Plasmas and gaming - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a ton of threads on plasma burn in etc... I have yet to get a clear answer from people that actually own plasmas and game on them. If you play any type of game on a plasma lets say for about an hour, is there a chance or burn in? Even with models like the 4253 from samsung that has the pixel shift and white wash options? I'm only asking bc that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the plug on an plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo22
I've read a ton of threads on plasma burn in etc... I have yet to get a clear answer from people that actually own plasmas and game on them. If you play any type of game on a plasma lets say for about an hour, is there a chance or burn in? Even with models like the 4253 from samsung that has the pixel shift and white wash options? I'm only asking bc that is the only thing keeping me from pulling the plug on an plasma.
The burn in issues on plasmas has dropped significantly, due to said reasons in your post. I've gamed on them, and though some burn in quicker than others, it has to be on a static image for a long time. Longer than 6-8 hours in most cases I've seen, to notice anyway. And it's not a permanent thing, the whitewash will remove the burn pretty quickly, and even if you just watch something that doesn't have that static image on the screen it will disappear on its own fairly quickly (usually an hour from my experience at the most).
post #3 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Check out this thread, particularly posts #2264 and #2267.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=608677

It's clearly still a possibility, regardless of how small. Some may get it some won't. It's whether or not you want to take the risk. I'm in the same boat as you, and I've decided to get one after many hours of research. Good luck. :)
post #4 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not an issue for me I got a new Panny this summer and a PS3 just a few weeks ago. I game my face off and even leave it paused for up to 30 min at a time.

ONly thing I did was wait 100hrs before gaming. I have 0 issues. Plasmas have come quite a long way in the last 10 years I think the fear of burn in just doesnt apply anymore
post #5 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

so it seems almost that there is not a whole lot too worry about
post #6 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 AM

I get some IR on my Pio 4350 sometimes while using the XBox....it goes away in a few minutes after switching sources.....never had burn in :) ...as others state - break-in is crucial to avoid long term IR and burn in....

Rick -
On the Beach
post #7 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 09:12 AM

I just got a Panny 429uk model. I've been gaming on it for up to 3+ hours at a time. Pixel shaft enabled, normal brightness and contrast, not a sign of burn-in so far even for the worst offenders.

It's a new one, and panny says the new materials and technologies make the potential for burn-in about the same as a CRT tv. So far I'd agree.

And it trounces my roommates 42" LCD in picture quality despite being $900 cheaper.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac
I just got a Panny 429uk model. I've been gaming on it for up to 3+ hours at a time. Pixel shaft enabled, normal brightness and contrast, not a sign of burn-in so far even for the worst offenders.

It's a new one, and panny says the new materials and technologies make the potential for burn-in about the same as a CRT tv. So far I'd agree.

And it trounces my roommates 42" LCD in picture quality despite being $900 cheaper.
whats the model number?
post #9 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I broke my Pio 5070 in for 200 hours (D-nice's settings)
over a 2 month period before I got my XBOX 360 and HD-DVD add-on.

Almost 2 weeks now playing GRAW,GOW, COD3 and Tomb Raider
(up to 3 hours at a time in "Game" mode) and the Pio still looks flawless.

I put in Ice Age II imediately after playing (mostly white screen)
to check for signs of IR, nothin' nada. ;)

http://members.shaw.ca/ecojeeper/x13.jpg

more game screen shots here:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...&page=48&pp=30

I never intended to do any gaming on my Plasma when I frst bought it in early September,
but when I saw some gaming screen shots here, and heard very few IR issues I thought
it was worth trying....I also wanted the XBOX for the VERY affordable add-on HD-DVD player :D

Don't think I'll be buying standard 480 DVD's anymore :eek: HD-DVD @ 1080i is killer on this TV. (and so are the HD Games)

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #10 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac
I broke my Pio 5070 in for 200 hours (D-nice's settings)
over a 2 month period before I got my XBOX 360 and HD-DVD add-on.

Almost 2 weeks now playing GRAW,GOW, COD3 and Tomb Raider
(up to 3 hours at a time in "Game" mode) and the Pio still looks flawless.

I put in Ice Age II imediately after playing (mostly white screen)
to check for signs of IR, nothin' nada. ;)

http://members.shaw.ca/ecojeeper/x13.jpg

more game screen shots here:
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...&page=48&pp=30

I never intended to do any gaming on my Plasma when I frst bought it in early September,
but when I saw some gaming screen shots here, and heard very few IR issues I thought
it was worth trying....I also wanted the XBOX for the VERY affordable add-on HD-DVD player :D

Don't think I'll be buying standard 480 DVD's anymore :eek: HD-DVD @ 1080i is killer on this TV. (and so are the HD Games)
Agreed.. :)

Burn-in on a Plasma is overatted if you are not... excuse me for putting this... DUMB.

Be sensible and you'll be fine.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I wouldn't use a PC on a plasma. At least for anything but gaming and movies. I'd be worried about the task bar down at the bottom.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac
I am contemplating a XBOX360 when they integrate the HDDVD drive and maybe add HDMI. :)
I bet those HDDVD's look awesome on that 5070. :cool:

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #13 of 14 Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDeac

Does anyone know if the consumer line TH-42PX60U/600U has the pixel shift feature?
post #14 of 14 Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte
I wouldn't use a PC on a plasma. At least for anything but gaming and movies. I'd be worried about the task bar down at the bottom.
Used one for years on a Panasonic 37PW5 and now on a 42PHD8.
No problems with burn in from windows furniture : wouldn't say I use it to do PC type activities all that often ( couple of hours a day say) (screensaver kicks in if I leave it idle for 15 mins).

Sometimes get iamge retention ( black text on a light coloured background) but thats gone in 5 mins of displaying changing imagery.

digital film janitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page