Plasma Native Resolutions...720p vs 1080p upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A few months back I was 5 minutes away from getting the Pioneer pdp-5070hd plasma. But....realized I couldn't afford it. Now I'm thinking about getting it again and found a nice price. .....but since then, I have been reading all about 1080p. HD and Blu Ray are already 1080P. Half of the launch titles for the PS3 are already in 1080p.
How much do you think a similiar plasma will be come around march or april that is 1080p? I'm already set on plasma. Its' just a matter of weiging the pros and cons to 720p and 1080p.
If I was watching 720p material...would it look better on a 720p native screen like the 5070hd or would it look the same, worse, or better on a 1080p native resolution tv...that is upscaling the image?

I'm really confused ....should I wait, is it worth it? I've waited this long with an analog sony wega.

Any advice and info is appreciated. The only thing I am certain of is I want to go Plasma. I love the way movies look on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 AM

If you keep waiting, there will always be something better/newer right around the corner.

-David
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 197
1080p plasma will cost 10 trillion dollars. If that's no problem then go for it!
post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

If I keep waiting? well, I guess that's right but my point is 1080p has always been the standard that wev'e been striving for. I think this is a little different than waiting for ....the next PC.
If a 50 inch 1080p plasma monitor costs 10 trillion dollars...or even 10 thousand dollars, I would be suffice with my beautiful 720p at 2800 bucks. Right now Pioneer's 50 inch 1080p is going for $6000. (which is also way too much for me to spend...ever on any television)
Still...I appreciate the thoughts. What kind of monitors do you guys have?
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 02:21 AM

Liked: 11
i love my Panasonic TH-50PX60U 720P

English Is Not My First Language
My HD-DVD/BD Collection

post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 09:49 AM
BRV

Unless you will sit within say 5 feet of the 1080p set it is not worth the money. I have the panny 50" 8UK (768p), sit 11 feet away and it rocks. The human eye can't tell the difference between 768p, 1080i and 1080p unless you sit REAL close.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickaelmc
If I keep waiting? well, I guess that's right but my point is 1080p has always been the standard that wev'e been striving for. I think this is a little different than waiting for ....the next PC.
It's a tradeoff. Buy what you want now, or wait until an affordable higher-rez plasma display is available that does 1920x1080 native. (if something like that ever shows up.)

Are you striving for 1:1 pixel mapping or affordable plasma 1920x1080?

If it were me, and I found what I liked and needed, I'd buy it now if the price is right.

-David
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickaelmc
A few months back I was 5 minutes away from getting the Pioneer pdp-5070hd plasma. But....realized I couldn't afford it. Now I'm thinking about getting it again and found a nice price. .....but since then, I have been reading all about 1080p. HD and Blu Ray are already 1080P. Half of the launch titles for the PS3 are already in 1080p.
How much do you think a similiar plasma will be come around march or april that is 1080p? I'm already set on plasma. Its' just a matter of weiging the pros and cons to 720p and 1080p.
If I was watching 720p material...would it look better on a 720p native screen like the 5070hd or would it look the same, worse, or better on a 1080p native resolution tv...that is upscaling the image?

I'm really confused ....should I wait, is it worth it? I've waited this long with an analog sony wega.

Any advice and info is appreciated. The only thing I am certain of is I want to go Plasma. I love the way movies look on them.
If there is a reason to wait, it isn't because of resolution. Pricing is the only reason because at 50 inches, 1080p is still more of a luxary rather than a true benefit.

Trust me, unless you can notice any Screen Door Effect, the chances of you seeing any "little" difference (let alone HUGE differences) between 1080p unscaled vs. 1080p downscaled into 768 pixels is very little.

Just compare two equally calibrated Pioneer sets, 1080p vs. 768p and you will usually come away with the same results. 1080p is cool to stare at VERY close, but in most practical cases you will find that the picture is essentially the same.

I was in the same boat you were, and after going through 1080p sets, I grabbed the best looking TV of the bunch now a days the 5070 pdp. The colors are best in class, black levels have caught up to the much cheered Panasonic Plasmas, and you get the best scaling, video processing, and deinterlacing in the business.

The fact that the thing is drop dead gorgeous is a benefit. Don't worry so much about resolution once you pass 720p. This is what you worry about.

1) Contrast.

2) Black Level.

3) Color Saturation/Accuracy

4) Video processing

Either of these are way more important than how many pixels you have on screen once you sit in a normal viewing distance. Do take into account that the PS3s 1080p games in majority have been struggling to keep a steady framerate, and even at that resolution do not even look that spectacular.

It isn't ironic to me that the best looking game on the PS3 so far is a 720p game. (Resistance: Fall of Man.) Making a game run at a consistent frame rate at 720p is a challenge.

I'd imagine 1080p is much more difficult.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

If I come up with the money responsibily...and can still pay taxes....I'm going for it. cause I really love the picture on that set. Thanks for all your input.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2006, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez
If there is a reason to wait, it isn't because of resolution. Pricing is the only reason because at 50 inches, 1080p is still more of a luxary rather than a true benefit.

Trust me, unless you can notice any Screen Door Effect, the chances of you seeing any "little" difference (let alone HUGE differences) between 1080p unscaled vs. 1080p downscaled into 768 pixels is very little.

Just compare two equally calibrated Pioneer sets, 1080p vs. 768p and you will usually come away with the same results. 1080p is cool to stare at VERY close, but in most practical cases you will find that the picture is essentially the same.

I was in the same boat you were, and after going through 1080p sets, I grabbed the best looking TV of the bunch now a days the 5070 pdp. The colors are best in class, black levels have caught up to the much cheered Panasonic Plasmas, and you get the best scaling, video processing, and deinterlacing in the business.

The fact that the thing is drop dead gorgeous is a benefit. Don't worry so much about resolution once you pass 720p. This is what you worry about.

1) Contrast.

2) Black Level.

3) Color Saturation/Accuracy

4) Video processing

Either of these are way more important than how many pixels you have on screen once you sit in a normal viewing distance. Do take into account that the PS3s 1080p games in majority have been struggling to keep a steady framerate, and even at that resolution do not even look that spectacular.

It isn't ironic to me that the best looking game on the PS3 so far is a 720p game. (Resistance: Fall of Man.) Making a game run at a consistent frame rate at 720p is a challenge.

I'd imagine 1080p is much more difficult.

Great Post Johnny, that is exactly the reason I chose my 50" PX60U Panny on Black Friday. I felt that at 50" I didn't need to spend the extra money on a 46" LCD 1080p or Rear-Projection. There is more to a picture than pixels
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page