Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #781 of 800 Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownguy View Post
Thunderstorms Tuesday night overnight, lost power. Woke up Wednesday to flashing blue light again

I've left the TV unplugged for about 25 hours now, and will plug it in again soon.

This is AFTER I had already disabled the TV Guide feature in the system menu after a factory reset. So I don't know what the hell to do. I guess every time there's a power outage I'll be out of commission for 24 hours.

*grrrrrr*

Damn !
Same thing happened to me , with the same issue.
( man was I upset !! )

I decided to get a battery backup / surge protector.
Ordered from Newegg , got in a few days. ( during which TV was unplugged )

Plugged it in , TV came to life again. ( Happy Days !! )
Instructions say there is about 3 hrs. battery life.
In TV standby mode I think it should more like 8 hrs + .

I think this should be a good solution to our blue blink problem !!

BBB99 / Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 800 Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeCee View Post
Damn !
Same thing happened to me , with the same issue.
( man was I upset !! )

I decided to get a battery backup / surge protector.
Ordered from Newegg , got in a few days. ( during which TV was unplugged )

Plugged it in , TV came to life again. ( Happy Days !! )
Instructions say there is about 3 hrs. battery life.
In TV standby mode I think it should more like 8 hrs + .

I think this should be a good solution to our blue blink problem !!

BBB99 / Tapatalk
What UPS did you buy?
post #783 of 800 Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownguy View Post
What UPS did you buy?

APC BE425M

BBB99 / Tapatalk

post #784 of 800 Old 07-20-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeCee View Post
APC BE425M

BBB99 / Tapatalk
That UPS will do you fine until the power goes out while the TV is actually on. At that point you'll get just a few minutes of backup rather than the hours you'd get if the TV is in standby.

After a few more outages the TV won't come back to life for weeks or months. Then it won't come back at all without resetting the EEPROM or replacing the board. Whoever programmed the TV Guide feature's failure to cause the entire TV to fail is a ****** idiot. And they did it on multiple models over the course of a a few years. Just unbelievable.
post #785 of 800 Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craif Baggio, MC View Post
That UPS will do you fine until the power goes out while the TV is actually on. At that point you'll get just a few minutes of backup rather than the hours you'd get if the TV is in standby.

After a few more outages the TV won't come back to life for weeks or months. Then it won't come back at all without resetting the EEPROM or replacing the board. Whoever programmed the TV Guide feature's failure to cause the entire TV to fail is a ****** idiot. And they did it on multiple models over the course of a a few years. Just unbelievable.

Got the UPS to have the option of putting the TV in standby mode . ( during power failure )
Have no intention of watching TV while power is out.

Yes , I agree it should never have been programmed to fail in such a manner.
However am glad that if all else fails , have the option of sending out the main board for correction.

For now the Pioneer is alive and well and I am happy ! ( or should I say my son is - he is the one who uses it mainly. )

BBB99 / Tapatalk
post #786 of 800 Old 07-26-2017, 11:33 AM

MOTHER EFFIN thing is really starting to tick me off.

Bought the above mentioned UPS - not powerful enough to turn the TV on from a cold start. Okay, skip that.

Since I unplugged the TV to move it to the UPS, it wouldn't come back on. I waited 24 hours, nope.

I waited 30 hours, nope.

I waited 3 days, nope.

To hell with it. I removed the main board and I'm sending out to the eBay guy for reprogramming.

You can bet your ass I'll be unplugging and re-plugging this TV in a hundred times after that main board comes back to ensure that his repair holds. He offers a 60 day warranty on the work. We'll see.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
post #787 of 800 Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM

Repaired pcb came home yesterday. TV is now working perfectly, even after unplugging and plugging back in again.

I will continue to unplug and re-plug this TV in several times over the next month to ensure the repair holds.

Hopefully I'm past this nonsense now.
post #788 of 800 Old 08-07-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GqMagic View Post
I have a Kuro 151, if I mistakenly turn the TV off and try to rapidly turn it back on, I get 8 flashing blue lights. It would normally power up after a few minutes.
Tonight it would not, so I searched our trusty AVS database here and found this thread and post. I loaded new batteries into the original remote, had to search the Kuro Operating Manuel (kept in a convenient table tray with the remote) to find the Home Button! (its been so long since I used this remote).

Did Steps 1 & 2, didn't get to 3 and the picture is back.

Thanks AVS !!
Well all was well for a few months and then the 8 blinking lights returned. I resorted to unplugging the set for a day or two and that worked, it would come back on. When Game of Thrones started back I took the step of leaving it unplugged for a week between Sundays! Which worked well for the first 4 episodes as I would turn it on about 5pm in case of problems. Yesterday however I had to turn it on and off, unplug and plug for almost 30 minutes before it would stay on!

I notice when I turn it off under normal condtions a small click from blue light to red. When its giving the blinks there is a small click followed by a louder click. Even unplugging it and plugging it back in gives the louder click and goes immediately from red to blue blinking.

Has anyone had a Pioneer Tech come out? Approx Cost?
post #789 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 11:51 AM

I had the Pioneer recommended tech out. he said it could be a cheap fix about $200 or worse case about $800-$900.

Fortunately it was the cheaper one, $250 and 1 1/2 hour later back in business .

While I don't mind doing as much DIY as possible, I'm glad I called Pioneer.

There is a gazillion screws, let alone removing the chip without doing damage and then soldering the new chip into place.

Something I don't do on a regular enough basis to attempt in this case.
post #790 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I tried to have a tech come out, but everyone refused. I guess TV quality is low enough now that they have too much business. Nobody makes house calls in my region now, and I'm not transporting it to them.

Pioneer ELITE PRO-720HD | Pioneer PDP-5010FD | Sony XBR-55X850B | LG OLED55E6P
OPPO BDP-103 | OPPO UDP-203 | Toshiba HD-XA2
PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S
post #791 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I tried to have a tech come out, but everyone refused. I guess TV quality is low enough now that they have too much business. Nobody makes house calls in my region now, and I'm not transporting it to them.
I called Pioneer asking about the part that is discontinued and they gave me 4 authorized tech to call. The first and closest one I called was familiar with the blinking lights. He prefers dealing with someone who has an expensive set as he knows they won't mind a couple of hundred dollars for an original several thousand dollar set.

If you didn't call Pioneer for a tech in your area I'd do that.
post #792 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I called Pioneer asking about the part that is discontinued and they gave me 4 authorized tech to call. The first and closest one I called was familiar with the blinking lights. He prefers dealing with someone who has an expensive set as he knows they won't mind a couple of hundred dollars for an original several thousand dollar set.

If you didn't call Pioneer for a tech in your area I'd do that.
Yeah that's how I got the tech names. They were all ready to look at it, but only if I brought it in. I offered to pay them to pick it up and they declined. I bought a new TV, but kept it in case I could do it myself someday.

If I recall they would still come to the home above a certain size, but I forget what the cutoff was.. certainly more than my 50.

post #793 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
Yeah that's how I got the tech names. They were all ready to look at it, but only if I brought it in. I offered to pay them to pick it up and they declined. I bought a new TV, but kept it in case I could do it myself someday.

If I recall they would still come to the home above a certain size, but I forget what the cutoff was.. certainly more than my 50.
My tech said he it was easier to come and work on it than transport it and risk damage. That's just lazy on their part.
post #794 of 800 Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My tech said he it was easier to come and work on it than transport it and risk damage. That's just lazy on their part.
True story, one time years ago Pioneer did send a tech out for a different display. It was the dead of winter and my driveway is steep, so it's downhill to the garage. I looked out to see a man with only one leg (plus prosthetic) trying to come down my frozen driveway by himself, carrying all of his tools. I about lost it, just knew the dude was going to die on my driveway.

So anyways maybe this is just karma.

post #795 of 800 Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do I have the required steps right to fix my Pioneer?

I have a Pioneer PDP-5080HD which has the same symptoms as are described in many of the posts in this thread. The power went out to the house for a couple hours a month ago. Since then, the TV will not properly start up. It is connected to a Charter/Spectrum cable box by HDMI cable to HDMI port #4 on the RV. No matter what I do and no matter how long I've left it unplugged (hrs, days, or a week), it exhibits the same behavior.
  • The remote control does nothing initially. I have to use the power button on the TV to get the TV to do anything.
  • When I press this button, the TV red standby light comes on and stays on for maybe 30-45 seconds. At this point, there is a click from inside the TV and the blue "on" light begins to flash.
  • The blue light flashes in 8-blink sequences for about 30-45 seconds and then the screen displays something like, "Plasma Display starting up". If I press the buttons on the remote during this time, the only button that does anything is the "home menu" button which replaces the "Plasma Display starting up" message with a menu that has the top ~4 choices selectable. None of these is the option I need to manipulate the TV Guide.
  • After a few minutes, the display goes black and the blue "on" light begins flashing in 12 blink sequences with a few seconds between each 12 blink sequence. I've left it doing this for 24 hrs with no change in behavior.
  • I can never get the TV to be in an "off/in standby" state to even try the process of using the remote to perform a Factory Reset Procedure via the Integrator Menu.
With the above symptoms, is my only hope to send out the main board to Ebay seller "kcrownie" for him to weave his magic spells on for $70? Thanks for your help.

G'day,

Vinish
post #796 of 800 Old 09-04-2017, 04:48 PM

Well, I waited awhile in hopes of getting a response to my post (#795) but it would appear that there is not much activity in this thread. I went ahead and removed the main board, sent it to the Ebay repair shop, and for $70 plus the cost of my shipping it to them, they weaved their magic spells and fixed it. I installed it tonight and the TV (Pioneer PDP-5080HD) works like new.

I told the TV Guide to NEVER remind me but could not figure out how to both tell it to never remind me and to set the zip as 00000 so I just did the former. I hope that this will work.

If anyone knows of a way to both tell it to never remind me and to set the zip to 00000, please post in here.

G'day,

Vinish
post #797 of 800 Old 09-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
Well, I waited awhile in hopes of getting a response to my post (#795) but it would appear that there is not much activity in this thread. I went ahead and removed the main board, sent it to the Ebay repair shop, and for $70 plus the cost of my shipping it to them, they weaved their magic spells and fixed it. I installed it tonight and the TV (Pioneer PDP-5080HD) works like new.

I told the TV Guide to NEVER remind me but could not figure out how to both tell it to never remind me and to set the zip as 00000 so I just did the former. I hope that this will work.

If anyone knows of a way to both tell it to never remind me and to set the zip to 00000, please post in here.

G'day,

Vinish
Great job! You did your research and you fixed it!
post #798 of 800 Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This thread saved my bacon. My 10-year old Pioneer PDP-6010FD experienced the 12 flashing blue lights after a power outage. The set went dead after 20 minutes or so and the flashing lights appeared. I could turn it back on, but the same thing recurred over and over. The flashing blue lights even appeared when the set was off in standby mode.

Pioneer tech support swore the main board was fried. Best Buy Geek Squad said it would cost $1200 to repair. Looking down the barrel at that or a $3,000 OLED, I decided to try the factory reset procedure I read here (see attached). Lo and behold, it worked. The TVs been running fine since. 24 hours, no issues. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown.png
Views:	15
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2279784  
post #799 of 800 Old 09-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Steve View Post
This thread saved my bacon. My 10-year old Pioneer PDP-6010FD experienced the 12 flashing blue lights after a power outage. The set went dead after 20 minutes or so and the flashing lights appeared. I could turn it back on, but the same thing recurred over and over. The flashing blue lights even appeared when the set was off in standby mode.

Pioneer tech support swore the main board was fried. Best Buy Geek Squad said it would cost $1200 to repair. Looking down the barrel at that or a $3,000 OLED, I decided to try the factory reset procedure I read here (see attached). Lo and behold, it worked. The TVs been running fine since. 24 hours, no issues. Fingers crossed.
Don't forget to then tell the TV Guide "feature" to not run and to never remind you again. If you can figure out how to both tell it to never remind you AND to put 00000 in the zip and to set the TV guide system to believe you have no cable and no antenna please post back here. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish
post #800 of 800 Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinish View Post
Don't forget to then tell the TV Guide "feature" to not run and to never remind you again. If you can figure out how to both tell it to never remind you AND to put 00000 in the zip and to set the TV guide system to believe you have no cable and no antenna please post back here. Thanks.

G'day,

Vinish
I've had DirecTV since the day I bought the set, so I never set up or used the TV Guide feature to begin with. My problem was almost certainly caused by one of three factors: 1) the set is 10 years old, 2) power outage surge, and/or 3) overheating due to dust clogging all the vents. Good luck to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page