Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #691 of 716 Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post

Hi Mr Bob,
Do you by chance repair the AWW1353 board on 111FD's ?
Mine just shut down & apparently there are no replacement boards to be found.

Sorry, can't help ya. I would have to replace the board too. As mentioned by others, I can only repeat that post 686 above is probably your best bet.

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 716 Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerdoc View Post

There is a dealer on eBay who has recently started offering a repair service for the AWV2457. It appears you remove the board, send it to him, and for $65 he repairs it and sends it back to you. I have a PDP-5020FD with the 8 blue blinking lights and may pursue this. Does this repair apply to my Pioneer model, and has anyone else had any experience with this? Here is a link to the eBay site:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Service-Pioneer-Main-PCB-PDP-4280HD-KUCXC-PDP-5010FD-AWV2457-AWV2455-/111258022980?pt=US_TV_Boards_Parts_Components&hash=item19e77eb444

I don't know if any of this will apply to your kuro as it is a 9G model. I looked in my 8G service manual and 8 blue blinking lights indicates a power supply failure. If your kuro starts up but stays at the plasma is starting up screen and if you can get the menu to show up by hitting the menu button on the remote, indicates that the power supply is fine but the main board has failed. If your kuro won't start up then you may have a power supply problem. I do know that any issue with the main assembly board on a 8G model, Pioneer recommends changing the board as it can not be repaired. They don't even want the board back for a core charge. The 9Gs did not have the TV Guide On Screen feature embedded in them so you will not have that problem.

I do believe that this ebay guy is charging people to unlock your Kuro if you try to power it up while the back cover is removed. I have the procedure in the service manual and will post the procedure for free if needed.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #693 of 716 Old 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I don't know if any of this will apply to your kuro as it is a 9G model. I looked in my 8G service manual and 8 blue blinking lights indicates a power supply failure. If your kuro starts up but stays at the plasma is starting up screen and if you can get the menu to show up by hitting the menu button on the remote, indicates that the power supply is fine but the main board has failed. If your kuro won't start up then you may have a power supply problem. I do know that any issue with the main assembly board on a 8G model, Pioneer recommends changing the board as it can not be repaired. They don't even want the board back for a core charge. The 9Gs did not have the TV Guide On Screen feature embedded in them so you will not have that problem.

I do believe that this ebay guy is charging people to unlock your Kuro if you try to power it up while the back cover is removed. I have the procedure in the service manual and will post the procedure for free if needed.
Hi Jed1,
I too have 5020fd which is giving this 8-times blue light flash (sometime tv powers up - especially when it was unplugged for couple days before trying again). Would really appreciate if you can post any procedure to help recover from this issue.

Thanks in advance,
nk2006
post #694 of 716 Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk2006 View Post

Hi Jed1,
I too have 5020fd which is giving this 8-times blue light flash (sometime tv powers up - especially when it was unplugged for couple days before trying again). Would really appreciate if you can post any procedure to help recover from this issue.

Thanks in advance,
nk2006

You might be better suited to ask for help in the 9G Kuro thread as this thread is for 8G Kuros. If your display will not power on at all then it possibly might need a new power supply. Maybe some one in the 9G thread can set you up with a 9G service manual or give you some advice.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1053444/the-official-pioneer-9g-kuro-settings-issues-thread

I have two 5010 models which are 8th Generation Kuros and you have a 5020 which is a 9th Generation Kuro. It is possible that the trouble codes are different between the two generation displays. Here is the parts list from Pioneer for the 5020.
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=PDP5020FD
I can tell by looking at the list that none of the part numbers match the 8G models.

post #695 of 716 Old 04-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Liked: 11
Jed1-- I read your post and it I have a quick question. I bought a MINT CONDITION Pro 150 Elite Kuro, but I am missing the Original Owners Manual for it. Do you have an extra "Original Owners Manual" I could buy from you for my Pioneer? Do you have any idea where I can find one? vs. Using the PDF download which I don't much care for? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Herman8or~
post #696 of 716 Old 04-22-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman8or View Post

Jed1-- I read your post and it I have a quick question. I bought a MINT CONDITION Pro 150 Elite Kuro, but I am missing the Original Owners Manual for it. Do you have an extra "Original Owners Manual" I could buy from you for my Pioneer? Do you have any idea where I can find one? vs. Using the PDF download which I don't much care for? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Herman8or~

Not trying to be smart but have you considered just printing the PDF and putting it into a binder?  I'm sure hard copies of that manual are fairly scarce at this point and seems a little foolish to pay a premium.  I actually prefer the digital copy so I can do a quick ctrl+f in Adobe Reader to find what I'm looking for.

post #697 of 716 Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman8or View Post

Herman8or~

I'm sorry but I can not help you. The only place I would think you can find a manual would be on ebay but I assume you tried looking there already. There is nothing in the parts lists for manuals:
http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=PRO%2D150FD

Of course Pioneer has the electronic download for the manual and brochure:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/477213988PRO150FDOperatingInstructions0807.pdf
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/477134713PRO-150FD.pdf

I have the boxes and packing from my two Kuros just in case I have to transport them if I move.

post #698 of 716 Old 06-01-2014, 07:42 AM

I changed out the hdmi cord from the cable box Fios to the tv problem went away.  Seems like the old cord was going bad. I saw 8 flashing blue lights and bits of the pictures on the screen.  I can be reached at keenanmccarty@yahoo.com

post #699 of 716 Old 06-01-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
HDMI cables have 19 twisted pair paths in them, so there's a lot that can go wrong. I didn't know they could cause an 8 blinks report, tho. Can they really? Did the 8 blinks go away when you replaced the cord?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #700 of 716 Old 06-25-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I can gleefully report that the main board swap was a HUGE SUCESS!!!!!! The process took almost four hours as I removed the screws by hand. I placed the TV on a blanket on the end of the bed. I used the stand that was right behind me to place the screws in perfect order for easier replacement. I removed the upper and lower frame bracket the partially covers the main board as this made easy access to all the wiring.
The only annoyances I had was the bed was a little to low to stand and a little to high to kneel so my lower back got sore. Also the phone rang while I was removing the Tanshi lead from the board. I broke off the one edge of the plug as I got startled when the phone rang. It was the Republican Party spewing more worthless propaganda and asking for money. I was lucky as it did not damage the integrity of the plug. It just made removal a little longer as I had to get some of my fine jewelers tools to help pry up the on side of the plug.

Some advice to anybody who wants to try this is to take your time. Use a new Phillips screw driver as the screws are small.
Lay out the screws on a table in the sequence you remove them as there is a lot of then and three different kinds.
Take the time to remove the upper and lower frame bracket that partially covers the main board as this gives you full access to remove the plugs.
Turn off the phone as you do not want your concentration broken in the middle of a delicate operation.
Be careful of the wires and plugs as they are brittle from age and heat. Do not bend them back from the board as they are stiff. All the plugs are just friction fitted but they may be hard to remove from age. I had a difficult time with the plug going to the fan as it was stuck on the board. I wiggled it side to side and it slowly worked free.
The ribbon cables are the easiest as you just lift up on the hinged brown piece of the connector and they slide right out. In no way pull up on the Tanshi plug as it is short and is soldered to the Tanshi board. If you break off the Tanshi cable you will have to replace the Tanshi board. Once the Tanshi plug is free do not bend it out of your way just pull the board out from underneath it when you get the board lose.
Make note on paper of how many wires you disconnect from the board as you do not want to forget to plug them back into the new board. I rechecked three times and I discovered I missed one small one at the top of the board.
If something is giving you a hard time removing double check to see if you missed a screw as the rear panel comes right off with ease if all the screws are removed. The same with the other parts.
I am a machinist and had extensive blue print reading so removal and reinstallation was easy for me. If you have no mechanical abilities I would suggest having a service technician do this. Some of the things will break easily if slightly forced.
Do not plug in the TV with the rear panel removed as there is a safety switch on the back and will lock out the TV if tripped.
I shut off the main switch on the bottom left side of the TV and then unplugged it over night as to make sure all residual power was dissipated from the TV.

When I turned on the TV it only took a few seconds until the antenna input was showing. All my User settings were set back to factory defaults. I did not even bother with the TV Guide feature as it did not show up when I powered up the TV. I had a huge sense of relief when I turned on the TV. I was worried because the price I paid for the board. Cost was $838.11 according to the packing slip.
An indicator that your main board is failing is the TV will be slow when switching inputs. It may even hang up and even lose the picture on that input. You can turn the TV on and off but if you lose or remove power it probably will not power up again. The TV will display the starting up message and then after a minute or two it will shut down and show the 12 blinking blue lights. The menu of the TV will work will powered up but if you push any buttons related to inputs or channel changing the TV is starting up message will appear again.

I figured that this was the most economical way to go since the type of 50 inch TV in the $800 to $900 range would be a big step down from this TV. The only plasma in this size is the 51 inch F8500 Samsung and it is $1800 before taxes and shipping. Also this news broke about Samsung plasmas this afternoon:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1395062567
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1395392640
I really do not want 3D, 4K, Smart TVs, or curved screens so doing this repair made a lot of sense to me as I learned my lesson from the format war. I will let some one else take the loss on these gimmicks. Hopefully OLED will be reasonably priced and main stream by the time these Kuros are finished for good.
Well, I'm sorry to report that my 6010FD is yet again exhibiting the 12 blinking lights. This time, there were storms in the area and it failed on power up (last time my wife was watching tv with no signs of inclement weather and it just shut down). I had replaced my original board back in mid January with a refurbished board that I picked up for about $100. It was working great until last night. TV powered up and gave the starting up screen and then went dark with 8 blinks. I powered up again and it did the same thing but then went to 12 blinks. I immediately unplugged it and haven't tried plugging it back in yet. I'm so disgusted right now...
post #701 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Well, I'm sorry to report that my 6010FD is yet again exhibiting the 12 blinking lights. This time, there were storms in the area and it failed on power up (last time my wife was watching tv with no signs of inclement weather and it just shut down). I had replaced my original board back in mid January with a refurbished board that I picked up for about $100. It was working great until last night. TV powered up and gave the starting up screen and then went dark with 8 blinks. I powered up again and it did the same thing but then went to 12 blinks. I immediately unplugged it and haven't tried plugging it back in yet. I'm so disgusted right now...
Really sorry to read this news man.

It's moot atm i know - but investing in some efficient surge protection may be an idea if you get the Pioneer going again. The lower amperage the better.

If it's not storms causing surges on this occasion could it be something from the power supply in your home ?, or maybe something else plugged in somewhere in the house causing surges?

In the UK we have fused plugs which has saved many components (as long as the fuse rating is low enough to break the surge though) or it's pointless otherwise as the surging/damage has already been done. But i use various conditioners anyway nothing gets plugged into the wall - US plugs are meant to be able to take a 15AMP surge. But that's a lot of damage done before it breaks the circuit off. But anyway the power grids are terrible here in the UK in general - dirty contaminated surging electricity that fluctuates greatly. I use an industrial grade transformer/conditioner nowadays that runs a steady 115/120V or something now from the usual 230V (or so it says) here. Engineers have recorded surges away up at 290 or something ridiculous depending on the time of day.
post #702 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
Really sorry to read this news man.

It's moot atm i know - but investing in some efficient surge protection may be an idea if you get the Pioneer going again. The lower amperage the better.

If it's not storms causing surges on this occasion could it be something from the power supply in your home ?, or maybe something else plugged in somewhere in the house causing surges?

In the UK we have fused plugs which has saved many components (as long as the fuse rating is low enough to break the surge though) or it's pointless otherwise as the surging/damage has already been done. But i use various conditioners anyway nothing gets plugged into the wall - US plugs are meant to be able to take a 15AMP surge. But that's a lot of damage done before it breaks the circuit off. But anyway the power grids are terrible here in the UK in general - dirty contaminated surging electricity that fluctuates greatly. I use an industrial grade transformer/conditioner nowadays that runs a steady 115/120V or something now from the usual 230V (or so it says) here. Engineers have recorded surges away up at 290 or something ridiculous depending on the time of day.
Stu, thanks for the condolences. I'm also concerned the issue is from the power coming into my house. HST, I do have a Cyberpower UPS with AVR as well as a Monster power conditioner (HTS 5100) attached to the TV?!
post #703 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Stu, thanks for the condolences. I'm also concerned the issue is from the power coming into my house. HST, I do have a Cyberpower UPS with AVR as well as a Monster power conditioner (HTS 5100) attached to the TV?!
jkasanic:

That's when my TV went out the first time. I had surge protection, but no power backup. I was hoping the power backup would alleviate the off/on surges associated with a storm. Was the power off long enough to drain the backup UPS battery?

Last edited by markjl; 06-27-2014 at 09:21 AM.
post #704 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
jkasanic:

That's when my TV went out the first time. I had surge protection, but no power backup. I was hoping the power backup would alleviate the off/on surges associated with a storm. Was the power off long enough to drain the backup UPS battery?
When I was researching battery backup alternatives, I was advised that a plasma tv should never be on the battery backup but rather just on the surge suppression side of the UPS. The reality is that the consumption rate of the plasma would require a significantly larger UPS for very little return. The fact that storms were in the area could be a red herring as the tv was not even powered on.

I should also note that I'm back to 8 blinking blue lights. When my tv failed the first time, it returned 8 blue lights that turned into 12. This time, I witnessed 8 lights that also turned to 12 but removing the power cord and plugging it back in 24 hrs later is now returning 8 blinking lights. I've been so depressed over this that I haven't even taken the time to research the difference as I've since forgotten it.
post #705 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's weird indeed also here. Although surges can still get through unless the mains cable is completely unplugged.

Perhaps some replacement fast/quick blow fuses would be an idea... Big enough amperage to feed the equipment taking into account mains draw on power up but small enough to break in time should there be a surge

:edit:

Last edited by Stu03; 06-27-2014 at 09:34 AM.
post #706 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
When I was researching battery backup alternatives, I was advised that a plasma tv should never be on the battery backup but rather just on the surge suppression side of the UPS. The reality is that the consumption rate of the plasma would require a significantly larger UPS for very little return. The fact that storms were in the area could be a red herring as the tv was not even powered on.
My TV was also off during the storm. It was still plugged in which means it still has power coming in for standby. Apparently the surge is enough to send the TV into continuous protection mode. Or we could just be barking up the wrong tree like you said. But there does seem to be a consistency with power surges and the blue death blink in this thread. And maybe it's not the surge, but the quick on/off power fluctuations. Either way it's a damn sensitive TV.

Last edited by markjl; 06-27-2014 at 09:36 AM.
post #707 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu03 View Post
That's weird indeed also here. Although surges can still get through unless the mains cable is completely unplugged.

Perhaps some replacement fast/quick blow fuses would be an idea... Big enough amperage to feed the equipment taking into account mains draw on power up but small enough to break in time should there be a surge

:edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl View Post
My TV was also off during the storm. It was still plugged in which means it still has power coming in for standby. Apparently the surge is enough to send the TV into continuous protection mode. Or we could just be barking up the wrong tree like you said. But there does seem to be a consistency with power surges and the blue death blink in this thread. And maybe it's not the surge, but the quick on/off power fluctuations. Either way it's a damn sensitive TV.
Well, isn't that the point of the surge protector as well as the power conditioner? Funny part is this TV was just plugged into the wall (different outlet in house) for 7 years with no issue. I've had two TV's go (3 if you count the Kuro twice) on a circuit in a different area of the house. I've had an electrician out and everything checks ok but that's like taking your tv to the repair man to fix an intermittent problem. The electrician is only going to see an issue when there's a spike...
post #708 of 716 Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Reckon some internal replacement fast blow fuses in the power conditioning would be the way forward until the cause is known. Is it possible the fuses and back up fuses in the conditioning units have already gone ?
post #709 of 716 Old 06-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know one of the symptoms that the TV had before I got the 12 blinking blue lights is it was very sluggish when I tried to change inputs on the TV. Especially the TV tuner inputs. When I removed power to the TV and powered it back up I could not get past the Plasma is starting up message and then after a minute or two the TV would shut down and get the 12 blinks.
My downstairs Kuro was getting sluggish so I hooked up my cable feed to both inputs A and B and when I came downstairs the next morning the light was blinking 12 times. MY stomach dropped to the floor but I was relieved when it powered up. I went into the guide and set the zip code to all zeros and I have no problems with the TV and the inputs are no longer sluggish.

The problem I am having with the upstairs Kuro that I replaced the mainboard is my UPS keeps kicking off but this started after I got the spring update to my TiVo at the end of April. I had no issues up to that point in time since I changes the Main board. I even replaced the battery and still have the issue. Hopefully this may stop after I get the summer update. For the time being I moved the TiVo to the non battery side of the UPS. I have the same UPS, TV, TiVo, Receiver, and Blu ray player hooked to the UPS downstairs and don't have any issues. I had the power go out this week from a thunderstorm and the downstairs UPS handled the power lose with out incident.

I do remember reading in the Pioneer service manual that no matter what issue occurs with the main assembly board they recommend that the board be replaced even if it can be repaired.

post #710 of 716 Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
I know one of the symptoms that the TV had before I got the 12 blinking blue lights is it was very sluggish when I tried to change inputs on the TV. Especially the TV tuner inputs. When I removed power to the TV and powered it back up I could not get past the Plasma is starting up message and then after a minute or two the TV would shut down and get the 12 blinks.
My downstairs Kuro was getting sluggish so I hooked up my cable feed to both inputs A and B and when I came downstairs the next morning the light was blinking 12 times. MY stomach dropped to the floor but I was relieved when it powered up. I went into the guide and set the zip code to all zeros and I have no problems with the TV and the inputs are no longer sluggish.
I believe the TV guide issue and my current issue are unrelated even though both issues exhibit the same 12 blinking light phenomenon. I'm planning to dig more into my issue AGAIN now that the initial shock has worn off. I'll keep the thread updated with any news to report.
Stu03 likes this.
post #711 of 716 Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 AM

I just got the 12 blinking lights and the "starting up please wait" message also!!! Subscribing for potential help!

-B
post #712 of 716 Old 10-01-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Elite PRO1150HD. I have had the 8 blue blinks and 12 blue blinks.

I have replaced the main board and now it only blinks with 12 blue ones.

I can't get it to start, it does say please wait on the screen, then shuts down and then blinks 12 times.

Not sure what else to try now.
post #713 of 716 Old 10-01-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Where did you get your main board replacement? Do you know if the eeprom was rewritten? If not, this could be your issue. For what it's worth, there's a guy on E-Bay in the US that offers to rewrite it for you for around $70. This appears to work for several that have tried. I haven't sent him any of my boards but would consider trying it.
post #714 of 716 Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Where did you get your main board replacement? Do you know if the eeprom was rewritten? If not, this could be your issue. For what it's worth, there's a guy on E-Bay in the US that offers to rewrite it for you for around $70. This appears to work for several that have tried. I haven't sent him any of my boards but would consider trying it.
I got the main board from shopjimmy.com. I have no clue if the eeprom was rewrittem. The main board costed me $35 including shipping.

I did get the TV to boot, got the TVGuide screen, no image issues, then said to not remind me again. I then pushed the main menu and the image was all messed up. Texts were shifted and there were black lines through text. This only happened once, now I can't get this far.
post #715 of 716 Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinke View Post
I got the main board from shopjimmy.com. I have no clue if the eeprom was rewrittem. The main board costed me $35 including shipping.

I did get the TV to boot, got the TVGuide screen, no image issues, then said to not remind me again. I then pushed the main menu and the image was all messed up. Texts were shifted and there were black lines through text. This only happened once, now I can't get this far.
I would expect it to be a brand new (refurbished) board then. I haven't read up on issues with the 1150HD. I've got the 6010HD and the replacement boards are harder to find. As I mentioned a few posts above, the 12 blinking lights is related to a couple different issues. Since you were able to disable to the TV Guide option with this card, perhaps you just need to hard reset the TV again? Not sure about the steps as I could never get it to work with my tv. Good luck!
post #716 of 716 Old 10-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I would expect it to be a brand new (refurbished) board then. I haven't read up on issues with the 1150HD. I've got the 6010HD and the replacement boards are harder to find. As I mentioned a few posts above, the 12 blinking lights is related to a couple different issues. Since you were able to disable to the TV Guide option with this card, perhaps you just need to hard reset the TV again? Not sure about the steps as I could never get it to work with my tv. Good luck!
Can't do a hard reset unless I can get the TV to boot again.

We bought a new TV, a Vizio M55, but I do miss my Elite TV, even though it is only 720p. I will still try to work on the Elite and see if I can't get some life in still.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page