Vizio VP42 Plasma HDTV - Official Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 569 Old 11-25-2006, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I jumped on the Costco Black Friday special and got a couple of these (master b.r. & kid's loft).

I am awaiting to get the Avia disk, but for now I'll post what looks good at this stage. Once I get Avia and run the tests I'll share the data.

Brightness 55
Contrast 50
Color 46
Tint 54
Sharpness 0

For the price, this set is an excellent second or third home set. Bright screen with nice detail. SD leaves something to be desired but is definitely viewable. Two HDMI ports makes it very flexible.

I am by no means an expert, so take these comments for what they are worth. But you just can't beat the price/picture ratio. For the price of one "good" set I was able to buy these two!

Some relevant specs. from the manual:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Dot Pitch: 0.9mm (H) x 0676mm (V)
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Colors: 231 Billion
Brightness: 480 cd/m2
Contrast: 10,000:1
Viewing angle: 170 degrees
Inputs: 1x Co-axial RF (ATSC/QAM/NTSC), 2x HDMI with HDCP, 2x Component YPbPr plus Stereo audio, 1x RGB PC plus Stereo Audio, 1x S-Video plus Stereo Audio, 2x composite video plus stereo audio
Features: Single scan technology for higher contrast, reduced solarisation and reduced false contouring, PIP, POP, noise reduction, CC, V-chip, 3D comb filter, zoom, freeze, motion adaptive de-interlace, picture enhancement, MPEG-2 decoding via DTV input, NTSC video decoding via Video, progressive scan video via HDMI, component or RBG, HDTV via HDMI, component or RGB, sound enhancement.
Panel life: 60,000 hours to half the original brightness.

So far, I've noticed that the speakers are a little on the high pitch. I've also turned surround sound "off".

I hooked up my PowerBook G4 through an DVI > HDMI cable. Mac had no problem setting it up. Looks fantastic. I need to study this more as the image appears stretched hor. and the movies from the Mac look a bit unnatural. Might be a 1:1 issue, but will post if I find a solution.

I will update this first post with important info. from this thread to ensure that it is easy to find.

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 569 Old 11-25-2006, 09:36 AM

I am using HDMI input for my comcast HD all of the HD channels are perfect but when I try to watch say TBS the screen will not stretch to full screen view. You are suppose to have 4 options for viewing but my tv is not giving me the option for panoramic view I can zoom but the picture is too blown up. . Does anybody know what to do?
post #3 of 569 Old 11-26-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't run into the is problem as I'm still waiting for my HD set top box to arrive.

I'll check it when I get it.

I got my laptop to work with the Vizio. And I have to say that the results are pretty spectacular. Looks fantastic. There is a special resolution that you have to set in (I'll post the specs. when I get back home). But once you set it it works great.

As I had originally posted, I have the PowerBook hooked up through DVI>HDMI. Later I will test the RGB hookup as it says that it gives the same resolution.
post #4 of 569 Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM

It was within the comcast box, got that fixed. Any recommendations on best settings to use? I 'm too lazy to play around so I am using the default standard mode and it looks sweet for picture preference.
post #5 of 569 Old 11-27-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Should get the Avia disk tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll run the set through it's paces and post the results.

How does the HD through the box look?
post #6 of 569 Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Better late then never.

Here are the settings you need to set on your computer to make it work great with this set:

VESA 1366x768 at 60Hz.
post #7 of 569 Old 11-28-2006, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devax View Post

I jumped on the Costco Black Friday special and got a couple of these (master b.r. & kid's loft).

I am awaiting to get the Avia disk, but for now I'll post what looks good at this stage. Once I get Avia and run the tests I'll share the data.

Brightness 55
Contrast 50
Color 46
Tint 54
Sharpness 0

For the price, this set is an excellent second or third home set. Bright screen with nice detail. SD leaves something to be desired but is definitely viewable. Two HDMI ports makes it very flexible.

I am by no means an expert, so take these comments for what they are worth. But you just can't beat the price/picture ratio. For the price of one "good" set I was able to buy these two!

Some relevant specs. from the manual:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Dot Pitch: 0.9mm (H) x 0676mm (V)
Signal Compatibility: 480i (SDTV), 480p (EDTV), 720p (HDTV), 1080i (HDTV)
Colors: 231 Billion
Brightness: 480 cd/m2
Contrast: 10,000:1
Viewing angle: 170 degrees
Inputs: 1x Co-axial RF (ATSC/QAM/NTSC), 2x HDMI with HDCP, 2x Component YPbPr plus Stereo audio, 1x RGB PC plus Stereo Audio, 1x S-Video plus Stereo Audio, 2x composite video plus stereo audio
Features: Single scan technology for higher contrast, reduced solarisation and reduced false contouring, PIP, POP, noise reduction, CC, V-chip, 3D comb filter, zoom, freeze, motion adaptive de-interlace, picture enhancement, MPEG-2 decoding via DTV input, NTSC video decoding via Video, progressive scan video via HDMI, component or RBG, HDTV via HDMI, component or RGB, sound enhancement.
Panel life: 60,000 hours to half the original brightness.

So far, I've noticed that the speakers are a little on the high pitch. I've also turned surround sound "off".

I hooked up my PowerBook G4 through an DVI > HDMI cable. Mac had no problem setting it up. Looks fantastic. I need to study this more as the image appears stretched hor. and the movies from the Mac look a bit unnatural. Might be a 1:1 issue, but will post if I find a solution.

I will update this first post with important info. from this thread to ensure that it is easy to find.

Enjoy!

We too, purchased this plasma on Black Friday, sight unseen (purchased the unplugged demo unit)....I only wished we had bought two. This is the second consecutive Black Friday (Viore @ Walmart) in which we purchased a plasma that retailed for less the a grand....very happy with both sets. Our settings are similar except we lowered the contrast to 40 and raised the sharpness to 50.

Hey, next year maybe we can get a 50" Plasma for less than a grand

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Student
post #8 of 569 Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Is anyone having problems with a squel/whine sound from their tv when using DVI>HDMI for a cable box?

Does HDMI work just fine for most of you? I want to know if I should exchange this for a new one or just take it back and look at panasonics or a different brand.

Also recommended picture settings would be very much appreciated!!
post #9 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpibri View Post

Is anyone having problems with a squel/whine sound from their tv when using DVI>HDMI for a cable box?

Does HDMI work just fine for most of you? I want to know if I should exchange this for a new one or just take it back and look at panasonics or a different brand.

Also recommended picture settings would be very much appreciated!!

I'm getting the same high pitched squel/whine with component or HDMI connection to the cable box. I have tried muting the vp42, and even turning off the speakers, but the squel continues. You get used to it if you turn the tv up loud enough, but now that I've heard it, I always hear it, unless I turn the tv off. It seems to be coming from the right rear-side of the plasma. I don't recall having this issue with the P42. Anyone else have this problem?
post #10 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 03:23 PM

I have never had the whine sound on component...only HDMI. It gives me a headache so I called Vizio and they are going to replace my vp42. Hopefully the next one doesnt whine :|

Can anyone confirm that their tv works fine using hdmi? Does anyone else have this squel/whine/buzz?
post #11 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 04:20 PM

Did you guys "condition" our 42" Vizio with the DVD/VCD? Just wondering if it's still necessary to do the color shifting thing for hours for a new plasma.

Thanks.
post #12 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

As I've posted above I've been using the HDMI port for my HTMac setup. I haven't noticed any whine.

I'll try it again tonight and see if I hear anything.

I wonder if it has to do with any HD content? Although my Mac upconverts everything to the monitor's resolution, maybe if it is feeding a 1080i signal?

I'll post what my results are when I get back home.

Still haven't got Avia to run the monitor through it's pace. Anyone else run Avia yet and can share the numbers?
post #13 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Quote:

I have never had the whine sound on component...only HDMI. It gives me a headache so I called Vizio and they are going to replace my vp42. Hopefully the next one doesnt whine :|

Can anyone confirm that their tv works fine using hdmi? Does anyone else have this squel/whine/buzz?

They are going to replace your VP42? Did they mention anything else? I get the whine with component or HDMI, and it is very annoying. If you replace it through Vizio, then you probably can't return it to Costco later if the whine is happening on all units. Just somehting to consider....
post #14 of 569 Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea~condos View Post

They are going to replace your VP42? Did they mention anything else? I get the whine with component or HDMI, and it is very annoying. If you replace it through Vizio, then you probably can't return it to Costco later if the whine is happening on all units. Just somehting to consider....

They didn't mention anything else. They didnt even seem like they had heard of the problem. Component works fine for me...I just had it on for an hour muted with no sounds.

Also, for your whine...can you hear it from another room if you have the tv's sound muted? For me it is loud enough to hear from like 20-30 feet away if everything is quiet. I think there is a low buzz sound that i can hear while muted...but thats just the normal sound of the tv i think.

Why would having Vizio replace my unit void my warranty from Costco...that doesn't really make sense. I would think Costco would rather have me try to solve the problem with the manufacturer before returning the unit.
post #15 of 569 Old 11-30-2006, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

OK...I tested it and I can't hear a thing. I have a mac hooked up through DVI > HDMI and I hear nothing. I have to get my ear right next to the set to hear anything.

So I would say that an exchange with Costco's might be your quickest bet. Hope this helps.
post #16 of 569 Old 11-30-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Why would having Vizio replace my unit void my warranty from Costco...that doesn't really make sense. I would think Costco would rather have me try to solve the problem with the manufacturer before returning the unit.

I'm not sure but I would think that if you returned your unit to Vizio, and later decided to return the exchanged set to costco, you may have a problem. If they match serial numbers on the tv to their computers (not sure if they get this specific), they would not match. But then again, Costco is pretty lenient, and would probably still let you return it. I think the quickest bet would be to return it to costco, but then I wonder if you would have to buy it back at the full price of $1199...since costco doesn't do "exchanges."

I do hear my buzz from across the room. I hear it over the sound of the tv at 25-30 volume.
post #17 of 569 Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 PM

I picked the VP42 up at my local costco on Black Friday as well and so I eagerly await the settings results you come up with... both for the HDMI/Component inputs and the VGA settings.

I haven't noticed the whine, but I haven't used the built-in speakers much. The various devices are hooked up to a 1000watt 5.1 surround system so I've turned the Vizio speakers off.

One interesting thing that I find fun but ultimately not that useful is that the Vizio accepts a 1080p signal. It obviously scales the image down, but I dig the fact that it doesn't freak out when a 1080p signal is sent to it.

I am curious as to why the native 1024x768 display suggests (in the manual) that best VGA results can be viewed at 1366x768... is that pretty standard?
post #18 of 569 Old 12-01-2006, 06:31 AM

Quote:

I have a whine as well. I will test more with different cables when I have some free time. It can be rather annoying.
post #19 of 569 Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm2501 View Post

I picked the VP42 up at my local costco on Black Friday as well and so I eagerly await the settings results you come up with... both for the HDMI/Component inputs and the VGA settings.

I haven't noticed the whine, but I haven't used the built-in speakers much. The various devices are hooked up to a 1000watt 5.1 surround system so I've turned the Vizio speakers off.

One interesting thing that I find fun but ultimately not that useful is that the Vizio accepts a 1080p signal. It obviously scales the image down, but I dig the fact that it doesn't freak out when a 1080p signal is sent to it.

I am curious as to why the native 1024x768 display suggests (in the manual) that best VGA results can be viewed at 1366x768... is that pretty standard?

I hear the whine/buzz even when the speakers are turned off in the settings. I'm not sure if its an issue or something I will just need to get used to.
post #20 of 569 Old 12-01-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

I would trade it in. As I said, I don't hear anything at all.

Have you tried disconnecting all the cables and seeing if the buzzing sound is still there? I just wonder if it has to do with the speakers, or with the connectors.

I only have two connections right now, the standard cable and the HDMI that I have my Mac hooked up to. I muted the volume and stepped right up to the TV and didn't hear anything until I put my head right next to the set.

Sounds like there is something wrong with your set. Anyone else not have the whine sound issue?
post #21 of 569 Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Devax,

Have you ran your Avia disc yet?
post #22 of 569 Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devax View Post

Sounds like there is something wrong with your set. Anyone else not have the whine sound issue?

My Vizio P42 is fine, no buzz or any mechanical issues whatsoever. I would reconnect the cables or even try a new set just to make sure no interference goes on with the plasma and the cables. SOme cheap cables have shielding issues and could cause some buzzing with the speakers, esp if you have them running close to it.

Goodluck, and keep us posted.
post #23 of 569 Old 12-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Its not a speaker issue. The sound is coming from the back of the TV. It's really weird, I am going to get a new set and Ill post my results.
post #24 of 569 Old 12-02-2006, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't received the Avia disk yet. I decided to go cheap on the shipping and just checked the status and it says that I can expect the shipment on Dec. 7!!! WTF!

I ordered a few things so I didn't feel like paying $150 in shipping. That'll teach me.

Bah! Anybody else have a calibration DVD that can help out before then?
post #25 of 569 Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 PM

Devax or anyone else with a calibration DVD (I'm going to try and get one as well)... If you happen to have a DVD source that can hook up to the VGA port, please post your results for that as well.

I'm going to see if I can get a calibration DVD and post results off the VGA connection from my Xbox 360.
post #26 of 569 Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

I got one of these on BF from Costco as well, but havent opened it yet, trying to decide if it is really worth the $1k... What are all you guys thoughts? This is going in the 2ndary viewing room
post #27 of 569 Old 12-04-2006, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Rel,

As I said above, it's a real good 2nd. or 3rd. set. After a couple of weeks I'm still happy with the price/performance. SD is solid (not the best, but eminently viewable).

The downside is that the blacks aren't as rich and tends to loose definition in shadows. But like I said, as a second set it's excellent.

In my opinion it's a keeper!
post #28 of 569 Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 AM

i love my vp42 pdp. its working great. i am using it the bedroom. i have my laptop hooked up to the hdmi port. hdmi for sat; and antenna for dtv; component for dvd. all is well. anyone calibrate their set yet?
post #29 of 569 Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM

As someone who's never owned an HDTV before and mostly seen DLP and LCD rear-projection sets in the homes of friends and family (with the exception of my brother who owns a 42" Phillips ambilight plasma and was offering to sell it to me for $1700 to recoup some of the $3100 he spent on it) I love it.

I've toned down the settings a bit to allow for a break-in period, but I'm thoroughly enjoying using this thing to play games on my 360. It's a rather resilient plasma.
post #30 of 569 Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm2501 View Post

As someone who's never owned an HDTV before and mostly seen DLP and LCD rear-projection sets in the homes of friends and family (with the exception of my brother who owns a 42" Phillips ambilight plasma and was offering to sell it to me for $1700 to recoup some of the $3100 he spent on it) I love it.

I've toned down the settings a bit to allow for a break-in period, but I'm thoroughly enjoying using this thing to play games on my 360. It's a rather resilient plasma.

So gaming is good on it? I am mostly getting this for the Wii and xbox. I have a 60" LCD Wega that I have my 360 connected it in my main area, this is going in a diff area that is mostly used for gaming. I am kinda worried about its native Res and how the Wii's 480p will effect it... Any thoughts?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page