Samsung PDP Video Settings List - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 12-30-2006, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lets start a list of everyone's display settings for the Samsung Plasma Displays. For clarity sake it would be useful to have: model, settings, connection type and the technique used for adjustment (THX, DVE, etc.). Any general adjustment tips would be great as well. I think this will end up being a useful reference for those of us who are unhappy with the out of the box settings and are searching for something better.

Thanks in advance for participating.

Hello, my name is Shawn and I am a recovering HTIB user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 12-31-2006, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Good post, Movie Fan. Hey moderators, maybe this one should be "Sticky'd"!

I had an ISF-registered engineer perform a professional calibration on my 42" Samsung and when he was finished with his ministrations, he arbitraily pegged all of my settings at "50". It didn't matter what number he chose; it could have been 25 or 42 or 85 or whatever. When he showed me the before and after charts/graphs I was floored at just how far out of whack the factory settings really are.

A pro-cal isn't for everyone, but for those who aren't comfortable doing it themselves (like me) and really want to see what their sets are capable of displaying, it's the best 300 bucks you'll ever spend. You'll end up with a true, look-out-the-window kind of picture.

One small modification I did was to install a ropelight around the top and sides of the back of the display, to give me a modicum of backlighting. I was able to buy 6 feet of it @ Home Depot for around 10 bucks and after putting some plastic channeling around those 3 sides, the ropelight just snapped into place. I found this gave me just enough light to negate any eye fatigue when watching the set in a darkened room and when it's on, it somehow makes the set look a bit larger. No, it won't magically turn your 42 incher into 50 inches of screaming plasma pleasure, but it DOEs look a bit bigger. Go figger,,,,,.

For daytime viewing (I have a double hung window directly across from the TV), I found that by slightly tilting the set 5 degrees off it's vertical axis, I was able to eliminate any reflections that come from that window.

2 small modifications true, but they both paid off - a bargain at twice the price!

This is going to be an interesting thread - to see the range of different settings that people use - and it will graphically demonstrate that no one person's own settings will be appropriate for everyone else. We all see things a little bit differently.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #3 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Frost147

Thanks for the reply and helpful suggestions. I just might stop by the Home Depot later today to check out the rope light. Could you explain what you mean by plastic channeling (maybe even a picture).

post #4 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 09:03 AM

i would love to see these as mine is set low right now for burn in but will be hitting 100 hrs by tomorrow..
also looking into a pro cal like Frosty did
post #5 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

I'll have to post the pic later - still use a film camera and gotta get it developed first

Basically, you'll find the plastic channeling close to the ropelight in the lighting section of H.D.. It is a plastic "U" that the ropelight slides into, and is around 8 to 10 feet in length, easily cut-to-fit. The bottom of the "U" has an adhesive strip to attach to whatever you are placing the ropelight to. Not to worry - the adhesive strip comes off cleanly - no residue to worry about if you decide later to remove it.

Warning though: I found that the adhesive wasn't strong enough for this application. I also didn't want to mar or otherwise damage the back of the plasma, so I used Krazy-Glue between the adhesive and the plastic channeling - it worked like a charm and no damage to the set at all

The pre-length of the ropelight is around 6-9-12 feet depending on what size you want, so better measure the back of the unit before you purchase. I installed mine just BEHIND the leading edge of the back of the bezel, about in ch or so down. Nothing shows at all from the front of the unit. There's a rather short electrical cord with a mickey-mouse on/off switch. I supose you could plug it in so that it came on automatically when powering up the entertainment system - I'll look into that later.

Don't know if the interest is there, but I also wanted only ambient, reflected light when watching movies. You know, just enough lighting so I wouldn't trip over one of the dog's toys, or otherwise stubbing toes and doing a "Fred Astaire" across the room, arms pinwheeling along the way. So, I installed ropelight around the entire perimeter of the room, at the baseboard level. We live in an old house, with 8-10 inch high baseboards. I had to go up and over a couple of doorways, as well. I ended up getting a Dimmer switch , plugging the ropelight into that and then plugging the dimmer into the wall.

Now, I "slide" the dimmer switch from hi to low, in concert with the roaring of the lion at the start of the movies. By the time the lion is finished, the only light in the room is a faint glow from the perimeter of the room and of course, the backlighting from the plasma.

You know, for a lousy 10-spot, that dimmer gets the most laughs and attention at the beginning of each film!!

Go figger, right?

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #6 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Here are a couple of "snaps" of that ropelighting c/w the plastic channeling around the permeter of the room - will post the back of the plasma at a later date.
LL
LL

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #7 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost147 View Post

Here are a couple of "snaps" of that ropelighting c/w the plastic channeling around the permeter of the room - will post the back of the plasma at a later date.

Frost, throw up some pictures now that it's calibrated
post #8 of 63 Old 01-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Neither my photographic skills or camera equipment could ever do the picture justice, Bird-Ovum Drawers. So you'll just have to trust me that the picture is superb. I guess to get that experience you'd either have to have an invitation to come on over to my place, or pony up the $$ and git-er-done on your own set!

BTW, why don't you share your own settings with the rest of the board? I'm sure they'd like to see the numbers of a non-procal set. Might even give them a better picture, right? After all, that's what this thread is all about,,,,

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #9 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 AM

This could be an awesome thread. I have an HPS4253 that I have been tweaking with since I purchased it in June 06, and I'd be curious to try out other people's settings. I'd also like to hear more from people who have had this set ISF calibrated!
post #10 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are my numbers after running DVE on my S5053;

Contrast 77
Brightness 33
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Color Tone Normal

Picture mode was Movie

Thats as close as I can get it. Looks great in a dark room.

Jon

p.s. edited to add model number and picture model.
post #11 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Here is my numbers after running DVE;

Contrast 77
Brightness 33
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Color Tone Normal

Jon

Thanks for the settings. Please post what model you have.

post #12 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviman33 View Post

Here is my numbers after running DVE;

Contrast 77
Brightness 33
Sharpness 20
Color 50
Color Tone Normal

Jon

It's an S5053 hooked up via component cables.

Jon
post #13 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost147 View Post

BTW, why don't you share your own settings with the rest of the board? I'm sure they'd like to see the numbers of a non-procal set. Might even give them a better picture, right? After all, that's what this thread is all about,,,,

Contrast 85
Brightness 45
Sharpness 20
Color 38
Color Tone: Normal
Componnent, 720p of a Dish Network VIP622 HD DVR

As I have said before brightness and sharpness is the enemy of this set
post #14 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

One interesting thing I noticed after setting my S5053 up to the DVE disc is deep black detail. When I watch a very high quality HD content like discoveryHD and many HD movies in a dark room, the deep blacks and deep black detail just blows the Panasonic out of the water. However, when watching the same content in a normally lighted room, I see the black issue that the CNet review complains about. That being, the lack of detail in the deep blacks and drop off to black. I believe that the Samsung panel may actually be superior to the Panny panel and it's gray scale range may be so wide that it can only be appreciated when viewing in a dark room.

Just my opinion.

Jon
post #15 of 63 Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Q&A

Hi guys,

I am still breaking in my set, so I haven't calibrated it yet.
I would suggest for those that are posting their settings that they please include which picture mode they are using (i.e. dynamic, movie, custom...) as it does make a difference in picture quality. Also, does anyone know what "film mode" does?

Thanks!
post #16 of 63 Old 01-06-2007, 01:45 AM

It seems like everyone's brightness is really low for some reason. On my set when I drop the brightness below 60 I start to lose a lot of shadow detail, is there something else Im not doing right. This is usually on the HDMI inputs w/ HD Direct TV or HD DVD
post #17 of 63 Old 01-06-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandlesFTW View Post

It seems like everyone's brightness is really low for some reason. On my set when I drop the brightness below 60 I start to lose a lot of shadow detail, is there something else Im not doing right. This is usually on the HDMI inputs w/ HD Direct TV or HD DVD

What are your settings and what is the mode?
post #18 of 63 Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 AM

seems like a lot of high contrast settings..i thought contrast needed to be set low to avoid ir..???
post #19 of 63 Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM

HPS4273

I have four different modes for various viewing pleasures:

We have a really crappy digital cable company and an old box so SD tv only, but it actually looks pretty good. This is wired up via S-Video component.
Movies on DVD look GREAT and it is only a Toshiba DR5 via HDMI.
Here are my settings:

All of these have DNR and DNIe "Off"

Standard:
Contrast "50"
Brightness "50"
Sharpness "50"
Color "50"
Tint "Center"
Color Tone "Normal"

Movie:
Contrast "75"
Brightness "45"
Sharpness "40"
Color "55"
Tint "Center"
Color Tone "Warm1"

Custom:
Contrast "75"
Brightness "58"
Sharpness "55"
Color "60"
Tint "Center"
Color Tone "Normal"

Dynamic:
Contrast "85"
Brightness "50"
Sharpness "60"
Color "67"
Tint "Center"
Color Tone "Warm1"

I also use a Custom audio setting with 100Hz up "3", 300Hz down "3", 1KHz up "1", 3KHz up "2", and 10 KHz up "2" as related to the "zero" center. Auto volume is "on", and True Surround is either "on" or "off" depending on whether or not I am watching a movie with the DVD player's better fake surround sound on.
post #20 of 63 Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

What are your settings and what is the mode?

In custom my settings are normally
contrast: 79
brightness: 55-65
sharpness: 14
color: 38
normal

the combo of high contrast/low brightness does give an amazing picture on most HD broadcasts through Direct TV, but the same settings on HD DVD give mixed results. Both sources are through HDMI. Take Hulk on HD DVD for instance, the dark night-time scene where he fights the mutated dogs had me reaching for the remote and cranking up the brightness to see what was happening. The blacks were so crushed, it was ridiculous. Now there are other variables in play, however. I have my HD A1 being sent through my Pioneer Elite VSX82 before it gets to my Sammy, but I can't see how that could be causing such crushed blacks. The bright, day-time scenes are amazingly clear and detailed.
post #21 of 63 Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
In custom my settings are normally
contrast: 79
brightness: 55-65
sharpness: 14
color: 38
normal

the combo of high contrast/low brightness does give an amazing picture on most HD broadcasts through Direct TV, but the same settings on HD DVD give mixed results. Both sources are through HDMI. Take Hulk on HD DVD for instance, the dark night-time scene where he fights the mutated dogs had me reaching for the remote and cranking up the brightness to see what was happening. The blacks were so crushed, it was ridiculous. Now there are other variables in play, however. I have my HD A1 being sent through my Pioneer Elite VSX82 before it gets to my Sammy, but I can't see how that could be causing such crushed blacks. The bright, day-time scenes are amazingly clear and detailed.

I have the HP-S5053 and I know on custom settings you lose alot of detail in dark scenes it kind of crushes it but definitly makes bright scenes pop. So since I have reset my settings as follows using standard mode it has really brought the dark scenes to life example Under World Evolution just looks awesome. My settins are:

Standard
Contrast 84-85
Brightness 48-52
Sharpness 20
Color 38
Color Tone Normal
Dnei Off
DNR Off
Connection HDMI

P.S. Also noticed that using component cables you lose alot of detail also in dark scenes. I almost would need 2 different settings for when using comp. or HDMI as far as brightness goes not sure if anyone else has noticed this, it could just be my box but I have charter and dish for HD service and about the same for each box so definitly think its in the tv inputs.
post #22 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRACING View Post

I have the HP-S5053 and I know on custom settings you lose alot of detail in dark scenes it kind of crushes it but definitly makes bright scenes pop. So since I have reset my settings as follows using standard mode it has really brought the dark scenes to life example Under World Evolution just looks awesome. My settins are:

Standard
Contrast 84-85
Brightness 48-52
Sharpness 20
Color 38
Color Tone Normal
Dnei Off
DNR Off
Connection HDMI

P.S. Also noticed that using component cables you lose alot of detail also in dark scenes. I almost would need 2 different settings for when using comp. or HDMI as far as brightness goes not sure if anyone else has noticed this, it could just be my box but I have charter and dish for HD service and about the same for each box so definitly think its in the tv inputs.

Just a question for the XX53 owners...
I have the 4273 and it lets you adjust all 4 of the picture modes (standard, dynamic, movie, and custom) basically customizing all of them.
It this true for the XX53 models as well?
post #23 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes!

Jon
post #24 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRACING View Post

Standard
Contrast 84-85
Brightness 48-52
Sharpness 20
Color 38
Color Tone Normal
Dnei Off
DNR Off
Connection HDMI

I just watched Underworld Evolution on Blu Ray thru HDMI w/ the PS3 and used almost the exact settings and it looked great. Switching from Standard to the same settings on Custom you could just see the detail disappear.
post #25 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by largtr View Post

Just a question for the XX53 owners...
I have the 4273 and it lets you adjust all 4 of the picture modes (standard, dynamic, movie, and custom) basically customizing all of them.
It this true for the XX53 models as well?

Yes for the xx43 series too.

post #26 of 63 Old 01-21-2007, 09:05 PM

I have the S5053 and one thing I will say..this set has to be used with HDMI, either from a cable box or PS3 so you could see what it can really do.

I switched from HDMI to Component on my cable box and it was a big, big difference. I don't know how it could make such a huge difference but it defenitely did for me. I had to switch to Component for a few days because of an HDMI issue I'm having when switching between HDMI1 and HDMI2 but I quickly went back to HDMI. The difference was too great.

My settings are Standard:
Contrast 70
Brightness 45
Sharpness 25
Color 40
Temp Normal
DnI and all that other stuff OFF

I think it looks incredible with good HD feed and Blue Ray.
post #27 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 AM

Hey guys,
I'm buying this TV by the end of the week.

Can anyone recommend a good way to break it in?? I want to make sure I do it right.
post #28 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Bareass, check out the break-in thread at the top of this page - it'll set you on the right path.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #29 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Hi everyone. Im a new member here, more lurking than posting, and thought I would jump in.

HP-S4233 using hdmi
contrast 70
brightness 55
sharpness 43
color 44
dig nr on
dnie off
color tone warm 2
mode custom

I have directv with the hd package, and thats about all I find myself watching anymore, except for the few hd programs that come on my local channels. Wonder how long before theirs more hd channels? Great forum btw.
post #30 of 63 Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey106 View Post

Hi everyone. Im a new member here, more lurking than posting, and thought I would jump in.

HP-S4233 using hdmi
contrast 70
brightness 55
sharpness 43
color 44
dig nr on
dnie off
color tone warm 2
mode custom

I have directv with the hd package, and thats about all I find myself watching anymore, except for the few hd programs that come on my local channels. Wonder how long before theirs more hd channels? Great forum btw.

Word on the street is 100+ by the end of the year, but only time will tell. I don't even get my locals in HD in my area (SLO, CA) so I am stuck w/ about 10 HD channels. Thank god for HD DVD and Blu Ray.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page