Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 716 Old 02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyomingeye View Post

Just wanted to add a data point to this thread. Bought a 5080 last week. Woke up to the flashing blue lights on day three. I had set up the TV guide, but had never acquired any schedule. After learning of the TV guide incompatibility with ANTA, I went ahead with entering the 00000 zip code. I have not had the flashing lights return, but the set was unable to maintain the correct time and date despite manual input. After being off for a few hours, set would return to the wrong time/day/year/time zone/etc. I went ahead and reset to factory settings thanks to the outline in Post #124 and picked the "don't remind me" option for the TV guide. So far, so good--time has held steady for 24 hours and counting.

I am having a very similar problem.... Unit has shut down twice running the Break in DVD, seems odd it should only happen twice. What bums me out is that the store where I bought it at no longer has these in stock. I wish they would drop the price of the 5010, because I would exchange it then, they said they have another return they could exchange it will but I don't want to go through this BS again. Also What Post are you talking about? in what thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 716 Old 02-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

Also What Post are you talking about? in what thread?

It's post #124 within this ten page thread, back on page five. YGM.
post #273 of 716 Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM

My 5070 started with the occasional blue-light shut-down but would always go back to normal operation after turning the tv back on. But now that I'm 3 months OUT OF WARRANTY I've got another problem. Not sure if I'm alone with this and would appreciate any help.

Tonight when I went to turn the TV on the blue light was flashing. As I said, in the past, hitting the power button would usually turn the tv on normally. But tonight it sounded like it was turning on, but then clicked back off and the blue light started blinking again. Unplugging the unit from the wall for 5+ mins doesn't help. I've read of the "12 blinks" but this is blinking 8 times. I managed to find a 5070 repair manual online and see that 8 blinks means "Failure in IIC communication with the main microcomputer" but I have no idea what that means...

I really can't afford to spend the $600-?? I'm afraid it might cost to fix this $3500 plasma. Especially when, after reading all of the threads/posts here on the same issue, I'm really starting to think that this is a bigger issue - perhaps a flaw that Pioneer became aware of but avoided addressing in the hope that the units wouldn't completely die until they were out of warranty. Thoughts? Class-Action lawsuit, anyone?

My guess is that none of this has anything to do with the TV guide issue. I think that it's just such an intermittent problem that it "appears" that changing some settings fixes it. Be warned that it could just be a slow lead up to a complete failure.

Apologies for the long post. Just frustrated and need help! Thanks in advance.
post #274 of 716 Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Had the repair guy come back out. All he did was a master reset. So far no shut offs and the TV guide is now working OK, but 30 min. after I turn it off the blue light is flashing. I don't think that will ever go away now. As long as the TV operates like a damn TV I guess I will have to live with it.
It sure is funny that when I first got this tv everything was OK, then started flashing every once and a while and now all the time and started turning off by itself. Sure seems to me like the problems get worse as time goes on.
My repair man said the next step is to change the main computer board, which is what I think Pioneer is trying to avoid all together. That's why they never heard of this problem before. BS!!!! They know having to fix all the tv's out in use right now would hurt them in the pocket book, so they have to ignor the problem or blow us off until the warrantys are all up.
Hey DPR1111 your not alone it's happening to alot of us. We are getting the brush off from Pioneer at least for the first year.
RusterK, the name of the warranty center I used was "Midwest Audio Warranty Repair" goto midwestaudio.net
phone # is 847-640-1890

Oh and one more thing, don't let Pioneer tell you not to use the TVGOS. That was one of the reasons I picked this tv.
That is like a car salesman telling you that your new car has windshield wipers, but he does NOT recommend that you use them or the car may shut off. SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!!
Love the picture, but this will be the last Pioneer I will ever own. I will not stand for poor customer service.
Hey Pioneer don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining.
post #275 of 716 Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM

I purchased a 5080 last friday and have had it shut off on its own with the 12 lights numerous times. I currently only have an OTA antenna and a ps2 hooked up. My reception is 60% at best which would give credit to the poor signal theory. Anyway I phoned Pioneer support last night and told them of the problem and of all the things I have learned reading this forum. He said he has had numerous calls about the 12 flashing lights but not of it powering off on its own. Then the technician behind him said that he has had plenty of calls about it powering down and the flashing blue light. He said that there is a firmware update available and he told me that he just received the paperwork recently. I asked him about tvgos and poor signal strength and he said that is exactly the problem. He attributed the power off to bad communication between tvgos and the tv and that this should fix the problem. I asked if I should just return the tv for a new one and he said no because the new one will need the update as well..lol Only problem I see is when I called the local service company he recommended the lady was clueless as to what I was talking about (although i think she just answered phones so i didn't put much into that) so I asked to speak to a technician to which she said they do not talk on the phone. The pioneer rep said it could be a little while before all the local stations that are certified to work on these sets get the firmware update. I infomed the recetionist at the local company of update and what the pioneer rep said and asked if she could look into and get back to me. I will let all know what the result is and if I decide to have them come out. I'm hoping they have it and can come out quick that way I can use the remainder of my 30 days from best buy and see if the problem gets fixed. I'm still on the fence about returning it because it is such a pain when it keeps shutting off like that. Love I mean love the picture but dam what a headache. Apologize for the long post I just hope this puts some minds at ease. Even more so if it actually fixes the problem. Will keep you posted.
post #276 of 716 Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummby View Post

Oh and one more thing, don't let Pioneer tell you not to use the TVGOS.

Uh, yeah. That's what the local Pioneer service people tried to tell me when my 30 day old 5080HD started shutting off several times a day. They claimed the local PBS affiliate was sending corrupt data, causing the shutdowns and the flashing. That may very well be the problem, but I specifically asked them about the firmware update, and they claimed there was no such thing. Maybe if they had asked what version I had, I might have let it go. They wanted me to abandon the TVGOS, and do the 00000 zip code thing. (Which, incidentally, did not work, even after having done a master reset) I then called Pioneer direct, and one of their engineers (Bernard, nice guy) later called back. Seems my 5080 DOES have a firmware update available, and they overnighted it to the local service people. They are coming out Tue. to install it. I'll post the results after I live with it for a few days. BTW, I am in a fringe area with sometimes marginal OTA reception.

Edit: Due to ice storms in my area, the service call has been rescheduled for tomorrow (Friday)
post #277 of 716 Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 PM

TV shut off by itself again. Service tech told me I had all the latest filmware and he now had to call Pioneer and to see what they wanted him to do. That does not sound good!!!!!!!!
post #278 of 716 Old 02-14-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:

TV shut off by itself again. Service tech told me I had all the latest filmware and he now had to call Pioneer and to see what they wanted him to do. That does not sound good!!!!!!!!

When I called my service center I told the receptionist about my problem with the 12 lights and the power off and the talk I had with pioneer about it she said they would get back to me. Of course they didn't. So I called them and she told me that the lead technician said I needed a new main board which they already ordered. I proceeded to tell her all about the chat I had with the pioneer rep on the phone and how he said all it needs is a firmware update that according to him they can download off a central server. I called late in the day and of course all the techs had gone home so she said to call tomorrow and she will look more into it. Just wondering if maybe this tech is just jumping to the finish line in fixing this problem instead of trying firmware updates. Anyone else had any mention of a main board replacement to fix this problem? Any thoughts from anyone about whether a new main board might cause new problems?
post #279 of 716 Old 02-15-2008, 09:37 AM

If you read my posts, you will see I experienced the same problem. The main board was replaced and fixed it.
post #280 of 716 Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbrowN View Post

If you read my posts, you will see I experienced the same problem. The main board was replaced and fixed it.

wtbrowN, Please tell me more.
NO more flashing blue lights after they replaced your main board?
No more turn offs? And TVGOS works OK?
Did the service tech tell you anything about Pioneers problem?
Right now I am dealing with a Pioneer service warranty repair center, but I also have the 4 year Best buy (AGI) warranty. Did you find them to be more helpful than Pioneers service?
post #281 of 716 Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Go back to post 264 of mine and it answers all of your questions. I used Best Buy AGi for service. The TVGOS works. No more turnoffs.
post #282 of 716 Old 02-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Go back to post 264 of mine and it answers all of your questions. I used Best Buy AGi for service. The TVGOS works. No more turnoffs.

And the flashing blue light, is it gone???
Not that this is a big problem, It's just not knowing what it means that bugs me(it's got to be some sort of code )
Thank you for your help wtbrowN.
post #283 of 716 Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Liked: 11
The local Pioneer service guy came out on Friday, and managed to get the digital firmware update done via the CableCard slot, but was stopped by the lack of a proper 9 pin cable to do the analog firmware update via the 9 pin service port. (The service port on the TV is a male 9 pin, his cable was a standard male end. I bought a 9 pin F-to-F turnaround yesterday) I told him of the board replacement discussion, he was unaware of it, but was going to check into it with Pioneer. Hopefully he'll be back Monday to finish the firmware update, and I'll post the results. I haven't had a shutdown since he was here, so I remain hopeful, but my clock still will not hold time whether set manually or automatically.

PS: I didn't get a chance to ask, but I'm assuming these firmware updates address both the analog NTSC and digital ATSC tuners, hence the analog and digital firmware.

PSS: Well, almost 3 hours since I posted the above, and in the middle of watching the Daytona 500, the Pioneer got narcolepsy and shut down, with the 12 flashes again. One thing I failed to mention earlier, is Pioneer recommended that I install a 2-way splitter from my OTA to both the A and B antenna inputs. The reasoning being that you could watch TV with the digital tuner, and the analog tuner would do all the TVGOS stuff in the background. Since the analog tuner is the one that has yet to receive the new firmware, the splitter obviously is not a solution with old firmware. I'll update after I get that done.
post #284 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 06:27 AM

It still flashes the blue light sometimes but does not cause a problem with watching the tv. It does not turn the set off anymore since the main board was replaced. I think the blue light flashes when the TVGOS is being updated.
post #285 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone looked into updating the TVGOS on 70 series with a newer version? Can it be done or it the TVGOS is not up-gradable?
post #286 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

It still flashes the blue light sometimes but does not cause a problem with watching the tv. It does not turn the set off anymore since the main board was replaced. I think the blue light flashes when the TVGOS is being updated.

No, the blue light doesn't flash because of the update, it flashes because it's not on a strong enough station (ie weak signal),when it's trying to do the update.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #287 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 04:49 PM

I doubt this as all the stations are on cable, not OTA.
post #288 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

And stays flashing until you turn it on. It will flash for 3 days straight if you do not turn it on. So it can't only be when it is being updated.
Anyway thank you for your info. I do have one more question, sorry for all the questions.
Do you ever get the "STARTING UP, PLEASE WAIT" message when you turn your TV on? Sometimes it takes 2 to 4 min. for it to turn on.
post #289 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

No, the blue light doesn't flash because of the update, it flashes because it's not on a strong enough station (ie weak signal),when it's trying to do the update.

The TV only updates on public access channels, here in Chicago it's PBS, and with digital you either get it or you don't, no weak signal.(maybe I'm wrong)
post #290 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:

And stays flashing until you turn it on. It will flash for 3 days straight if you do not turn it on. So it can't only be when it is being updated.
Anyway thank you for your info. I do have one more question, sorry for all the questions.
Do you ever get the "STARTING UP, PLEASE WAIT" message when you turn your TV on? Sometimes it takes 2 to 4 min. for it to turn on.

No.
post #291 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt this as all the stations are on cable, not OTA.

I don't see where he states that. If that's the case ,then the ATSC tuner input should be checked as NO, in the TVGOS setup. In fact, if he only has cable, and no OTA input, he should input all zeroes for his zip code and check NO for both inputs, as cable gets it's own guide differently.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #292 of 716 Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll get that message when first turning the power on after plugging in the set. When it's on "standby" ( red light) it's fed power and you should not get the message when turning on.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #293 of 716 Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post

I don't see where he states that. If that's the case ,then the ATSC tuner input should be checked as NO, in the TVGOS setup. In fact, if he only has cable, and no OTA input, he should input all zeroes for his zip code and check NO for both inputs, as cable gets it's own guide differently.

I meant that all my stations are on cable, not OTA but I still receive the blue blinking lights with it off at the time, and it is not a problem at all. The TVGOS is useful for cable customers such as me who have a cable card. TVGOS is much more usefull than the cable provided program guide. I don't believe the blinking light can mean weak signal strength when the TVGOS is updating when all the channels are strong being on cable, not OTA
post #294 of 716 Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm...then I don't know the answer to this one. However, the 12 blinking lights is an error code.
Coincidentally, my 1140 turned off while watching this morning and I had the lights.
Was tuned to a VERY strong station on the OTA input. First time this has happenned in about 4 months.

"Talk to me Goose"
post #295 of 716 Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

are you saying sony customer service is better? do you know this from personal experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianj1125 View Post

Hey Gummby,
You should have bought a Sony LOL.They would have replaced your set by now.Guess who this is LOL.

post #296 of 716 Old 02-20-2008, 06:40 PM

brianj1125 is my smart ass uncle. He had a Sony Projection go bad on him. Sony tried to fix it 3 times, after that they just gave him a brand new set. And also gave him a 60" to replace his 50". Sony admitted to the problem and took care of it.
Sony customer service is way better in my mind.
post #297 of 716 Old 02-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last night while I was watching my month old 5080 it shut itself off and had the blinking blue light. I pushed the power button on the remote and it turned back on and everything was fine.
I was watching a DVR'd show at the time. I never set up the TV Guide when I got the TV since I have Dish.

Never signs up for anything
post #298 of 716 Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post

Last night while I was watching my month old 5080 it shut itself off and had the blinking blue light. I pushed the power button on the remote and it turned back on and everything was fine.
I was watching a DVR'd show at the time. I never set up the TV Guide when I got the TV since I have Dish.

I hope you bought an extended warranty. Mine did this a number of times and after the first year turned itself off for good, had to replace the main board and do two firmware updates, all under the extended warranty I had bought.
Beware, this is a common complaint with Pioneer tvs.
post #299 of 716 Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
No extended warranty but bought with cc that extends it for 1 year.

Never signs up for anything
post #300 of 716 Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks gumby...i got a pm from brian too.

It is clear to me, not only from these posts but from the experience jsrod (who is a friend of mine) had, that Pio customer service is unreliable. I do understand these new high-tech products are not very robust (experience from owning two Pio Plasmas) but i expect a premium manufacturer like Pio to fully stand behind their products and resolve issues quickly. In the past I have never had any problem with elite products so never had to test their customer service. Now in in the market for a good recorder but Pio is not in the plan....may be a SONY

Quote:

brianj1125 is my smart ass uncle. He had a Sony Projection go bad on him. Sony tried to fix it 3 times, after that they just gave him a brand new set. And also gave him a 60" to replace his 50". Sony admitted to the problem and took care of it.
Sony customer service is way better in my mind.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays