58" Panny or Pio 50" 5071? Close enough to get bigger size? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have done a ton of reserach on both the Panny's and Pioneers, and most are happy with either choice.

Price wise these can each be had for about the same money.

My viewing area, in kind if a "L" Shape varies from about 9 feet to about 14 feet.

I know from distance calculators, the 58" Panny would probably be better for the "Home theater experience". However, if the internal processor is much better, and the Pioneer glass is less reflective, maybe there is more value in that sense to justify getting the smaller set.

Also, are the Pioneers less suceptible to IR than the Panny, or is that about equal also?

Just seeing if in my case, I should go bigger, or perhaps smaller with better processing. Would be great is someone does/has had both at home.

I have viewed both in person, I would give the store environment PQ edge to the 5071, but I know the many variables going into that statement.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 186
You would do better getting a 5070 from a forum sponsor instead of BB. Forum sponsors carry it for a mid 2K figure.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
You would do better getting a 5070 from a forum sponsor instead of BB. Forum sponsors carry it for a mid 2K figure.
Will check that out, thanks! I assume NOT TV authority, as I have read a number of Negative experiences in the past month or so.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 569
I just saw the 58" Panny a few days ago with a BR player hooked up. It was absolutely awesome. I personally would go with the 58" Panny. I can't recall anybody ever saying "gee, I wish I had gone with a smaller screen".
post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I just saw the 58" Panny a few days ago with a BR player hooked up. It was absolutely awesome. I personally would go with the 58" Panny. I can't recall anybody ever saying "gee, I wish I had gone with a smaller screen".
Very very true. If the price was the same, the I would definately say get the 58" Panny. However, if price is a concern, then get the 5070 or 50PX600u.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Very very true. If the price was the same, the I would definately say get the 58" Panny. However, if price is a concern, then get the 5070 or 50PX600u.
So quality wise, the currently generation of either manufacturer seems to be the best value at this price point. I assume risk of IR, and internal processing are comparable.

Thanks again, and I will be using your suggested break in setting D-Nice, if I get the Pioneer.

Did you see my question about which ones to use for the Motorola 6412 III on the other thread>?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm speaking strictly on price here.

Yes I did see your question. Did not get a chance to post in that thread yet. Since we are here.....
The Motorola boxes are known to push green. My settings may or may not be appropriate for those boxes. However, you can always tweak them to get rid of the Moto's green cast.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm speaking strictly on price here.

Yes I did see your question. Did not get a chance to post in that thread yet. Since we are here.....
The Motorola boxes are known to push green. My settings may or may not be appropriate for those boxes. However, you can always tweak them to get rid of the Moto's green cast.
Perfect, thanks. I just wanted to make sure if I started with ones for a different cable box, they were still in the safe zone for break in.

Thank you, wasn't sure how much those break in settings could be tweaked, wouldn't want to adjust them and have them end up no longer safe.

Overly anal retentive, sorry. LOL
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page