AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer 5070/71 Flashing Blue Light Shut-Down Thread

318K views 811 replies 238 participants last post by  GqMagic 
#1 ·
I know this has been covered in another thread, but it is very hard to locate this information so I thought it could be consolidated in one place. Moderators, feel free to smack me down and delete this as you see fit.

Here's my particular circumstance, similar to others I've read about:

--TV shuts down for no apparent reason followed by flashing blue light.

--Channel changing on the remote stops working. TV-guide info screen will not work also. Volume function continues to work. Upon shutting off the TV and powering back on, warning message appears saying something like "Please wait, TV re-starting". This stays for a minute or so until TV shuts down and blue light flashes 12 times. Upon hitting power button again, TV returns to normal function.

I called Pioneer (and e-mailed) and spoke with customer service and and all they told me was that they could send someone out, but if they couldn't fix it they would have to bring it into the shop to try to duplicate the behavior. That is unacceptable to me and I will return it to Costco before that happens (one of the reasons I purchased it there).

Reading in the various forums, this problem(s) seems to be related to the TV-guide function of the TV. Since I will soon be getting a DVR from Comcast, I assume I will no longer need this function on the TV itself so i pre-emptively disabled it. I just did this, but so far the benefits are that changing channels occurs much quicker than before with very little lag.

This sounds to me like a simple software fix, but Pioneer doesn't seem to even acknowledge it as a problem. Perhaps this forum will provide some critical mass (sort of like the SXRD green blob issue) to get Pioneer to resolve this.

Any and all thoughts encouraged. I will be calling a field tech tomorrow with my report on the flashing blue light (he asked me for the number of times it flashed, telling me that it would help him in his diagnosis).

See less See more
#2 ·
My 1140 did the same thing a day after I got it. Soon after, it never did get past the "Please wait, TV re-starting" screen. I called the A/V store I bought it from and they ordered another one (and, bless their hearts, provided me a loaner 1140 from their showroom while I waited for the replacement). Never had a shut down or flashing blue from either the loaner or the new one.

If yours is a recent purchase, I would exchange it. Otherwise, stay on Pioneer until they fix it. It is not normal.

-Dave

#3 ·
My 5070 did the flashing blue light thing once about 2 days after I bought it (not while I was watching it though). I figured it was a freak occurence so I didn't care much, I am not sure if this issue is typical? I use an external box. Pio does not issue firmware updates as far as I know. From what I have read, the majority of issues come from owners who use the TV Guide feature. Wait and get the external box and see what happens. I love my 5070 and gush everytime I watch HD via Dish's DVR (942). I'm ready to watch Daybreak with the wifey now!

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg /forum/post/0

I called Pioneer (and e-mailed) and spoke with customer service and and all they told me was that they could send someone out, but if they couldn't fix it they would have to bring it into the shop to try to duplicate the behavior. That is unacceptable to me and I will return it to Costco before that happens (one of the reasons I purchased it there).

This sounds to me like a simple software fix, but Pioneer doesn't seem to even acknowledge it as a problem. Perhaps this forum will provide some critical mass (sort of like the SXRD green blob issue) to get Pioneer to resolve this.

Any and all thoughts encouraged. I will be calling a field tech tomorrow with my report on the flashing blue light (he asked me for the number of times it flashed, telling me that it would help him in his diagnosis).

If i'm not mistaken, a Pioneer Plasma bought at Costco does not have a factory warranty and Pioneer will not repair it under warranty. My Costco's A/V guy told me this and i've seen it posted here a few times. You might want to check into this before the repair company hands you a huge bill in the event that Pioneer disavows any responsibility for the cost of repair.

And since it's Costco, why not just exchange it and get a new one?

#5 ·
and will certainly check on the warranty status with the shop that Pioneered steered me to. Pio is aware that I purchased it at Costco and gave me the contact of their local authorized repair representative. Someone in the other "5070 "problems" thread stated that he contact Pioneer and that Costco was indeed authorized.

I'm going to see what my interim fix does before going through the hassle of packing up and returning it. The screen is perfect (no dead pixels) so I'd hate to get one with other issues. On the other hand, if prices keep falling, I could get a 60-inch for just a bit more.

#7 ·
I have those concerns as well because ultimately (when I can afford it), I'd like to jetison the Comcast Motorola box I will get soon in place of an HD Tivo unit. But then again I suppose the Tivo software would be the tuning mechanism in concert with the cable cards.....it's all still a bit confusing to me.

I've come to think of these flat panels as nothing more than fairly complicated computers with all of the inherent problems that computers have. They just happen to have really big monitors built-in.

#8 ·
Search the knowledge base for "firmware" within the consumer plasma 5070 parameters......

It says (in part):

"Why does the power turn off and the power light blink on my plasma when I scroll thorgh HD channels?

When I use the built-in HD tuner on my plasma and I scroll through the HD channels, the unit shuts off and the power light blinks 10 times. (Models PDP-4345HD, PDP-5050HD, PRO-920HD, PRO-1120HD)

This is caused by a software problem within the media receiver. You will need to update the firmware. Your software needs to be version -004600K. To verify your software version, press and hold the display button for about 10 seconds."

This is what is happening to me. I will be contacting Pioneer and referencing this link to try to get some resolution.

#9 ·
This is crap.My tv has been exchanges 2 x and it still happens. I turned off the TVGOS and it still happened. I have a cable card which may be the issue. I am currently working with an engineer in Chicago and the head of Pio customer service to try to get this fixed. They have a service order in w/the factory and told me if they cant figure it out they will refund my $. I figured I will buy a panasonic if they cant fix it for 1k less.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

If i'm not mistaken, a Pioneer Plasma bought at Costco does not have a factory warranty and Pioneer will not repair it under warranty. My Costco's A/V guy told me this and i've seen it posted here a few times. You might want to check into this before the repair company hands you a huge bill in the event that Pioneer disavows any responsibility for the cost of repair.

And since it's Costco, why not just exchange it and get a new one?

I called Pioneer to ask if Costco was an authorized dealer. The CR told me they were authorized even though they weren't listed on Pioneers website as being so. I only called once so you might want to call and see if you get the same story.

#12 ·
This problem is just the guide trying to update itself. Go into the guide setup, and tell it not to update, and put 0000 in for your zipcode. Then set the clock to be set manually. This fixed the problem on my 6070.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 /forum/post/0

This problem is just the guide trying to update itself. Go into the guide setup, and tell it not to update, and put 0000 in for your zipcode. Then set the clock to be set manually. This fixed the problem on my 6070.

My tvguide is turned off and my clock is set to manual and I still had an issue with it. Last night the screen that tells me what channel and time it is when I change channels froze and I could not turn the channel. So I turned it off then turned it on and it says "please wait restarting" just stays like that for a while, so I turn it off and try to turn it on and get the flashing blue light, so I uplug the power for about 1 minute and everything is fine except resetting the clock which is standard when removing power.

Is this a problem that will continue to occur, or is just a fluke or do I need to do something within the settings or call for service?

#16 ·

Quote:

I'm not sure tdogroeder. I'd just watch it for a while and see if unplugging it took care of it.

That did fix it, but I think the tyguide was already turned off. How do I make sure that it is set to "do not update"?

#20 ·
I have had my 5070 for a few months and have seen this 3 times. Most recently today. I was watching the pre-game show on FOX and all of a sudden it shuts off and the blue light starts flashing. This is the first time that I have seen it shut the TV down. The other times it was just flashing when I came home from work or got up in the morninig.

Someone mentioned that Pioneer does not offer firmware updates? Is this true? I bought mine from Amazon who is an authorized dealer. Would you reccomend contacting them or Pioneer first?

#21 ·
I called Pioneer today and asked about the flashing. I told them about the 12 blinks. The rep said that he couldn't say exactly what the problem was based on the info I provided. He did say that there was definitely something wrong with it though, especially if it is shutting its self off.

I also called Amazon.com to see about returning it. I think that becuase I purchased it between Nov. and Dec. I can return it no questions asked.

I don't know if I will at this point, because I really love the TV. However, if it is giving problems within the first 2 months, not a good sign in my opinion. We'll see what they say.

Chris

#23 ·

Quote:

A few questions:

So, first, does this problem occur on all Pioneers 5070/71 or 6070/71 or is it a hit or miss thing? Second, if the problem occurs, does the above quoted fix solve the problem with these Pioneer sets? Lastly, if you have the problem and the fix does not resolve the problem, does disconnecting the Antena cable input solve the problem so it goes away (never to appear again so long a the cable is not plugged in)?

Thanks

#24 ·
I took a delivery of 5070hd last friday. I have it connected only via external antenna mounted on the roof. When i first connected on saturday, even though i was getting HD signal and channels, they were intermittent. On sunday, however, I was getting really good signal. I pick up all major networks in HD without any problem. And then as I started disabling channels so I can browse quicker, the screen froze. I press different buttons on the remote but nothing happened. I then turned off the tv. When I turned it back on, there was this 'starting up, please wait...' message. It was on for few minutes before I turned it off. And when I did, the blue flashing lights came on. At the time, I didn't know what was going on and did pay close attention so I don't know how many times it blinked. I think I turned it back on while it was still blinking. I still had the 'starting up....' message but when I pressed different input buttons, it started working again. I hope this isn't anything serious. When I get home, I'm going to disable the TV guide feature as everyone seems to be suggesting.

#25 ·
After owning my set for about a month, I also just experienced this problem tonight.
It is actually the second time it's happened, but the first time I didn't really think anything of it. I am using an antenna input on ANT A and picking up my local channel air HD broadcasts. When it happened I was trying to flip through the channels rather quickly and after about three channels it just froze up (wouldn't respond to remote) and then shut off with the flashing blue light. Recalling the first time it shut off, I think I was also trying to change channels quickly.

Does anyone know if the problem is triggered by rapid channel switching? In any case, I disabled the TVGOS function and will see if the problem goes away.

Is there any harm done to the set when this problem occurs? It is definitely dis-heartening because the set has such a great picture.

#26 ·
I too have my OTA on input A. Regular cable on input B. I have done away with the TVGuide. We'll see if that makes a difference.

I did think about returning this set, but when it came down to it, what else was I gonna buy? This set simply has the best picture of anything in or close to this price range. I don't think there is anything physically worng with the TV. There has to be some fix in software.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.