Replacement TV,Please help me choose which one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a newb here and was told this is the best place to find an answer to my question(s).So heres the story.I bought a 50" LG plasma (50px1d) around April of 2006 from Best Buy.I also purchased the product replacement plan.Well construction for my media room was finally completed in July of 2006 and I hooked up the TV only to find snow from the display.Long story short,after a total of 18 calls over 6 months and 7 or 8 trips from BB repair man repalcing input board and power supplies,I finally got the Paperwork for my replacement TV. So I went to local store tonight and asked how this works.I was told to find a comparable TV with same specs.Well prices have dropped significantly since I bought original TV. Please help me choose which TV to replace with.Some of the other equipment used is PS3,XBOX 360 w/ HDDVD,upconvert dvd LG,Dish network HD box and 5.1. Now since the area is custom built for my original TV the size specs must be below 60"L, 35" H, 20" D .I really dont know about staying with plasma or getting LCD/DLP.
I have found these 3 tv's all around the same price and need opinions on which one and why.
1-Samsung 50" DLP 1080P HL-S5087W

2-Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PX60U

3-Sony 50" SXRD 1080P KDS-50A2000

I am going to go to store tomorrow and see if they will just put the purchase price on a gift card (so I can use the difference).BB told me today that if I find a TV for more then I paid I would have to pay the difference(OK understandable)but if I find one for less than I paid they would not reund the difference which does not make sense to me??
I have read great reviews about all of the above TV's and probably just confused myself more in the process.Thanks in advance for your help
I do realize that I narrowed it down to 3 different types of displays and if this should be in a different forum please let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddvds View Post

I am a newb here and was told this is the best place to find an answer to my question(s).So heres the story.I bought a 50" LG plasma (50px1d) around April of 2006 from Best Buy.I also purchased the product replacement plan.Well construction for my media room was finally completed in July of 2006 and I hooked up the TV only to find snow from the display.Long story short,after a total of 18 calls over 6 months and 7 or 8 trips from BB repair man repalcing input board and power supplies,I finally got the Paperwork for my replacement TV. So I went to local store tonight and asked how this works.I was told to find a comparable TV with same specs.Well prices have dropped significantly since I bought original TV. Please help me choose which TV to replace with.Some of the other equipment used is PS3,XBOX 360 w/ HDDVD,upconvert dvd LG,Dish network HD box and 5.1. Now since the area is custom built for my original TV the size specs must be below 60"L, 35" H, 20" D .I really dont know about staying with plasma or getting LCD/DLP.
I have found these 3 tv's all around the same price and need opinions on which one and why.
1-Samsung 50" DLP 1080P HL-S5087W

2-Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PX60U

I am going to go to store tomorrow and see if they will just put the purchase price on a gift card (so I can use the difference).BB told me today that if I find a TV for more then I paid I would have to pay the difference(OK understandable)but if I find one for less than I paid they would not reund the difference which does not make sense to me??
I have read great reviews about all of the above TV's and probably just confused myself more in the process.Thanks in advance for your help
I do realize that I narrowed it down to 3 different types of displays and if this should be in a different forum please let me know

I'm a plasma fan. No doubt about that That being said, the SXRD is one heck of a nice display too. For me, it would be between the panny plasma, and the SXRD.

If you game a lot, SXRD would perhaps be a better solution, although IR/burn-in is less of an issue on the newest panasonics.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
IMO, you have 2 choices there...a Panasonic and a Sony SXRD. I, being a plasma person as well, would vote for the panasonic. However, if you are one to game extreme amounts and not want to vary content from time to time, you may be better off with the Sony, (even though IMO the panasonic picture would win hands down once you get it out of vivid mode and back off the brightness).

Dustin
post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. I work too much and dont have alot of time playing games. The PS3 is mainly for blu ray movies.On my LG there was always static images from when I paused and it bugged the hell out of me.The only reason I threw the samsung in the mix is for the 1080p capable vga for the 360.So as far as features go I like the samsung.But more opinions are welcome.Thanks
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

easy choice. go with the panny plamsa.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddvds View Post

Run, do not walk from this display.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the words of English philosopher Edmund Burke, ÂAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Â
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Pioneer 5070...if not that then the panasonic.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2007, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well I went to CC and spent about an hour with all 3 sets. I really like the picture on the Sony,but after hearing all the possible issues I'm kind of worried about another service nightmare.The Panasonic looked like crap compared to Sony even after trying to adjust settings.I decided to wait until Friday to get the new TV
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page