The OFFICIAL Pioneer PRO-FHD1 Elite 50'' 1080p Plasma - OWNERS THREAD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There has been some reluctance to begin this thread (I cant imagine why ), but here it goes. Of course, because this is an OWNERS discussion thread, there should be no expectation of unbiased opinions from this thread. I have observed that many of the owners of this Pioneer PRO-FHD1 Elite 50'' 1080p PureVision Plasma Monitor are overcome by their unbridled exuberance in SHOUTING to the world about their phenomenal new acquisitionand have, in fact, dubbed this display to be the KING of all display devices. (and you know who you are... )

This is the link to the manufacturers website (also find the Owners Manual here)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

Note: This is a HD 1080p "Monitor" (Not a TV) and as such, does not have a built-in tunner and does not come with speakers or any type of base, stand or mounting hardware.

Next, due to the high sticker price currently (December 8, 2006) at $8,000 (down from $10,000, originally) not including the optional Table Top Stand (PDK-TS23) listing for an additional $600, most NEW owners are immediately concerned with protecting their investment by:
1.)\tLearning to avoid possible IR (image retention issues...however, remote) and
2.)\tLocating the recommended settings to use during the break-in period

Therefore, I kick-off this thread of by posting these setting from D-Nice's plasma break-in thread. Although, I seem to recall that when I put them in...there was 1 or 2 items that did not apply.

The picture did look better after I made the adjustments below.

Per D-Nice: "Break-in (first 200 hours) settings for Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 with SA8300HD cable boxes (Do not use with a DVD player)"

Below are D-Nices original Break-In settings
(NEW) indicates where D-Nice has changed his Break-In Settings
After 200 hours = D-Nices Night settings
Attached is a Adobe PDF containing all of D-Nices current settings.

Main Menu:
AV Selection: Pure
Contrast: 25 (New 22 then 27 after 200 hours)
Brightness: -1
Color: +2 (New +1 then +2 after 200 hours)
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -9

Pro Adjust
Pure Cinema: ADV

Color Detail:
Color Temp: Manual
R High: +2
G High: 0
B High: -6
R Low: +2 (+1 after 200 hours)
G Low: 0 (New -1)
B Low: +3 (New +4)

CTI: Off

Color Management:
R: +7
Y: +3
G: -4 (New -6)
C: -9
B: -2
M: +1 (New +3)

NR:
DNR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

DRE:
Dynamic Contrast: High
Black Level: Off
ACL: Off
Gamma: 2

Others:
I-P Mode: 1

Power Save Mode: Save2 (Save 1 after 200 hours)
H/V Position Adjust (HDMI Only): Vertical +2

PRO FHD-1 D-Nice Settings.pdf 5.8154296875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PRO FHD-1 D-Nice Settings.pdf (5.8 KB, 22 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks jscott...

[EDIT: i've got some pretty basic questions about the settings/menus/options but i think i'm going to RTFM first ... i'll try to take notes and provide a post.

i will eventually have this monitor professionally calibrated, but until then i will experiment with settings. but without doing as i just said i would , what are the differences between the various power saving modes Standard, Save1 and Save2...i noticed that it came default in save1?]
post #3 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

thanks jscott...I will eventually have this monitor professionally calibrated...]

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post

...what are the differences between the various power saving modes Standard, Save1 and Save2...i noticed that it came default in save1?]

I remember reading this somewhere...but, I can't recall...hopefully, someone else will chime in with the answer. Afterall, I just started the thread to get all this info in one place...I have had my FHD1 for just over a month, so I am not the all-knowing fount of information
post #4 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 10:34 AM

Hi All,

First off thank you Jscott for pointing me to this thread. I thought the original one was closed so I pm'ed you and Plazman for some help. Anyhow this is great.

I fired the FHD1 up last night it was fantastic. WOW, great image. The setttings were pretty good although I think they may get better as the tv breaks in more.

I had a few questions and some were answered by D-Nice but I thought I would include these in my post for others.

1) I am using a DVI/DVI cable as input 1 to my cable box. I noticed that if I go into home menu and to setup I can adjust the av signal for input one. There are two options RGB 0-255 or RGB 16-235. Which have you selected? RGB 16-235 looks a little better in that it pops the image but I do not know which is better for break in.

D-Nice mentioned using RGB 16-235. It does look better.

2) I was not able to access these two setting any idea how to get to them?

Color Space: 2

Intellegent Color: Off

I have not gotten an answer on this but I have asked D-Nice. For those of you reading D-Nice posted some Break-In Settings for the FHD1. These are two settings I could not get to.

3) I am having some issues with my audio. I am revamping my HT setup but at the moment as a band-aid I am using a Bose Cinemate system. This is essentially 2 Bose speakers with built in amps and a Sub. I connected the speakers to the audio inputs but cannot get any sound. Is there something that you have to disable or enable on the screen. If you do not know the answer don't sweat it I will call my store. I just thought I would mention it in case you knew.

Finally does anyone get any buzzing from their FHD1. I know this is common with most plasmas including my old one but I was curious if you had any on your FHD1. I do not get anything when the plasma is on with no signal. When I feed it a signal I can hear the buzz. Again this is with no audio. I may not notice when I get my audio up but was curious if others have the same observation.

FHD1 is such a nice screen.
post #5 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 10:44 AM

Just an update.

Apparently D-Nice said that the FHD-1 does not have these settings.

post #6 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Thanks for creating this thread. The other one with "you know who" was very annoying. Hopefully this one will stay "civil".

Here are the corrected settings for the FHD-1. I'll be updating the settings in my thread this weekend. I'm splitting up the post break-in settings. There will be "Conservative" and "Aggressive" settings listed.

Main Menu:
Contrast: 25 (change to 36 after 200 hours)
Color: +2

Pro Adjust

Color Detail:
R Low: +2
G Low: 0
B Low: +3

Color Management:
G: -4
M: +1

NR:

DRE:

Others:

Power Save Mode: Save2 (change to STANDARD after 200 hours)
post #7 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Thanks for creating this thread. The other one with "you know who" was very annoying. Hopefully this one will stay "civil".

Here are the corrected settings for the FHD-1. I'll be updating the settings in my thread this weekend. I'm splitting up the post break-in settings. There will be "Conservative" and "Aggressive" settings listed.

Main Menu:
Contrast: 25 (change to 36 after 200 hours)
Color: +2

Pro Adjust

Color Detail:
R Low: +2
G Low: 0
B Low: +3

Color Management:
G: -4
M: +1

NR:

DRE:

Others:

Power Save Mode: Save2 (change to STANDARD after 200 hours)

i'm a total n00b in the sense that i've never owned a plasma; have been aware of general issues and concerns but one thing i am surprised to read about is "break-in" ... i wasn't aware that you still needed to "break-in" a new plasma?!?

are these settings you posted for the break-in period?

also, which thread are you referring to, the 6th & 7th generations thread?

[EDIT: ah, wait, i see that these are for break-in with the updated settings, where applicable, indicated in parenthesis...sorry ]
post #8 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspectral View Post

I was not able to access these two setting any idea how to get to them?

I have not gotten an answer on this but I have asked D-Nice. For those of you reading D-Nice posted some Break-In Settings for the FHD1. These are two settings I could not get to.

I recall that when I tried to enter the D-Nice settings that there were a couple that seemed to be N/A to the FHD1...these might be in the setup menu on some of the Elite TV's.

Quote:

I am having some issues with my audio. I am revamping my HT setup but at the moment as a band-aid I am using a Bose Cinemate system. This is essentially 2 Bose speakers with built in amps and a Sub. I connected the speakers to the audio inputs but cannot get any sound.

I had this very same issue when I first set up the FHD1. Other sets that I have owned had an audio "monitor out" on the back, however, the FHD1 does not. (as you noted...there is no way to get sound out of the audio "inputs" on the back of the FHD1...there are exactly that...inputs, NOT outputs. I am using the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. I got the best sound by plugging the speakers into the back of the SA8300HD DVR cable box...which does have a variable audio output. The remote (see the programing instructions that came with your remote) can be programmed such that when controlling the TV (FHD1) the VOL button works the volume of the cable box instead of the internal FHD1 amp...which is not hooked to anything.

However, I then got a 2nd SA8300 and I am now connecting the speakers to my AV receiver, but on the Tape Monitor outputs...so the volume is controlled by the cable box...not the receiver. Therefore the volume of the TV speakers is independant of the receiver.

Quote:

Finally does anyone get any buzzing from their FHD1. I know this is common with most plasmas including my old one but I was curious if you had any on your FHD1. I do not get anything when the plasma is on with no signal. When I feed it a signal I can hear the buzz. Again this is with no audio. I may not notice when I get my audio up but was curious if others have the same observation.

I have heard absolutely NO buzzing even up close with the audio OFF.
post #9 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You do not "have to" break-in a plasma. It's a comfort level thing. Some do it, some don't.

The settings I just posted are copied from the post#1 of this thread. They are combo settings where you adjust what is in () after 200 hours.
post #10 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

It will be interesting to compare the final specs using the HD-DVD Joe Kane 1080p disc vs D' nices settings. As you know, the disc was postponed on its DEC 5, 2006 arrival date. Although Amazon and hidefdigfest.com have no date, Blockbuster on line does. 1-30-07 for rental. I am waiting anyway for the Pioneer BR player before any serious calibration will occur such that I can get the two in sync. Best Buys date on the pioneer is 1/5/07 so I might wait till the "kane" disc comes out and if I really like the results I might forgo the added expense
post #11 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

But you couldn't "resist" taking that first shot yourself.
post #12 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks D-Nice,
I, for one, eagerly await your new settings. Can you repost your settings for the FHD1 to this thread, as well?
post #13 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It would be nice not to hear "the King" crap in this thread?
post #14 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

It would be nice not to hear "the King" crap in this thread?

I am on my best behavior
post #15 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

I am on my best behavior

Thanks Blade.
post #16 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jScottmsc View Post

Thanks D-Nice,
I, for one, eagerly await your new settings. Can you repost your settings for the FHD1 to this thread, as well?

Will do.
post #17 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

But you couldn't "resist" taking that first shot yourself.

Busted
post #18 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You do not "have to" break-in a plasma. It's a comfort level thing. Some do it, some don't.

The settings I just posted are copied from the post#1 of this thread. They are combo settings where you adjust what is in () after 200 hours.

great, thanks...now i don't feel bad about watching for 10 hours yesterday on the factory default settings
post #19 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

I am on my best behavior

doesn't every owner's thread have at least one "champion"

i always expect zealous posts by current owners, particularly when non-owners step in merely to thread-crap and such.

but leaving "king" out is always a good idea to keep outsiders from coming in "rising up" ...
post #20 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

while never owning a plasma, i also have never owned a pioneer display...

is there a way to get into the service menus; e.g., to check usage hours, etc.?
post #21 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 PM

I read about this on another thread but am not sure if it works for the FHD1.

Try this at your own risk. Again I have not tried it.

This is the thread I got.

CAUTION!
you can screw up your TV by messing with the service menu!

Here is how to get to the Service Menu...
(this works with xx60 series, and elites so I assume it works with xx70 series as well)

Start with the plasma turned OFF.

Press DISPLAY on the remote
(just press, do not hold).
Wait 3 seconds.
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER (on the remote).

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is
displayed.

Press MUTE (3 times to go to PANEL FACTS) and press SELECT.

Press DOWN (1 time) to page through each menu (for instance, to see the multiple pages that make up the INFORMATION section).

HR-MTR = the panel time
post #22 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 12:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks to those that have helped answer some of my questions.

I wanted to ask those who have the panel about the buzzing again. I'm not sure if its a big deal or not. This is my first Pioneer. I have pretty sensitive ears so it may be more apparent to me.

I noticed a buzzing on the right side of the panel in the back. I can hear it faintly from 10ft away. This is with a signal from the cable box. When I turn the cable box off the buzzing practically disappears. I know all plasmas will have some sort buzz......it is never completely silent.
Some people say they do not hear anything. When you say this do you mean nothing at all even from the rear? I am trying to figure out if it is normal or not. Again this is without any audio on.
I raise the question because I want to make sure it is not an issue I have to deal with asap. If it is common then so be it. I love the panel. Usually there are always a few panels which buzz some more noticeable than others.
post #23 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read about this on another thread but am not sure if it works for the FHD1.

Try this at your own risk. Again I have not tried it.

This is the thread I got.

CAUTION!
you can screw up your TV by messing with the service menu!

Here is how to get to the Service Menu...
(this works with xx60 series, and elites so I assume it works with xx70 series as well)

Start with the plasma turned OFF.

Press DISPLAY on the remote
(just press, do not hold).
Wait 3 seconds.
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER (on the remote).

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is
displayed.

Press MUTE (3 times to go to PANEL FACTS) and press SELECT.

Press DOWN (1 time) to page through each menu (for instance, to see the multiple pages that make up the INFORMATION section).

HR-MTR = the panel time

thanx red, this is the kind of stuff that eventually should make its way intot he first post...
post #24 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask those who have the panel about the buzzing again. I'm not sure if its a big deal or not. This is my first Pioneer. I have pretty sensitive ears so it may be more apparent to me.

I noticed a buzzing on the right side of the panel in the back. I can hear it faintly from 10ft away. This is with a signal from the cable box. When I turn the cable box off the buzzing practically disappears. I know all plasmas will have some sort buzz......it is never completely silent.
Some people say they do not hear anything. When you say this do you mean nothing at all even from the rear? I am trying to figure out if it is normal or not. Again this is without any audio on.
I raise the question because I want to make sure it is not an issue I have to deal with asap. If it is common then so be it. I love the panel. Usually there are always a few panels which buzz some more noticeable than others.

i'll give a good listen tonight and report back.

if there is buzzing coming from a set, i would imagine that it could either be more or less pronounced depending on placement of the panel; e.g., for the time being, i have mine mounted on a sanus systems "pedestal" mount in the corner of my room...i would expect this to possibly amplify any sound coming off the equipment as a result of the reflectance from the corner, etc.

i did hear buzzing last night but it was my sa8300hd hard drive that was maknig all the ruckus and it did in fact seem amplified by its placement since i had never heard this particular unit make such a noise in its prior location (inside an a/v cabinet), however, i have another 8300hd in a rack in my media room which is located in a corner and i can definitely hear that one buzz, click, etc.
post #25 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 01:36 PM

I have a very distinct buzzing noise on my FHD1, but I'm at 6600 ft elevation so I was aware this could be caused by altitude. Fortunately my installation has it mounted on the front of a deep cabinet and in the normal position I don't hear it at all from the watching position. It is noticable when I pull the mount away from the cabinet. It goes away when I disconnect the source and returns when I reconnect.
post #26 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Thanks guys.

I called Pioneer....they were super nice and bassically told me what I thought. It is all relative. Some hear buzz, some don't and that they could send a technican out. I do not think it is necessary nor do I want to swap it or anything like that because it really is not that bad. My wife could barely hear it so I will leave as is. I really do have sensitive hearing. hehehe
Like I said the most noticeable is when I get right up close. Top right side.

Anyhow on to better things. I have the day off so I was doing some house cleaning with the panel on and I noticed it was playing Alien in HD! Ridley Scott's masterpiece and man did the picture blow me away! I have never seen anything this nice before and this was a HD cable feed. Very little grain and the sharpness was incredible! I was like a kid in a candy shop. This is one of my favorite films. This is also with the panel in break in settings and about 2hrs use so far. Unreal.

I need to get a new amp. I am big on 2channel audio so I am relatively new to the HT stuff. I did not want to break the bank on Classe or Lexicon amplification and wanted something simple. What do you guys think of the Pioneer VSX 84? It has HDMI switching and is pretty loaded. I think it is a pretty nice amp without breaking the bank.
post #27 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 01:52 PM

BenDover,

Welcome....I think you just bought yours as well? If so I think you will love it! It really is a fantastic panel. I do not know if you will be able to watch Standard feed cable anymore after watching HD material on it.
post #28 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,

Based on my set I am guessing that you do not have an unusual FHD1.

With a 100 IRE field(which should cause the maximum buzz) and on SAVE1 or SAVE2 I can hear a faint buzz at 10 feet. It comes from the top right. When the Fujitsu mod 30 next to it is on the louder Fujitsu buzz drowns it out. However if I change the FHD1 to Standard, the buzz from the FHD1 now becomes objectionable and is louder than the Fujitsu.

I find STANDARD unusable because of the noise.

Because the Fujitsu is nearly always on, I don't get the benefit of the reduced noise from the FHD1.
post #29 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 03:03 PM

Alan,

I thought as much. I do not think mine is out of the ordinary. I think most of these screens buzz to a certain degree....some notice it more than others. I mentioned I think I have pretty sensitive ears. Just to check I had my wife come and sit with me and as I asked she gave me a look like "are kiddding me?" She then went off to making cupcakes. I have become more comfortable with it now.

From 10ft away and the room completely quiet with no audio I can hear it but at this point for me at least it is a little nitpicky. Most of the time with audio on I will probably never pay attention to it. I also noticed that my previous plasma was mounted on the wall and my FHD1 is on a table stand about 2 feet away from the wall. This also may contribute to the sound I hear. Mine is on Save 2.

Anyhow this screen is completely amazing! I have to go out and get an amp now that I have some free time.
post #30 of 2025 Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone tried a 1080p24 input yet? I'd love to hear how it performs at 72hz using that input!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite 50 Inch Elite Plasma Hdtv Pro111fd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page