8G Pioneer plasmas - 80% lower black levels! - Page 197 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
post #5881 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM
jfz
Senior Member
 
jfz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me if either the 5080 or 1150 (the Elite 720 version) have *variable* audio outputs? I have an amplifier, but no preamp, receiver, or integrated amp (i.e. no way to control volume). Thanks!
jfz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5882 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
vtms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

Um.... 110% better...?

Is the difference that big? Is that more or less of a consensus around here?
vtms is offline  
post #5883 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtms View Post

Is the difference that big? Is that more or less of a consensus around here?

I just tossed out a number. I believe the general consensus is, the blacks are much much better. Meaning color purity is much much better. Meaning saturation is much much better. Meaning a more color crushed and deeper picture. Mean a much more 3-D picture.

For me, the 5080 is the much better buy, PQ wise and value wise. Although I was one of the ones who saw it calibrated and loved the Pro-FHD1. Consensus around here will tell you the same thing.

So unless you feel the need (placebo or not) for 1080p... the 5080 is the winner.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #5884 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
vtms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 997
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

I just tossed out a number. I believe the general consensus is, the blacks are much much better. Meaning color purity is much much better. Meaning saturation is much much better. Meaning a more color crushed and deeper picture. Mean a much more 3-D picture.

For me, the 5080 is the much better buy, PQ wise and value wise. Although I was one of the ones who saw it calibrated and loved the Pro-FHD1. Consensus around here will tell you the same thing.

So unless you feel the need (placebo or not) for 1080p... the 5080 is the winner.

Okay, thanks. As long as blacks are really black and grayscale is awesome, I really don't care if the set is 1080p or not.
vtms is offline  
post #5885 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
tonydeluce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Tony, Rogo has pretty much withdrawn from AVS, so he hasn't commented on the actual production models to the best of my knowledge. He's still around, but not nearly to the degree that he had been. I know for a fact he too got fed up with some of the garbage that's permeated AVS and that we've seen recently on the Pioneer threads. I can't say I blame him.

Yes, he seemed to be battling it out with some LCOS fanatics in the Front Projector Forum right before he stopped posting as frequently..

He was/is a good defender of truth rather than hype and fiction - too bad...

 

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3
 

tonydeluce is offline  
post #5886 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
valoidr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.S.
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sma View Post

nope, not that I saw in the 5080/4280 owner's manual or spec sheet softcopies.

The only spot the CR was published was a Pioneer news "flash"? (16k:1 dynamic)

dv
valoidr is offline  
post #5887 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 12:20 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrulez View Post

He's distorting facts. Pretty much he's questioning people's integrity that has knowledge well beyond his when it comes to displays.

HDTV Test's Vincent actaully funds his own review site. And Mr. Auditor is trying to rip his integrity? Not cool.

Jeff, (UMR) a well respected calibrator on the forums is also giving good feedback. Apparently Pioneer is paying him off too. It's ridiculous. He's ripping people that are helping out... just to get his view across.

The first person that 'attacks the Kuros', isn't labled 'a hack'. It's a strange strange way of debate. I guess anything for the sake of pleasing his own inner-voice.


I did not rip Jeff. I'm just very skeptical of media hacks, they are typically front runners. Today its the 8g the next day its the Samsung and after that its Sony, or who's dishing out the most in adverstising $$$.

Many of their reviews are tainted because of the advertisement dollars paid to them by the manufacturers.

They are not professional reviewers, there is no such thing as that. They are more like propagandist. Many of them are fanboys just like us.

They are not video display experts or scientist. Someone like Dr. Raymond Soneira, who is an expert, demands far greater respect than A/V propagandists. He has an operation totally independent of display manufacturers, no advertisment dollars come in to him. When he had his Lcos display technology shootout, Sony was so afraid of him that they refused to participate.

Many of the A/V propagandist are no different than a movie reviewer/film critic, wine tasters, sports writers and commentators.

Some of you act as though you really need their approval, you really eat up what they have say about the your favorite brand of TV.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #5888 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydeluce View Post

Yes, he seemed to be battling it out with some LCOS fanatics in the Front Projector Forum right before he stopped posting as frequently..

He was/is a good defender of truth rather than hype and fiction - too bad...

We really need him here now.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #5889 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
 
Auditor55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Posts: 8,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

No Auditor, for TROLLING...just like you. If you have no intention of buying a Pioneer, why do you feel compelled to destroy Pioneer threads. I have asked you this before and you never respond. Is it something you have no control over or do voices tell you to do it?

To you dissent is trolling. Can't we have an open discussion about the 8g, pro and con?


BTW, I don't post in the 8g/Kuro owners thread. Isn't the owners threads typically started for those who are seeking helpful tips about their display. I thought this thread was for the purpose of having an open discussion on the 8g.

I notice whenever somone starts thread that even suggest purchasing a display over the 8g or offers mild criticism, some of you folks find your way to that thread to remind people how foolish they are to even think about a picking a display over the 8g.

When others give you a reason why, say for example, they might choose a Samsung or a Panasonic over a 8g some of you start acting as if something is wrong with them, because they don't share the same zeal you have over the 8g.
Auditor55 is offline  
post #5890 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
johnnybrulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I did not rip Jeff. I'm just very skeptical of media hacks, they are typically front runners. Today its the 8g the next day its the Samsung and after that its Sony, or who's dishing out the most in adverstising $$$.

Many of their reviews are tainted because of the advertisement dollars paid to them by the manufacturers.

They are not professional reviewers, there is no such thing as that. They are more like propagandist. Many of them are fanboys just like us.

They are not video display experts or scientist. Someone like Dr. Raymond Soneira, who is an expert, demands far greater respect than A/V propagandists. He has an operation totally independent of display manufacturers, no advertisment dollars come in to him. When he had his Lcos display technology shootout, Sony was so afraid of him that they refused to participate.

Many of the A/V propagandist are no different than a movie reviewer/film critic, wine tasters, sports writers and commentators.

Some of you act as though you really need their approval, you really eat up what they have say about the your favorite brand of TV.

And if SED was being praised by these same 'hacks"... I assume your tune wouldn't change? And these 'reviewers' aren't any justification. Just reitteration to what has been seen.

I don't know what I am doing! AHHHHHHH!!!!
johnnybrulez is offline  
post #5891 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ken Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: N.Y.
Posts: 23,211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 560
[/quote]To you dissent is trolling. Can't we have an open discussion about the 8g, pro and con? [/quote]

Auditor, I'll say one last thing to you in this post. Dissenting with objective remarks, that make sense, that are to at least some degree 'provable' is welcome. However, your comments are nothing but hyperbole. You say things like 'they don't live up to the hype'. This is particulary amusing when several of the reviews specifically stated they DO live up to the hype.

There is no 'discussion' with guys like you. Why? Because whenever something is posted, whether it's a review from a pro (yes, a PRO) or an owner, you have some reason as to why it shouldn't be accepted and why it's really meaningless. Now please don't tell me you discount owner's reports because they're 'biased'. If you do, I'll tell you right off the bat they were NOT owners right before they decided to purchase these displays. Nobody forced them to buy an 8g Pioneer. They bought them because they felt they had the best pictures by far of any flat panels out there. ALL the reviews thus far have agreed. So what's the point of this discussion when you dismiss any favorable comment from owner or reviewer of these new Pioneers? That's not a 'discussion' Auditor, that's a 'setup'. You are so obviously obsessed with SED, there is no way in God's green earth you can display any degree of objectivity. You will cull threw tons of posts to find ONE that can 'support' your argument. The overwhelming, 99.9% majority of other glowing reports, are simply dismissed by you. That's not objectivity Auditor, that's insanity.

Referring to your esteemed Dr. is absurd....totally absurd. Did he review the 8g Pioneers. Did he SEE the 8g Pioneers. Why do I care about him? Until you show me HIS review of these panels and specifics as to why he thinks they're inferior, please don't bring his name into this discussion because it is 100% entirely meaningless.

[/quote]
I notice whenever somone starts thread that even suggest purchasing a display over the 8g or offers mild criticism, some of you folks find your way to that thread to remind people how foolish they are to even think about a picking a display over the 8g.

When others give you a reason why, say for example, they might choose a Samsung or a Panasonic over a 8g some of you start acting as if something is wrong with them, because they don't share the same zeal you have over the 8g.[/quote]

I have never said that I have never done that. If you are mistaking someone's sincere opinion that the new Pioneers are better than anything else out there, so be it. Are we supposed to tell people 'yeah, go with the Samsung, I think it's much better', just to satisfy you? But our opinions of the new Pioneers have been backed up 100%, without exception, by any review thus far. Every time Auditor, every time. Don't tell me these guys are all paid off by Pioneer, you're embarrassing yourself again. Do you realize how foolish it is to suggest that they do this at the expense of losing advertising dollars from FAR bigger TV manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung, Panasonic etc. that they have 'insulted' in the process? Do you even stop for a second to think about things like this?

As I said Auditor, this is my last post to you on this. There is simply no discussing an issue objectively with you when it gets in the way of your beloved SED.
Ken Ross is offline  
post #5892 of 5892 Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Moderator
 
Woodrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 6,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Woodrow is offline  
Closed Thread Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off