LG 42PC3D - broken remote or tv remote sensor??? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 117 Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My LG 50 IR is fixed! WD40 and a headphone jack - amazing! A big thank you and kudos to the poster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 Old 12-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Hi, I have the same problem with my LG 32LH2000.
Do these have a remote socket on them, I can't seem to find one?
The only 3.5mm - sockets I can see are Audio in and Headphones.
post #33 of 117 Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the fix-it solution. Our remote hasn't been working for about two weeks, it was driving me crazy. I looked up sensor problems and found the fix-it solution. My husband sprayed some tuner cleaner in the remote input and we pushed a plug in and out of the remote input, and it started working immediately. It worked great. Thanks so much for the quick fix. If you are having this same problem, do this it works.
post #34 of 117 Old 12-21-2010, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp123ca View Post

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

That was it!! Just a bit of contact cleaner and a couple plug in/outs and the remote was back to working again!

Thanks!!!
post #35 of 117 Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM

I have a LG 42LCD2D that's several years old......my remote stopped working as well and I knew it was the TV since BOTH my TV and Harmony One remote didn't work.....wifey says check the internet and what do you know....a simple solution........all I did was take the jack and work it in and out and that did the trick....I'm not sure corrosion is the issue as much as DUST....I'll get a Can-O-Air tomorrow and blow it out fully...thanks to VP123CA for the solution!!!
post #36 of 117 Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM

vp123ca your the man. This worked for me..yahooooooo

Quote:

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

post #37 of 117 Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 PM

Well just wanted to add my Thankyou as well. My wife told me a while ago that the 50" plasma in the basement was working from the remote. I procrastinated of course and finally today decided to start working on my programming and making this work off of 232. Did some searching on the net and found this fix. Just tried it and voila. Magic. Thank you. A great tip from a great site.
post #38 of 117 Old 01-15-2011, 06:43 AM

I'm with you SGT. I went through the same experience with my AT&T remote. Called AT&T service and they connected me to where ever and I talked to " my name is Peggy" guy in wherever and he said the sensor was bad. I used an old headphone and cleaned out the jack and all is back in working order.
post #39 of 117 Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Hi
I have a 42LED5300, the remote just stopped working, but i cannot find a remote in jack/plug, can anyone help?
Thanks
ian
post #40 of 117 Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM

WHOEVER POSTED THE ABOVE ARTICLE IS A GENIOUS. MY HUSBAND JUST TRIED THIS SOLUTION WITH OUR LG AS OUR REMOTE HAD SUDDENLY STOPPED WORKING AND IT WORKED INSTANTLY!!! MY HUSBAND SAYS YOU ARE HIS HERO. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING. YOU SAVED OUR BANK ACCOUNT AND OUR TV...MY HUSBAND WAS READY TO TOSS IT OUT THE WINDOW
post #41 of 117 Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM

All Hail VP123CA !!!! Had the same problem with my LG, followed his easy instructions and in about 30 seconds my remote was working as good as day one! Not to mention I am a rock-star in my wife's eyes...VP123CA, You rock!
post #42 of 117 Old 04-06-2011, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the tip worked great. Unfortunately I only found your thread after I bought a replacement remote control, and it didn't work. The good news is, I now have two working remote controls. Thanks again for the advice, and have added this site to my favourites
post #43 of 117 Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM

vp123ca: I registered for the sole purpose of thanking you for the quick and easy fix on the remote control issue. Thanks! I hope the whole cosmic enchillada rewards you with good karma :-)
post #44 of 117 Old 05-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheBlueSky View Post
vp123ca: I registered for the sole purpose of thanking you for the quick and easy fix on the remote control issue. Thanks! I hope the whole cosmic enchillada rewards you with good karma :-)
I too registered for the same reason! A truly amazing fix that even tech support did not suggest....bravo and sincere thanks
post #45 of 117 Old 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Had the same problem of the LG remote control all of a sudden not working. Did the WD40 trick on the "Remote In" jack and it worked!! Incredible. WD40 can fix anything.
post #46 of 117 Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Fix worked great on a friend's 32LG40 TV! I used generic silicon spray on a 3.5mm jack and worked it in and out about 15-20 times and it worked like a charm!
post #47 of 117 Old 06-07-2011, 08:24 PM

I have the same problem, I checked the back of My LG tv and i am not seeing any "remote in" jack I only see "audio in (rgb/Dvl) jack. Please assist.
post #48 of 117 Old 06-07-2011, 08:43 PM

did yoy find the jack... i have the same problem but i cannot find mine
post #49 of 117 Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Having experienced the same problems as other members on this site with my remote control, and not having a 'remote in socket', research on other forums had suggested that blowing compressed air into all the jack sockets both front and rear of the device may well cure the problem, presumably as a result of some form of dirt build up.

Having long been convinced that this problem must have been the result of external RF/other interference that was corrupting the IR frequency from the remote to the device, as all other efforts had failed, I decided to abandon all hope and give it a go!

To my absolute astonishment it appears to have worked!

However only time will tell and I will report back to this forum in a few days with a final analysis. Who knows, if any other source was interfering, it may have been coincidental that the source stopped at the exact moment I 'blew' the jack sockets with compressed air!

Meantime you might like to give this a go for yourself and see if you will be as surprised as I was.
Good luck!
post #50 of 117 Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Ok - it would appear that blowing the audio sockets with compressed air was, indeed, a hopeful coincidence afterall, as during the course of today the Ir remote control problems reoccurred with a vengance.

However, I am now pleased to report that my original thoughts of an external source of interference have proved to be the correct cause of the problem. By trial and error, I have located the source as being a vertically stacked, multiple 13Amp plug socket unit, which has an LED illumination located at its top.

Simply shielding this by way of placing household silver foil in front of the stack and, as an extra precaution, placing an additional layer of foil at the rear of the TV and the DVD units (being careful not to obscure any ventilation slats), it would now appear that the problem has been rectified with the IR remote controls working continuously without problem.

I hope that my experience may go some way to help others with a similar problem.
post #51 of 117 Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

I too registered for the sole purpose of thanking you for the quick and easy fix on the remote control issue. Thanks to people like you I have learned to search the Internet prior to wasting time with "tech support". Cheers
post #52 of 117 Old 06-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Fantastic Solution. I have a LG42PC in a high end rental we have. I had a new guest check in yesterday and get a call the Master Bedroom TV remote isn't working. I head up, try different batteries and another universal remote, nothing works! So I head by my local LG dealer who is also a service center. They check the LG Remote on there LG TVs and it's fine. So I'm told it's a problem with the IR receiver and to bring the TV in. So I'm thinking several hundred dollars and NO TV for my guests! My wife does a
search and this forum comes up. She finds vp123ca's solution. Didn't even know there was a remote jack on the back! So I get my WD40, bring a head set jack, and flashlight. Follow the directions and within 1 minute the TV's working like a champ! Saved me a bundle and keeps a guest happy!! Thanks!!
post #53 of 117 Old 07-05-2011, 05:45 PM

OMG...thanks so much for the suggestion of the external remote jack...our remote stopped working today and after doing some research I came across this thread...tried cleaning that jack and PRESTO the remote works! You ROCK! Saved us some much time, MONEY and aggrevation!
post #54 of 117 Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 AM

followed some of ya'lls advice and sprayed QD electronic cleaner in plug then pushed in a 3-1/2 in. plug in & out a couple times and it's working fantastically!!!
thanks so much ya'll.
what a money and stress saver
WOW
other than that I had to replace the dvr with another 160 gb. early on[2005] and since no problems. My fault somewhat .. someone in the house spilt some liquid of some sort down back and voided my warranty, but I loved all the features on this tv it was well[$400] worth it. especialiy since this easy fix!!!
I love this TV ...NO DOUBT!!!!
ozneb47
still can't wrap my mind around a sensor in the front? getting cleaned out in the rear
post #55 of 117 Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 PM

vp123ca, your fix worked awesome! thanks so much!
post #56 of 117 Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:

thanks....
our 50" plasma remote operation was fixed with compressed air only... then we covered up the plug hole w/ tape. We also, have two "good" remotes now... we used the camera trick to verify hand remote were operating. then find this thread by accident..Thanks again
post #57 of 117 Old 08-07-2011, 12:26 PM

I've got a LG 42" LCD and yesterday the TV wouldn't function with the remote. I had this same problem last year and it cost me $200 to get it fixed. $25 for a IR Receiver Board (part # EBR42596402) and $175 labor. Today I was trying to search for the part on-line and ran across this board.

I tried the fix, not really expecting it to work....but it did.

WOW, what can I say - this site rocks!
post #58 of 117 Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM

Hello everyone. I usually do not sign up for forums but I wanted to say thank you for posting this solution. I bought my TV from my neighbor who didn't like it becuase the remote did not work. Needless to say I got it for next to nothing. I have been dealing with it for a couple of months and I was searching for solutions and finding out how to replace the IR. I found this thread, used WD40 and headphones, and within 2 minutes my remote is working. My nieghbor is so pissed. Thank you. I signed up for this forum just to say thanks.
post #59 of 117 Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 AM

Thank you so much for whom ever came up with this brilliant fix. I love you!
I was ready to toss the 37" LG right in the garbage rather than have a repair guy tell me it's gonna be a couple of hundred dollars. BTW I didn't have wd40
but I used a little bike chain wax. It worked and I'm so grateful.
post #60 of 117 Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Our LG 37LG30-UD had the remote stop working last week as well. Being a typical man, I just started shopping for a new bigger tv to replace it...

My wife wanted me to fix it so I got online and found this thread, and I wasn't even home. I talked my wife through the fix with some WD-40, her Iphone headphones, and some canned air. I was 99% sure it would fix the problem but she said it didn't work at first... I remembered that I had messed with the universal remote when it first quit so it wasn't set for the TV. Once she set the remote back to the TV frequency it worked great.

Thanks to the intelligent fellow that posted the fix here, it worked for us too! Saved me having to buy a bigger TV for my wife... There never was anything wrong with my 52 inch sharp in my man cave... Haha.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page