Pioneer 5070 Game/Pc Monitor? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

So i am planning on purchasing a Pioneer 5070 this christmas (on Dec 15, that is when finals are over for College*) and would like some input on how the pioneer 5070 holds up with playing video games, currently i just have PS2 but will eventually upgrade to xbox 360 or ps3. I also would like to know how this TV holds up as a computer monitor, I currently have a great graphics video card and will be using the extra video out component on my video card to connect to my pioneer plasma. Any pictures or additional information concerning this topic would be GREAT!! (I.E. Calibration for 5070 or what not) Thanks in advance!!!!! :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM

A plasma as a PC monitor?

I don't think that's a good idea, but then again, what do I know as Fujitsu's new 50" plasma has a DVI-D input :confused:
If it's actually feasable to use a plasma as a PC monitor and not damage your display permenantly I would love to read about it. If that is the case then you should conjure up the cash and go for that Fujitsu instead, my guess is it would display a ludicrously nice PC image. Not sure how much it'll cost you though :p ;)

Oh, and if this 'plasma as a PC monitor' thing doesn't play out, then you might want to wait til December for Sony's 52" XBR2/3's coming out. The 46" does a stunning PC image through VGA (I've even read of perfect 1920x1080 through DVI->HDMI), and the 52" is sure to deliver the same.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutz42
A plasma as a PC monitor?

I don't think that's a good idea, but then again, what do I know as Fujitsu's new 50" plasma has a DVI-D input :confused:
If it's actually feasable to use a plasma as a PC monitor and not damage your display permenantly I would love to read about it. If that is the case then you should conjure up the cash and go for that Fujitsu instead, my guess is it would display a ludicrously nice PC image. Not sure how much it'll cost you though :p ;)

Oh, and if this 'plasma as a PC monitor' thing doesn't play out, then you might want to wait til December for Sony's 52" XBR2/3's coming out. The 46" does a stunning PC image through VGA (I've even read of perfect 1920x1080 through DVI->HDMI), and the 52" is sure to deliver the same.

well.. haha.. i guess i should be more specific, i plan on only using the Pioneer 5070 as a part time PC monitor, mainly to just watch some movies on it off my computer or maybe play a game or so. I didn't think about the burn-in or IR from a PC, but thank you for bringing that up, i do plan on breaking in the PLasma with the break-in dvd.

yes, i will also use the DVI->HDMI on the plasma. Thank you for the consideration of Sony's 52'' coming out on DEC. but i kind of don't want to spend more than 3 g's on it.
post #4 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I broke my 5071 in with D-nice's settings and left discovery HD on all continuous for 200 hours. I can tell you that I have played and beat the godfather game for the 360. I played over 30 hours in a span of 5 days and there was no IR or burn in what-so-ever. I used the "game" setting that came with the set. It keeps the contrast and brightness down so you really don't have to worry on that setting. The picture is truely amazing also with the 360 and the 5071. In december, you should be able to get a great price on the pio. It is a great TV.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

THANKS JOON TV for the advice, much appreciated!!!! I shall be sure to break it in first before i play any games or do anything w/the PC
post #6 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

also make sure if you happen to watch any programing with the black bars that you adjust the screen to fill the screen for the first 200 hours. This is just as a pre-caution.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of which, anyone running a PC through DVI/HDMI?

I want to keep that VGA port open for my 360 because I prefer the VGA look. I bought an DVI to HDMI adapter from Monster... (ew) and it was too big to fit into the slot. I am now opting for a DVI-D Female to a VGA adapter... but anyone find a DVI to hdmi adapter that fits? If so, how does it look?

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #8 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon TV
In december, you should be able to get a great price on the pio. It is a great TV.
Can you please tell more about this ? I'm in the market for this set. Is there a price drop on the horizon ? I can wait couple of months if it means big savings.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Christmas Sales Neko :)

post #10 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Yes that is what I was referring to was the christmas sales. If you can hold off even more the best time to buy a TV is the two weeks before the super bowl. That is when most stores have their biggest sales. The price I got my 5071 for from BB is still a phenomenal deal and will be for the next 6 months. All I have to say is, don't be afraid to tip the sales guy, you will be amazed how much that price drops especially that those guys don't work on commission.
post #11 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
cash0071, the option for use with Pio as a PC monitor would be the VGA using SVGA or higher rated cable. If you use component the text will look too blurry. SVGA(UXGA) into VGA port will increase the quality of the text and pictures. The DVI-D is best for text quality, but the Pio's do not have it. So going VGA is the best solution, plus you will retain "full" range of resolutions to choose from in PC gaming and desktop resolutions.

As for the Fujitsu, the older model has DVI-D input, but not the new model. The P50XHA40US is the older model, but still is one of the best TV out there. Let's put it this way, it whoops my Panny TV. ;)

Pio's are very nice. Don't get me wrong. You have made a great choice on that.

And Yes, I use both DVI-D on my Panny 9UK and SVGA on my Panny 7UY. Both are 50". My text quality on the DVI-D is incredible. Razor sharp text and perfectly even across the screen in any directions you see. I also play PC games as well.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Dumb question maybe, but, hey, the only research I've done is in regards to LCD panels. I'm pretty clueless about plasmas.

That said - I know they don't have a "response time" measurement like LCDs, but how are high quality plasmas like this in general for gaming?

We do not train to be merciful here.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Casualty
Dumb question maybe, but, hey, the only research I've done is in regards to LCD panels. I'm pretty clueless about plasmas.

That said - I know they don't have a "response time" measurement like LCDs, but how are high quality plasmas like this in general for gaming?
Just played Madden on the Plasma... one game. No Image Retention what-so-ever. And I was daring... played it before it was fully broken in, I think I got 36 hours.

Ballsy, or stupid...

Hehe.

Anyway, I think this set is going back. Those stuck pixels are getting noticeable. But for gaming these sets are great.

LCD might be a better choice in the daytime though.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM

Good Choice in Plasma's, that model has one of the best displays and is worth every penny spent
post #15 of 22 Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez
cash0071, the option for use with Pio as a PC monitor would be the VGA using SVGA or higher rated cable. If you use component the text will look too blurry. SVGA(UXGA) into VGA port will increase the quality of the text and pictures. The DVI-D is best for text quality, but the Pio's do not have it. So going VGA is the best solution, plus you will retain "full" range of resolutions to choose from in PC gaming and desktop resolutions.

As for the Fujitsu, the older model has DVI-D input, but not the new model. The P50XHA40US is the older model, but still is one of the best TV out there. Let's put it this way, it whoops my Panny TV. ;)

Pio's are very nice. Don't get me wrong. You have made a great choice on that.

And Yes, I use both DVI-D on my Panny 9UK and SVGA on my Panny 7UY. Both are 50". My text quality on the DVI-D is incredible. Razor sharp text and perfectly even across the screen in any directions you see. I also play PC games as well.
Thanks for the tip!!! I do hope that the price will drop on this Plasma soon... i don't think i have reviewed or price checked the Fujitsu b/c most articles i read and forum post rave about the pio 5070
post #16 of 22 Old 10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
you can go to the 5070 official owners thread and read all kinds of posts on gaming. no need to start another thread for it.
post #17 of 22 Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM

I found that computer input looked better on the Plasmas (pioneer) than the Sony LCD XBR3s. I hooked up my laptop to both using DVI to HDMI. By far, the pioneer looked better. It's too bad too because the XBR LCD was cheaper than my Elite 1140.
post #18 of 22 Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas
I found that computer input looked better on the Plasmas (pioneer) than the Sony LCD XBR3s. I hooked up my laptop to both using DVI to HDMI. By far, the pioneer looked better. It's too bad too because the XBR LCD was cheaper than my Elite 1140.

oh thats good to know, when you hooked up your plasma did you notice any blurring in the text or was it crystal clear? I am not sure to use either a VGA to VGA or a DVI to HDMI, i currently have a 7800 GT BFG Overclocked card on my system
post #19 of 22 Old 10-25-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez
Speaking of which, anyone running a PC through DVI/HDMI?

I want to keep that VGA port open for my 360 because I prefer the VGA look. I bought an DVI to HDMI adapter from Monster... (ew) and it was too big to fit into the slot. I am now opting for a DVI-D Female to a VGA adapter... but anyone find a DVI to hdmi adapter that fits? If so, how does it look?
Dark1x mentioned problems with the 360 and the VGA port on the 4271HD in the 7th generation pioneer thread. He said you would get verticle tearing easily...you may want to search through that thread to check it out a bit more.

Dustin
post #20 of 22 Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAnoobieCheez
The DVI-D is best for text quality, but the Pio's do not have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essogas
I hooked up my laptop to both using DVI to HDMI.

This will make my decision... Will the 9UK be a better plasma for PC (video, PC games) because of the DVI blade direct to my DVI card? Or, will the Pio be just as good (better?) with a DVI-> HDMI cable? Thanks
post #21 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 02:53 PM

Would love to know the response to that questions.....
post #22 of 22 Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 PM

Location: I come from a distant space where no one has gone before. The temperature is aight. The planet has a purple sky tho and the gravity is slightly less than that of earth. Oh yeah I got plenty of gas.....
The lesser the conversion, the better it gets.

Yah, the direct connection with DVI-D on the Panny is better, because, it will give you a perfect 1:1 pixel mapped 1366 x 768. The most noticeable benefit is the extreme clean and sharp text quality. It just can't get better than this.

But the down side is that whether you go HDMI or DVI the video game resolutions will come to a limitation. You will have much less of choice to change resolutions, and you will not be able to run 1366x768. Either 1024x768 or 800x600. I have yet to see any games that will provide 1366x768 with DVI or HDMI connections.

The most powerful tool found in this universe for adjusting resolutions for gaming and desktop is the VGA. Get a good quality SVGA cable, which will provide good PQ at high resolutions. eh eh..

But even with my DVI, with 1024x768 resolution in gaming, I just jack up the Anti Aliasing to the max and with 16X AF and maximum mip map levels, the resulting picture gets very impressive.

But with my PHD7UY using SVGA, I get best PQ with 1600x1200 w/ 16x AF & 2x AA or 1920x1080 w/ 16x AF & 4x AA. The 1920x1080 causes more jaggieness than the 1600x1200 due to lesser veritcal rendering resolutions.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page