The OFFICIAL Pioneer PRO-FHD1 Elite 50'' 1080p Plasma - OWNERS THREAD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2025 Old 12-13-2006, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just came back from my hi end dealer and just purchased the Pioneer Elite VSX-84 for my FHD1. Pretty happy about it. I spoke with the dealer about a few things...namely the Blu Ray player, upcoming Pio receivers. As far as the receivers go he mentioned that the newer HDMI 1.3 versions were about 6 months to 1 year away....probably 6 months. I could not wait that long so I pulled the trigger on the VSX 84 and am pretty happy about it. I don't know how much I will miss regarding the HDMI 1.3 but nothing is out there supporting it yet so I think I can live without it.

As far as the Blu Ray player he seemed to indicate he was getting them in about a week away. He actually told me to wait if I could for the 2nd gen players because the first generations may be a little slower and may not support the new audio formats. Since I own an older elite dvd player the DV-37 I'm not sure what I want to do. The Blu Ray player would be a great match so its tempting.

I have some busy days ahead trying to figure out the new Pio Amp I purchased.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2025 Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspectral View Post

Well I just came back from my hi end dealer and just purchased the Pioneer Elite VSX-84 for my FHD1. Pretty happy about it. I spoke with the dealer about a few things...namely the Blu Ray player, upcoming Pio receivers. As far as the receivers go he mentioned that the newer HDMI 1.3 versions were about 6 months to 1 year away....probably 6 months. I could not wait that long so I pulled the trigger on the VSX 84 and am pretty happy about it. I don't know how much I will miss regarding the HDMI 1.3 but nothing is out there supporting it yet so I think I can live without it.

As far as the Blu Ray player he seemed to indicate he was getting them in about a week away. He actually told me to wait if I could for the 2nd gen players because the first generations may be a little slower and may not support the new audio formats. Since I own an older elite dvd player the DV-37 I'm not sure what I want to do. The Blu Ray player would be a great match so its tempting.

I have some busy days ahead trying to figure out the new Pio Amp I purchased.

Cheers.

Congrads on your VSX 84Ti its a great companion to the FHD1 and its quality plus affordable. It performs just great for me and my FHD1 and it comes with my HIGEST recommendation, I just had a fourm member PM telling me the best price I have ever heard on VSX 84Ti in the entire USA. PM me if anybody is interested ASAP
post #93 of 2025 Old 12-14-2006, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You know all of us FHD1 owners have been waiting for a damm decent BR player to come in and most of us are waiting for the Pioneer elite "kick Ass" Blue ray for a chunk of change...while I was told to kept this to myself...it appears we will be getting a early christimas present...like December 22, 2006 or there abouts. The Pioneer Store in South Coast plaza claims to be the first one to get them out. Since Christmas is a monday..it would make for a "killer" 3 day weekend to have this and the FHd1 up and running. If anybody has received special information on the setting of the pioneer/sony blue ray player and the fhd1 or any other 1080 p monitor I would appreciate those setting along with any other suggestions on the FHD1 when it exhibits BLue Ray...I just want "Kingdom of Heaven" to kick ass. By the way JFR what did you think of the "directors cut" and how did you like the PQ/Sound?????? on your FHD1
post #94 of 2025 Old 12-14-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Kingdom of Heaven had excellent PQ. Very "film-like." The sound was very interesting. As you may know, this disc has DTS Master Audio. The Sony player passes the DTS "Core" stream to my processor, which shows it's getting DTS. Of course, this sounded fine as DTS usually does. However, it made me wonder just how good it might sound with the full DTS Master Audio lossless, which of course would require the player to decode it to pass LPCM to my processor. Hopefully, Pioneer and/or Sony will be able to come through with a firmware update to allow the player to decode such codecs.

John
post #95 of 2025 Old 12-14-2006, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR0317 View Post

Kingdom of Heaven had excellent PQ. Very "film-like." The sound was very interesting. As you may know, this disc has DTS Master Audio. The Sony player passes the DTS "Core" stream to my processor, which shows it's getting DTS. Of course, this sounded fine as DTS usually does. However, it made me wonder just how good it might sound with the full DTS Master Audio lossless, which of course would require the player to decode it to pass LPCM to my processor. Hopefully, Pioneer and/or Sony will be able to come through with a firmware update to allow the player to decode such codecs.

Confimed in the "pioneer br ship date thead on this fourm under blue ray player" directly from "chris" at Pioneer...the mean blu ray "machine" ships out of the wherehouse on Dec 20 th........Get ready to Rock and Roll on the FHD1
post #96 of 2025 Old 12-15-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry78 View Post

Hello FHD1 owners,

I've been a registered "lurker" for quite some time and have decided to pull the trigger on an FHD1 after much research on several plasmas. However, the Pioneer website says there are no dealers within 100 miles of my home, and that seems to be true as I have not seen one locally. I could buy one online buy I understand that Pioneer would not honor the warrantee in that case.

What do you guys suggest? Could one of the box stores that carries the other Pioneer video (non-Elite) products order one for me?

Thanks!
.....Terry

Pioneer has a list of authorized internet sellers on their website. Buy from one of them, and you will get the warranty. I ordered mine from Vanns, it will be here tomorrow. UPDATE 12/15 I withdraw my recommendation to buy from Vanns. Their representative told me the stand would be included with the monitor. The PRO-FHD1 arrived today with no stand. Called Vanns. Basically it was "tough luck the rep should not have told you that". I just ordered the stand from abt electronics. I was tempted to return the monitor to Vanns, but decided it was not worth the aggravation.
post #97 of 2025 Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning101 View Post

Pioneer has a list of authorized internet sellers on their website. Buy from one of them, and you will get the warranty. I ordered mine from Vanns, it will be here tomorrow. UPDATE 12/15 I withdraw my recommendation to buy from Vanns. Their representative told me the stand would be included with the monitor. The PRO-FHD1 arrived today with no stand. Called Vanns. Basically it was "tough luck the rep should not have told you that". I just ordered the stand from abt electronics. I was tempted to return the monitor to Vanns, but decided it was not worth the aggravation.

Did you get the offer of the stand in writing if you did dispute the charge on your credit card minus the stand price, what did you pay and how much is the stand, you should have gone "powerbuy"
post #98 of 2025 Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

Did you get the offer of the stand in writing if you did dispute the charge on your credit card minus the stand price, what did you pay and how much is the stand, you should have gone "powerbuy"

Yes, I messed up all the way around. I was new to the forum and didn't know about powerbuy. I did not get the offer in writing. I did not get the representative's name. But looking on the bright side, at least there was a stand available! Monitor was $7,999. Stand was $499. I got both for less than list, but I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the amounts in a post. Wasn't that much different anyway.
post #99 of 2025 Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I was reading the manual for the FHD1. On page 4 (at the top left), it describes a "Plasma Display protection function." Do you have to turn this function on somehow? I paused mine for 4 minutes or so and it did not dim at all. I have to admit to a little "burn-in-phobia" so, with three kids ages 9 and under pausing the TV ocassionally, a dim feature would help to unclench my butt cheeks a little.
post #100 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Just wanted to say thank's -- D-nice and all -- for the settings.

I'm expecting my new FHD1 to arrive on Thursday. Unfortunately I'm also expecting house guests to arrive on Thursday, and I forsee a fight between my desire to play the 'master burn in thread dvd' for 100 hours and their desire to watch a movie at a high contrast level with multiple pauses for bathroom breaks and popcorn making etc. I'm the owner, so I'll win. (dvd player 1 driving FHD1 with 'master burn in dvd', dvd player 2 driving speakers and old TV with movie, intermixed with frequent comments of 'Bob, you're insane. You just spent a bunch of money and we're watching this little piece of ... through a s-video cable no less. I wanna see the big one! ')

Both my DVD players and my cable box have screen savers if paused.

BTW, in Canada I hear the MSRP just had another price drop, according to the authorized dealer I just bought it from.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #101 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

*sigh*

Yes indeedy, no matter what thread, it never ends.
post #102 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 03:53 PM

Hi,

I was going to order this plasma from a well known website (I wont say the name, maybe it's agaist the rules?) anyway, it's been a week and I havent gotten a reponse to my e-mails, so I dont know where to get it from.

I know posting links to stores is againt the rules, so I would apreciate it if you could PM me if you know a good reliable store with a nice price on this TV.

PS: I apologize in advance if even replying with this was againt the forum rules, it's just that I have been scammed by a bait and switch store before, and I didn't know where else to turn for advice, since this is going to be a big investment for me, thanx in advance.
post #103 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Has ANYBODY gotten the auto stretch to work? My setup is routed through a Denon 3806 and I use the DirecTV HR10-250 for my TV input. When I set the Aspect to auto, the manual states it will stretch 4:3 content to wide, yet I still have black bars on the 4:3 content. Am I missing something?

Autodim question (a few question above) hasn't been tackled either!

Chris
post #104 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Tobi54:
Quote:
I would apreciate it if you could PM me if you know a good reliable store

Personally I'm a bricks and mortar store fan for things made of glass.
I'm not sure if you'll get an answer to your question, but I'm fairly sure you won't without putting a city/state/province/country into your profile.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #105 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 09:35 PM

Since the 2.35:1 movies show black bars, should I avoid these during break-in? I have spent hours searching and reading - my conclusion is that is is better to avoid any black bars. I would just like some advice from you folks.

Thanks.
post #106 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a new owner (picked it up Thursday). Although I have generally tried to avoid them, I watched King Kong via HD-DVD today (3 hours or so) in 2.35:1 and afterward, I saw no retention much less burn-in. I haven't decided whether to do a "formal break-in" or not, just watching on Standard AV mode and eliminating black bars where possible.

Has everyone here done a formal break-in (like with the DVD in the other posts)?
post #107 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

Has ANYBODY gotten the auto stretch to work? My setup is routed through a Denon 3806 and I use the DirecTV HR10-250 for my TV input. When I set the Aspect to auto, the manual states it will stretch 4:3 content to wide, yet I still have black bars on the 4:3 content. Am I missing something?

Autodim question (a few question above) hasn't been tackled either!

Chris

auto stretch works for me but it won't appear to work with channels that broadcast their 4:3 material WITH the black bars; essentially the monitor will see a "1080" signal and not stretch it so you would manuall have to select the aspect you want...this is what i experience with my cable company (cablevision) on their HD versions of channels (i.e., they broadcast both the analog and digital versions of local broadcast stations...the analog is auto-stretched since the monitor sees it as 4:3 material, however the digital is seen as 720 or 1080 material depending on whether it is cbs/nbc or fox and others)
post #108 of 2025 Old 12-16-2006, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post

I'm a new owner (picked it up Thursday). Although I have generally tried to avoid them, I watched King Kong via HD-DVD today (3 hours or so) in 2.35:1 and afterward, I saw no retention much less burn-in. I haven't decided whether to do a "formal break-in" or not, just watching on Standard AV mode and eliminating black bars where possible.

Has everyone here done a formal break-in (like with the DVD in the other posts)?

it may be wreckless on my part, but i'm not doing any sort of break-in or altering settings based on a fear of burn-in...my viewing is varied and not for very extended periods at a time...come back in a year and see if i am weeping or not
post #109 of 2025 Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

it may be wreckless on my part, but i'm not doing any sort of break-in or altering settings based on a fear of burn-in...my viewing is varied and not for very extended periods at a time...come back in a year and see if i am weeping or not

Hi Ben,
I did not do a break-in or burn-in...although, I did enter (and I am still using) D-Nice's "break-in" settings. Probably the single most significant change is to lower the contrast from 40 (factory default?) to 25 (recommended for the first 200 hours by D-Nice).
post #110 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No need to check back with you in a year.
post #111 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have experience with DBuys website? They advertise a lot of Pioneer merchandise, and I was wondering how reputable they are? You can PM me if you wish to discuss your recommendations/warnings for DBuys. Thanks.
post #112 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

As the price of the FHD1 comes down the difference between brick store and the internet is getting smaller. I just saw a 500 price drop at bb-mag from the new retail
price of 8K and there is always room to get the price down. Guys, you might want to try a elite dealer. The "BIG ONE" is shipping tommorow and might be avaiable at the pioneer store...the companion to the FHD1...I am excited as hd-dvd is just killer on the FHD1, BR should be more of same except better. Guys we are at the crossroads here.....the beginning of a new era in home theater history the creation of the "Dynamic Duo" which could be unsurpassed for long time in terms of Picture Quality......
..................GET READY the FHD1 is ABOUT TO GO TURBO!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #113 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 08:21 PM

I'm curious....how many fellow FHD1 owners are going to purchase the Pioneer Blu Ray Player?
I am still on the fence between Toshiba's XA2 and Pioneer's Player. I'd love to hear how many are going for the Pioneer.
post #114 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

redspectral:

I'll be an FHD1 owner in 63 hours.

I have a Toshiba XA1. No plans to upgrade to an XA2 anytime soon.

I do plan on getting the Pioneer BlueRay player in the early new year.

There is no format war. They expect you to buy both.
- Terminator 1 (MGM): BlueRay only
- Terminator 2 (Lion's Gate): BlueRay only
- Terminator 3 (Warner): HD-DVD only.

I'm looking forward to the Home Media Gallery feature as well.

post #115 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have had a Toshiba HD-A1 since April and am expecting to get my pre-ordered BDP-HD1 around the 29th from Tweeter. In the meantime, I have a Sony BDP-S1. It's really nice to be able to pick which high definition movie you want to see, not just what is available on one format.

John
post #116 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 PM

Basement Bob,

You are going to love the FHD1. I have had mine for about 2 weeks and it is a beautiful display. Worth every penny.

The blu ray player by Pioneer has me a little confused. I may be wrong but it consists of HDMI 1.2 and does not seem to support the new audio formats. It does do 1080/24 but would this be the main reason to purchase it? It seems like alot to spend when it does not immediately support HDMI 1.3 and the new audio formats. I am not supporting either camp yet I just want to be sure to make a good decision as I will only buy into one format for now....although I would not be surprised if I buy both. I am really torn because I think the Pioneer Player will be a great match but I want to make sure it can be updated.

Do you guys think that the Pioneer's Blu Ray can be updated?
post #117 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

yes the pioneer and sony and sammy are updateable. In fact the sammy has already been udated last month. Guys when this thing hooks up...a picture will be a 1000 words.
post #118 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 PM

Blade,

Did you order yours yet? If so when are you picking it up? I would love to hear what its like.
post #119 of 2025 Old 12-18-2006, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

redspectral:

I'll be an FHD1 owner in 63 hours.

I have a Toshiba XA1. No plans to upgrade to an XA2 anytime soon.

I do plan on getting the Pioneer BlueRay player in the early new year.

There is no format war. They expect you to buy both.
- Terminator 1 (MGM): BlueRay only
- Terminator 2 (Lion's Gate): BlueRay only
- Terminator 3 (Warner): HD-DVD only.

I'm looking forward to the Home Media Gallery feature as well.

Bob, Warner has said they will catch up this year on BR so expect Term 3 on BR soon, so you are right there is no format war, BR will be the only one which will have the terminator franchise.
post #120 of 2025 Old 12-19-2006, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

the pio bd player, while certainly "technically" upgradeable via firmware upgrade, is not guaranteed to be upgraded to support the advanced audio codecs or even to upgrade the player to the profile 2 spec...i would love to pair up the fhd1 with the pio player but until i hear for sure that pio is going to upgrade the player, i'm holding off...especially at its price point.

i don't care about hdmi 1.3 as the fhd1 doesn't have 1.3 nor does my avr, so it would be useless...the advanced audio codecs and profile 2 compatibility, however, are very important to me. all of the explicit disclaimers on pio's site regarding firmware upgrades also adds to my stand-off posture at this time.

*sigh*
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page