Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 711 Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can prob. live w/out the Guide, but will that also disable telling me the name of the current show when I press Info (or is it Display?)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 711 Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

i am pretty sure that is true...the only things you will see in the banner (as pio calls it) it the channel number and time (if you have set the clock manually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtut View Post

I can prob. live w/out the Guide, but will that also disable telling me the name of the current show when I press Info (or is it Display?)?

post #453 of 711 Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM

My pro 940 is shutting down frequently over the past few weeks, and I get the twelve blue lights. I had cable card for over a year and never had any shutdowns, but did have the blinking lights. Now, I have an OTA antenna hooked up and the TV shuts down at random intervals. I have disabled the TV Guide feature, but no luck. From what i've read sounds like I have to ditch my antenna, but it's my only source for programming. Anybody able to use antenna without any shut downs or problems?

Oh-and I called pioneer about it two weeks ago. They said it was no big deal as I am able to turn the TV back on. Seems like a big deal to me.
post #454 of 711 Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 PM

My 1 year old Pro150 just started the "shutdown 12 blinking light disorder" Any updates from other 150 owners ?
post #455 of 711 Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestef View Post

My 1 year old Pro150 just started the "shutdown 12 blinking light disorder" Any updates from other 150 owners ?

My nine month old Pro 1150 shut down on me 3 times in one weekend two weeks ago. I shut down and rebooted the TV and the DVD player, PS3 and Cable box connected via HDMI cables to TV. Since then, I have had no other incidents. I'm crossing my fingers but this problem is simply not expected for a high priced TV. I never had any problems at all with my 3 year old Panny. The fact that Pioneer cannot come up with a fix for this is lunacy.
post #456 of 711 Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM

I never had this problem before the switch to FIOS. I had comcast with a cablecard installed and TV Guide on without issues. When I switched to FIOS this issue started and it actually occurs when Verizon sends out the updates at 3am to their set top box TV Guide. So at 3am with the set turned off the red light switches to blue and starts blinking. I turn the set on and off and the problem goes away. I have had to turn the TV Guide function off by setting 00000 in my zip code and these seems to have addressed it. Of course Verizon has not been any help.
In summary I can make this occur on schedule every day like clock work. One would think that the Verizon software would be smart enough to not try to update cable cards or that the firmware in the TV would reject it. Another thing I do not like is at 3 am they add most of the channels I have deleted back in.
post #457 of 711 Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanscn View Post

I never had this problem before the switch to FIOS. I had comcast with a cablecard installed and TV Guide on without issues. When I switched to FIOS this issue started and it actually occurs when Verizon sends out the updates at 3am to their set top box TV Guide. So at 3am with the set turned off the red light switches to blue and starts blinking. I turn the set on and off and the problem goes away. I have had to turn the TV Guide function off by setting 00000 in my zip code and these seems to have addressed it. Of course Verizon has not been any help.
In summary I can make this occur on schedule every day like clock work. One would think that the Verizon software would be smart enough to not try to update cable cards or that the firmware in the TV would reject it. Another thing I do not like is at 3 am they add most of the channels I have deleted back in.

Swanscn, Yes, I used to find it blinking when I woke up and I adressed that as you did by turning the guide off. However, I'm saying that the TV will shut down when you are watching it and then the blinking lights come on. Have you had this occur yet? If not, then you are lucky.
post #458 of 711 Old 12-08-2008, 12:37 PM

I have never to this day had the shutdown problem with blue blinking lights. I guess I have been lucky, and just wanted to post another version of the blue blinkies. Besides I am most likely going to get another Pio 111FD later this week, so I was just looking through this thread.
post #459 of 711 Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 AM

I got the instructions for updating the firmware by downloading from internet onto a usb drive and installing it on the tv. But the thing is, it is for PDP-LX6090 and 5090H. When I emailed them regarding using the same instructions for PDP-5080, they said it is the same software. Anyone seen this before? I cannot post the url as I od not have 3 posts yet. If anyone is interested, it is under pioneer.eu support webpage. I have not done this yet, though.
post #460 of 711 Old 01-01-2009, 12:03 PM

I had my pro-150 FD for a year and the TV just started shutting off with the blue lights. The first time I wrote it off, but the second was in the middle of a game on the PS3, so it made no sense. Interestingly, I just setup the TV guide for the over the air portion of the TV. I wasn't using it until the last week. Has this been confirmed as the issue?
post #461 of 711 Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Happy New Year to all,
Yesterday I had the "main board" on my 150 changed because of the shut down problem. The way it was explained to me was it is not really a defective part but more a communication problem between the signal and the display. I can't yet say if it solved the problem, time will tell. stay tuned.
post #462 of 711 Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestef View Post

Happy New Year to all,
Yesterday I had the "main board" on my 150 changed because of the shut down problem. The way it was explained to me was it is not really a defective part but more a communication problem between the signal and the display. I can't yet say if it solved the problem, time will tell. stay tuned.

Yes, please let us know! My PRO-1150HD has been doing this intermittently. I've had the main board replaced once, and it still does this. I don't care if it is a "glitch" in the TV Guide communication - it's no excuse for shutting the TV off! I don't watch a lot of TV, mostly DVD/BD & home-network video, and it shuts down about every 2nd or 3rd movie (once every 5-6 hours I guess).

It's been over a month, and I can't even get the "authorized" repair center to come out and take a look.

Anyone know how to contact Pioneer and request a replacement? I bought mine thru Tweeter, and they're no help any more...
post #463 of 711 Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Pro150HD. Marginal Comcast cable signal despite several visits, but that's another story. They've just added some new HD channels, and some of them have poor S/N and have tons of macro blocking errors.

One channel in particular makes my monitor crash any time I linger on it for > 1 second or so. Let me repeat that: I can crash my set on demand any time I want just by visiting this particular channel.

When it happens, the screen is crawling with horizontal streaks of blocks and errors, then locks up, then powers off, then when I power back on (to same channel) it locks up again. Sometimes the only way I can get control back is to disconnect the cable input, then power up, then manually disable this problem channel.

I am a CS/EE, I write software for a living, and design microprocessors for fun. Having read this thread, I speculate this monitor has a control processor that interfaces to the remote, steers A/V source multiplexers, etc, and has a separate digital video processor that does digital and HD demodulation, decompression, etc. I speculate that if you feed a sufficiently marginal signal through ANT, something in this digital video processing pipeline will crash. Eventually the control processor notices the digital video processor/processing is not responding and powers down the set, flashing the blue lights as a diagnostic.

If that's what's going on, no amount of swapping boards like-for-like will help. And it is entirely possible the problem won't reproduce in the service dept. if they don't have your particular marginal signal source. You would need them to fix it / reproduce the problem in situ.

Of course no marginal signal input should ever cause a monitor to crash and shut off. The hypothetical digital video processor should shrug off such errors and (at worst) display some transient picture error for a frame or so.

If this is indeed what is going wrong, it may be possible to fix it through hypothetical firmware updates that correct hypothetical firmware shortcomings (out of bounds errors?) that allow the hypothetical digital video processor to crash on bad input. Or if it is a hardware problem, particularly on some VLSI IC, there may be no practical fix other than to avoid feeding it marginal signals.

If a Pioneer monitor engineer should wish to visit my home and see me crash my set on demand, please PM me.
post #464 of 711 Old 01-10-2009, 06:00 AM

Sounds like you know what your talking about "write_barrier". I wish you worked for Pioneer. I think ALL Pioneer techs are straight out of high school.
I would love more info from you, and let us know if anyone from Pioneer does contact you. It would be in their best interest to do so. For as of 2 years ago I have not and will not buy Pioneer again, until I am 110% sure things are right.
I also hate the fact that they offer something, and then tell us not to use it.
post #465 of 711 Old 01-14-2009, 06:04 AM

I understand that the shutdown problem appears to stem from a weak over the air signal, but does that mean that if you have any weak channel this problem will continue to occur?
Has anyone received a firmware or hardware fix that actually fixed this problem?
post #466 of 711 Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewa View Post

I understand that the shutdown problem appears to stem from a weak over the air signal, but does that mean that if you have any weak channel this problem will continue to occur?
Has anyone received a firmware or hardware fix that actually fixed this problem?

Many who have posted here have received both to no avail. I have the problem as well. I also have a 4 year warranty on it, that will not expire until November of 2010. It is annoying, but not something I will call for service at this time. Since nobody here, sans one who got a new set, has reported that their issue was totally fixed, I don't want to be without my set. It would most likely come back to me unfixed anyway.
post #467 of 711 Old 02-23-2009, 07:42 AM

It used to be that I only got this when the TV Guide was being updated. I have turned tv guide back on so I could get the correct time. Why is it you can not set the clock if you ever had the TV Guide function enabled? But I digress, now I get the blinking blue lights multiple times a day mostly whele the TV is turned off. Now it turns off if we have it turned on maybe I never had the set on when the problem occured. I am using a cablecard in this TV and my Verizon signal strength is very high. I have the problem on a 4270 not the 5070 but it seems to be the same. I have looked through this thread and have seen things like MB replaced firmware updated, but I have never seen anyone say this has fixed the problem.
Any advice would be helpful, guess I will disable TV Guide again and see if the problem goes away.
post #468 of 711 Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanscn View Post

It used to be that I only got this when the TV Guide was being updated. I have turned tv guide back on so I could get the correct time. Why is it you can not set the clock if you ever had the TV Guide function enabled? But I digress, now I get the blinking blue lights multiple times a day mostly whele the TV is turned off. Now it turns off if we have it turned on maybe I never had the set on when the problem occured. I am using a cablecard in this TV and my Verizon signal strength is very high. I have the problem on a 4270 not the 5070 but it seems to be the same. I have looked through this thread and have seen things like MB replaced firmware updated, but I have never seen anyone say this has fixed the problem.
Any advice would be helpful, guess I will disable TV Guide again and see if the problem goes away.

In this 5070 owner's experience, the only thing that makes the problem go away is to discontinue using the TV's ATSC tuner altogether. Stinks, I know, but it's still a great monitor...
post #469 of 711 Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusterK View Post

In this 5070 owner's experience, the only thing that makes the problem go away is to discontinue using the TV's ATSC tuner altogether. Stinks, I know, but it's still a great monitor...

I agree. I hadn't received the blue light issue in 8-10 months with nothing connected to the antenna inputs. I installed an OTA antenna that I will connect to a computer TV card. I was testing the signal of the antenna before I built the computer and connected it to the ATSC tuner on my 5080. I received the flashing blue light shut-down twice in less than an hour! I'm very thankful that the tuner on the computer will be used rather than the one on the TV.
post #470 of 711 Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 AM

OK... Just had a minor Fit when I woke up this morning - Blue Flashing Light of Doom. But powered down the Box and left it for 10 Mins. Seems to have worked, looked like in this case it may have been static but only time will tell. Fortunately, I live VERY close to pioneers Maidenhead address and can assure anyone reading this that I will be standing outside their location a 5 to 9:00 am if this happens again tomorrow with the Box in hand.

We spent £2,500.00 on the screen (it is a glorious piece of kit!) and its no more than 18 months old - so I'm just not able to accept that nothing can be done. This is the second Pioneer item with issues and I am concerned about another future purchase. My VSX-D2011 Amp has a known issue with the manual Volume and Channel Select button. I have discussed it and for a fee they will fix it - But the issue with their suppler is well documented - NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

So, listen up Pioneer Marketing Manager The Next HI-FI Show, you may get more than you bargained for! Imagine that - The Pioneer Stand surrounded by disgruntled customers!!!
post #471 of 711 Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM

Your blue blinking lights on the PDP5070 are: "Communication with the D-TUNER".

I would post a Rapidshare link for everyone to down load the 2007 Service Manual, but the forum has that three post rule...

BB
post #472 of 711 Old 03-20-2009, 10:53 AM

...Here's me getting by the three post rule...

BB
post #473 of 711 Old 03-20-2009, 10:54 AM

...And one more time...

BB
post #474 of 711 Old 03-20-2009, 10:55 AM

Here's the Pioneer Field Service Guide for 2007... It includes the PDP5070. ...Page 90 for the diagnostic LEDs...

http://rapidshare.com/files/21152014...ev1.2.rar.html
MD5: 48727C887591DCACEDF7771FAA6B488B

Give Pioneer hell! ...Tell them BitBug sent you ...And above all, have fun!

BB
post #475 of 711 Old 03-26-2009, 04:52 AM

Bitbug,
I'm getting the following error on your shortcut to the service manual:

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Would it be possible for you to do this above request or PM me?

I have a PDP-4270 that's giving me the blue blinking light problem with a code 12. I have a pioneer service company coming out to replace the main board and do the software updates but from reading thru this thread I'm not sure that will help the matter for the long term.

Thanks for any info,
2Dog
post #476 of 711 Old 03-28-2009, 03:19 PM

post #477 of 711 Old 03-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Does anybody have or know where to get the field service guide for 9G panels?
post #478 of 711 Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 PM

So...mine (PDP-5080) started the dreaded power down and 12 blue light blink yesterday. Nice to see the service guide here but has anyone gotten pioneer to fix their set yet? I'll be calling mine in on Monday. I see from the manual that it is related to digital tuner comm but is this a hardware failure or software?
Thanks for sharing knowledge
Mike

Mike
post #479 of 711 Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 PM

As others have stated in this thread, there is no 100% fix. Many have had firmware updates or board replacements, to no avail. A few have had success with disabling the TV Guide and not having an external antenna hooked up. That seems to be the only thing that works for sure.
I choose to live with it. I still have one and a half years left on the extended warranty. I have not had any real issues, other than the occasional shut off. It does not shut off often, but I do get the blinkies at least a couple times a week, overnight.
Since I have a DVR, I can always rewind if it shuts off. It is an inconvenience, but not a show stopper. I like having the external antenna for the occasional times when cable goes out.
post #480 of 711 Old 03-29-2009, 06:07 PM

I was able to get it on again but only for an hour or two. I have it connected to comcast cable and I have a cable card. I can force the shutdown by selecting the guide. This problem must be related to guide data some how. I also wonder if it is tripped by the auto guide update? Anyone with thoughts on this?

Mike
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page