Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 711 Old 06-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
in on this thread for updates..

5 month old TV (5080), came home today to see the 12 blinks. turned on and worked no problem, but, just in case...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 711 Old 06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

is this the first time this happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post

5 month old TV (5080), came home today to see the 12 blinks. turned on and worked no problem, but, just in case...

post #363 of 711 Old 06-17-2008, 06:53 AM

I still have this occur sometimes despite having replaced the main board and firmware updates, but now it causes no problems so I ignore it. So do nothing unless you have problems. Buy an extended warranty if you haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post

post #364 of 711 Old 06-17-2008, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Pio's website does claim that some "blue flashes" are normal...i guess you are now in that mode. let us hope it stays that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbrowN View Post

I still have this occur sometimes despite having replaced the main board and firmware updates, but now it causes no problems so I ignore it. So do nothing unless you have problems. Buy an extended warranty if you haven't.

post #365 of 711 Old 06-18-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgkja View Post

yup just the once so far..
post #366 of 711 Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 AM

I had the blue flashes a couple of times in the first 2 months of owning my 5080. Once I found the tips in this thread, I changed the zip code for my TV guide to 00000, which will keep the guide from updating itself. I've had 4 months with no blue flashes, so hopefully that's all I needed. Maybe this'll help someone who hasn't read the rest of the thread.
post #367 of 711 Old 07-02-2008, 04:25 AM

I find your experience (Kalrith) quite interesting in that you haven't even had a service call and you've gone four months without incident. I, on the other hand, have had five service calls, two motherboard replacements, two or three firmware updates, since Feb 20, 2008. I've done all the TVGOS changes of course, and the damn thing went off again this morning. Some of you sufferers are willing to just accept this as routine. This issue has been going on for years, with other models and Pioneer knows everything about it except the cause. I have been robbed of the feeling I paid $2000 for, that being able to show off my new plasma TV. Instead, I'm embarrassed to have paid more money than my friends who got a Samsung 1080p for $500 less and zero service calls. Four months of ownership and it will be six service calls for me, all of which were touted as the solution.You think I'm going to accept this for the next decade? NFWay. I'm going to have to play hardball here, with legal action and bad publicity as my only recourse. I think they will come across and make it right for me before long. If anybody wants to be a part of a class action, well I better not get ahead of myself here.
post #368 of 711 Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 AM

I assume you have disabled TVGOS and still get blue flashes, but the question is, do they do any harm? What happens?
post #369 of 711 Old 07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

you are certainly NOT the norm..this is unusual and unacceptable. who is servicing your tv- pio or a local shop? in either case, they have not singled out the root cause. i would try pushing pio to replace the set through (customer service). i am not sure what your means are for legal action or a giant like pio can be swayed by those threats. you may have a better shot through publicity (bbb, u-tube,..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsfrankel View Post

I find your experience (Kalrith) quite interesting in that you haven't even had a service call and you've gone four months without incident. I, on the other hand, have had five service calls, two motherboard replacements, two or three firmware updates, since Feb 20, 2008. I've done all the TVGOS changes of course, and the damn thing went off again this morning. Some of you sufferers are willing to just accept this as routine. This issue has been going on for years, with other models and Pioneer knows everything about it except the cause. I have been robbed of the feeling I paid $2000 for, that being able to show off my new plasma TV. Instead, I'm embarrassed to have paid more money than my friends who got a Samsung 1080p for $500 less and zero service calls. Four months of ownership and it will be six service calls for me, all of which were touted as the solution.You think I'm going to accept this for the next decade? NFWay. I'm going to have to play hardball here, with legal action and bad publicity as my only recourse. I think they will come across and make it right for me before long. If anybody wants to be a part of a class action, well I better not get ahead of myself here.

post #370 of 711 Old 07-06-2008, 08:36 AM

blah...my 5071 is over the 1 year warranty...and I just started noticing this problem (flashing blue lights followed by TV shutdown). Is there anything I can do, knowing that Im about 2 months out of the 1 year warranty???

Thanks,
post #371 of 711 Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 AM

To answer some questions, it is Pioneer directly who I'm dealing with. What good does an extended warranty do if they can't fix the problem? I've done all of the TVGOS fixes like the 00000 zip code to no avail. Does anyone out there use this guide? Why should I be entering the wrong zip code to fix this problem? What if I actually use the TVGOS? What kind of advice is it to change the zip code from my own rather than just use the guide as it was intended? Allow it to operate properly if anything so that one can't point fingers at the guide as the cause of this problem. I've had this powering off take place just a few days between episodes and I've gone 30 days between episodes. Having replaced motherboards twice, meaning I'm on my third one, it happened again on July 2. I made my call in, was told they would get back to me, then it just happened again a few hours ago. What if it starts occurring everyday and I am out of warranty like one other fellow owner mentioned? What harm can it do? That sentence doesn't warrant an answer.
I had a 2001 Lexus LS430 that had all different problems occur right from the start. It was out of service 20+ days in the first 6 months. It qualified under Georgia laws as a lemon. When I presented my case to Lexus, they didn't hesitate to order me a new 2002 duplicate vehicle and I had to pay for my usage of the 2001 for nine months. It took just 30 days to complete the ordeal and I just love my flawless 2002 LS430.Obviously this is what's missing from the law books to protect consumers with lemon plasma TVs.
post #372 of 711 Old 07-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Two questions...Does this flashing/shutdown happen when using the TV as just a monitor and not watching cable TV? Also does this affect the 8G's as well?

I used to have a 7G and now I have an 8G and I never had this problem with either set but I only watch DVD/BluRay.
post #373 of 711 Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 AM

One piece of info I didn't add is that I used to have an OTA antenna hooked up to it. I can't remember if I ever received the flashing blue light shut down without the antenna connected, but I haven't had the antenna connected for at least a couple of months. That might have something to do with it.

lsfrankel, do you have an OTA antenna connected to the TV?
post #374 of 711 Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 AM

Yes, I do have an OTA antenna hooked up. I get my best quality picture with it for those few choices I have. To my recollection, there is nothing in the manual in the TVGOS section about being sure to have one hooked up so that the guide can update itself. My TV is a 5080.I don't know if that makes it a 7G or an 8G.
post #375 of 711 Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 AM

My TV is also a 5080. I'm just curious if my problem cleared up not because I changed the zip code in TVGOS to 00000 but because I unhooked my OTA antenna.
post #376 of 711 Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM

ATTENTION ATTENTION

I received a phone call this morning from Pioneer's top technician, the fellow who was right here in person during one of the previous episodes. He told me that my case is the only one in the country behaving the way it is after all the servicing they have done. He wanted to pick mine up and leave me a loaner which was fine by me. That was going to happen tomorrow. After I hung up, I got the 12 blinks again. Then, the phone just rang again (3PM). They are going to replace my tv with a new one. If they don't have any 5080 left, then whatever replaces it. It will take about two weeks to arrive.
post #377 of 711 Old 07-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:

ATTENTION ATTENTION

I received a phone call this morning from Pioneer's top technician, the fellow who was right here in person during one of the previous episodes. He told me that my case is the only one in the country behaving the way it is after all the servicing they have done. He wanted to pick mine up and leave me a loaner which was fine by me. That was going to happen tomorrow. After I hung up, I got the 12 blinks again. Then, the phone just rang again (3PM). They are going to replace my tv with a new one. If they don't have any 5080 left, then whatever replaces it. It will take about two weeks to arrive.

Congrats! That's awesome!
post #378 of 711 Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Leaving your OTA channel to your nearest or strongest signal before powering off will usually prevent the blinks. My first 1140 powered off ( with 12 blinks)while watching tv. I swapped it and had it happen only twice in 14mos. with replacement. I make sure to put OTA to ch 8 ,my strongest signal, before powering down.

It's bs to have to do this. Great picture though.
post #379 of 711 Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

We bought the Pioneer Elite 940 in Dec. 06. It is connected to Directv and also uses a CableCard. I was only able to use the TV guide on screen for a few months before it quit updating. I was told by Pioneer that it was a problem with the cable company and that I should use RCA cables or something like that, I can't remember the exact name of the cables. But, I should use those cables and plug them into Ant. B, still use the Cable Card to watch Ant. A, and leave the Directv HDMI cable alone. That might get the TV Guide to work. I never tried it, I just didn't use the TV Guide.

Recently, we got the blue lights and then the TV shutdown. We tried to turn it back on and before anything would show on the screen, the TV would shut down again.

Sent it to the repair shop last week, still waiting to get it back. They said it is the Power Control board and they are waiting to receive it from Pioneer. Expected to cost $700!

Reason for my post is that the TV Guide does not seem to have been related to my flashing blue lights and shutdown.
post #380 of 711 Old 07-10-2008, 12:05 PM

12 flashes relates to TV Guide / tuner. Other interations of lite flashes indicate another error.
post #381 of 711 Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsamish09 View Post

12 flashes relates to TV Guide / tuner. Other interations of lite flashes indicate another error.

I actually thought I counted 13 blue flashes, but didn't make a point out of it. Twelve seemed to be expected, so I went along with that and assumed the TV tech would fix whatever was wrong.

If the TVGOS is what caused the shutdown, why did the TV continue to work for MANY months (just under a year) without any problems? Once I had so many problems with the guide, I cleared any TV Guide settings, never set it up again and therefore no Guide Data was ever downloaded. Just the same, we don't watch cable enough to bother with it. We use Directv and their on screen guide

We got the 940 back from the shop today and it seems to be working great.
post #382 of 711 Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Don't just leave us hanging here-what was wrong with it(according to your tech) and how much did it cost you being out of warranty? And most importantly, what do you plan on doing when the TV goes off again? Better tell that tech not to toss out your old parts and get them yourself. After all, Pioneer doesn't know what is causing the problem so if your guy does, I'm sure they would like to know pronto.
post #383 of 711 Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:

To answer some questions, it is Pioneer directly who I'm dealing with. What good does an extended warranty do if they can't fix the problem? I've done all of the TVGOS fixes like the 00000 zip code to no avail. Does anyone out there use this guide? Why should I be entering the wrong zip code to fix this problem? What if I actually use the TVGOS? What kind of advice is it to change the zip code from my own rather than just use the guide as it was intended? Allow it to operate properly if anything so that one can't point fingers at the guide as the cause of this problem. I've had this powering off take place just a few days between episodes and I've gone 30 days between episodes. Having replaced motherboards twice, meaning I'm on my third one, it happened again on July 2. I made my call in, was told they would get back to me, then it just happened again a few hours ago. What if it starts occurring everyday and I am out of warranty like one other fellow owner mentioned? What harm can it do? That sentence doesn't warrant an answer.
I had a 2001 Lexus LS430 that had all different problems occur right from the start. It was out of service 20+ days in the first 6 months. It qualified under Georgia laws as a lemon. When I presented my case to Lexus, they didn't hesitate to order me a new 2002 duplicate vehicle and I had to pay for my usage of the 2001 for nine months. It took just 30 days to complete the ordeal and I just love my flawless 2002 LS430.Obviously this is what's missing from the law books to protect consumers with lemon plasma TVs.

Let Me tell you, Pioneer is just waiting for you to stop calling, or putting you off until your 1 year is up. I too had to wait for call backs, and wait and wait and wait. Did you all notice how Pioneer does not offer an extended warranty (go ahead, call them and ask). Sony does. If you did not get the aftermarket warranty when you bought your set, I think your screwed!!!! Luckly I did get the Best Buy warranty.
Hey lsfrankel did lexus ever tell you to stop using you wiper blades because it would make the car shut off. HELL NO, don't let them tell you to stop using features the tv has because they don't know what to do. YOU PAID FOR it, SO USE IT. OR GIVE US A CREDIT PIONEER!!!!!! Let me tell you, if Pioneer can't figure it out, who can. I tried many things, it's all BS: ota hook up, cable cards, tvgos, nothing works. I read all the threads and it's kind of funny - Do you have this and that hooked up to your set, did you turn this off and that on, did you get this and that software updates. IT SHOUD NOT MATTER, IT"S A TV NOT A ROCKET!!!! Until Pioneer can (or wants to) fix it, it's us who suffers.
Sorry I had to vent
post #384 of 711 Old 07-18-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:

ATTENTION ATTENTION

Good for you , It's about time, huh?
Keep us posted!!
post #385 of 711 Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM

I am now the proud owner of a brand new PDP-5020FD, Pioneer's cheapest plasma TV for 2008. The MSRP is $4000. Best Buys sells it for 3999.99 Plus delivery plus sales tax. That sounds ridiculous to me but I just went to their site and that was the price. I'm sure it can be found for around $3000. My 5080 cost me $1800 back in February. "I made out like a bandit" is the appropriate expression. Too bad they didn't leave me the 5080.
No cable card slot, only one cable connection(A), I guess with the end of analog, different menu arrangement, looks identical, picture is perfect(as is the 5080) to me, the chrome trim is now black, 18 watts per channel. Most amazing is the fact that the remote has the channel up/down on the right side with volume on the left. This is the way my 10 other remotes are laid out, but the opposite of the 5080 remote. Gone is the hidden compartment with it's door, now there are buttons for everything except the important one, in my opinion, closed captioning. There's more, but that's it for now.
post #386 of 711 Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Has anyone else have any luck with this blinking light problem? I had my local pioneer service rep replace my board with the latest firmware update but this tv still shuts out on me. Then they told me to go into the service menu and do a data reset but its still gone out on me. I had the board replace back in July 30th and I've had the blinking light go out on me 9 times! Do you think that pioneer would give me a replacement similar to lsfrankel?
post #387 of 711 Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 AM

I think they will if you get them to come out around five times. They took my 5080 to try to figure out the solution to the problem. If they haven't figured it out, then the only solution is a replacement TV. I just told them not to send anyone out unless they had the solution and I requested a replacement. It was my luck that the replacement was a new model.
post #388 of 711 Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I think they will if you get them to come out around five times. They took my 5080 to try to figure out the solution to the problem. If they haven't figured it out, then the only solution is a replacement TV. I just told them not to send anyone out unless they had the solution and I requested a replacement. It was my luck that the replaacement was a new model.

Well I just talked to my case representative over at Pioneer yesterday and they're going to have someone come over and replace my board again with the latest firmware update. I called them back this morning giving them what my current firmware is right now which is -07k.

They said its possible that the board they previously installed could've been defective. So those guys will come over and replace my board again. If this doesn't work then I'm going to tell them to replace my tv or give me a refund. I'm to embarass to have people come over and watch tv at my place with the possibility that my tv would shut down by itself and that blue light blinking at me!
post #389 of 711 Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 AM

Just let them run their course. Obviously they haven't figured out how to fix the problem yet and when the next repair fails they will be left with no alternatives. I wouldn't request a refund as that won't happen. The service rep will put in for a replacement most likely. Which model TV do you have and where do you live?
post #390 of 711 Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Just let them run their course. Obviously they haven't figured out how to fix the problem yet and when the next repair fails they will be left with no alternatives. I wouldn't request a refund as that won't happen. The service rep will put in for a replacement most likely. Which model TV do you have and where do you live?

Okay thanks for the advice! I have the 7G Elite model: Pro-1140HD and I live in South Bend, IN (blah!). I paid $2800 last June for this thing and I'd be happy if they replaced this thing with a 5020 too.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page