Give me your best shot - 42" Panasonic or Hitachi? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like a lot of other people, I've spent a lot of time narrowing down the choices in my search for a new flat screen. I started out looking at lcd's, but I've settled on a 42" plasma as the one that will fit my needs.

I've spent some time researching and browsing the stores and I've narrowed it down to two contenders, the Panasonic TH42PX60U and the Hitachi 42HDT79. They are both priced about the same where I live (the Panny is a couple of hundred cheaper I think) and they both look very good to me.

What I would like is for people to post their preference for one or the other and give me some good reasons for their choices. This will help me decide. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

If you search this forum, you will find that the Hitachi models have some issues - but for all I know about them these may have been resolved with the newer sets. The Pannys have been pretty well accepted here as good, solid plasmas, year in, year out.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #3 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I read the Hitachi thread - flicker problems. It sounded like with this model most of the problems were taken care of and that a permanent fix was on the way. Anyone else care to compare and analyze this choice?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malooga
I read the Hitachi thread - flicker problems. It sounded like with this model most of the problems were taken care of and that a permanent fix was on the way. Anyone else care to compare and analyze this choice?
I was faced with the same decision a week ago when comparing the 55" Hitachi to the 58" Panny. Based on what I read in the flicker thread, I would disagree on both counts- I don't think the flicker problem has been completely taken care of, and I think a permanent fix is FAR from being on the way. I chose the Panny and I'm very happy with my choice.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Guess I didn't read enough of the thread. I got the impression that most of the people that have this model were able to apply a temporary fix that worked. I'll have to go back and reread it more closely. I haven't ruled out the Hitachi yet as I had a look at it in the store and really liked it. It seems to have a lot going for it. If they solve this flicker problem, I would probably buy it. But I started this thread to get all points of view, so thanks for yours :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkatsoudas
I was faced with the same decision a week ago when comparing the 55" Hitachi to the 58" Panny. Based on what I read in the flicker thread, I would disagree on both counts- I don't think the flicker problem has been completely taken care of, and I think a permanent fix is FAR from being on the way. I chose the Panny and I'm very happy with my choice.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

post #7 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 01:09 PM

I agree with Josh. Dealing with Hitachi was a nightmare (that's my blog he's linking to)
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankypants
I agree with Josh. Dealing with Hitachi was a nightmare (that's my blog he's linking to)
Ouch! Man, you've been through the mill! I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience with Hitachi plasmas?
post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Hey, Craig! I had no idea you visited these forums. :P

I left some comments in those posts I linked to when they were newer, but it's still cool to see you here. ^^
post #10 of 11 Old 11-26-2006, 11:00 PM

I too came down to this decision. I chose the Hitachi. When looking at them side by side, I really preferred the picture quality of the Hitachi. Now, the Panny in the store had "clayface" going on, and after reading more, it was probably the picture settings.

I was lured in by the 1080 vertical resolution lines. I also liked the overall picture sharpness and color better on the Hitachi. Again, could be the settings, but from some reviews I have read, the Hitachi excels in certain areas. It probably didn't help that the salesmen said the Hitachi was really the better picture despite the Panny being better rated overall by Consumer Reports

I am having second thoughts, but for no particular reason. Just too much reading on this forum after the fact I guess. I love the TV and its picture. Sure there are some little things you can see when you get up close, but you just gotta tweak the settings. Same as on any of the TV's I looked at.

I think, from what I have seen in the two TV's, at the store, and the Hitachi and my home, they both have their +'s and -'s. I so far haven't had a problem with the flicker, but then again I bought it Tuesday, and so far, I am happy with it.

The one question I did have was, was I duped by the 1024x1080 res? It seemed to me, that with the naked eye in the store, I could tell there was a decernable difference, at least up close (even 5-6 ft away) between the Panny and the Hitachi. I attributed this to the higher vertical resolution. Was I right? I saw the CNET review and they said that they didn't think it made that much of a obvious difference. I tend to disagree with that, but I am new to the HDTV scene as this is my first HDTV.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

As sometimes happens, I took a fork in the road and decided to buy a Samsung. I was all set to buy the Hitachi, in spite of the flickering problems, but I was downtown a couple of days ago and saw the Samsung 4233 in a dept. store on sale $500 cheaper than the others. The picture looked great and I really like the look of the set. Apparently there are buzzing problems with some Samsungs, but after reading about Panasonic clay face, Hitachi flicker, Samsung buzzing, and Pioneer overpricing, I finally came to the conclusion that there really isn't any perfect decision to be made. They all suck :p. I'll report back when I get the tv.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page