top brand plasma comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wanted to kind of consolidate the pro's and cons of the top brand plasmas, mainly the 42 and 50 inch ones so that people wont have to read the 125 pages on each one. Ill put down what I've found so far, and people can add or subtract whatever they know.

Panasonic 60u, 600u, and 6u series (xxpx60u, xxpx600u, and xxpx60u)

pro's
- great quality picture
- great price

con's
- purple snakes issue on a reported (from another thread) 65% of 37" and 42" models. This might be a high or low estimate. please refer to this post before posting here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=765341
if you doubt this problem.

- banding issues: horizontal banding/ghosting with uniform backgrounds overlaid with high-contrast items. Clearly seen when the STB is displaying the tv-guide.

Pioneer 5070HD

pro's
- best picture quality
- great SD PQ

con's
- price is more expensive then the others (prices have been recently reduced to much closer to the other brands, but still aprox 20% more)
- warranty only from authorized pioneer dealers

Samsung s5053

pro's
- good picture quality (as good as panasonic?)
- sleek black design

con's
- buzzing issue

Philips 9631D models

Pro's
- Great prices (especially the new 1080p 63" model coming out in june)
- Ambilight

Con's
- Seems to me they're discontinuing the 50" 9631d model
- not as good picture quality as the other 3

This is just a start to what I think could be a very beneficial thread for people trying to make a decision on which brand to buy. I'll edit this as people give me suggestions. If you want more brands on here, thats cool too, just post some information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmin View Post

I wanted to kind of consolidate the pro's and cons of the top brand plasmas, mainly the 42 and 50 inch ones so that people wont have to read the 125 pages on each one. Ill put down what I've found so far, and people can add or subtract whatever they know.

Panasonic 60u, 600u, and 6u series (xxpx60u, xxpx600u, and xxpx60u)

pro's
- great quality picture
- great price

con's
- purple snakes issue on most 42" models
- banding issues?

1) purple snakes issue on most 42" models: I never saw any of this on my 42PX600U. I did read the thread about those, but it does not apply to my particular set.

2) banding issues: yes . horizontal banding/ghosting/whatever we want to call it with uniform backgrounds overlaid with high-contrast items. I see it clearly when my STB is displaying the tv-guide. However, I don't see any banding when viewing normal TV material.
post #3 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

great thanks for the input, lets keep it coming
post #4 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

great thanks for the input, lets keep it coming

This thread is a good idea. It will not be complete (or worthy) without a good summary of the NEC, possisbly the best competitively priced display out today.

Cheers,

Gary
post #5 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

This thread is a good idea. It will not be complete (or worthy) without a good summary of the NEC, possisbly the best competitively priced display out today.

Cheers,

Gary

I haven't seen or read anything on the NEC brand plasmas, maybe you could write something up and post it and I'll add it.
post #6 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- purple snakes issue on a reported 65% of 37" and 42" models
- banding issues: horizontal banding/ghosting with uniform backgrounds overlaid with high-contrast items. Clearly seen when the STB is displaying the tv-guide.

These are your facts?

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #7 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

elemental1, unless you have something constructive to say (which is never) go bugger off. I've read your useless posts in other peoples posts and have no use for them here.
post #8 of 52 Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 PM

Liked: 13
Pioneer 5070HD

pro's
- best picture quality
- great SD PQ

con's
- price is more expensive then the others
- warranty only from authorized pioneer dealers

There is a reason why the price is more expensive. And trust me it is a good thing that you can only buy from an authorized dealer to have the warranty and not from anyone out there in the internet world.
post #9 of 52 Old 01-13-2007, 08:19 PM

Believe I've narrowed selection for a 50" monitor to either the Pioneer PDP507CMX or the NECPX50xr6. Not sure that I will use the expandablilty of the pioneer, aware that the NEC warranty(?and customer service) is slightly better. Anticipate ~75% TV viewing(?50%HD)/25% dvd-HDMI. Grateful for any advice/input on other pros/cons of these 2 units.
post #10 of 52 Old 01-13-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
That 65% figure for affected Panny units is downright SILLY! The 65% figure comes from the very small number of people that actually voted on the forum. I bet if the other THOUSANDS of satisfied and unaffected owners were to vote then this 65% number would drop to like .065%. The power of the internet....

Whatever though, go for the PAYoneer. Its no better than any of the other top brands but costs more for NO tangible reason. Kind of like Sony LCD's huh?
post #11 of 52 Old 01-13-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

elemental1, unless you have something constructive to say (which is never) go bugger off. I've read your useless posts in other peoples posts and have no use for them here.

Guess what, too bad if you don't like when you get called on a bunch of BS facts.
Get a clue first before you start stating facts.

My HT

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #12 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

Guess what, too bad if you don't like when you get called on a bunch of BS facts.
Get a clue first before you start stating facts.

To be fair, Elemental1, I will say that what the OP has stated as facts (for the panny anyways), are exactly that. When many people come forward and confirm (with pictures on top of that) that they have a similar issue with their displays, I believe that the status of the information moves from "rumor" or "one case incident" to "fact". Although, I agree that not everyone will be affected, and the facts should not be generalized and applied to the whole plasma or LCD technology.

Lets keep this thread constructive
post #13 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe View Post

To be fair, Elemental1, I will say that what the OP has stated as facts (for the panny anyways), are exactly that. When many people come forward and confirm (with pictures on top of that) that they have a similar issue with their displays, I believe that the status of the information moves from "rumor" or "one case incident" to "fact". Although, I agree that not everyone will be affected, and the facts should not be generalized and applied to the whole plasma or LCD technology.

Lets keep this thread constructive

Look, 65% is just flat out wrong.
His facts are way off and I called him on it.
He got mad because he knows I have his number.
I didn't think questioning his facts was not contructive.

My HT

post #14 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

basically elemental your saying you have no clue how to read and have a very hard time comprehending the english language. I said a "reported 65%" which is exactly what the other thread says. If you look closely at the other thread, you make many attempts to derail it by saying that people are wrong about what they see on their tvs. Just because you are totally in love with panasonic, doesn't mean you have to start making up lies to keep the truth from being released. Go spread your crap somewhere else.

the point of this thread is to share the possible dangers of each brand so people know what they are getting into before they buy the tvs. It's like the side effects of drugs that they advertise on TV. I want all the dirt from all the main brands so you are totally aware of what "could" happen, not what deffinately will happen.

Elemental1 I know its really hard, but try to read and fully comprehend the words on the page before you post something immature, stupid, and false
post #15 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 PM
YTV

Quote:

con's
- purple snakes issue on a reported 65% of 37" and 42" models

65% ??? Cmon now, Im sure its not even close to 5%. You should really delete that and not spread mis-information to potential customers.
post #16 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

please refer to this post if you don't believe me. I have never seen so many reported problems with a tv from any brand.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=765341
post #17 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

once again people this post is to bring attention to the possible problems of the tvs so you are FULLY aware when you buy one what could happen. If you don't want to hear about possible problems of your special baby you just bought so you dont have buyers remorse, then don't read this post and simply move along without posting. If you have some other well know problem with a major brand of tv, please post it and I'll update my list.

The reported 65% is from another post that is not mine. I will edit it to say this so everyone can go attack them and not me.
post #18 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 06:54 PM

your comments about the cons regarding the 5070 need to be revised-with new lower prices, the pio is now not more expensive than the others-just better-how can you beat that? YOU CAN'T -PIO 5070 WINS
post #19 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 07:36 PM

I just bought a 42PX600 which replaced a two year old Panny ED set. There is nothing the ED set does better. All aspects of picture quality is better on the 42PX600. I have seen the purple snake issue, but only on SD channels with white backgrounds.

There are many that say Panny is over rated and there are some that say Pioneer is over rated. I know they are both great sets. I am watching Brothers and Sisters at the moment and I think the picture quality of the 42PX600 is stunning. Regardless of the purple snake issue, I can highly recommend this TV.

For the prices that Panny's are selling for, I would not consider Samsung.
post #20 of 52 Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 PM
YTV

Quote:

please refer to this post if you don't believe me. I have never seen so many reported problems with a tv from any brand.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=765341

LOLOLOLOLOL, so your basing 65% of sets are having this problem, because of a 9 page thread on 1 message board? You do realize 95%+ of plasma owners have never been on this board right? You also realize that 95% of people who DONT have this problem who DO come to this board most likely never even posted in that thread to say their TV is fine right?
post #21 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlittle View Post

your comments about the cons regarding the 5070 need to be revised-with new lower prices, the pio is now not more expensive than the others-just better-how can you beat that? YOU CAN'T -PIO 5070 WINS

thanks for your update, this is the kind of stuff I'm looking for in this thread.

Until panasonic fixes the purple snakes, its the biggest problem there is about those tv's, and people who do diligent research should know about it. Also the 65% is a reported 65% which means, of the peopel who come to this forum and say they have or do not have this problem, 65% (at least) say they do. Of the people who dont come to this forum, we really have no way of knowing either way. Most likely, they don't even see anything wrong with their tv's, which is great for them. I'm trying to bring to light the possible dangers of each tv, not bash on the different vendors.
post #22 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTV View Post

LOLOLOLOLOL, so your basing 65% of sets are having this problem, because of a 9 page thread on 1 message board? You do realize 95%+ of plasma owners have never been on this board right? You also realize that 95% of people who DONT have this problem who DO come to this board most likely never even posted in that thread to say their TV is fine right?

And to top it off all the pictures shown on that thread are from 1 or 2 peoples tvs. I will say at most 5 or 6 people on that thread have stepped up and claimed they have the problem. It seems like they are trying to make it out like every panny has this problem. I will say I have a 42px60 and do not exibit this problem. I am not saying there was a batch made with a faulty part that is causing this on some sets, but 65% is just rediculous. I spent many many hours in many different stores researching plasmas before I bought, and none of the pannys in the stores exibited this problem either. I would really like to see how many people don't have the purple snakes.
post #23 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

jesus guys, i said a reported 65%. that means that of the people on the boards who took a poll on another thread, 65% said they experienced the problem and 35% said they never had the problem. I'm not saying 65% of all of them have it. Also I'm sure a ton of people have the problem and don't notice it, as it only shows up on very specific types of screens.
post #24 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Spare us the excuses of your sloppy 'fact' reporting.
I see NOW that you edited your 65% to pretend you didn't pass along info from the rumor mill.
Check your facts before you report them
All the Panasonic cons are wrong.
Please get a clue and try paying attention to all the owners of the products you are reporting about.

My HT

post #25 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Kindly let the guy establish his thread, without a lot of sidetracking posts. I like his idea of consolidating some of the reported pros and cons about different brands and models into a succicent thread. It will provide a very helpful guide to potential purchasers on what to consider and what potential problems to be on the look out for. Regarding the purple snakes issue. The percentage figure is not worth arguing over. The fact that some people have reported that they have encountered it on their plasma makes it something that people should be on the look out for. They do not have to look to see if 65 out a hundred have the problem, but just be on the look out that the one they buy does or does not. Argue the merits of the reported problems or benefits of each set on the respective threads, and not here. Let him get the bloody thing off the ground please.
post #26 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Kindly let the guy establish his thread, without a lot of sidetracking posts. I like his idea of consolidating some of the reported pros and cons about different brands and models into a succicent thread. It will provide a very helpful guide to potential purchasers on what to consider and what potential problems to be on the look out for. Regarding the purple snakes issue. The percentage figure is not worth arguing over. The fact that some people have reported that they have encountered it on their plasma makes it something that people should be on the look out for. They do not have to look to see if 65 out a hundred have the problem, but just be on the look out that the one they buy does or does not. Argue the merits of the reported problems or benefits of each set on the respective threads, and not here. Let him get the bloody thing off the ground please.

I don't think any one here has an issue with the idea of the thread but rumors are useless to everybody.
There is a big difference in saying 'a reported 65%' and 'some have reported'.

My HT

post #27 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental1 View Post

I don't think any one here has an issue with the idea of the thread but rumors are useless to everybody.

Great: On with thread, and fight what you perceive to be rumors where they are started. He is just extracting from existing threads and not starting rumors. People are reporting about having problems with what they have titled the Purple Snake issue. He is just pointing that out. If people have a question or suggestion on how best to modify one of his posts, such as the merits of citing 65%, we can always do so by PM to him, instead of killing the messenger. Let him get started please.
post #28 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM

Wow! Where did you get this list of "top" plasma TVs?

BluRay titles - 46 and counting
BluRay players - PS3 and BDP-S1
post #29 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great: On with thread, and fight what you perceive to be rumors where they are started. He is just extracting from existing threads and not starting rumors. People are reporting about having problems with what they have titled the Purple Snake issue. He is just pointing that out. If people have a question or suggestion on how best to modify one of his posts, such as the merits of citing 65%, we can always do so by PM to him, instead of killing the messenger. Let him get started please.

I did address that Panasonic bashing thread and then let them go about their business.
Just like in Iraq, no special treatment.

My HT

post #30 of 52 Old 01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

From someone poking around into plasma, I agree. Who cares what the percentage is? It is not relevant to the post and could be removed to just say, "purple snake issue". Would that make people feel better? Geez.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page