Help! How do I get my DVD's to fill the screen?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer PDP 5070 HD Plasma and a Sony DVP-NC85H progressive DVD player.
Plasma is set to auto detect pic size even though I can still do it manualy and the DVD player is set for a 16:9 TV.

I have noticed when watching a few new DVD's that they never fill the screen unless I set the Plasma to zoom. Even on full there are still bars on the top and bottom. Pirates of the Carribean II in particular. Why is this? I thought the whole point of getting a 16:9 TV was to get rid of the top and bottom bars since the image is supposed to be the same size as the TV?

Just wondering why this is? Thanks in advance.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
16:9 is an aspect ratio of 1.78:1...pirates is most likely 2.35:1, therefore you will have bars if you watch it at the normal aspect ratio. This is very common for many movies, as they are not required to film at 16:9....there are multiple threads on this, but they may be in the general flat panel forums now....Dustin
post #3 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
how in the world could someone that registered on this forum in the year 2001 possibly be asking this question...its had to have been covered on here at least 1000 times...
post #4 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes you are correct, Pirates is 2:35:1. So my only option is zoom then? Is there a way to fill the screen without zoom as zoom cuts
off the sides I have noticed. It also says that it is enhanced for 16:9 tv's? What exactly does this mean enhanced??

Thanks,
Paul
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
OMG...look dude, just watch it with the black bars. its the way its supposed to be, live with it. i have watched 2.35:1 movies on my 5070 for 6 months and have no burn-in. just make sure you watch other programming that is full screen and youll be fine.

enhanced means that on 16:9 tv's the dvd is encoded so that a normal picture will be shown that will go edge to edge on the screen. if it wasnt enhanced, there would be black bars on the sides as well as on the top and bottom for a 2.35:1 movie.

can we please end this thread now. i hope your question is answered here and for the post you made in the 5070 thread.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page