Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #481 of 711 Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you be more specific about the site, I've looked and have seen nothing related to Plasma?
Thanks
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by srig View Post

I got the instructions for updating the firmware by downloading from internet onto a usb drive and installing it on the tv. But the thing is, it is for PDP-LX6090 and 5090H. When I emailed them regarding using the same instructions for PDP-5080, they said it is the same software. Anyone seen this before? I cannot post the url as I od not have 3 posts yet. If anyone is interested, it is under pioneer.eu support webpage. I have not done this yet, though.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 711 Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 AM

Called Pioneer this morning and obtained a trouble ticket. Seems there is firmware available and that is the direction I'm heading. Tech stated that the firmware would fix problem if TV was able to be started with remote after the 12 blinking light scenario. By the way he stated this is free.

I track the OTA and Cable side of this forum for our area and have noticed an increase in the number of treads discussing local changes to channels lateley, any idea if this is connected, ie weak signals triggering the TV tuner to fail?

I'll update after the firmware is installed, may take several days to coordinate an inhome visit.

Mike
post #483 of 711 Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Please do,
This issues just started happening to me last week. I can't even watch a movie with the cable unplugged! It just shuts off and 12 blue flashes-pause-repeat!

Aggravating.

Paul
post #484 of 711 Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

very likely...many 12-blinks per this thread are related to tv's inability to get tv-guide data....we are also experiencing channel rearrangements as the cable co gets ready for the digital transition as well as the sdv technology. one manifestation of the channel shits has been loss of the tv guide - though i have not experienced the blinks yet. (i have 3 device using it)

hopefully the the firmware will fix...good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Called Pioneer this morning and obtained a trouble ticket. Seems there is firmware available and that is the direction I'm heading. Tech stated that the firmware would fix problem if TV was able to be started with remote after the 12 blinking light scenario. By the way he stated this is free.

I track the OTA and Cable side of this forum for our area and have noticed an increase in the number of treads discussing local changes to channels lateley, any idea if this is connected, ie weak signals triggering the TV tuner to fail?

I'll update after the firmware is installed, may take several days to coordinate an inhome visit.

post #485 of 711 Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 PM

I called Best Buy and have a service technician coming to the house on 4/7/09 to look at the TV. I'll let everyone know if he is able to resolve the issue.

P
post #486 of 711 Old 04-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls2ndblessng View Post

I called Best Buy and have a service technician coming to the house on 4/7/09 to look at the TV. I'll let everyone know if he is able to resolve the issue.

P

My tech called and told me he had trouble finding some gear and would reschedule. However, I have gotten my quide back and everything seems normal?
What were your results?

Mike
post #487 of 711 Old 04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

losing guide is not uncommon these days (there are other posts on this) as the cable companies rearrange their lineup. i have 3 devices that us the guide: a panny dvr, a 7g pio and an 8g pio- they all have lost guide a couple of times each (but it comes back in a day or two)... interestingly, the 8g lost it more than 7g and the panny.

Quote:

My tech called and told me he had trouble finding some gear and would reschedule. However, I have gotten my quide back and everything seems normal?
What were your results?

post #488 of 711 Old 04-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:

My tech called and told me he had trouble finding some gear and would reschedule. However, I have gotten my guide back and everything seems normal?
What were your results?

Any have any better operation with the firmware upgrade, I haven't heard anything or seen anyone mention it here?

I kept being put off by the repair center so I sent a letter to pio, they responded that they would be in contact but so far nothing, 3 days and counting. Not sure I want anyone touching it now as the guide has returned and the TV is working very well. I am still suspicious about the changes being made to local channels on the days I was having problems.

On another note my PDP 503CMX went Tango Uniform during all this. It is our older model that we use in the bedroom. Failure indicated by 5 blinking red lights, bad power supply. Rather then pay for a tech to fix I ordered the power supply from Pio and plan to do the R&R myself. I saw a few on line but did not want to chance a used PCB and went directly to Pio for the replacement. It is due here this afternoon. I may take the failed board and get it repaired as a spare. I can see a blown resister but not sure if there are other problems. I found a few places that have actually listed this power supply as repairable.

Mike

Mike
post #489 of 711 Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Installed new power supply tonight and it has worked great so far. The only thing I'd recommend if anyone tries this is to be sure to
1-read any accompaning data closely, my install did not require any service menu changes but some might according to what I read on the data that came with the power supply.
2-compare the dip switchs closely, there are two on the power supply board, both show eithe 200 or 100 volts. One of the two on the new board did not match the removed board and all I did was switch it to 100.
Again, pretty basic remove and replacement job, not too difficult just lots of screws. Also there were 8 connectors to the board, just took my time and it went smooth.
I may take the old board and send it off for repair or at least have it quoted for repair, could be usefull to off set the cost of the new one if I can sell it, or keep it just in case....

It is now Dec 09 and I've not had another problem with my PDP503cmx.
Mike

Mike
post #490 of 711 Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 AM

I’ve scanned through this thread but can’t seem to get a solution for my problem. Any ideas would be welcome.
Just got a Pio5010 with TVGOS. From what I’ve read the CBS station in West Palm Beach has been confirmed as sending digital TV guide info. However I set up the TVGOS three days ago but have received no information yet. What I have noticed is that the clock on my TV ids off by 30 minutes but it is not possible to change it, as I get a message that the TV Guide is now controlling the clock. Does this mean some communication is taking place? Do I have to do anything else to try and get TV Guide information? Also, yesterday noticed blue led flashing 12 times when TV was off. I hope this is related to the TVGOS issue. How do I regain control over the clock? I tried the 00000 and no antennas trick and it didn’t work after after powering off the set.

thx
post #491 of 711 Old 04-30-2009, 08:21 AM

Unplug tv from rear, wait a few min replug. Put in your normal zip then wait for a few days with the power off but in standby mode to see if the guide loads. If that does not work call Pioneer and get a case number assigned. It is my understanding they will load firmware to fix this free. My TV was working fine after initial problem of 12 blinks over a few days. Seemed to correct itself over time. I called for a case number and had the tech come out and load the firmware only to end up with another problem, now it shuts down and blinks 9 times. I believe the tech loaded the second set of software wrong and caused another problem. I'm now waiting on a new main board. Mine will not be fixed til next Monday at earliest. Keep us informed on repairs please.

I have nothing to base this on but I believe our tuners are weak at uploading new data from TVGOS. When changes are being made at local stations it puts our pio's in this communication issue with 12 blinks. I'm almost convinced that with the local stations changes complete the TV will return to normal over time. Again, nothing to base this on but except watching mine operate then self correct. True test will be in June when everything goes digital, we will see how many come here to report problems.
Thanks
Mike

Mike
post #492 of 711 Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfl View Post

I've scanned through this thread but can't seem to get a solution for my problem. Any ideas would be welcome.
Just got a Pio5010 with TVGOS. From what I've read the CBS station in West Palm Beach has been confirmed as sending digital TV guide info. However I set up the TVGOS three days ago but have received no information yet. What I have noticed is that the clock on my TV ids off by 30 minutes but it is not possible to change it, as I get a message that the TV Guide is now controlling the clock. Does this mean some communication is taking place? Do I have to do anything else to try and get TV Guide information? Also, yesterday noticed blue led flashing 12 times when TV was off. I hope this is related to the TVGOS issue. How do I regain control over the clock? I tried the 00000 and no antennas trick and it didn't work after after powering off the set.

thx

You might also try doing another channel scan. With all of the switching channel locations going on, who knows. Just a shot in the dark. Good luck. Does your picture break up on that channel at all. If you are not getting a good strong signal that could definitely be a problem.
post #493 of 711 Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I read on another thread that resetting your zip code to 00000 will fix the blue blinking light shut off problem. Has anyone had any success with this? I just picked up a 5010 a few weeks ago and it has done this several times. This happened once last week and 4 times in a row last night about 1:00am.

Kagolu
post #494 of 711 Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Well where do I begin. First a reminder. My PDP 5080 had the 12 blue blink problem and I called Pioneer who sent a tech to fix it with a firmware upgrade. The first part went well but the second part apparently caused the main board to no longer work, got 9 blinking blue lights. No idea what the parts of the firmware upgrade entail other then the first part is suppose to fix the communication, 12 blue blink problem.
While waiting for replacement main board my other PDP 503cmx power supply fried. No help from Pioneer as the warranty and extended warranty on these power supplies was over. I ordered one from Pio and installed it myself. So far so good, this panel is working fine. I may take the old one and have it fixed for sale or hold just in case.
The tech installed the main board in the PDP5080 last nite and the tv works. I had to reset the zip code data and am waiting on the guide to refresh to see if that works. So for now I'm happy.

Mike
post #495 of 711 Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Hi y'all

Has anyone experienced a blinking blue 5 times?? suggestions??
post #496 of 711 Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post

Hi y'all

What plasma do you have?

Mike
post #497 of 711 Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What plasma do you have?

Pioneer Elite...Pro 150FD
post #498 of 711 Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Pioneer Elite...Pro 150FD

My guess is an audio failure, check your external speakers if you have any?
Maybe a short in the external speaker cable?

I see this listed in the Factory Service manual for various other models all listing 5 blue LED blinks.

Could also be a bad audio IC/defective Amp IC or simply disconnected speaker cables.

Check all your cables, see if they are connected correctly and that they do not have any breaks or in contact with PDP chassis.

Mike
post #499 of 711 Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2JSTS View Post

I'm convinced this is a quality of OTA signal thing combined with a Pioneer Tuner/FW thing. But in my case upgrading antennas and improving my signal greatly improved the situation.

I have a 150 and recently encountered the 12 blinking blue lights after moving from Indianapolis to South Bend.

I use OTA and have had trouble getting a new TV Guide to load (not sure local PBS supports TV Guide).

We also have a funky ABC station (WBND-57) that has always had terrible analog signnal strength and now has terrible digital signal strength (as well as an audio signal louder than other local stations). The digital signal is so bad I'm guessing that is why Direct TV still carries only the analog signal (with the accompanying audio problem).

I've noticed the blinking problem mostly AFTER WATCHING THIS POOR DIGITAL SIGNAL OTA.

So I would whole-heartedly agree that the problem appears to be related to OTA reception of poor digital signals (or perhaps incorrect loading of the TV Guide).
post #500 of 711 Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My guess is an audio failure, check your external speakers if you have any?
Maybe a short in the external speaker cable?

I see this listed in the Factory Service manual for various other models all listing 5 blue LED blinks.

Could also be a bad audio IC/defective Amp IC or simply disconnected speaker cables.

Check all your cables, see if they are connected correctly and that they do not have any breaks or in contact with PDP chassis.

I had an audio board replaced about 3 months ago...got a Shutting Down..check speaker cable messge....this was 9 blinking lights....called pio....ok'd local repair service...speaker wires and cables were found to be fine by the repairman. He.did replace the audio board...have not seen that particular message since...
Then the 5 blinking lights just hit.....could be an anomaly...after shutting down,I turned the Power back on to the TV...all was,and still is,fine...will contact Pio if this re -occurs.....Just wanted to know if anyone else had this "Pleasurable Experience?"
post #501 of 711 Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The only way I resolved(?) the issue of shutdown is to select Ant-B when I watch any other source like HDMI. I have nothing connected to Ant-B. I have tried setting the zipcode to 00000 and it helps but after a few days it shuts down. All digital signals are strong but a few times I do get drop outs - this is what I think causes the shutdowns.
post #502 of 711 Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

did you try the "master reset?" just wondering if that really resets things

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

The only way I resolved(?) the issue of shutdown is to select Ant-B when I watch any other source like HDMI. I have nothing connected to Ant-B. I have tried setting the zipcode to 00000 and it helps but after a few days it shuts down. All digital signals are strong but a few times I do get drop outs - this is what I think causes the shutdowns.

post #503 of 711 Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:

Hi y'all

I switched to Fios in Nov 08 I have the 150 also...while playing with the Fios menu, I switched the Motorola box from audio setting "Auto" to "pass through"...and then short circuit message 5 blue lights...reset box to lpcm same5 lights etc ...back to auto; normal. that was the only time I saw that until tonight....Not sure what I did with the remote but it was on mute I believe.(I had my headphones on listening to the radio) but was messing with the tv remote and bam- the circuit message tv off 5 blue lights... hit power and all was normal...I don't think I'll worry about it unless it happens randomly with me doing nothing... had the 150 for 2 years in Oct only had the shutdown with Fios...also since i got fios no TV Guide it doesn't load I went in tonight and zero'd out my zipcode...also noticed my date and time were way off corrected that.
post #504 of 711 Old 08-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Make sure u purchase some extended warranties!
alan in cc,tx
post #505 of 711 Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izub View Post

I switched to Fios in Nov 08 I have the 150 also...while playing with the Fios menu, I switched the Motorola box from audio setting "Auto" to "pass through"...and then short circuit message 5 blue lights...reset box to lpcm same5 lights etc ...back to auto; normal. that was the only time I saw that until tonight....Not sure what I did with the remote but it was on mute I believe.(I had my headphones on listening to the radio) but was messing with the tv remote and bam- the circuit message tv off 5 blue lights... hit power and all was normal...I don't think I'll worry about it unless it happens randomly with me doing nothing... had the 150 for 2 years in Oct only had the shutdown with Fios...also since i got fios no TV Guide it doesn't load I went in tonight and zero'd out my zipcode...also noticed my date and time were way off corrected that.

I still have the pio warranty and will for another full year...+ the extended as well..
It has not happened since my initial posting....but,like you,I am not really worried bout this....unless it happens several times over the next 9 months or so...
post #506 of 711 Old 08-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopzilla View Post

I've had my 5070 since mid December, and late last week it decided to shut off while I was watching TV. I've been reading about this in the forums, but my issues seems to be a little different than what most people have been experiencing. Most people have been talking about the blue light blinking 12 times, well mine is blinking 13 times. Believe me, I'm not crazy...I've counted 13 blinks 5 separate times. At this point, I can't get the screen to turn on at all. When I unplug the TV and plug it back in, the red standby light turns on as if its going to work. As soon as I turn the Power on by using the remote, the blue light turns on for about 10 seconds, then it starts to blink again ( 13 blinks ).

I tried searching the forums for this issue, but wasn't able to find anything. Has anyone else had or heard of this issue?

I've owned this TV for about two years and it has died on me out of warranty.

I have the same issue. It originally blinked blue circular lights and I didnt count them and then when I unplugged it and plugged it back in since it wouldnt turn on now I get a red LED for about 3 seconds and then it clicks off. I cant turn the PDP-5070PU on at all. In the past it had blinked lights and wouldnt turn on then after about 5 hours it would turn on. I had a tech come out and wasted 95 dollars for him to tell me that my power supply works fine and that means it must be the main board.

He now wants to charge me 900 dollars and thats with 300 for the labor.

The main board part number is AWV2312. The main board is hidden behind some framing at the bottom middle. Remember this is the US BB board and not the X or Y board. Also for others, the reference power supply part number is 1H349WA. This board is the large board in the middle top.

Also a free PDP-5070 service manual can be downloaded here:

Or PM me and one day I might send it to you even though I don't sign on here much.

The cool thing is I got to see how you take apart the entire assembly. So my plan is to say F the service rep that wants $900 because I can buy a new panel for that, and I want to do the repair myself. We will see how this goes. My initial plan is to remove and replace the main board, and back up is to replace the power supply, and third back up is to replace the digital board. The service board does have a flowchart to determine what parts need replaced and it appears its my main board but incase that doesnt work out I ahve a few more things to replace that might fix it.

I have already unplugged and removed the mainboard. It was rather easy even though theres about 10+ cables that connect into it.

My overall back up plan is to sell the TV for parts if all doesnt work. I barely even used the TV, average less than 30 minutes a day over 2 years. No abuse no gaming etc.

I wish you all the best and hope you dont run into the dead TV issue I have where your out of warranty and they want an arm and a leg to replace it. Might as well do it yourself

If anyone has any similar experiences to share or help me in my knowledge please let me know.

This is bound to get interesting doing it myself It's kind of exciting actually. Let the journey begin... I'm just hoping it works Plus the main board costs 150 and the power supply if I need one is 50-100 so I can't lose too much money.

Its sad that this TV is basically old technology and basically worth nothing but a few parts. Maybe this TV isn't as reliable as people think..... love the picture though. Tech told me LCD is a lot more reliable these days

OH and if you want a FREE SERVICE MANUAL ---> GO HERE:
I would recommend downloading asap before it's not available one day

http://rc5.ru/upload/pioneer_tv_PDP-...(ARP-3354).pdf

Also theres a white button that has to be pressed when the case is open if you want to run the TV with the case open. The case normally closes this button. When the button is open when the case is upon the TV won't turn on. I think its on the right mid framing arm. It's white in color and if I remember correctly the button is like a triangle. I just taped it into the down position.
post #507 of 711 Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So...mine (PDP-5080) .... I see from the manual that it is related to digital tuner comm but is this a hardware failure or software?
Thanks for sharing knowledge
Mike

Do you have an electronic copy of the PDP-5080HD service manual (I have the Owners manual)? If so, I would sure like to get a copy. If not, perhaps you would be willing to just scan/pdf the trouble-shooting section (i.e. codes) and e-mail me a copy. I am also experiencing the 12-blinking-blue-light dance.

CountryBumkin
post #508 of 711 Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Liked: 12
So I have a different problem. Sometimes, with increasing frequency I think, I find it flashing blue when I have already turned it off. Goes on until I turn it back on, never any problem turning it on. Not sure if it went straight to blue when I turned it off or changed later. Any ideas? PDP-4270HD

Paul
post #509 of 711 Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 PM

Count the number of flashing blue lights next time, they mean something!

Mike
post #510 of 711 Old 08-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

So I have a different problem. Sometimes, with increasing frequency I think, I find it flashing blue when I have already turned it off. Goes on until I turn it back on, never any problem turning it on. Not sure if it went straight to blue when I turned it off or changed later. Any ideas? PDP-4270HD

Read the thread.....pretty much it has all been covered.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page