Nearly ready to buy a Samsung HP-S5053 but... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at both the samsung and the panasonic at 50inches. I have a relative with the samsung...it's a nice set. I spent at least an hour in his home playing with the settings, watching hd, sd, xbox360, dvd and so on. The Samsung does have deep enough blacks....no problem, however I had to bump up the settings quite a bit to see detail in the blacks, at that point I didn't care for the picture as much. At his home I wouldn't have complained about color temp, but in every store I looked at both displays I could not get the Samsung whites to look how I like....they were always a little pinkish to me. So, I went with the panasonic 60u. I didn't care for the silver bezel in the stores, many feel this way. However after getting it home it really looks nice on the stand I have....no complaints. The things is though, the Panny has even deeper blacks, but with amazing shadow detail. The color accuracy and temp look great to me as well. It also seemed to handle SD much better. I am really happy with my choice, everything I throw at it looks great. I went from LCD rear projection (GWIII) and couldn't be happier with this plasma.....it destroys my old set. Anyway....just my opinion. There isn't anything "wrong" with the samsung, I just really appreciate the picture more on the panny. It is really that good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma869 View Post

My issue is that they are listing brands I've never even heard of (who the heck is "AOC")!

LOL!

I was wondering the exact same thing.

PCworld basically says that the Vizio and the "AOC" 42" plasmas are better than any Panasonic, Pioneer, Fujitsu or Hitachi plasmas (there are none in this top-5 ranking).. And I quote (from PcWorld): "These are the top 42-inch Plasma TVs today"

Top 5 42" plasmas according to PcWorld:

1) Vizio P42HDTV
2) LG Electronics 42PC1DA
3) Philips 42PF9631D
4) Samsung HP-S4253
5) AOC A42HD84

Hmmm.. right

Sounds more like the "bottom-5" to me, but anyways..
post #63 of 80 Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM

Just received my Samsung 5073 or hp-s5073. I can']t give it high enough marks. FANTASTIC picture in HD, NO BUZZING (December 06 Mexico) and actually a very good SD picture too. GO GET IT, best buy in the 50" class in my opinion.
post #64 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 AM

Just ordered mine yesterday.. same TV (5053) Now I have a lot of figuring out to do.... calibrating, mounting, shelving for components, ect.
Hope its better than my current tv (32" Zenith- from 1992) lol
post #65 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 09:45 AM

All I want to say is that 2 years ago I would have laughed at anyone who said that I would buy a Samsung TV. I used to think they were the same as RCA and GE TV's

Due to glowing reviews from some calibrators I looked into some of their DLP's and were very impressed to say the least comparing pic quality and features to other sets.
I ended up buying a 61" HLS6187 (1080P) in October and hooked up to my A2 HD-DVD player I would put it against any other rear projection set out there period.
Like most people say out of the box it looked like crap. But with some minor tweaking with DVE and some suggestions from this sight the pic quality is incredible.

Now I'm looking at 42" plasma for my upstairs room that is mostly for regular TV (big screen is for movies).
I'm not looking to spend allot of $$$ so it's between the Samsung 4253 and Panasonic (??px60). They are both the same price and I have not yet looked at them. But out of the box I'm leaning toward the Samsung for 2 reasons.
1st the menu system is very much like my DLP so it will be easy for me to use. 2nd is I do not like silver TV's! If the Panasonic blows away the Samsung plasma of course I'll get the Panny. I can overlook the case if the picture is that much better but if they are close I'll most likely get the Samsung.

As for this sight, most fan boys and haters on these forums are so full of themselves and their superior "insert brand name" that it is sickening.
I would love to see how most of these idiots would do on a blind test. I would bet many would eat their words.
post #66 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe View Post

LOL!

I was wondering the exact same thing.

PCworld basically says that the Vizio and the "AOC" 42" plasmas are better than any Panasonic, Pioneer, Fujitsu or Hitachi plasmas (there are none in this top-5 ranking).. And I quote (from PcWorld): "These are the top 42-inch Plasma TVs today"

Top 5 42" plasmas according to PcWorld:

1) Vizio P42HDTV
2) LG Electronics 42PC1DA
3) Philips 42PF9631D
4) Samsung HP-S4253
5) AOC A42HD84

Hmmm.. right .............................

Sounds more like the "bottom-5" to me, but anyways..

READ it again.... they mention best VALUE... price was a factor.
post #67 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 10:41 AM

"The PC World Rating is the overall rating for a product, and results from the combined scores of four major component characteristics: features/specifications, performance, design/usability, and price."

Price was a factor in the PC World ratings.....
post #68 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Wow great job guys... instead of some insightful comments on the TV's he's looking at, you simply argue like two year olds.

I too am close to purchasing a 50 inch plasma and was looking at the S5053, as I am also weary of the Cnet review.

I had a chance to look at the set today at London Drugs and got the sales guy to hook up a regular dvd player and threw in Narnia.

The picture really did not look good, I didn't get a good chance to mess with the settings, the set also said the signal was 720x480i? so Im guessing the player wasn't set to progessive.
One thing I did notice is the issue with the dark scenes, the black looked really muddy, I guess the best explanation is kinda like when you set your desktop to 256 colors. But that could just be a result of the player or the source material.

Can any owners of this TV post about their experience with this issue?

One other thing I read in another post that the 5073 is the replacement to the 5053 and that it has an improvement in picture quality... can anyone else verify this?

thanks,

I was torn between the Panny 60U and Sammy 5053. I liked the picture of both, but the following sold me on the Sammy:

Black Bezel and cool blue light ring,
An actual Pixel Shift feature with image retention programs to sweep away if needed,
Very sharp picture, just as good as the Panny,
13 bit processor,
better gradation per pixel,

Plus the NFL only uses Sammy's....lol.

No seriously, I don't regret it one bit. DVD play back is good, SD cable is, well, sd cable. I run an Xbox 360 with HD DVD player at full resolution and it looks pretty damn sweet, especially Gears of War.

Blacks look great, almost too great, but that's what the kickin' contrast is for.

Plus, I got it for $2189.000 in OCtober, 600 less than the Panny.

I'm happy.
post #69 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
post some pics of GEARS!
post #70 of 80 Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

post some pics of GEARS!

I wll do, once CSI is over and the wife lets me play on the plasma.
post #71 of 80 Old 01-13-2007, 04:38 AM

Still waiting on mine. Was supposed to be delivered DHL yesterday??? No show. Now I gotta wait till Monday.
post #72 of 80 Old 01-13-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcal3 View Post

Now I'm looking at 42" plasma for my upstairs room that is mostly for regular TV (big screen is for movies).
I'm not looking to spend allot of $$$ so it's between the Samsung 4253 and Panasonic (??px60). They are both the same price and I have not yet looked at them. But out of the box I'm leaning toward the Samsung for 2 reasons.
1st the menu system is very much like my DLP so it will be easy for me to use. 2nd is I do not like silver TV's! If the Panasonic blows away the Samsung plasma of course I'll get the Panny. I can overlook the case if the picture is that much better but if they are close I'll most likely get the Samsung.

MY RESULTS!

I really took a hard look at these units and here is my totally unbiased review for these 2 units that are specifically for my needs.

1. Samsung S4253, adjusted to some different setting that I got from this sight. I also totally understand that both set would look different once in my room.
I loved the shape and functionality of the Samsung the best. Looks sleek and like I stated earlier that I have a 61" Samsung DLP so the menu was easy for me to navigate. Love it. The only personal thing that turned me off was how shiny the bezel/frame was. On my DLP it is a non-issue because that set is in a relatively dark room (one window w/blinds) that we dim the lights. Where my plasma is going there are 5 windows, a lighted hallway and a large glass slider. The shiny frame distracted me in the store and I know that it would do the same in my brighter than store area.
Picture quality was very good, just liked the Panny's much better.

2. Panny 42PX60U, I really don't like the look of it! I mean this set should have been all flat black. I like how the 600U looks but I'm not spending $200 more for the same picture. Cause all the extra's that the 600U provides I would not use.
Picture: I really thought the Panny had the nicest picture of the bunch. That is of all the plasma's in my price range. So much so that I just bought one 5 minutes ago.

Conclusion: Well what can I say! I was pre-biased toward the Sammy. I love their products and My Sammy DLP has incredible Pic quality. I like how the Sammy looked better; they were basically the same price. What it came down to is picture quality and the shiny frame on the Sammy that I though would be distracting in my application. My wife agreed on my assessment too which is always a good thing.

BTW, If anyone is looking for this Panasonic at a really good price check out Fry's.Com. With the free ground shipping it was the cheapest I've found on the web from a reputable sight.
post #73 of 80 Old 01-13-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Considering your usage (really bright room & primarily TV usage), I think you made the right decision. The Sammy's picture has too much dynamic range for a bright room. You can only appreciate it's black levels in a dim to dark room. In a bright room they appear to (but don't actually) drop off to black too quickly. On the other hand the Panny's black levels seem to be somewhat compressed. They look great in a bright room, but lacking (compared to a Samsung) in a dim to dark room. I assume this is a firmware thing, though maybe not. I would be interested in what Frosty's thoughts are on this matter since he had a ISF calibration. Did it improve black detail in a bright room equivalent to a Panny, or do you need a dim room to appreciate it? This is my opinion anyway, I have my set dialed in as well as possible with a DVE disc.

Jon
post #74 of 80 Old 01-17-2007, 04:34 AM

Just got my 5053 and its sweet! Even in SD it looks great. Any advice for breakin period and wall mounting, ALSO what about the settings and calibrations.
Thanks
post #75 of 80 Old 01-21-2007, 04:42 AM

This pic looks good in SD, do I really need HD? DTV wants $200 to upgrade my tivo box. I cant believe the pic quality can get better...
post #76 of 80 Old 01-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I do not currently own a plasma or any large screen display so I have no dog in this fight.

I have been looking closely for some time and have some observations.

When I began looking a couple of years ago, it was RPTVs and Samsung colors no matter how adjusted just were not right, whites always had a yellow or golden cast. This past year, however, they improved markedly and their DLP color is now excellent along with their outstanding case asthetics.

About a year ago, as I got interested in plasma, I noticed Samsung seemed to have processor problems and their pictures exhibited all sorts of artifacts. Recently I have had the priviledge/opportunity to spend some time with a couple of current xx73 model ISF calibrated Samsung displays. The PQ on these did not exhibit any of the bad artifacts I saw a year ago.

So I have observed with my own eyes that Samsung is improving very rapidly.

Are they perfect? No. I have noticed on several current models too much overscan that cuts off more picture than other brands. I don't much like this characteristic. Perhaps there is some setting that can change this? I don't know. I also noticed a tendency during action, such as basketball players breaking for the net, for the players to break up a bit as if the processor could not keep up with the action. I noticed a similar issue with the Panasonic sitting to one side of the Samsung but not on the Elite to its other side.

So for anyone that thinks Samsung cannot show aceptable shadow detail I suggest you find an ISF calibrated set and look for yourself. The BB on the East coast have a 50" Samsung ISFed and thus adjusted the Sammy looks the most natural of all the displays in the store. Samsung is sure improving rapidly.

I also liked the clarity, depth, and naturalness of the Panasonic picture on still and slowly moving scenes once I could adjust it. OOTB it is horrible. But on action, the picture lost its clarity. I am eagerly awaiting this year's new Panny processors.

I could not get hold of the remote for the Pioneers and so could not make the adjustments necesary for a comparison. As they were, the picture was too soft and the colors exagerated.

My top pick at the moment for a 50" plasma would be the NEC for its superior processing, features, and reliability.

Cheers,

Gary

P.S. Samsung is introducing a new and improved line in April. It may be worth waiting for. They are particularly working on black levels using new filter technology.
post #77 of 80 Old 01-21-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt69 View Post

This pic looks good in SD, do I really need HD? DTV wants $200 to upgrade my tivo box. I cant believe the pic quality can get better...

any HD comments..
post #78 of 80 Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

any HD comments..

its what the set was meant for.
post #79 of 80 Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 AM

yes it has an HD tuner. It is an HDTV, but I am getting an incredible SD pic, or at least it looks incredible. I guess I would have to see an tv with HD side by side to compare.
Is it possible, because it has an HD tuner, that if a TV show says broadcast in HD, that my Tv tuns the signal to HD?

Thanks, I am green to HD and plasmas.
post #80 of 80 Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yes it has an HD tuner. It is an HDTV, but I am getting an incredible SD pic, or at least it looks incredible. I guess I would have to see an tv with HD side by side to compare.
Is it possible, because it has an HD tuner, that if a TV show says broadcast in HD, that my Tv tuns the signal to HD?

Thanks, I am green to HD and plasmas.

no you would reguire a tuner card and or set top box to recieve an HD signal.
Just because the programing says HD does mean the channel is broadcasting in HD. It just means its available.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page