Vizio VP42 Plasma HDTV - Official Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 568 Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never had that problem. I'd like to think that you put new batteries in the remote and gave it a try...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 568 Old 08-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Rider View Post

Never had that problem. I'd like to think that you put new batteries in the remote and gave it a try...

That was my first thought too, but we actually have two remotes, both with fresh batteries, and it responds to neither. It's like the IR receiver has to warm up. It doesn't matter the time of day or ambient light. Also, when you turn it off, it won't respond to "power on" for a couple of minutes.
post #543 of 568 Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 AM

I had the same problem for 4-5 months where after power on you would have to wait 15-20 sec before it responded to remote. 2 days ago while watching tv I heard a click and it died. No power light just dead. I was fortunate and C****o allowed me to return it. I hope the same doesn't happen to you.
post #544 of 568 Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrue View Post

I had the same problem for 4-5 months where after power on you would have to wait 15-20 sec before it responded to remote. 2 days ago while watching tv I heard a click and it died. No power light just dead. I was fortunate and C****o allowed me to return it. I hope the same doesn't happen to you.

Really? Mine doesn't respond to the remote (when using the tuner) until the tuner has tuned a channel. Probably takes about 10-15 seconds. Haven't tried going straight to another input.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #545 of 568 Old 08-06-2009, 07:31 AM

I never used the digital tuner. My remote didn't work right away on all the other inputs: av, hdmi, and component.
post #546 of 568 Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 AM

Hey guys,
I found this set for less then $600 at Wal-Mart and wanted a quick answer. I am interested in this set for my bedroom... the size is right and at the price, I think I found the tv but just was curious of the overall opinion on it for casual blu-ray/ Hd-dvd viewing and some Xbox 360 gaming?

I was thinking about just going with like a 32in LCD but for about the same price, I can get this set... so just wanted to see what you all think?

Thanks a lot!

I am officially seeing Purple
post #547 of 568 Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably not the same set (this one has big silver speakers below the screen), but I've had mine for about 2 years and love it. No issues at all. Using PC on occasion to watch Hulu.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #548 of 568 Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else with the VP42 noticed that Fox live events are now choppy (stutter) when using an OTA signal going through the built in tuner?

I know that others are seeing it on TWC boxes, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one seeing this via OTA and my Vizio tuner? Might be time to move on to another brand

My Little Theater
post #549 of 568 Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Has anyone else with the VP42 noticed that Fox live events are now choppy (stutter) when using an OTA signal going through the built in tuner?

I know that others are seeing it on TWC boxes, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one seeing this via OTA and my Vizio tuner? Might be time to move on to another brand

Somethings going on with Fox and it's sporting events and it's also affecting OTA as well. There is quite the lenghty thread on HD Programing about Fox's infamous stuttering, it's not your TV.

If it was everything would be stuttering your TV doens't discrininate.
post #550 of 568 Old 10-12-2009, 07:53 PM
HND

well my vp42 of almost exactly 2 years is fubared. powers up no picture. i'm not sure about sound because i turned off the speakers in lieu of my sound system and i can't access teh menu because i have no screen.

what a terrible terrible day...geesh...well off to complain to tech support who will do nothing for me i assume.
post #551 of 568 Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HND View Post

well my vp42 of almost exactly 2 years is fubared. powers up no picture. i'm not sure about sound because i turned off the speakers in lieu of my sound system and i can't access teh menu because i have no screen.

what a terrible terrible day...geesh...well off to complain to tech support who will do nothing for me i assume.

Where did you buy? Costco extends the warranty to 2 years and so do a lot of credit cards. Mine is now 30 months old with no issues...knock of plastic.

My Little Theater
post #552 of 568 Old 10-13-2009, 06:43 AM
HND

i bought it online as a refurb. risky play on my part that didn't play out.
post #553 of 568 Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM
HND

was a great tv before hand.

my problem is i almost want to shy away from a vizio now. but the menu is perfect for me. i like that each component has its own button. makes it super easy for my commander remote to switch between components.
post #554 of 568 Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HND View Post

was a great tv before hand.

my problem is i almost want to shy away from a vizio now. but the menu is perfect for me. i like that each component has its own button. makes it super easy for my commander remote to switch between components.

If it makes you feel any better all of the following Vizios in my family

1) 42" Plamsa 30 months old no issues (Mine)
2) 32" LCD 24 months old no issues (grandparents)
3) 32" LCD 26 months old no issues (cousin)
4) 37" LCD 28 months old no issues (cousin)
5) 32" LCD 2 months old no issues (parents)

So fare we have had good luck with these TV's and would buy again. Just to note that none of these were refurbs, but rather all new.

My Little Theater
post #555 of 568 Old 10-15-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

On my late and unlamented VP42, the adpative luma control LOOKED like it stayed off, but it actually didn't. I had to cycle it (on, then off again) to actually turn it off, every time the TV was turned off or changed resolutions. Such a pain in the ass.

I noticed the same behavior on my VP42. The adaptive luma feature doesn't seem to be very helpful when playing games, since it makes dark areas very dark.

You can simply go into the menu, open Advanced Picture Settings, then scroll to Adaptive Luma, and press "Select" on your remote to shut it back off (assuming it's already set to "off", of course).

Overall, I enjoy this TV, especially for the $600 I paid for it.
post #556 of 568 Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM
HND

i took it in. my y sustain mainboard went out. meanwhile to my chagrin, of the tv's he had in the waiting area either waiting to be looked at or ready to be picked up, 1/3 of them were lg/vizio....eek. i asked if he was an authorized repair guy and thats why he had so many and he said no...he just sees alot of them....yikes.

350 bucks for the repair....looks like i'm in the market for a new tv.
post #557 of 568 Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

These TV's do have an LG plasma panel in them, so seeing them together is no real surprise.

My Little Theater
post #558 of 568 Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM

I hate to bump this but hopefully someone can help me out. Did some searching in the thread and cannot find the answer.

The tuner in this set should pick up some channels in HD correct?

I'm in Phoenix and just came from my folks house. They have basic cable no set top box. I connected their other Vizio 32" newer model and it broadcasted the local stations CBS, NBC in HD.

I can't get this set to do it...help.
post #559 of 568 Old 11-25-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, it should. I used mine that way for a while, but now use OTA only. It is possible that the tuner has gone bad. I would try an antenna to see if you get any channels.

If the TV is getting some channels, it could be that the QAM tuner went bad. Did you go through all of the channels after the channel scan using the up/down on the remote. Sometimes the QAM channels come in on weird numbers and can vary from TV to TV.

My Little Theater
post #560 of 568 Old 11-25-2009, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did. Ran the channel scan 2-3 times no luck.

When I get to what should be an HD channel it says something like cannot locate signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Yes, it should. I used mine that way for a while, but now use OTA only. It is possible that the tuner has gone bad. I would try an antenna to see if you get any channels.

If the TV is getting some channels, it could be that the QAM tuner went bad. Did you go through all of the channels after the channel scan using the up/down on the remote. Sometimes the QAM channels come in on weird numbers and can vary from TV to TV.

post #561 of 568 Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 AM

A friend just had her 42P serviced (new video and audio card I think?) and asked me to hook up a HDMI cable for her. She had only used a composite cable and never new she wasn't getting a HD signal. After I had connected her display with a HDMI cable I noticed small colored flickering specs on her display when the black bars were present. Upon furthor viewing we could see a green to orange bleed through of the "set up menu" depending on what color background was being displayed and was more visible with the most vivid color setting. This was the same for component and composite connections and for cable and DVD media. She told me that the service person had done some internal color adjustments but had not noticed the bleed through until I hooked up the HDMI. I thought it might be a bad HDMI cable but the bleed through was there with Component and Composite cables. Does anyone have any thoughts so my friend can discuss this problem with her service rep.

tmoss
post #562 of 568 Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Having a similar problem with my vp42. Hooked my xbox up to HDMI and I get green specks...most noticeably when running modern warfare 2. When sitting in the waiting screen for xbox live the background "smoke" has green specks in it. Only on HDMI.
post #563 of 568 Old 12-30-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post

Having a similar problem with my vp42. Hooked my xbox up to HDMI and I get green specks...most noticeably when running modern warfare 2. When sitting in the waiting screen for xbox live the background "smoke" has green specks in it. Only on HDMI.

I have seen this issue several times, but it hasn't been the TV's fault. When the Xbox 360's video chip is about to die, it starts showing corruption in the graphics. If you aren't seeing the green specks while using any other devices on your television, I would say the Xbox is most likely the issue.
post #564 of 568 Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM

even if it's only HDMI but not component?
post #565 of 568 Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM

I occasionally get tired of my picture settings or think something isn't right. I finally decided to try the Sony picture calibration easter egg as a starting point. Here's what I came up with...

Picture Mode:
Contrast - 58
Brightness - 54
Color - 51
Tint - +1
Sharpness - 1

Color Temperature:
cool.
Picture Adjust:
all off.

(my living room is pretty well lit by the sun during the day and a couple lights during the evening. I have DirecTV and usually watch sports or movies, in HD when available. I use my PS3 as my blu-ray/dvd player. Occasionally I'll play a video game on 360. That said, these settings are the best combination I've found to get the best picture quality for what I watch/do with my vp42. It's a great tv. I've had it since 12/06 and I love it. Still has a great picture. Hope my suggested picture settings help.)
post #566 of 568 Old 01-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post

even if it's only HDMI but not component?

I'm not sure exactly how the 360 works, but it could use a separate circuit to output to HDMI as opposed to the component/composite cable. If you have any other devices with HDMI output, I would try plugging them in to the TV and see if the green specks are there. Then try using another HDMI cable if you still see the specks. If they're still there, then I would take it to a TV repair shop, or even Best Buy, to see if they can tell you what the problem is with the TV.
post #567 of 568 Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard25 View Post

Judging from the activity on this thread, I don't know if I'll show up on anyone's radar... but here goes...

I have been a happy owner of a VP42 for quite some time, and just recently it has been exhibiting an odd behavior. When I turn on the set, it is unresponsive for remote commands for up to a minute. Then, it responds and is fine until it gets turned off. Then, the next time you turn it on, same problem.

1. Is anyone else having this problem?
2. Is there an easy fix?

Redbeard, or anyone else, did you find a solution to this issue? Mine has recently started doing this and I was just wondering what I'm in for? Is the whole set going to die? I've had it since '07 and it's been a champ since then. I have no complaints other then this issue starting up.
post #568 of 568 Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Anyone got a valid 1024x768x60Hz modeline for hooking up a computer to a VP42 over hdmi? I'm only able to get 640x480x60Hz by default.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page