Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

Sorry.Didn't mean to step on any toes.
I'm sure yours looks great!

I was referring more to the overwelming reviews and praise this set has achieved. It is one of the best plasma's on the market, so they are using one of the best plasmas to compare against. By saying it is nothing to compare against really isn't founded. The Pioneeer elite probably only has more critical acclaim. This of course is based on postings on here, and reviews on line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
VFR
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it at all possible the 6070 in the demo is adjusted to make the new panel look better?

Nothing to do with the potential of the 6070 but everything to do with the 6070 in the photo.

Again,I'm sure yours looks great!

Edit:this and the other post sounds a little sarcastic,not meant to be.I agree the 6070 is a great panel but don't believe the photo shows a properly set up 6070.
post #363 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Can't we keep this discussion about Pioneer's new technology and not how great someone thinks SED is, or how bad they think Pioneer is. Stay on track, these SED trolls are pathetic, go post in the SED thread, and wait another year for your technology to be delayed again.

You are right, SED folks shouldn't hijack this thread, but Pioneer themselves are the ones who fired the first shot across the bow by announcing their new plasma as a SED killer.

one a see a plasma that looks like this I will be sold.
LL
post #364 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

I saw Pioneer's "Super Plasma" at CES - here's a link to my impressions.

"Super Plasma" Review

Thanks for posting your review. Did they demonstrate it with both the lights off and on, and if so, what were your impressions of how it performed when the lights were turned up?. It sure does sound very promising for those of us who are looking for a product that has a good chance of coming to market within the next year, and are not totally in denial about Elvis SEDley having died on the Crapper, and just want to keep making annual pilgrimages to Saving FaceLand.
post #365 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

They may be enough to blow YOU away; for me they still obviously glow.

Um....you do know that light sources (flash...lamps..etc) in a pic can make it 'seem' that way, right?

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #366 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the big question for me will be how much of a premium will we have to pay for the new technology. If it within 20% of the current models pricing that would be fine. However, if it is 50%-75% more, then....
post #367 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

If that is the 6070 on the left, and the 8th gen is that much better than the 6070 (both of which look bad in the photo) then it must be amazing, because in my house, the 6070 does not glow. It is very close to blending in with the bezel. Now, when the whole screen is black or dark scene, you can see a difference between the bezel and the screen, but when you're watching a show like Star Wars in 2.35:1, the black lines at the top and bottom nearly disappear into the bezel, which is so nice to not be distracted by them like I am on my NEC and was on my Hitachi.

yes, it is the 6070 on the left, and YES, it was no comparison!

like I posted earlier, it was a thing of marvel....even the sony rep sitting beside me said in a low voice "un oh"
post #368 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post

like I posted earlier, it was a thing of marvel....even the sony rep sitting beside me said in a low voice "un oh"

I'm no Sony fanboy, but why in the world would Sony be in awe of a Pioneer plasma when they are working on something so vastly superior to plasma its not even funny.

I don't find your statements credible at all.
post #369 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I'm no Sony fanboy, but why in the world would Sony be in awe a Pioneer plasma, they are working on something so vastly superior to plasma its not even funny.

Oh you mean that OLED bastardized 27" TFT backed hybrid. Sony always has to do things different.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #370 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Too funny.

Wouldn't you have like to have been a bug on their wall when they later discussed it?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #371 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if they were calibrated equally, and the difference was that extreme, that is going to be one great set. Unfortunately, I won't be upgrading for another 5-10 years from my 6070...

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #372 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

SED is like the really cool friend that you always make awesome weekend plans with - but never fails to blow you off at the last minute, time after time.

Or in SED's case, year after year.

that quote makes your Pioneer review less-than-credible, in my view.

True colors.
post #373 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your very credible eyewitness report. Did you have a chance to see it demonstrated with the room lights on , and if so, how did it perform under thoses conditions. Sorry about having your credibility challenged on this thread by one person who is totally captivated by a display technology that he has actually never seen. So, in his bizarre universe, you having seen a Pio plasma makes you "uncredible" but him not having seen either the Pio Plasma, or the technology that he is obsessed with, makes him the King of Crediability.
post #374 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Thanks for your very credible eyewitness report. Did you have a chance to see it demonstrated with the room lights on , and if so, how did it perform under thoses conditions. Sorry about having your credibility challenged on this thread by one person who is totally captivated by a display technology that he has actually never seen. So, in his bizarre universe, you having seen a Pio plasma makes you "uncredible" but him not having seen either the Pio Plasma, or the technology that he is obsessed with, makes him the King of Crediability.

You gave him some of that Guinness, didn't you.

My HT

post #375 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=tdavis21484]SED is like the really cool friend that you always make awesome weekend plans with - but never fails to blow you off at the last minute, time after time.

Or in SED's case, year after year.
/QUOTE]

You kept to your plan, and attended CES. You were going to make sure that you got to see the SED 1080P demonstration. Toshiba/Canon did blow off CES at the last minute. Glad that you were able to see the Pio Plasma and report on it. At least you did have a decent date, while others are still just mooning over their undelivered mail order SEDuctress.
post #376 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Auditor, what exactly is so great about Sony's OLED tv? What exactly is great about Sony anyway, I mean they are basically the Pioneer of LCD tv's. Sony having superior tech? Puhleeaze. They havent had superior tech since Qualia and that was a huge flop. Look Sony makes a fantastic and overpriced LCD. That's just about it. Like I said earlier, when they can increase PQ and black level and minimize lag and response time to the point of irrelevancy, then yea, we can give Sony some props. Till then, all they have done is help propogate a pointless DVD format war and release overpriced tv's.
post #377 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

I really want to know how you can project 'true black'

You can't if there's any bright content on the screen. That's why Projectors have such low ANSI contrart ratios. But on an all black... screen, or a really dark scene it is possible to project something close to it.

At least for the best DLPs/CRT projectors.

That's why whenever you see a bright scene... from a trailer for example and you see black bars on the top and bottom, it looks hideously yellow hued gray.

On a dark scene you'll see a pretty good black. Luckily, theaters don't have black bars in their theaterical features.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
post #378 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are right, SED folks shouldn't hijack this thread, but Pioneer themselves are the ones who fired the first shot across the bow by announcing their new plasma as a SED killer.

This plasma doesn't have to kill SED. As great as SED is... It's painfully obvious that SED is going to kill itself. Or atleast Toshiba and Canon will. And take that hideous jpg out! Ugh, those things look disgusting when the lights are on.

post #379 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

From the Pioneer website:

Those black levels just blow me away!

That's a horrible picture. As said, you can tell by the highlighted hair from behind the cloud that there was a flash used.

In any kind of direct light like that any TV would look horrific in black... except for LCD tech. CRTs, would look exactly like the picture on the left. Even SED, which boarders on current plasma/CRT tech would look gray.

The fact that the plasma on the right is holding it's contrast is great. Put your current plasmas or CRTS in direct sunlight and then tell me that one on the right is not impressive.

post #380 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforce007 View Post

Auditor, what exactly is so great about Sony's OLED tv? What exactly is great about Sony anyway, I mean they are basically the Pioneer of LCD tv's. Sony having superior tech? Puhleeaze. They havent had superior tech since Qualia and that was a huge flop. Look Sony makes a fantastic and overpriced LCD. That's just about it. Like I said earlier, when they can increase PQ and black level and minimize lag and response time to the point of irrelevancy, then yea, we can give Sony some props. Till then, all they have done is help propogate a pointless DVD format war and release overpriced tv's.

Off topic, but Sony is too busy worring about PS3s not selling rather then what Pioneer is putting out.

OLEDs seem to be too far away to of any concern for these newer Pioneers.

post #381 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek View Post

that quote makes your Pioneer review less-than-credible, in my view.

True colors.

Too bad it's nothing but a true statement as well. Most recent news? Canon and Toshiba go their seperate ways.

That can't be good news no?

post #382 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems unusual the turn in this thread. You'd think these SED pushers would at least be glad, or happy.

Unless SED has any financial profit towards them... why would you not be happy of news like this? Sure, we have NO CONCRETE evidence of it's performance. (Beyond people who saw it themselves)

But besides one review, everyone else said they were as impressed with the demo vs. SED. These are videophiles, very concerned videophiles at that. Now we can argue how biased these reviews are, and whether or not you should take them seriously...

But the bottom line are the reports are there. Pioneer doesn't usually go way off on their contrast ratios, and their black level claims. There are pictures that obviously show that the 'black' is entirely possible... regardless of whether the camera or the footage itself seems crushed.

(I don't think it's easy to take a picture in the complete dark and capture all little crannies of detail in the black)

This is nothing but good news. If Pioneer is successful, then SED waiters won't have to wait to get that type of CRT performance from a flat panel! That's nothing but good news to me!

And if you really really really want SED... or you just love Toshiba or Canon, this announcement and success would only lead SED to put out an even more valiant effort, putting all the stops to make their tech appear and be succesful.

Competition is never bad. It's as if there's some threat to their dream has been realized. Not only do I feel that THAT is silly, but this is a win win situation IMO.

post #383 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm no Sony fanboy, but why in the world would Sony be in awe of a Pioneer plasma when they are working on something so vastly superior to plasma its not even funny.

where you at CES?
where you in the room???
did you see the display?
did you see what sony had out on display other than a buncha 12' and 16" OLEDs, and one single 22" OLED?

you people crack me up.....some anonymous guy online calling most of us that actually saw the demo "not credible"

Yes, the sony rep, which I didn't know at the time was a sony rep until we were chatting afterwards, did say "uh oh"...... we talked afterwards and he also mentioned several technologies down the pipe, etc, but nevertheless he was just as impressed as the rest of us.

I don't give two sh!ts if it was Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, or Honduran Dogsh!t central Inc. who made that display and that demo, but it was very impressive nonetheless........so before you continue on your idiotic tirades about credibility, you should build some yourself.

christ, people like you are turning this place into complete waste...this place is becoming worst than the subwoofer forum!

Quote:

no worries Greenland....I can tell the type from a mile away.

the demo consisted of them showing a 7 min or so demo with only the new panel, with the lights nearly completely off at first and gradually changing them into brighter settings. Then the pio rep talked a bit, and then they demo'd certain scenes of said video on both sets to show the differences....THIS is were you really get a great idea.

as good as the current 6070 is (or the elite's or panny's 600U and pro series or Fujitisu's, NEC's, etc), once you see side by side what both of these units were doing, it becomes fairly obvious.

Speaking of the Sony rep, pretty cool young guy, and we chatted also about the SXRD being the same demo (thin 55" rptv, etc) from last year, and he basically said that they had their hands in several areas of "higher priority" such as continuing advancement in OLED, etc.

I expect Panny to come up with something close (if not better) than the Pio new technology soon, and this means one and one thing only: Better products at better prices for us consumers!
post #384 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

SED's Dead, Baby. SED's Dead.

Quote:

post #385 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

where you at CES?
where you in the room???
did you see the display?
did you see what sony had out on display other than a buncha 12' and 16" OLEDs, and one single 22" OLED?

you people crack me up.....some anonymous guy online calling most of us that actually saw the demo "not credible": rolleyes:

Yes, the sony rep, which I didn't know at the time was a sony rep until we were chatting afterwards, did say "uh oh"...... we talked afterwards and he also mentioned several technologies down the pipe, etc, but nevertheless he was just as impressed as the rest of us.

I don't give two sh!ts if it was Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, or Honduran Dogsh!t central Inc. who made that display and that demo, but it was very impressive nonetheless........so before you continue on your idiotic tirades about credibility, you should build some yourself.

christ, this place is becoming worst than the subwoofer forum!

Very funny and that is very true.

It seems alot of people are picking and choosing what to call credible and what to not call credible. It happens all the time in this forum and there's always a biasness everywhere in terms of tech and name.

SED pushers seem to forget that their tech isn't even out yet... and doesn't seem like it's coming very soon, yet will continue to live off of that demo they saw years ago for their arguements.

I see it all the time. Pio vs. Panny. SED vs. OLED. Sony vs. the world. It's just truly silly. A good picture is a good picture.

post #386 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I expect Panny to come up with something close (if not better) than the Pio new technology soon, and this means one and one thing only: Better products at better prices for us consumers!

AGREED!

post #387 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Spoken by someone who's actually against a technology that he know is superior to plasma in every way.
post #388 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Good lord

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #389 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:

where you at CES?
where you in the room???
did you see the display?

you people crack me up.....some anonymous guy online calling most of us that actually saw the demo "not credible"

christ, people like you are turning this place into complete waste...this place is becoming worst than the subwoofer forum!

no worries Greenland....I can tell the type from a mile away.

the demo consisted of them showing a 7 min or so demo with only the new panel, with the lights nearly completely off at first and gradually changing them into brighter settings. Then the pio rep talked a bit, and then they demo'd certain scenes of said video on both sets to show the differences....THIS is were you really get a great idea.

as good as the current 6070 is (or the elite's or panny's 600U and pro series or Fujitisu's, NEC's, etc), once you see side by side what both of these units were doing, it becomes fairly obvious.

Speaking of the Sony rep, pretty cool young guy, and we chatted also about the SXRD being the same demo (thin 55" rptv, etc) from last year, and he basically said that they had their hands in several areas of "higher priority" such as continuing advancement in OLED, etc.

Again, here's what Rogo said, he gave his impressions of the reglossed Pioneer plasma you keep raving over.

Quote:

"Now the Pioneer wasn't at all terrible in shadow detail, but it just didn't seem to offer truly mind-boggling contrast in the absolute. It absolutely blows away what Pioneer offers today, I'm just not sure where it stands vs. every other display that will ship in 2007. "

Now sir we know you are pro Pioneer and because that you are bias, and if you are bias your credibility automatically comes in question.
post #390 of 5892 Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Spoken by someone who's actually against a technology that he know is superior to plasma in every way.

Do you by chance also think flying cars and personal rocket packs are coming out for sale anytime soon?
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page