Plasma decision panasonic vs pioneer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 119 Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ive been shopping for a 42" plasma, and i've got it narrowed down to 42px60u (hadnt given much thought to the 600u, but i like that it has a vga port) and the pioneer 4270HD, and i really like what the pioneer brings to the table, but i like the panasonic's price point better.
i was reading about the pioneer and it says its hdmi can accept 1080p sources...could someone explain this to me? as this is a 720p tv i'd assume it accepts the source and downscales it? Ive seen no mention of this on the panasonic. and is this feature and others on the pioneer really worth the price difference ($600 difference)

i'll be getting hd directv with dvr , and doing some light console gaming and dvd watching on the set, the room doesnt really have a problem with light or anything, and i'll be sitting about 7.5 - 8ft away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
When you compare the two sets at the store which do you like best? You have to live with it
post #3 of 119 Old 10-13-2006, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

You will find no final answer here. The only opinion that really counts is yours. Take a long, hard look at both displays. Consider the features, the looks of the set, and final price.
post #4 of 119 Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

ive looked at both, they both look good to me (or as good as they can on the split signal display at the big box stores) the pioneer had a nice fit and finish to it, but i think some of that had to do with the cosmetic difference if piano black vs silver.

the big key is that the pioneer claims it will accept 1080p sources and display them properly. which i was reading in htmag that the pioneers they tested passed the 1080p tests, and the panasonic failed the 3:2. though i have no plans to get hd-dvd or blueray anytime soon. just not sure if its worth the price difference or not.....anythings an improvement over a 27" sd tv
post #5 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
If you like both I'd go with the Panasonic. It is sounding like TV technology may take a significant increase in PQ the next few years and the $1k you save could be put towards an upgrade . Just my opinion anyway.
post #6 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

went looking again today and kept looking at the hitachi's, panasonic and pioneer, and i kept coming back to the pioneer....if price was the same i'd get it hands down, on a better feed it looked much better than the panasonic, colors were sharp and natural looking. the hitachi seemed good but maybe a little red/pink. the panasonic is somewhere in the middle, and has the best price point.

side question, i've searched the forums and couldnt find an answer.... plasma's...get the extended warranty or no? i'd been told plasma's were ok without em but dlp's they were good to have.
post #7 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The choice is up to you..did a price check..on average the Pioneer will cost about 500 dollars more. I believe the Panny would serve you well.
post #8 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 01:59 PM

iam in the same boat as you. i too wanted to go originally with panasonic but after seeing the pioneer i was torn between the two. I did find that the pioneer in my opinion had better picture and color settings. plus it looks way better too.
of course the price tag on pioneer makes me step back and go back to panasonic, but everything else always bring me back to pioneer.

I say if you think saving 600 is worth it just to settle for something less then i think you are wrong. I made my decision to go with pioneer. Yes i spend more now, but when you factor in your enjoyment level from watching tv you really want ... there is no price tag on that.

you know u want the pioneer. Go For It! you can always save a few bucks by staying in and watching some movies.

I dont think the warranty is worth it. Chances of something happening are very slim. save yet another few bucks

-KIRILL-
post #9 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
i looked at both of these sets, and thought both had outstanding PQ, head and shoulders above the rest. i'd give the slight edge to the pioneer in image quality, but i ended up going with the panny. that small difference in PQ wasn't worth the extra 1K it would have taken to get the pio. that is the type of personal decision each of us ends up having to make, no matter what advice we get from others.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #10 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentz View Post

i was reading about the pioneer and it says its hdmi can accept 1080p sources...could someone explain this to me? as this is a 720p tv i'd assume it accepts the source and downscales it? Ive seen no mention of this on the panasonic. and is this feature and others on the pioneer really worth the price difference ($600 difference)

i'll be getting hd directv with dvr , and doing some light console gaming and dvd watching on the set, the room doesnt really have a problem with light or anything, and i'll be sitting about 7.5 - 8ft away.

To answer your 1080P input question:

The display resolution of both screens (pioneer and Panny) is 1024x768 in the 42" models. If in the future you purchased a Blu-ray player that could display films in true 1080P resolution, you could feed this non-processed image directly into the Pioneer and the Pioneer would only have to process the picture once to get the 1024x768 resolution.

With the Panny, you'd have to set the Blu-ray player to process the image into 1080i format before sending it to the TV. The Panny would then have to process this 'already processed' signal to get to the 1024x768 resolution. It is always better to have the picture processed only once or not at all (with a pioneer ProFHD1).
post #11 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

In my local bb, the pioneers always look best. I don't think they do any adjustments, though so if you want the best otb performance, they may be the best bet, despite the cost difference. Then again, the pioneers 3:3 pull down is not something you should take lightly if a big movie fan. If it was my main display, and I planned on keeping it 3 years as my main display, it would be the pioneer.
post #12 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 03:54 PM

Also, as far as the warranty goes, I just purchased the 50" pioneer and did not get the extended warranty even though it was offered to me at a very low price (less than $300 for four additional years). I did however use my Platinum Visa which has 'Purchase Guard' which doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to an additional year for free. Check your credit cards as many offer similar benefits.
post #13 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 04:16 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

If you like both I'd go with the Panasonic. It is sounding like TV technology may take a significant increase in PQ the next few years and the $1k you save could be put towards an upgrade . Just my opinion anyway.

Very good advice. I purchased a 50 inch Panny and it looks good to me, I don't care about Gary Merson's test, which to me is a "red herring". I plan to have it calibrated later on. Most people are not optimizing the displays and getting most out of them anyway. Keeping updated of the SED front helped me to make my decision. Go cheap now and save money that can go towards a true upgrade.
post #14 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 04:18 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteves View Post

In my local bb, the pioneers always look best. I don't think they do any adjustments, though so if you want the best otb performance, they may be the best bet, despite the cost difference. Then again, the pioneers 3:3 pull down is not something you should take lightly if a big movie fan. If it was my main display, and I planned on keeping it 3 years as my main display, it would be the pioneer.

But I understand that the Panny's have better blacks, something you really shouldn't take lightly if you are a movie buff.
post #15 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I believe so, and I'm glad I got a panasonic myself, but I wish they did 72Hz.
post #16 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 04:46 PM

Rentz, I agonized over the same choices for a long time. I've also seen your kind of question come up time and time again. As many had pointed out, both sets are very much similar in many features. It boils down to your PQ preference and how much you're willing to spend.

FTR, I pulled a plug on 4270 today. It'll be delivered next Saturday. Woo Hoo!
post #17 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

But I understand that the Panny's have better blacks, something you really shouldn't take lightly if you are a movie buff.

That depends. On/Off ratio....absolutely. ANSI...hell no.
post #18 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

i think im leaning towards the pioneer, because its the only set that has looked good in all conditions, some stores were bright, and it looked fine....bad sources and it handled them well....plus i was reading some and it uses less power than post plasma's.....but that price is still a bit steeper than i'd like.
post #19 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

i think im leaning towards the pioneer, because its the only set that has looked good in all conditions, some stores were bright, and it looked fine....bad sources and it handled them well....plus i was reading some and it uses less power than post plasma's.....but that price is still a bit steeper than i'd like.

You may want to contact one of the forum sponsors like Invision Displays
post #20 of 119 Old 10-14-2006, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
both are good sets, but Pioneers have the better overall picture (better color rendering, better glass, better scaler), while the panny's are said to have better blacks (i dont see that at all with the Elites whatsoever).

another thing to consider is, you will not be able to use the PIP functionality with the Panny if you are feeding your source via HDMI!! one of those wierd quorks Panny's have.

Panny's are cheaper though, and very good PQ, so if you wanna save a few $$ it would be the way to go, but my vote goes to Pioneer
post #21 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND777 View Post

To answer your 1080P input question:

The display resolution of both screens (pioneer and Panny) is 1024x768 in the 42" models. If in the future you purchased a Blu-ray player that could display films in true 1080P resolution, you could feed this non-processed image directly into the Pioneer and the Pioneer would only have to process the picture once to get the 1024x768 resolution.

With the Panny, you'd have to set the Blu-ray player to process the image into 1080i format before sending it to the TV. The Panny would then have to process this 'already processed' signal to get to the 1024x768 resolution. It is always better to have the picture processed only once or not at all (with a pioneer ProFHD1).

Not correct. The Panasonic accepts 1080p input as well.
post #22 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 03:36 AM

I was caught in the same dilemma not more than 45 days ago. But based on my research I thought panny was the clear choice and never even considered pioneer, but when viewing the panny it didn't overly impress especially with rapid/fast action where movement looked crude to put it nicely and also flesh tones somewhat artificial. Like others I was drawn to the pioneer due to the black bezel (can't stand silver) and processor/software that rendered superior fast-action. IMO, if you want great deep blacks and value the pannies are a good choice, but pioneers although pricier they to my eye provide a noticeably better picture quality. If I could fault the pioneer would be that greens are overly saturated tending to look artificial. The best advise anyone can give is let your eyes judge and after considering factors important to you make your decision.
post #23 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

well after viewing several plasma's and getting input here, i'm leaning towards the pioneer for the extra money if i stick with my decision to get a plasma, though i'm still considering other technologies, like the sony sxrd's and samsung/sharp lcd's (though vizio is nice as well)
the ONE thing i worry about most with plasma is image retention. i'll be watching a lot of sports, and i'm worried that static image of the score will get stuck on the tv until i wash over it with another image. the glare doesnt bother me so much, as my crt has a fair amount of glare and i'm used to it
post #24 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

well after viewing several plasma's and getting input here, i'm leaning towards the pioneer for the extra money if i stick with my decision to get a plasma, though i'm still considering other technologies, like the sony sxrd's and samsung/sharp lcd's (though vizio is nice as well)
the ONE thing i worry about most with plasma is image retention. i'll be watching a lot of sports, and i'm worried that static image of the score will get stuck on the tv until i wash over it with another image. the glare doesnt bother me so much, as my crt has a fair amount of glare and i'm used to it

if you want size and are not too interested in PQ, the SXRD is also good.....but its nowhere NEAR the Pioneer Elite PQ for example! Specially with no-to good HD sources and SD/NTSC.

Click on my sig and you will see what I've had (1 LCD rptv, 3 SXRDs, now the plasma Elite 1130.....) in the past 1.5 years. If you do a good burn-in for the first 200hours of your plasma, you wont have to worry about IR

good luck
post #25 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM

I'm in the same boat right now . Can't decide between 600u/5070/9uk .

While I've accepted that picture looks better on Pioneers in store. I wish there were some pics of calibrated Panny next to Pio, because in stores those Vivid settings ruin
Panasonic picture.

Right now for me the most important factor is how susceptible these displays to the image retention. Iamb a movie buff so I prefer watching everything in the correct AR, that means black bars. And I watch a lot of vintage movies and that means black bars on the sides.
From what I read on this forum, it seems Pioneer threads have more reports of people who seems to be experiencing IR. Panasonic looks to be more robust in this area.

Is there any review/research that specifically tests for IR issues ?
post #26 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
At first I was looking to get one of the 9UK Pannys, but after doing some more research it looks like the Pio 5070 might be the way to go for me.....even though they are very expensive
post #27 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=KLee]At first I was looking to get one of the 9UK Pannys, but after doing some more research it looks like the Pio 5070 might be the way to go for me.....even though they are very expensive [/QUOTe

The Pioneer 5070 is only about $500 more than a Panny commercial unit, which you have to buy a stand for and, probably, a HDMI board.
post #28 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

If a person is comparing a commercial monitor like a Panny it is best, also, to compare it with a monitor such as the Pioneer 507cmx. In the end, they are both about same price.
post #29 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

so, are plasma's not good to game on at all, was reading in the burn-in thread and saw several people with ir from gaming, i'm not really wanting to spend 2+grand on a tv and have to scrub off ir everytime i play madden.....i understand the tv needs a 100-200hr breakin period which means no games during that time, but im reading people having ir well after that.
post #30 of 119 Old 10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I game all the time somdays 6+ hours. Late at night drinking beer when there's nothing to do. Play in game mode. It keeps settings @50% I gamed after 50hr just for a hour or so.BUt I play shooters like Halo2 live and Call of Duty . Screen always changes. Arcade or rpg games I would be careful. But @4mo later no ir no burning. Game mode keeps the power down also so it's not so bright. You would never beable to tell the pic is awesome. PPL get IR when tv isn't broken or settings are to high
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page