Panny TH-42PX60U - Gaming and Side Motion Blur - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the above specified model on Black Friday primarily for watching sports and gaming. I hooked my Xbox 360 up to it to play Gears of War and noticed when I look from side-to-side, I noticed a motion blur. I noticed the side motion blur on other games that are First Person Shooters as well. This is my first HDTV so I am inexperienced when it comes to technical issues with regards to HDTVs. I have my 360 set on 720p which is supposed to alleviate any motion artifacts. Can anyone provide me any insight of why this is happening? I love the TV for watching HDTV content but am discouraged in using this TV for gaming due to the blurring caused by the side motion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 07:19 AM

I am not sure why you would notice blurring, but I can tell you that noone here reccomends playing video games on a plasma TV with less than 100 hours of use on it. (to protect it from burn-in issues)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejh74
I recently purchased the above specified model on Black Friday primarily for watching sports and gaming. I hooked my Xbox 360 up to it to play Gears of War and noticed when I look from side-to-side, I noticed a motion blur. I noticed the side motion blur on other games that are First Person Shooters as well. This is my first HDTV so I am inexperienced when it comes to technical issues with regards to HDTVs. I have my 360 set on 720p which is supposed to alleviate any motion artifacts. Can anyone provide me any insight of why this is happening? I love the TV for watching HDTV content but am discouraged in using this TV for gaming due to the blurring caused by the side motion.
Are you sure this blurring isnt an addition effect that the developers placed into the game?

Panny TH-50PE700U
post #4 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasichko
Are you sure this blurring isnt an addition effect that the developers placed into the game?
I tried other games like F.E.A.R, Oblivion, and Rainbow Six Vegas on it too and it had that motion blur effect. I don't know if it is because of the clarity vs. my CRT or what? I have searched other portions of the avs forum and found some threads that have eluded to the "motion blur" effect but did not mention if they had overcome it.

Also, as far as not gaming for the 1st 100 hours, I have watched much more TV during the "break in" period versus gaming. I don't have any burn in so far and I am careful not to play games for an extensive period of time as well as watch shows with a fixed display on them. I have also decreased the settings down to 50% as suggested. I just want to find out if this is a problem that cannot be corrected.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have the same problem as you on my 50" panny. It's not motion blur. It's judder. Do you notice the background moves in little jumps and is not smooth? It's not fixable and my Sony 34" HD crt also has this problem but its not as noticable. I think that when the new 120hz Tvs come out they may eliminate motion judder. Motion blur looks completely different. Buy an LCD and you will see motion blur.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Try eliminating any video processing. That should help the blur.

And yes, CRT hides alot of the good stuff and the bad stuff.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez
Try eliminating any video processing. That should help the blur.

And yes, CRT hides alot of the good stuff and the bad stuff.
How would I eliminate any video processing?
post #8 of 8 Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48
I have the same problem as you on my 50" panny. It's not motion blur. It's judder. Do you notice the background moves in little jumps and is not smooth? It's not fixable and my Sony 34" HD crt also has this problem but its not as noticable. I think that when the new 120hz Tvs come out they may eliminate motion judder. Motion blur looks completely different. Buy an LCD and you will see motion blur.
I call it a "blur" because it is almost like your eyes aren't focused as you move from side to side. It does not happen when you move forward. Is it the way that the 360 is processing the signal? I have comcast cable and I have been watching a lot of sports with some significant motion and did not pick up on the "blur".

Interestingly enough, I contacted Panasonic and told them about the problem I have been seeing. They said that the problem should not be occuring and that have an update to the firmware to correct the problem. I have read about other people getting this firmware update but I don't remember any feedback on it. It will be interesting to see what, if any, it corrects.
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page