LG 42PC3D - broken remote or tv remote sensor??? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 117 Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time here...saw a post on how to get you LG remote to start working again. I have a 42" LG plasma 42PC3DVA. There is a plugin on the back of the TV that is marked REMOTE CONTROL IN...if the cord is plugged in - pull it in and out about 5-10 times. It would be the same plug on your iPod earphones. If the cord is not connected on the back of your tv grab you ear phones and plug it in and out a few time. Leave the cord out, rather then plugging it in again - and bam it works. Finally, I can sit and turn the volume up and down and on and off. Also watch out don't plug into the plug that is marked right next to it that says RGB tried doing that and it was the culprit...made the remote stop working. Left the cord out and now it works....welcome to 2011! No need for a repair man it took 30 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 117 Old 01-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp123ca View Post

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

This Absolutely Worked!!

What a simple repair job...even a caveman can do it...and me too!

And here I was all full of anxiety expecting to have to send the LG TV back. I purchased the LG 60PZ750 online for a real good price. Until I tried this "fix" I had been thinking "too good".
post #63 of 117 Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 AM

I was having the same problem with my LG and remote not working. Reading the advice about cleaning out the remote jack on the back of the set, I took out my headset jack, plugged it into the LG jack, took it out, grabbed my remote hit the power and bam...worked like a charm. I'd say 15 seconds for the whole operation. Thanks for the advice!
post #64 of 117 Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

I was ready to Sh1tcan me LG tv. I have lived without a remote in my bedroom for about a year. On a whim Googled the problem and found out the problem is a 1 min fix. And I mean that. The remote works now and the tv is going to be moved into the den. I wish LG would have suggested the fix instead of saying that it would have cost more than buying a "Cheap new tv that works".

Good TV, Sh1t for tech support.
post #65 of 117 Old 01-22-2012, 10:09 AM

just genius! WD40 works like a charm. I was about to throw away my 1 year old LG 37LC7D TV. thanks to you guys.
post #66 of 117 Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have LG 42PC3R and I did not have any of the sprays by hand so I just used bare headphones jack and plug it in and out into REMOTE CONTROL IN a couple of times and presto my LG is in perfect condition again and remote works again.

That is the first problem that I had with this TV and hope that it stay like that for some time as I still like the picture of this TV a lot after almost 6 years I have this TV.
And big THANKS to vp123ca who shared this fix with all and saved a lot of money for everybody.

p.s. you should put some donation account on

best, d.
post #67 of 117 Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:

absolutely brilliant! no mention of the rear jack disabling the ir sensor in the manual as far as i could see. saved me a few hundred bucks i reckon. cheers mate.
post #68 of 117 Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM

I can't thank you enough for the solution to my remote problem. I have model 42LG50-UG, and plugging/unplugging a headphone jack into the remote in jack enabled me to use my remote control to turn the TV off and on again. LG tech support said we'd need a new "remote control receiver circuit" which would cost about $150 plus labor. I can't believe LG tech support doesn't know about this little trick. Thanks again!!!!
post #69 of 117 Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM

WOW!! Now that was the best advice I have had on a tech problem in a long time. Thank you!!
post #70 of 117 Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Joined this forum just to say "WOW". Problem fixed in 30 seconds, 10 minutes before I was about to call the service guy! Thank you so much!
post #71 of 117 Old 03-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Worked for me, too! I have an Insignia NS-PDP42 from best buy, basically a re-badged LG 42PC3D. I used the headphones from my iPhone to plug into the remote in jack next to the HDMI ports on the back of the TV. Problem solved! Thanks VP123CA!
post #72 of 117 Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM

hi guys.i have an lg m232d-pz and unforely it has no ir remote in jack. only headphones jack and an audio in (rgb/dvi) jack. so am i screwed or is there some other way to fix my problem, as my remote works

also if you have doubts if your remote works or not, do this tri
open up the camera of your phone, and watch the ir of thete. if when you press buttons, you see a light through the camera, then ir works. mine works but the ir of the tv doesnt...o hope there is a solution for me
post #73 of 117 Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 AM

You are a lifesaver. I stumbled on this thread. I doubt I would have spent the money to take my LG in, to have it serviced but it sure is nice to have the remote working again! Thank you for your clear explanation.
post #74 of 117 Old 06-17-2012, 07:06 PM

thank you so much for the remote in idea. did it and it worked like a charm. took me less than a minute.

once again, thank you so much!
post #75 of 117 Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Great Solution! Thank you so much for taking the time to document and share this information. I tried it and it worked like a charm. Saved me frustration, time, and money! WOW! The internet sure is an excellent tool to learn from others with advanced technical skills. You are the MAN! :-)
post #76 of 117 Old 07-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Worked for me on a 37LG30, fantastic!!!

Thanks!!!!!!

you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to....
post #77 of 117 Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Thank you for taking the time to post this!! Our TV just did the same thing, and this blonde non-tech savvy chick was able to fix it!!
post #78 of 117 Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM

Golly Gee, I love the internet!

I just had the same problem today with our 3 year old 50" LG Plasma. I did a google search and it brought me here--a website I check out occasionally anyway.

Thanks for the help.
post #79 of 117 Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM

This worked for me ... thanks so much for this quick and easy fix. Very small squirt of WD40 into the Remote Jack in back of the TV and insert and remove a headset jack several times and the remote worked again. You saved me a lot of $ and a lot of trouble. Thanks !!!smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #80 of 117 Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Thanks for that brilliant fix. Just worked on my LG 26LG40. Don't you just love the internet search function!!
Taking the new remote we bought last night back to the store.....as it did not fix the problem.
post #81 of 117 Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM

I have a LG 42LC7D and the remote no longer controls the tv. From these readings it sound like an IR issue. I don't see an external port to spitz wd40 into. Do I need to take the tv apart? I just replaced capacitors in my LG 60PCID, and I have a picture again. So I'm ready to tackle the remote issue. Any detailed suggestions out there?
post #82 of 117 Old 11-16-2012, 09:00 PM

I google'd my issue and this forum came about..

I followed your simple instruction, my remote is back in action. Im pretty jazzed.. I didn't even need the WD 40, just plugged in the headphones mini plug a couple times and tried it.

Thank you for the post.. made my day

Renzo
post #83 of 117 Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Thank you VERY much! Worked perfectly.
post #84 of 117 Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DO NOT USE WD40!! It'll screwup electronic connectors faster than p*****g on them-instead use 91% isopropyl alcohol or a spray electronic cleaner.
post #85 of 117 Old 12-26-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
C'mon now, everyone knows that Windex is MUCH better than WD40. wink.gif
post #86 of 117 Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM

vp123ca -

THANK YOU!!!!!! I went to try the 3.5mm plug with some WD40 (it was lower right corner of the 42PC3D panel, as you look at the back). I discovered that my kid plugged a headphone jack into this port! Just like you said, that disabled the remote. When I pulled that out, the remote started working again.

God's blessings to you, vp123ca, thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom with the world!!!! smile.gif
post #87 of 117 Old 01-06-2013, 04:48 AM

I would also like to say thank you, I was so frustrated that I am happy LG makes strong items lol. I unplugged my tv,sprayed the air cleaner in the ports, plugged everything in and my remote works. Thanks again!!
post #88 of 117 Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 AM

Liked: 41
Actually you do not need to spray anything. You can use only regular 3,5mm headphones jack. Plug it in and out a couple of times and remote will start to work again. I did that last year and since then it did not have any problems yet.

best, d.
post #89 of 117 Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM

Have a LG 32LC20 with the same problem -- TV not responding to the remote. Tried the cleaning the remote jack in with a 3.5mm plug as suggested and it worked great. The TV is now responding to the TV remote. Thanks, for finding and posting the solution.
post #90 of 117 Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM

Hey i have a LG 50pc5d , had the same problem with the remote just stopped working . Tryed the fix with the remote jack on the back of the tv and it worked great , my remote works now just like it did before thank you so much big time money saver !!!!!!!smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page