Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 716 Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey,
Has anybody checked their firmware version? As posted earlier, hold down "Display" for about 10 sec. Mine says:

06. 08d
2. 4 .2525
04.11d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

This problem is just the guide trying to update itself. Go into the guide setup, and tell it not to update, and put 0000 in for your zipcode. Then set the clock to be set manually. This fixed the problem on my 6070.

I've got the 5071HD and I cannot set the clock. When I select Clock from the tuner setup I get "This feature is not currently available - the Interactive Program Guide has already set the clock".

In the TVGuide menus I have zipcode=00000 and whenever I press TVGuide on the remote I go to the setup menus (disabled??). How do I get to set the clock to manual and tell the guide to not update?
post #33 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

I've got the 5071HD and I cannot set the clock. When I select Clock from the tuner setup I get "This feature is not currently available - the Interactive Program Guide has already set the clock".

In the TVGuide menus I have zipcode=00000 and whenever I press TVGuide on the remote I go to the setup menus (disabled??). How do I get to set the clock to manual and tell the guide to not update?

I'm having the same problem. Even after disabling the TV guide, 'blue flashing' came back a few times. I recall reading someone mentioning setting the clock to manual mode so I go into the clock setting but won't let me do it. I just called the Pioneer Tech support and the response was 'hum, that's unusual you should be able to adjust the clock.....' I'm not happy about this at all. They seemed to be able of this problem so why not fix it rather than have people disable a feature--TV Guide. All they could offer was to call an authorize service tech to come take a look which is covered under the warranty. No mention of firmware fix either. I'll post update.
post #34 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Purchased an 1140HD and set it up yesterday. Skipped the TVG setup after initial power-up and had the channel change lock-up within 20 minutes. Turned off the set and on power-up, got the "standby" message and then the shutdown with the BLUE LED flashing 12 times. Only using a cable connection on ANT A. Went through the normal TVG setup and watched a few hours of HD last night with no channel changing problems. Shut the set off last night and when I got up this morning the BLUE LED was flashing 12 again. Have turned off the TVGOS and disabled clock update. Will see if this fixes anything. My firmware versions are:

06.08d
04.11d

I have been writing embedded firmware for over 25 years for products as complex as the 1140HD. Based on the number of posts from owners with the same problem, I would say this is a BIG firmware problem that has to get fixed. Have called the Pioneer tech from the store where I bought the set and will post whatever I find out from him.
post #35 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskim View Post

I'm having the same problem. Even after disabling the TV guide, 'blue flashing' came back a few times. I recall reading someone mentioning setting the clock to manual mode so I go into the clock setting but won't let me do it. I just called the Pioneer Tech support and the response was 'hum, that's unusual you should be able to adjust the clock.....' I'm not happy about this at all. They seemed to be able of this problem so why not fix it rather than have people disable a feature--TV Guide. All they could offer was to call an authorize service tech to come take a look which is covered under the warranty. No mention of firmware fix either. I'll post update.

Thanks for the update. I left my set in Ant-A mode before going to bed yesterday. When I get home, I want to see if the clock has updated. There is something in the FAQ on the Pio site regarding the TV Guide. Even with the guide disabled zip=00000, I may try this.

(from Pio website):

I have lost the TV Guide listings on my plasma TV. How do I get them back?

1. Go to TV Guide.
2. Go up to the navigation bar.
3. Arrow left or right, to the SET UP tab.
4. Arrow down once to highlight CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS. (Do not hit enter; only highlight it.)
5. Enter code number 653274147. You will not see anything happen until you complete the code. Once you complete the code, the unit will perform a power cycle. When this is completed, turn the unit off. The TV Guide should start to repopulate within 24-48 hours.

If the TV Guide still fails to load, or has never loaded, please contact our Product Support at 1-800-421-1404. They will check your connections and complete a diagnostics form, to troubleshoot further.
post #36 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

After re-reading all the posts here, I wonder how many of us have cable vs. OTA antenna connected? I only have an OTA antenna connected to Ant-A and never saw a flashing blue light, channel changes, freezes.

Maybe if we can narrow down the problem a bit, Pioneer can find a fix.
post #37 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 AM

whsbuss

But aren't we trying to disable TV Guide because it is causing the 'blue flashing lights' problem? My TV Guide was working fine and I like its features. I'm disabling it because everyone seems to say that once disabled, the problem is solved.
post #38 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whsbuss

But aren't we trying to disable TV Guide because it is causing the 'blue flashing lights' problem? My TV Guide was working fine and I like its features. I'm disabling it because everyone seems to say that once disabled, the problem is solved.

I'm not overly sure its a TV Guide problem. Some have stated they disabled it and it still caused problems. A few of the posts indicate quick channel switching in tuner mode caused freezes and the ultimate flashing blue light.

After you disabled the TV Guide (zip=00000 I assume?) have you had any further problems?
post #39 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 11:52 AM

whsbuss

yes, the very first time was when i was flipping through the channels quickly. then, i disabled the TV guide by inputting 00000. since, i had two more occassions, first, when i got home one day, with the tv off, there was the blue flashing and then one night i was running 'break-in dvd' and it just shut itself down, followed by the blue flashing. i wanted to tried setting the clock to manual because i read that you needed to do both--disabling tv guide and setting the clock to manual. but i can't change the clock setting.

if this is only isolate problem with antenna being connected to input 'A' then i'll just go get the cable. but i haven't read anything that says it either. tech support that i spoke to did acknowledged that 'usually' the blue flashing stops once you disabled tv guide.
post #40 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whsbuss

yes, the very first time was when i was flipping through the channels quickly. then, i disabled the TV guide by inputting 00000. since, i had two more occassions, first, when i got home one day, with the tv off, there was the blue flashing and then one night i was running 'break-in dvd' and it just shut itself down, followed by the blue flashing. i wanted to tried setting the clock to manual because i read that you needed to do both--disabling tv guide and setting the clock to manual. but i can't change the clock setting.

if this is only isolate problem with antenna being connected to input 'A' then i'll just go get the cable. but i haven't read anything that says it either. tech support that i spoke to did acknowledged that 'usually' the blue flashing stops once you disabled tv guide.

I'm not convienced that setting zip=00000 really disables the guide. Its not documented anywhere. But someone suggested disconnecting Ant-A, then going to tuner setup, and setting the clock to manual. I'll be trying that later tonight.
post #41 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

After re-reading all the posts here, I wonder how many of us have cable vs. OTA antenna connected? I only have an OTA antenna connected to Ant-A and never saw a flashing blue light, channel changes, freezes.

Maybe if we can narrow down the problem a bit, Pioneer can find a fix.

Very interesting. I would also be interested in knowing the answer to this observation. Can some folks who have experienced the problem comment if they have both A and B connected or just A for OTA connected?

Thanks
post #42 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM

okay, here we go. after my unsatisfactory phone call to pioneer support, i sent in a long message via email describing my problem to pioneer. i got a quick reply asking me to phone in and ask for 'tech support'. apparently, when i first called, i wasn't speaking to the 'tech support' person????? anyway, i called again and this time i got a 'real tech support person. as soon as i tell him about my first incident (rapid channel surfing followed by a freeze followed by a blue flashing lights), he says that there IS a firmware update. he said i should contact my local authorized service center and have them do the firmware update. i'll update the progress.
post #43 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. Please find out the firmware update Pioneer indicates so we can contact our authorized dealer.

Although I haven't had the freeze or flashing blue light problem, I cannot set my tuner clock. I disconnected the OTA antenna, powered down/up and it still says the program guide has already set the clock.

So I setup the TVGuide with my zipcode, went to the menus to set general options to not auto update. But I still cannot set the clock. Maybe I should email support.

EDIT: what's your firmware version (press "display" for 10 seconds)
Here's mine (manfactured Nov. 2006)

06.08d
2. 4. 2525
04. 11d
post #44 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm917 View Post

Purchased an 1140HD and set it up yesterday. Skipped the TVG setup after initial power-up and had the channel change lock-up within 20 minutes. Turned off the set and on power-up, got the "standby" message and then the shutdown with the BLUE LED flashing 12 times. Only using a cable connection on ANT A. Went through the normal TVG setup and watched a few hours of HD last night with no channel changing problems. Shut the set off last night and when I got up this morning the BLUE LED was flashing 12 again. Have turned off the TVGOS and disabled clock update. Will see if this fixes anything. My firmware versions are:

06.08d
04.11d

I have been writing embedded firmware for over 25 years for products as complex as the 1140HD. Based on the number of posts from owners with the same problem, I would say this is a BIG firmware problem that has to get fixed. Have called the Pioneer tech from the store where I bought the set and will post whatever I find out from him.

Question: how did you disable the clock update?
post #45 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:

okay, here we go. after my unsatisfactory phone call to pioneer support, i sent in a long message via email describing my problem to pioneer. i got a quick reply asking me to phone in and ask for 'tech support'. apparently, when i first called, i wasn't speaking to the 'tech support' person????? anyway, i called again and this time i got a 'real tech support person. as soon as i tell him about my first incident (rapid channel surfing followed by a freeze followed by a blue flashing lights), he says that there IS a firmware update. he said i should contact my local authorized service center and have them do the firmware update. i'll update the progress.

This is very good news. Keep us up to date as to what happens. I wonder if this can be downloaded via the net to a USB key and then downloaded to the PDP. It probably will not be that easy and require an actual visit by a Pio service technican.
post #46 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Question: how did you disable the clock update?

I disabled the clock update by first going into the TVGOS and running through the setup and setting the ZIP code to 00000 and then saying NO when asked about "cable service" and also saying NO to the "antenna connected" question. I completed and saved that setup info and then was able to back out and enter the "Tuner Setup" menu and select "Clock" and follow that menu through to the "Auto/Manual Set" selection. Then I chose "Manual" and was able to continue right and set the time and day.
post #47 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm917 View Post

I disabled the clock update by first going into the TVGOS and running through the setup and setting the ZIP code to 00000 and then saying NO when asked about "cable service" and also saying NO to the "antenna connected" question. I completed and saved that setup info and then was able to back out and enter the "Tuner Setup" menu and select "Clock" and follow that menu through to the "Auto/Manual Set" selection. Then I chose "Manual" and was able to continue right and set the time and day.

That did not work for me. Every time I selected Clock I got the "guide has already set the clock". So I email Pio support and was asked to call in for the reset procedure.

I don't want to post what the tech had me do because of warranty issues. But basically it reset the TV to the initial turn-on setup. At the TV Guide menu I selected Skip and don't remind me. At that point I was able to manually set the clock, rescan my OTA channels, and picture settings (they all reset).
post #48 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM

it didn't work for me either. By the time I called my local authorized service center, it was too late to schedule an appointment for today and they obviously don't work on weekends so I'll just have to wait 'til next week.

As for my TV's firmware version its:
06.08d
04.11d
It was manufactured in Dec 06.
post #49 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it didn't work for me either. By the time I called my local authorized service center, it was too late to schedule an appointment for today and they obviously don't work on weekends so I'll just have to wait 'til next week.

06.08d
04.11d

Keep us updated. It will be interesting to see if they even know about the firmware update.
post #50 of 716 Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:

06.08d
04.11d

Which panel do you have the 5070 or 1140 Elite series panel?
post #51 of 716 Old 01-27-2007, 12:18 AM

Liked: 11
Ok here's my attempt to summarize the specifics

First, I am using an OTA antenna on input A, receiving local HD broadcast. I have a 5070 (purchased Dec 06) and my firmware is
06. 08d
2. 4. 2525
04.11d

I first had the TVGOS setup and experienced the sudden power shut down and flashing blue light. Since then I have disabled TVGOS (zip=00000), but still have auto clock set and I'm still experiencing the problem. However, I have never had the blue light flashing after returning from work/overnight, etc.
post #52 of 716 Old 01-27-2007, 07:01 AM

Liked: 16
Good info. I too just had the channel lockup problem. I turned the set on, and tried to change from the first channel and it wouldn't budge. The on-screen channel display wouldn't go away either. I had to turn the set off. I waited for about 30-60 seconds before turning it back on...and before I did actually turn it back on I got the blue flashing.

My firmware is:

06.08d
04.11d
post #53 of 716 Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

Which panel do you have the 5070 or 1140 Elite series panel?

mine's 5070
post #54 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Keep us updated. It will be interesting to see if they even know about the firmware update.

I don't now what to say. I called my local service tech and he says he's never heard of the update. He claims he even called Pioneer to confirm. So, I get on the phone again to Pioneer Tech Support. This time, the tech says there is no firmware update for my plasma (5070HD). Three calls to Pioneer Tech Support and I get three different answers!!! First time, a tech says that I should disble the TV Guide and the problem should go away, the second time, another tech says there is a firmware update and this time a tech tells me that it's normal???

This person that I spoke to toady says that this blue flashing light is normal. That it's telling you that it has received a bad signal--via TV Guide--and doing its own diagnostics to reset the system. As long as you can turn the TV back on, it's normal he says. What do you think?
post #55 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I don't now what to say. I called my local service tech and he says he's never heard of the update. He claims he even called Pioneer to confirm. So, I get on the phone again to Pioneer Tech Support. This time, the tech says there is no firmware update for my plasma (5070HD). Three calls to Pioneer Tech Support and I get three different answers!!! First time, a tech says that I should disble the TV Guide and the problem should go away, the second time, another tech says there is a firmware update and this time a tech tells me that it's normal???

This person that I spoke to toady says that this blue flashing light is normal. That it's telling you that it has received a bad signal--via TV Guide--and doing its own diagnostics to reset the system. As long as you can turn the TV back on, it's normal he says. What do you think?

I think that is crap and they need to do something about it. The TV should be able to reset the TVGuide if it is choking without effecting the rest of the set, and powering it down. At least give the option to completely disable the guide so the set is not being powered down when it recieves a bad signal.
post #56 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hey all, hope you don't mind if I jump in. I purchased a 4270 about two weeks ago and although its not the specific model mentioned here its likely got most of the same guts.

I'm currently only using ANT A input for OTA HD only. No cable, no D*. About a week ago I had this exact same issue. The set had been on for about 5-6 hours (I was home sick that day, actually) and at some point the set just shut itself off and the blue light flashed a bunch of times. Unaware it might turn itself back on I pushed the power button (or maybe it was just coincidence) and it came back on. While I didn't notice anything having to do with video/audio/tuner was wrong, I immediately noted that the clock and guide info was a full hour behind. I checked to see if somehow the DST settings had gotten fubar'd but they were normal. So I took a shot and power cycled it and voila, the clock and program info was now correct. This would seem to be circumstantial evidence that the guide getting corrupted somehow does have something to do with this issue.

I haven't had this problem again, but I also haven't had the set on for that long since then either. I have seen this issue reported by other owners of the 4270, also so I don't think its specific to just the 5070/1140.

I sure hope a solution, or at least an explanation, eventually makes its way around. So far for me this minor issue certainly doesn't outweigh all the other truly fantastic features of this set.
post #57 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

I think that is crap and they need to do something about it. The TV should be able to reset the TVGuide if it is choking without effecting the rest of the set, and powering it down. At least give the option to completely disable the guide so the set is not being powered down when it recieves a bad signal.

I kinda agree with your statement. However, for someone using just OTA resetting the set may seem logical. When I called Pio last week they had me run a procedure to return the set to first turn-on status. After which I was able to set my clock (previously locked by the TV guide) and ignore the guide setup (don't remind me). So far things have been fine. However, I've never had my set just "turn-off" while watching.

My concern is reading other posts where users were quickly changing channels and the set freezing. This I would think is something a firmware update could fix.
post #58 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Liked: 16
Yes, I have wondered about the clock being off too. Mine is a little more than 2.5 hours off right now. It seems to be getting farther and farther off though. I will keep an eye on it.

The channel lockups have not gotten any better..It is almost a given that if I surf fastly, it will lock up. Seems to only happen on the "A" input. I have cable attached to B and can surf fast there with no problems.
post #59 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 07:17 PM

digitrip

are you able to pick up HD signals/broadcast with cable hooked up to the 'B' input?
post #60 of 716 Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM

Doug G
What is a 'power cycle' and how would I perform one on my set?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays