Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 711 Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NP and good luck. Just take your time and everything should work out. Oh yeah I've heard that you want to screw everything back in after replacing your board before you turn the unit on. I did just in case. Yes it would've sucked if I did something wrong and had to unscrew it all over again but better safe than sorry. Apparently there's a safety mechanism that will lock it if you turn it on while the back cover is exposed? I read it somewhere on a thread I think so I made sure I screwed everything back in when I powered my unit. Glad it worked out for me on the first try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 711 Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM

Wow what a mega thread this is expanding over 6 years eek.gif

I have a PRO-950HD since March 2007. I unfortunately joined the 12 blue light flashing club recently. I had the 12 light flashing after power went out for a few seconds then came back on. TV would come on say "Please Wait" then shut off with blue light flashing 12 times. Tried unplugging power cord from unit multiple times, waiting a few minutes to 1 hour. Nothing helped. Finally gave up and took it to a local Pioneer Authorized Service Center.

After they had it for 6 days they finally called said it was due to a "control circuit failure" and would need to order a "digital board". Parts and labor to fix is going to cost $315 (with labor being about $175 of it). Said it should take a week to get part in (unless it's back ordered). I'll let everyone know what happens in a week. Sucks that simple power outage causes $315 in damage. I also have my TV plugged into a surge protector...so I'm going to see about getting reimbursed for the cost to repair the TV from the surge protector guarantee.
post #633 of 711 Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post

NP and good luck. Just take your time and everything should work out. Oh yeah I've heard that you want to screw everything back in after replacing your board before you turn the unit on. I did just in case. Yes it would've sucked if I did something wrong and had to unscrew it all over again but better safe than sorry. Apparently there's a safety mechanism that will lock it if you turn it on while the back cover is exposed? I read it somewhere on a thread I think so I made sure I screwed everything back in when I powered my unit. Glad it worked out for me on the first try!

I can confirm that when I tried to replace my network board, I somehow didn't close the case back up "enough" so that it went in to the safety mode and had to be reset by a technician. They wouldn't use the part I ordered, so it took a while for them to order the same part (I returned mine) and come back to install it.
post #634 of 711 Old 03-08-2013, 10:47 PM

Hello All,

I'm in need of some serious help. I've had my 5070 for going on 6+ years. Worked great up until the middle of last year. I've always had the same setup:

TWC DVR - hdmi to the receiver
DVD - hdmi to the receiver
XBox - hdmi to the receiver

Receiver - hdmi to the tv

Trying to cut my ties with the cable company (TWC), I borrowed my father-in-law's tuner (analog/digital converter) & bought an antenna. Connected to antenna A to test, no dice, connected it to antenna B, no dice. So tried connected the output of the tuner via audio/video cables to the receiver. At this point was able to get OTA through the receiver & display on the TV.

Unfortunately the heavy television watchers in the house wasn't too excited about "free" TV because there wasn't a record feature. So I ditched the idea of OTA & unplugged everything. Everything worked fine after that for about a good two or three weeks & then BAM!!

12 UGLY BLINKING BLUE LIGHTS!!!

So after reading a few things on the net including this thread, I was able to get it working after unplugging all my connections for a day.
Then after few weeks it got the lights again. Then this unplugging & plugging routine went on for several months. Now it been a week & no TV.

I've tried calling Pioneer & those guys are just a little on the slow side or something. I've read this forum & ask the rep on the phone about firmware updates, resetting it to factory, just different things. All I got back was "sorry sir, you're going to need to call a tech out to fix it". I know some of the things that people have tried to get there units working on this forum have worked for some & not others. I asked for factory resetting steps, reply "call a tech", is there firm.. before i finished talking "call a tech".

The menu doesn't let me go into the tuner settings.

If someone can point me in the right direction or give me the instructions on how to reset this thing to see if that would work, that would be great. Or any other suggestions would be greatly accepted.

Ohioboy
post #635 of 711 Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM

I have read this entire thread. I have been following it for a long time. I used to have the 12 blinks, until the digital switchover. I don't know why that made it go away, but since digital, I have had it one or two times. I used to get it once or twice a week.
The factory reset procedures are in this thread. If you have the patience, click through them. I would start at the end and work backwards. I am pretty sure it is more towards the end.
Sorry, but I do not have the patience to go through it for you. But if I had the need, I most certainly would!
Good luck!
post #636 of 711 Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 11
You've tried this? Good luck.

With TV off/in standby....press home menu.
Within 3 seconds turn TV on , Integrated Menu will appear.
Hold Display button until Final Setup appears in the top menu.
Arrow left or right until yes appears in lower menu.
Hold enter until menu disappears.
Wait 1 minute.
Power TV off and unplug from the wall for 5 or more minutes.
scottiemon likes this.
post #637 of 711 Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM

After holding my TV hostage for almost a month, the local Pioneer repair shop called and told me it would require yet another part to fix it and it would be another $600 for part and labor (total surpassing $1,000). I gave up and picked it up still broken and went by and picked up a Samsung 43" Plasma for $400 @ local Best Buy. This is a PRO950 42" Plasma that worked perfectly fine up until one night when power went off for a minute then came back on (no storm or anything) which resulted in the flashing blue light 12 times.

However, I hate to just scrap this beast of a Plasma. I'm considering trying to fix it myself. Did anyone have luck just doing it yourself? My wife wants to just take it to Best Buy and recycle it eek.gif
post #638 of 711 Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM

I followed Garyalex67's instructions & then some, here's what happened.

With the tv off I pressed the "home menu",
then pressing the power button on the tv & got the 12 blinks.
With the tv in standby- w/red light displayed.
I pressed the home menu, press power button on remote to turn on the tv.
Solid blue light came on, w/ "starting up. please wait.".
Then the blue blinking light starts after a few minutes.
With the tv off, push power button on tv.
Solid blue light came on, w/ "starting up. please wait."
I pressed home menu, get menu, then press display &
it goes right back to solid blue light w/ "starting up. please wait."
Powering the tv on I got the solid blue light w/ "starting up. please wait."
From there I can press the home menu & its displayed. I tried holding down the "display"
button to see what would happen & I goes right back to solid blue light w/ "starting up. please wait."

~
Before posting my initial comments & to this very day one thing i noticed
still exist when the home menu is displayed.
these features are highlighted:
picture,sound,power control,sleep timer, & option.
I can adjust any of those featured items.

However the "tuner setup" & "home gallery" features are greyed out
& can not be adjusted. When i try to select those i get this message:
"current settings do not allow selection and adjustment".

It would be nice to actually get to the "Final Setup" option as (garyalex67) mentioned, but doesn't seem
I can. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm pretty tech savvy. Are those universal resetting instructions
for all pioneers or just the 5070/5071?

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or is all hope lost? I can still get the home menu on this unit, so maybe there is hope? "I don't know"…..

HELP
post #639 of 711 Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 AM

I have a Pioneer 5070 , but I cannot figure out the trick to get to the navigation bar in the TVGuide window. I can't arrow up to the navigation bar, and I can't find the service entrance in the left margin where the TVGuide icons are located.
Anybody know of a trick to enable me to get to the navigation bar?
I need to re-set my TV......

GW
post #640 of 711 Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Hello,
My apologies if there is an answer already in this (or another thread) but its hard to sift through all the posts for the relevant information. And this seemed to be the best place to post for this.

I am the owner of a PDP-5010FD which I bought right when it first came out, and it has survived with flawless performance until a recent power outage and the resulting power surge disabled it.
It powers on and displays a message about starting up but then it stops and I get the 12 blue light flashes.

Right now my tv is in the hands of a repair man (Blossom Hill TV of San Jose) who says he needs to replace the mainboard, which after my own searching I think he means the AWV2457 module. Now the problem he says is he can only find one through Pioneer but they are asking +$800.

So I guess my questions are first:

Is replacing the mainboard (AWV2457) a consistent solution with the 12 flashes?

I ask this since I saw some people managed to fix it with a factory reset. I'm assuming/guessing/hoping the repairman tried this already with no result, but I might check tomorrow to make sure.

And then if I do need to replace this part, anybody know where I can find one for less than $800?
Most of the sites that list it (but show it out of stock) have prices closer to $100-$200.

Thank you for any help
post #641 of 711 Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

There have been many solutions to this problem, from a factory reset, disabling the tv guide, and also a board like they are telling you. I had the 12 blinks, and I shut off the tv guide, and I would still get it around two or three times a month. The problem went away almost completely with the transition to digital a couple years ago. I have had my set for approximately 6 1/2 years now.
For what it is worth, I love my set, and I think it was the best set for the money at the time (3K!). I recently got a 47" LG LED set for the bedroom for about $1100. The picture is just as nice as my Pio. If my Pio dies, and I hope it does not, I will not sink one dime into it. Let's just say you put the money into a new board, and two months later the power supply dies?
It might be time to give it a hug, and thank it for the service it gave to you.
Regardless, good luck to you. It is quite sad that Pio left this business.
post #642 of 711 Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post

There have been many solutions to this problem, from a factory reset, disabling the tv guide, and also a board like they are telling you. I had the 12 blinks, and I shut off the tv guide, and I would still get it around two or three times a month. The problem went away almost completely with the transition to digital a couple years ago. I have had my set for approximately 6 1/2 years now.
For what it is worth, I love my set, and I think it was the best set for the money at the time (3K!). I recently got a 47" LG LED set for the bedroom for about $1100. The picture is just as nice as my Pio. If my Pio dies, and I hope it does not, I will not sink one dime into it. Let's just say you put the money into a new board, and two months later the power supply dies?
It might be time to give it a hug, and thank it for the service it gave to you.
Regardless, good luck to you. It is quite sad that Pio left this business.

Agreed. We have had our 4270 for 7 years. It seems to have the flashing blue light problem but the impact is only minimal. I frequently find the blue light flashing when it is off, but turning it on seems to resolve things. In those 7 years I can count on two hands the times that it has shut down while watching it. This only seems to happen in the daytime and the TV is typically only in use in the evening. When it dies it will be replaced, not fixed, and although it will be tough to equal its picture quality, the replacement will be less expensive and have a lot of additional features.
scottiemon likes this.

Paul
post #643 of 711 Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

I thought I would report back that my problem seems to be fixed.
I got my TV back from the repairman after we were both unsuccessful in finding a replacement mainboard. Well believe it or not, as I was about to try doing a factory reset my PDP-5010fd just started up as if nothing was ever wrong. It seems to be working perfectly fine now, but for how long is the big question now. I'm not sure how this could have happened though, guess I'll just have to chalk it up to the ghost in the machine.
post #644 of 711 Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 PM

That is great news.
post #645 of 711 Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
Fixed my "Blue light blinking 12 times" problem! With gratitude to all those who have posted helpful information, I'm happy to report that the factory reset procedure posted in this thread several times, has fixed my PDP-5010 FD shut down problem.

Details: After six years of faithful service my Pioneer Kuro took up the annoying habit of shutting itself off after a random time between 2 and 40 minutes. This happened in standby mode or during operation. The blue LED would blink 12 times. A single click of the remote's power button would restore it until the next time. After reviewing this thread, I tried setting the Zipcode to 00000. No help. I tried a very long power off. No help. I tried the "factory reset". Success. After a full week, no shut downs. this is fantastic becasue the service options are virtually nonexistent.

Thanks to all those who posted info. I recommend this procedure for "Pioneer plasma 12 blinking blue lights" sufferers.

At the risk of cluttering up this thread, I am posting the procedure here:
Wait 1 minute.
tmdement likes this.
post #646 of 711 Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Can anyone confirm if the above procedure for a factory reset works on the 6010FD as well? Do you just press and release home menu button on remote and then press power button on remote to get to integrated menu? I can't seem to get this far no matter what I try.

I've got the 12 blinking lights and can't get passed the starting up screen. TV shuts off in about 30 seconds. Also, if anyone has the service manual for this model and would be willing to send it to me please PM me. Thanks!
post #647 of 711 Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Can anyone confirm if the above procedure for a factory reset works on the 6010FD as well? Do you just press and release home menu button on remote and then press power button on remote to get to integrated menu? I can't seem to get this far no matter what I try.

I've got the 12 blinking lights and can't get passed the starting up screen. TV shuts off in about 30 seconds. Also, if anyone has the service manual for this model and would be willing to send it to me please PM me. Thanks!

If anyone has any answers to this question, I would also appreciate it. My 6010 also just got fried after 6 years of usage--12 blinking lights and TV shutting off when it comes back on. This TV made it through Hurricane Sandy and other blackouts, and there may have been a small power outage today that did it in. For some reason, the Home Menu reset method does not seem to work on the 6010. I can't make any headway with this, and would hate to lose this TV. Thanks again.

EDIT: Left my TV unplugged for a couple of hours, and it is back on and fine. Hopefully this holds, and I'm in the clear.
post #648 of 711 Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
After reading numerous threads and talking to service reps, I'm going to try to fix my 6010fd plasma. It starts with the 8 blue blinking lights and does not turn on, then a reset gets 12 blinking lights and no turn on. The first time it happened this summer with a power outage, it came back on after a week of being unplugged. This time there must have been a power fluctuation during the day that caused it to go off and on. It hasn't been on since. I've replaced the set with a 65ZT60 Panasonic plasma, but I'd like to revive the TV for garage use. Hate to spend the $800 plus cost for a main board that Pioneer website wants to charge. Every other parts dealer, including shopjimmy.com shows that part being sold out (AWV2457). This is most likely the part I need, but I would hate to spend full price if it doesn't work. Does anyone know of a place that has the AWV2457 in stock? Thanks
post #649 of 711 Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just about to send you a link to this place as I just picked up one myself last week but I see they're out of stock again already (hmm, seems to be a rash of these failures all around the same time when you consider mine, yours, htwaits etc.).  I have a similar issue with my 6010FD (opted for the low cost 60ST60 just to get me by until 4k is affordable) but figured I would try to fix mine as well since I got notified from this store the part was in stock (of course it was the day after my new panny shipped).  If I were you, I'd sign up for the e-mail notification as that's how I found one.  The other thing that is interesting is their stock coincided almost to the day of when Pioneer had their stock become available again (albeit for the +$800 cost you referenced).  If this board doesn't fix my set then I'll let you know in case you want to try it in your TV.  All indications are that this is the fix though so I'm expecting it to work (fingers crossed).

post #650 of 711 Old 11-11-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I was just about to send you a link to this place as I just picked up one myself last week but I see they're out of stock again already (hmm, seems to be a rash of these failures all around the same time when you consider mine, yours, htwaits etc.).  I have a similar issue with my 6010FD (opted for the low cost 60ST60 just to get me by until 4k is affordable) but figured I would try to fix mine as well since I got notified from this store the part was in stock (of course it was the day after my new panny shipped).  If I were you, I'd sign up for the e-mail notification as that's how I found one.  The other thing that is interesting is their stock coincided almost to the day of when Pioneer had their stock become available again (albeit for the +$800 cost you referenced).  If this board doesn't fix my set then I'll let you know in case you want to try it in your TV.  All indications are that this is the fix though so I'm expecting it to work (fingers crossed).

jkansanic: Thanks for the reply. I signed up a couple of weeks ago with shopjimmy.com to let me know when the part comes in. I'll use your link as a source, too. I'll be curious to know how easy it is to install. From what I read, it's just a lot of screws on the back to take off. Hope it works for you, too. Thanks again.
post #651 of 711 Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I started taking out the screws one day and the charge on my cordless (albeit an old nicad model) didn't make it halfway through removing the panel!  I gave up for a couple days and then got the notice the part was in stock at the place I linked to in my previous post.  WRT to ShopJimmy, I called them first as I've bought from them in the past and the customer service rep told me they haven't been in stock for well over a year and that usually means they won't be getting anymore.  I signed up on about 6 or 7 different sites after I missed out on an E-bay auction that went for about 50% more than what I paid.

I'll definitely keep you posted on the swap and whether or not it works for me.

post #652 of 711 Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM

As with a few others, my 50" Pioneer went belly up with 12 blinking blue lights - again. This time letting it sit unplugged for a day or two didn't make it come magically to life, so I hit CNET and pulled the trigger on a Panasonic 50S60 as the ST60 has too much input lag for the primary use of this panel (Xbox). After a SNAFU with Sears online ordering and in-store pickup, they gave me free delivery and free removal of my old panel, so they took my Pioneer away last week. :-( I was very sad to see it go, after only 6 years of life (actually 5 1/2 of active use in my house, it was manufactured in October of 2007 but I bought it in June 08). Actually, I think the wife was even sadder than I, as she loved the picture on that thing.

I had been reading the rumors (facts?) that Panasonic isn't going to be making plasma panels next year, so I really didn't want to miss the x60 generation if it will be the last.

After adjustment, the S60 picture is close to the Pio, but amazingly still not quite as good as that 6 year old tech. Since I got the new panel for $699, spending even half that on repair of the old set just didn't seem right.

I shall continue to subscribe to this thread, and will shed a tear as I see each solder fall. If only Pioneer put as much in to reliability as they did in to picture quality.

Good luck all!

Tom
post #653 of 711 Old 11-25-2013, 09:03 AM

I got 8 blinks blue light problem on my Pioneer PDP-5010FD TV. It stayed in black screen; sometimes it tried to start up with msg "Starting Up. Please Wait" on screen but then back to black screen with the 8 blue light blinks. I found a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZNAv0m5f7M) mentioning similar issue and wanted to give it a try. I opened the back panel, but too bad I didn't know we had to tap down the "trap switch" and plugged in the power frown.gif. The TV is now LOCKED with both solid red and blue light on all time frown.gif.

I tried to follow steps from this (http://www.ehow.com/how_7909829_reset-pioneer-plasma-safety-switch.html) to have the trap switch reset, but it didn't work on mine (maybe b/c the TV couldn't turn on with the first 8 blue light blinks issue at the first place). There is another option to reset the trap switch via RS-232C command "CTM" with HyperTerminal, but I have no clue how to connect it with PC. I did try with a NULL cable, but got no successful in the HyperTerminal connection (didn't show anything on the HyperTerminal window after connection).

I am wondering if anyone in the board has experience of how to solve my situation (reset the trap switch at least). I will greatly appreciate if you can provide some help. Thanks in advance.

A note to all who plans to open the back panel of your Pioneer TV. Don't plug in the power cord with your panel opened and the "Trap Switch" NOT tapped down!!! I heard most Pioneer TV have this trap present to avoid DIY/unprofessional person to mess around in the back.
post #654 of 711 Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Thank you SO much for posting that sequence to get into the service data reset screen.  I was about to toss my Kuro until I tried this.  my 12 blinking lights of death are solved!!!!

post #655 of 711 Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM

I did the reset that was recommended above and it fixed my PDP-5010FD.  I had 12 blinking lights before auto shutoff.  This solved it.  I was about to toss my Kuro until I finally found this.  4 hours in and all is well again!

Wait 1 minute.

post #656 of 711 Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdement View Post

I did the reset that was recommended above and it fixed my PDP-5010FD.  I had 12 blinking lights before auto shutoff.  This solved it.  I was about to toss my Kuro until I finally found this.  4 hours in and all is well again!

Wait 1 minute.

Thanks tmdement,

I have a quick question for you… I too have the 12 blinking lights of death.

I went through the steps you have listed here, but after changing the option from No to Yes, I am holding the enter button down but when I do it goes to a different message screen. Am I supposed to hold the enter button down until the entire screen goes black or just long enough to get out of the screen where I chose Yes? (it goes to a message that says to turn off the tv)

The reason I ask is after turning off the tv and unplugging in the last step and waiting for 5 minutes the problem comes back. I'm close enough that I want to make sure that I am not doing something wrong in this procedure. I'm so close that I can taste it !!

Thanks for your help.
post #657 of 711 Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 AM

Siskiyous - i held the button on the last step for maybe a few seconds. There was then an instruction to power off the TV. I did that and then unplugged. So far no more issues.

If it is not working for you, I am wondering if you may actually have a true issue with a hardware component. Also, while this thread is for the 5070 Pioneer sets, mine is a 5010. I picked up this thread in Google and see that this has been an issue with many different Pioneer TVs; however, the causes to the 12 lights seem to vary in each series. I am starting to think that my problem was caused by some kind of surge.
post #658 of 711 Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmdement View Post

Siskiyous - i held the button on the last step for maybe a few seconds. There was then an instruction to power off the TV. I did that and then unplugged. So far no more issues.

If it is not working for you, I am wondering if you may actually have a true issue with a hardware component. Also, while this thread is for the 5070 Pioneer sets, mine is a 5010. I picked up this thread in Google and see that this has been an issue with many different Pioneer TVs; however, the causes to the 12 lights seem to vary in each series. I am starting to think that my problem was caused by some kind of surge.

Tmdement - Thanks for the feedback. Well, the good news is we both have the same set as I have a 6010. You may be right that mine finally gave up the ghost. I had this happen once before and it finally came back to life after being powered off for several hours. I will try again to see if it works… however, I have ordered a new 65vt60 set, so in the long run I will be fine. Just hoping to breathe life back into a great set.

Thanks again.
post #659 of 711 Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Well folks… after using the reset method listed above and leaving it powered off for about a day and a half…. my 6010 is working once again:roll eyes:

Now, imagine me trying to explain to my wife why the new 65vt60 is being delivered tomorrow biggrin.gif

I guess the good news is a very good TV lives on… probably at the home of one of my kids however!!!

Thanks again to tmdement and those before him for posting the "FIX" here in the forum.
post #660 of 711 Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I started taking out the screws one day and the charge on my cordless (albeit an old nicad model) didn't make it halfway through removing the panel!  I gave up for a couple days and then got the notice the part was in stock at the place I linked to in my previous post.  WRT to ShopJimmy, I called them first as I've bought from them in the past and the customer service rep told me they haven't been in stock for well over a year and that usually means they won't be getting anymore.  I signed up on about 6 or 7 different sites after I missed out on an E-bay auction that went for about 50% more than what I paid.

I'll definitely keep you posted on the swap and whether or not it works for me.

jkasanic:

Did you ever get this board to work? I'm still trying to find an online retailer that has it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page