Vizio VP42 Plasma HDTV - Official Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 568 Old 01-18-2007, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the buzzing noise is only with the hdmi cable, not the component. 2 hdmi inputs is the reason I got this tv, so it would be a waste not to be able to use it. it seems like a better move to exchange it back at costco (or get my money back) then have vizo replace it. I don't want to be stuck with a tv that is always going to be giving me a headache
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 568 Old 01-18-2007, 06:54 PM

I've heard the buzzing....but have grown rather accustom to it. I have to really listen in to notice it. It sounds like a high-frequency buzz...regardless if the speakers are muted or not. Its not as much that the buzz is noticeable...its when you turn the tv off and the buzz goes away that you realize it was buzzing.
post #93 of 568 Old 01-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Bought one home today (my first plasma), and I would like to know the break-in procedure?
post #94 of 568 Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 PM

I bought the VP42 [EDIT]. It is really the only plasma in this price range with decent features, which is the reason I bought it. I think the picture is great and the features are excellent for a budget TV. I am having a problem with the buzzing/high-pitch noise. The buzzing isn't that bad. I only hear it when I mute the TV during commercials. It is the high-pitch noise that makes me want to stab my ears with an ice pick. It only does it when the TV has been on for an hour or so, then it goes away after the TV has been on for about two hours. It drives me nuts though. It is loud enough that when people come over, they ask what the terrible noise is. I was hoping this was just a defect on this particular unit, but after reading some posts on this forum, it sounds like it is a big problem. I am just wondering if I should take it back to Costco and try another unit, or if I should buy a different product altogether. Any advice would be appreciated.
post #95 of 568 Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM

i have not had any problems with my vp 42. bought it on black friday at costco. its a beautiful thing! you may need to replace the unit, but I can't see why you would walk away from the model altogether. Its a great bargain
post #96 of 568 Old 01-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Bought one home today (my first plasma), and I would like to know the break-in procedure?

I would suggest just setting the PQ to your taste and forgetting about the break-in worries. I did exactly this, knowing I could/would return the set if I had even a slight burn-in, retention problem. I just enjoyed the set without doing anything special. Now, after two months and no problems I can say I am glad I decided not to make myself crazy over this. Yeah!!
post #97 of 568 Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 AM

Has anyone dealt with Vizio's service? I contacted them on Saturday and by the time the tech created the case, the service department was closed. He gave me their number (714-668-2910) and my case number and said to call back on Monday. I have called yesterday and today and I get nothing but a busy signal. Is this typical? Am I supposed to keep calling in until I get put on hold instead of busy?

My problem is with the OTA digital tuner on my P42HDTV. I've tried moving the antenna around, hooking up an amplified antenna, etc. I get analog channels but when the TV scans for digital channels, I get nothing. I know that I can receive them, since the Philips before it got digital channels.

Thanks!

Also, how much burn-in is allowable for a Plasma? I can see a ghost of the Digital channel scan menu after it closes, as an example.
post #98 of 568 Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmaxx View Post

Has anyone dealt with Vizio's service? I contacted them on Saturday and by the time the tech created the case, the service department was closed. He gave me their number (714-668-2910) and my case number and said to call back on Monday. I have called yesterday and today and I get nothing but a busy signal. Is this typical? Am I supposed to keep calling in until I get put on hold instead of busy?

My problem is with the OTA digital tuner on my P42HDTV. I've tried moving the antenna around, hooking up an amplified antenna, etc. I get analog channels but when the TV scans for digital channels, I get nothing. I know that I can receive them, since the Philips before it got digital channels.

Thanks!

Also, how much burn-in is allowable for a Plasma? I can see a ghost of the Digital channel scan menu after it closes, as an example.

I assume this goes away soon after. So that is image retention, not burn-in. Don't worry about it as it will dissappear soon. Burn-in never leaves.
post #99 of 568 Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have an idea why the SD channels coming through my comcast box look so grainy, when the same channels look really great going through the Vizio's tuner with cable plugged directly into tv? I am running Component from the box to the TV.

I am amazed at the way over the air HD works. The same channels (local abc, nbc, cbs, and Fox affiliates) don't come in very well at all (fuzzy, lines, and all the typical symptoms of a far away signal), but the HD channels are crisp ands clean. Now when the cable goes out I won't be without crisp clear local channels. I only wish more things would be broadcast digital, I noticed that a couple local channels not only have the HD channel, but another channel as well ie. Channel 2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3.
Our local WB/CW channel even has The Tube in digital. Cable only recently got this and it's only available on the more expensive package, but it's free over the air on a broadcast digital channel.

Any idea how to get my DVD's to look better on my Vizio? I have noticed that they don't seem as crisp now.
post #100 of 568 Old 01-29-2007, 08:26 PM

Can anyone please measure and post the dimensions of the TV stand? I would like to get a matching TV stand if possible. Has anyone found a slim matching stand? Thanks!
post #101 of 568 Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM

This is just for the record.
I bought a VP42 last night from Costco. Plugged it into my Intel mac mini via dvi -> hdmi. The mini recognized the TV and set the resolution to 1024x768 with 66 for a refresh rate. Screen was blank until changing the refresh rate to 60 and now it looks perfect. No overscan issues or shifted picture or custom resolution.

After reading about all the problems with minis and dvi->hdmi I was prepared for an hour worth of adjustments, so I was left feeling a little unsatisfied when it worked so perfectly.
post #102 of 568 Old 02-02-2007, 09:49 PM

I also bought my tv on black fri. First i had the occasional buzzing then a month later it progress to a piercing high pitch noise occasionally and finally today it finished it off by not displaying anything at all. I couldn't even turn the damn thing off by pressing the power button on the TV itself. I have to yank it out of the outlet! Good thing i got it from Costco, getting it replaced tommorow. Should i even try to get the same one? Or should i go an get something else?

Here's what i was using:
HDMI 1: PS3
HDMI 2: Comcast HD box via DVI-HDMI cable
TV: Cable directly from the wall
post #103 of 568 Old 02-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Ok - based upon the reviews here AND looking at the Vizio at Costco, I purchased it yesterday. Love the features and the price - and I don't have any buzzing...

But what I do have questions about is the display. During the daytime, the screen looks really washed out. I played with the settings, but couldn't find anything satisfactory. Even tried the settings recommended here... Specifically, black don't look black - more of a washed out gray.

I did notice that once it got dark, the picture quality seemed to improved significantly.

It sucks during the daytime... Anyone have any suggestions? Is this the nature of Plasma? The one in the store looked fine during the daytime..
post #104 of 568 Old 02-05-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naizer View Post

During the daytime, the screen looks really washed out. I played with the settings, but couldn't find anything satisfactory. Even tried the settings recommended here... Specifically, black don't look black - more of a washed out gray. I did notice that once it got dark, the picture quality seemed to improved significantly. It sucks during the daytime... Anyone have any suggestions? Is this the nature of Plasma? The one in the store looked fine during the daytime..

Not really. Any display will have different characteristics when viewed under very bright and very dark conditions. If you set the display parameters in the daytime under bright conditions and view the display at night under normal room lights, or in a dark room, the results will be different. You sort of have to reach a happy medium, or set up two different picture levels and switch back and forth depending on the time of day that you are viewing the display.

I have the 37 inch Vizio LCD in the bedroom in a niche made for a TV. Normally, it is pretty low light in there, so one setting works well all the time. I have my VP42 Vizio plasma in the game room, where it is well lit during the daytime, so I have to have the pic a little brighter than I would like at night, but it balances out for use in daytime. I have the same issue with my 56 inch Samsung DLP in the family room. I would rather have the display a little bright at night and easily viewable during the day, then perfect for night but too dim and washed out for daytime viewing. As long as you don't get a headache when watching it at night, that is my advice. Otherwise, go the two settings route and just toggle back and forth depending on the environment of the room.
post #105 of 568 Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 AM
AS8

How does this model compare overall to the from P42HD version (colors, quality, etc) besides having an additional HDMI slot?
post #106 of 568 Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM

I am trying to decide between the VP42 and the L42 (LCD) for me the most important thing was 2 HDMI, my DVD and cable box (SA 8300HD) both use that conection and my directivo uses component. My concern is that the room where it will go gets allot of sunlight in the morning as the windows face east, but after noon there wont be direct sunlight in there so I dont think glare off the plasma screen will be an issue.... Has anyone seen these two side by side? And do any of you have the measure ments of the viewable screen?
post #107 of 568 Old 02-14-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

well, as for the screen size they are identical. after all they are both 42". I own the 42" plasma and the 37" LCD. Both are good. I think the plasma has better blacks, but you have no worries about burn in with an LCD. I view the LCD under faily dark conditions (bedroom). The plasma is in the game room which gets plenty of light during the day. It is fine under those conditions. I don't think you will be disappointed either way.

I think it boils down to price difference (which is pretty small) and how critical you are on the picture (deep blacks). The burn in issue is debatable. Some say it is a non issue, others have had problems. I have kept my brightness and contrast turned down and do not let any static images, including letter boxed movies, remain on the screen. Maybe I am just paranoid. I have about 100 hours in now so I am getting less worried. that is supposed to be the "break in" period.

If you buy at Costco you can always exchange if you are not happy with your choice.
post #108 of 568 Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 AM

Thanks, I am going to check them out this weekend. Was goign to go for a 50" initially but most seating in the room is 8 feet or slightly less from the new built in entertainment center. The recess of it will also help reduce glare so I was leaning towards plasma , then I started reading all the information about LCD here. thanks for the responce. I think screen dimensions must be close to 20-12 x 36 for a 42 diagonal.
post #109 of 568 Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

word to the wise, get the 50" set. 8' is not that bad and you will regret it if you get the smaller set. I sit about 10 feet from a 56" DLP and I would love to have the 61" model but it was about 1/2 inch too wide for my space in my built in entertainment center. get teh biggest screen that will fit the space and your wallet. you will be happy you did
post #110 of 568 Old 02-14-2007, 02:54 PM

what gives with the brightness on the unit's specs "Brightness: 480 cd/m2 (typical)" - while I usuallly see a 1200 rating for most of the other brands...

I guess I'm trying to find out if this is really noticeable.
post #111 of 568 Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 AM

What is the difference between this VP42 and the refurb P42 model Tiger Direct sells?
post #112 of 568 Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 AM

Bump. They look to have the same specs to a noob such as myself. Anyone know?
post #113 of 568 Old 02-16-2007, 08:47 AM

Also can some more people post up their settings for their VP42HDTV's! I am not the best at eyeballing it. Also I seemed to be getting a picture using Components rather than HDMI! As far as I understand HDMI is digital while components are analog. Basically when using the HDMI I am getting pixalation or ghosting I guess around images while they are moving. Mainly watching sports games. Any suggestions? I have the Comcast Motorola DVR box for my cable!
post #114 of 568 Old 02-16-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I'm considering this TV and dumping my 32" LCD (Westinghouse LTV-32W6). My main concerns are the following:

1) Remote frequency - does it interfere with Sony equipment?
2) DTV 480i/p signal - does the TV show it 4:3 native or does it force a stretch?
3) Overscan - does this TV have any?

One of the most annoying things that my current TV does not have is any adjustable (or any at all) overscan. So, that means on every NBC HD program, I have to watch a yellow vertical bar on the left side of the screen and for every DTV program that has been converted from analog to digital I get to watch the constant flickering of the VBI lines at the top of the screen.

I also like to watch a lot of HD golf and the LCD does its best ghosting with this material. Any feedback is appreciated.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #115 of 568 Old 02-18-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Since I went ahead and bought this TV, I'll answer my own questions for any others interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

1) Remote frequency - does it interfere with Sony equipment? No, it does not
2) DTV 480i/p signal - does the TV show it 4:3 native or does it force a stretch? Yes, you can watch in it's native resolution and doesn't force a stretch
3) Overscan - does this TV have any?Yes, it has just enough overscan so that you don't see any of the garbage

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #116 of 568 Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 AM

If anyone is wondering what screws to use to mount the TV to a universal stand, here is the response I received from technical support:

"Model: VP42
Screw size: M8
length: 15mm
pitch: 1.25
Hole pattern (mm): 200 x 600

You can buy them at a hardware store such as ACE."
post #117 of 568 Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea~condos View Post

I've heard the buzzing....but have grown rather accustom to it. I have to really listen in to notice it. It sounds like a high-frequency buzz...regardless if the speakers are muted or not. Its not as much that the buzz is noticeable...its when you turn the tv off and the buzz goes away that you realize it was buzzing.

This is exactly what I hear with my 4 day old TV. I think it is just electrical noise from the unit running. My 20" Tube TV in the bedroom has a noticeable hum, that I have learned to ignore.

Maybe it is just my ears I can walk into a room and tell you if a CRT TV or Monitor is turned on, even if there is no sound coming out of it.

My Little Theater
post #118 of 568 Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

This is exactly what I hear with my 4 day old TV. I think it is just electrical noise from the unit running. My 20" Tube TV in the bedroom has a noticeable hum, that I have learned to ignore.

Maybe it is just my ears I can walk into a room and tell you if a CRT TV or Monitor is turned on, even if there is no sound coming out of it.

Some people can hear it, some people can't. Google "britain noise deterrent". Usually younger people can hear it.
post #119 of 568 Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adedude View Post

Some people can hear it, some people can't. Google "britain noise deterrent". Usually younger people can hear it.

I'm old (according to that article), but have good hearing, I guess At 33 I can still hear that sound...very annoying...I guess my question is, is the sound emitting from the TV a defect or is every set like this? I emailed Vizio support to see what they say.

My Little Theater
post #120 of 568 Old 02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the answer I received...I'm afraid that they don't have very competent people working at Vizio support. I did reply back to ask how and why this would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizio support View Post

Try turning up the Backlight in the Menu screen.

After several more emails, the tech support rep determined it was a defect. Said the only occasion where you may hear buzzing is at altitudes over 6500 feet....so I guess I will be making an exchange.

My Little Theater
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page