Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 711 Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sskim,
From my experience, you can't pick up digital/HD channels when the antenna is connected to input 'B'. It would be nice if they told you that in the owner's manual! The other thing is that even once you do get your antenna connected on input 'A', you need to run channel setup again for it to 'figure out' that there are HD channels available.

As a side note, before learning the above, I had my antenna on 'B' and didn't have any blue light problems. But I was wondering, "What the hell, is this HD?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 711 Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskim View Post

Doug G
What is a 'power cycle' and how would I perform one on my set?

Sorry, just a way of saying I turned it off, and then back on!

Incidentally, when I got home last night and walked by the set I noticed the blue LED was constantly flashing. Earlier in the day I had been working in my attic and turned my antenna to get it out of my way (I have a CM4228 which is quite wide.) At this vector it was completely unable to receive any channels at all. I looked in the manual but can't find this LED pattern noted anywhere. However I did see it stated in the TVG section that as broadcasters move to digital content and broadcast, the TVG info may no longer be "available". I figured the set was smart enough to integrate the DTV PSIP info along with any provided info but maybe not. So if I'm only using this for OTA HD maybe I don't even need the TVG enabled? (Assuming I don't care about future program info, that is.) This must be coming from some other source since I noted that some of my digital stations I receive don't show up in the channel listing.

This wiki describes how the analog and digital guides basically work.
post #63 of 711 Old 01-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskim View Post

digitrip

are you able to pick up HD signals/broadcast with cable hooked up to the 'B' input?

The B input will only accept standard NTSC signals. (Non-HD). I have my OTA on input A and cable going into B.

I tried to "disable" the TVGOS but I do not belive that this can actually be done. I entered all zeroes, and told it that there was nothing hooked up, etc. I did this about 2 weeks ago. As of yesterday, my clock was off almost 2.5 hours and the TGOS data was missing. Tonight while I was suffering through American Idol, I noticed that the clock was spot on. And, the program guide was correct. When I click the TVGOS button on the remote a screen comes up that tells me that I need to setup the guide and also tells me the benefits of the system. So to me this proves that just putting in all zeroes does not truly disable the system.
post #64 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitrip View Post

The B input will only accept standard NTSC signals. (Non-HD). I have my OTA on input A and cable going into B.

I tried to "disable" the TVGOS but I do not belive that this can actually be done. I entered all zeroes, and told it that there was nothing hooked up, etc. I did this about 2 weeks ago. As of yesterday, my clock was off almost 2.5 hours and the TGOS data was missing. Tonight while I was suffering through American Idol, I noticed that the clock was spot on. And, the program guide was correct. When I click the TVGOS button on the remote a screen comes up that tells me that I need to setup the guide and also tells me the benefits of the system. So to me this proves that just putting in all zeroes does not truly disable the system.

Correct. The only way to disable it is to never set it from day 1. I called Pio support last week and had them guide me through a reset that got me to first power-up status. When the setup guide came up I chose Don't Remind Me. No problem since as long as I don't press the TVGuide button on the remote.
post #65 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Correct. The only way to disable it is to never set it from day 1. I called Pio support last week and had them guide me through a reset that got me to first power-up status. When the setup guide came up I chose Don't Remind Me. No problem since as long as I don't press the TVGuide button on the remote.

Are you having channel lock-up problems too?
post #66 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 AM

I've only got a few hours on my 5071, but have noticed the blue light flashing once (after being manually turned off) and had it shut itself off just a few minutes ago with a 480P source (running the break-in DVD over HDMI). I switched the player to 720P (Denon 1930CI) and cycled the power.

I gave Pioneer a call and the tech told me that this is normal behavior and the solution was to use it more. Basically it's part of break-in, according to him. "The more you use it, the less chance this will happen - the electronics need to break in."

While that's hardly an answer, as long as it doesn't bother me as long as it isn't a problem if it stops occuring.

FWIW, I only have composite video through the cable box and HDMI hooked up - no antenna.
post #67 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animes2k View Post

I've only got a few hours on my 5071, but have noticed the blue light flashing once (after being manually turned off) and had it shut itself off just a few minutes ago with a 480P source (running the break-in DVD over HDMI). I switched the player to 720P (Denon 1930CI) and cycled the power.

I gave Pioneer a call and the tech told me that this is normal behavior and the solution was to use it more. Basically it's part of break-in, according to him. "The more you use it, the less chance this will happen - the electronics need to break in."

While that's hardly an answer, as long as it doesn't bother me as long as it isn't a problem if it stops occuring.

FWIW, I only have composite video through the cable box and HDMI hooked up - no antenna.

Um, I think I speak for all of us when I say, WTF? What kind of tech support is that? This is not an old rust bucket of a car, its a precsion engineered television. To me, the logic of "Just run it more and maybe it won't keep shutting its self off" is total BS.

I would report that to someone's manager. Sorry if I sound a little outraged, but I have to throw the BS card on that one.

I am sending mine in for repair...after the SuperBowl.
post #68 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 AM

Oh I totally agree with you that it's a BS response. I'm guessing he didn't want to bother with it and since it's only happened twice (SO FAR) it's not really an established continuing problem. Honestly, I'm willing to deal with it as long as it doesn't continue to be a problem.

This is WAY better than the pitiful banding defect my returned Sharp 52D62 had (and basically all 46/52" D62s, for that matter).
post #69 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you having channel lock-up problems too?

No.
post #70 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I get the flashing blue light when the tv has been off for overnight or a long period of time, but no problems whith turning it on.

Also, I will be playing xbox 360 and the tv will just shut off and I get the flashing blue light(12x), has done this about 7-8 times. I called Pioneer tech support and some guy tried to tell me the tv was losing the signal of the xbox and it was the xbox's fault, I don't believe him, I don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Does anyone know what might be going on with my 5070 display?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #71 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

I get the flashing blue light when the tv has been off for overnight or a long period of time, but no problems whith turning it on.

Also, I will be playing xbox 360 and the tv will just shut off and I get the flashing blue light(12x), has done this about 7-8 times. I called Pioneer tech support and some guy tried to tell me the tv was losing the signal of the xbox and it was the xbox's fault, I don't believe him, I don't think he knew what he was talking about.

Does anyone know what might be going on with my 5070 display?

Most likely, and the answer is all over this thread. It is most likely your TVGUIDE trying to update itself, and losing signal/failing. This will cause your TV to jump into standby mode. Several fixes you can do...first is put in 00000 for your TVGUIDE area code. If this doesn't work, you may find your clock is off on the set, which is related. Reseting your clock to have it resync could take care of it as well, (I believe this is discussed a page or two back in this thread as well).

Dustin
post #72 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Most likely, and the answer is all over this thread. It is most likely your TVGUIDE trying to update itself, and losing signal/failing. This will cause your TV to jump into standby mode. Several fixes you can do...first is put in 00000 for your TVGUIDE area code. If this doesn't work, you may find your clock is off on the set, which is related. Reseting your clock to have it resync could take care of it as well, (I believe this is discussed a page or two back in this thread as well).

Dustin

I have done that, but I was wondering why the plasma would shut off and give me the flashing blue light when I was gaming on my 360(xbox)?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #73 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 07:26 PM

After pressing the TV Guide button and going to setup "change system settings" You should say no to cable and antenna to turn TVGOS off.

Explain exactly why you need to turn off TVGOS. The unit goes in to standby mode while you're using other video inputs? What time of day does it happen? Can you make it happen on purpose multiple times?
post #74 of 711 Old 01-31-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have done that, but I was wondering why the plasma would shut off and give me the flashing blue light when I was gaming on my 360(xbox)?

Do you have an antenna connected at all to your OTA port? Marky_Mark found that his TV would still shut off, even with the guide "disabled" until he literally disconnected the antenna from the OTA input...it seems the set was still detecting a source there and then querying for updates to the clock/etc possibly?

As for using your XBOX, if it is still the OTA tuner, it could be looking for updates in the background, regardless of what channel you are currently using.
post #75 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have an antenna connected at all to your OTA port? Marky_Mark found that his TV would still shut off, even with the guide "disabled" until he literally disconnected the antenna from the OTA input...it seems the set was still detecting a source there and then querying for updates to the clock/etc possibly?

As for using your XBOX, if it is still the OTA tuner, it could be looking for updates in the background, regardless of what channel you are currently using.

That makes since, thanks for the info.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #76 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM

I still cannot figure out if all 5070s are plagued with this problem if the OTA is connected to ANT A input or is it hit or miss either depending on your location (info being received by Ant A) or your particular 5070. Does anyone have any info in this regard?
post #77 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

I still cannot figure out if all 5070s are plagued with this problem if the OTA is connected to ANT A input or is it hit or miss either depending on your location (info being received by Ant A) or your particular 5070. Does anyone have any info in this regard?

I have not had any flashing blue light or picture freeze in over 3 weeks. I have my antenna connected to Ant-A, TVGuide disabled (selected Don't remind from initial startup), and clock set to manual.
post #78 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I have not had any flashing blue light or picture freeze in over 3 weeks. I have my antenna connected to Ant-A, TVGuide disabled (selected Don't remind from initial startup), and clock set to manual.

Thanks. Have you ever had it, or are you indicating that you have had your 5070 for 3 weeks and have had no problems since first plugging it in the first time?
post #79 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:

I removed my OTA and just hooked up cable from the wall into the A input. No problems so far. FWIW, in my opinion you can not truly disable the TVGOS unless you follow some steps profided by Pioneer. Simply putting in zeroes will not make it stop attempting to update.
post #80 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Have you ever had it, or are you indicating that you have had your 5070 for 3 weeks and have had no problems since first plugging it in the first time?

Never had it. The set was delivered on 1/12/07.
post #81 of 711 Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I removed my OTA and just hooked up cable from the wall into the A input. No problems so far. FWIW, in my opinion you can not truly disable the TVGOS unless you follow some steps profided by Pioneer. Simply putting in zeroes will not make it stop attempting to update.

That is correct. I called Pio support and had them walk me thru the procedure to reset the set to first time power up. Selected don't remind me when the TV Guide setup appeared. This disables the guide.
post #82 of 711 Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I will be playing xbox 360 and the tv will just shut off and I get the flashing blue light(12x), has done this about 7-8 times.

Does anyone else have any idea why this would happen?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #83 of 711 Old 02-02-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, I will be playing xbox 360 and the tv will just shut off and I get the flashing blue light(12x), has done this about 7-8 times.

Does anyone else have any idea why this would happen?

How are you connected? Do you have an OTA antenna connected?
post #84 of 711 Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How are you connected? Do you have an OTA antenna connected?

OTA antenna. but what does that have to do with gaming on the 360 and the plasma shutting off and giving me the flashing blue light?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #85 of 711 Old 02-02-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OTA antenna. but what does that have to do with gaming on the 360 and the plasma shutting off and giving me the flashing blue light?

Your antenna is connected, so the guide will try to auto-update every so often regardless of what input you are using at the time. This will cause it to go into standby if it fails again.
post #86 of 711 Old 02-03-2007, 04:44 AM

Well, I just got my 5070 last Friday and I left the break-in DVD playing overnight last night and this morning I find that the TV had shut down sometime overnight and I can't turn it back on. The blue light is flashing not 12, but 13 times.

I have tried unplugging it for a while and plugging it back in, turning it on/off from the remote and directly from the unit and everything else I can think of, but still nothing.

Any ideas? Can I really be the first person to have the blinking blue light result in a DOA unit?

Thanks.
post #87 of 711 Old 02-03-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your antenna is connected, so the guide will try to auto-update every so often regardless of what input you are using at the time. This will cause it to go into standby if it fails again.

That makes a lot of sense. Just sucks that happens when I am on-line gaming and it happens right in the middle of a game.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #88 of 711 Old 02-03-2007, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky24 View Post

Well, I just got my 5070 last Friday and I left the break-in DVD playing overnight last night and this morning I find that the TV had shut down sometime overnight and I can't turn it back on. The blue light is flashing not 12, but 13 times.

I have tried unplugging it for a while and plugging it back in, turning it on/off from the remote and directly from the unit and everything else I can think of, but still nothing.

Any ideas? Can I really be the first person to have the blinking blue light result in a DOA unit?

Thanks.

You should call pioneer tech support and get help from them or call the place you purchased it from and let them know what is going on.

I never did the burn in cd and I have never noticed any image retention or burn in and I even played xbox360 during that time. I did have the settings turned down for the first 100 hours, after that I turned them up to inhance my picture.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #89 of 711 Old 02-03-2007, 03:24 PM

I have 5071 for about a month and a half now. From day one, I have OTA connected to ANT A and SD Dish Network connected to ANT B and TV Guide disable. Within a week, I had the TV turned off by itself once and had the channel locked once due to fast channel surfing. After the shutdown/locking up problem, I decided to enable the TV Guide to see what happen. For about 5 weeks now, I have no more problem. By the way, before turn off the TV for the night, I always leave it on the channel with the highest signal strength.
post #90 of 711 Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 AM

I have the blue light problem. So far, it's happened twice and I've had the tv for two days. 5071. Once it happened while rapidly changing channels and once it happened while watching the same channel for over an hour (so I don't think it has anything to do with changing the channels.).

My firmware is:
06.08d
2. 4. 2525
04.11d

I have just gone in to the TVGuide setup and set 00000 and told it that there was no cable or antenna attached to the TV. Let's see what happens.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page