Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 117 Old 02-26-2013, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp123ca View Post

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

Thank you vp123ca! I did'nt have ear phones so I used an attachment on my vacuum cleaner and all is well:)smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp123ca View Post

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

Seriously. You saved me a bunch of money. I purchased a replacement remote and a universal remote which didn't work. I started searching online to see if anyone else had the problem. When I started reading this thread I was becoming very discouraged until your post. It worked like a charm. You have to love the internet! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
post #93 of 117 Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much, i have a Lg 32 inch tv and my tv remote and cable remote both stopped working with the tv. I bought this from a rent to own place, i do have a 1 yr warranty but they would have to send it out, so i'd have no tv. Any ways i tried plugging head phone jacks in to the remote control hole about a dozen times like u said and it worked. Thanks for posting that on here. God Bless.
post #94 of 117 Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Worked for me as well..but I spent $90 on a tech who could not figure it out...THEN I found this article..had it working in under a minute
post #95 of 117 Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 PM

Thanks for your 'fix'. It took me longer to walk upstairs to the tv than it did to do the fix. So again thanks a million saved me a fortune in repair bills
post #96 of 117 Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks!!! This solution was a quick fix and saved me from buying a new tv. It took longer for me to find the WD40 and the flashlight than to actually fix the issue. You are the man!!!! biggrin.gif
post #97 of 117 Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 AM

Wow never thought something so simple would fix this issue. I just blew some compressed air in the hole and plugged in a set of headphones a couple times and so far so good. Thanks!!
post #98 of 117 Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 AM

You guys are geniuses!!! Ok we have a B&B business, guest comes down says remote is not working on the LG tv. I'm thinking ya right, so I go up to find out what they did wrong. Come to find out no remote is working on the tv - guest goes out to dinner and I ponder replacing this 40 inch!!! Really depressed, then by chance I land on this thread and read about your solutions with the remote input port thing on the back. I get a toothpick and do the nasty with the port. Then I use the blunt side of this particular toothpick and do the nasty again and LOW and BEHOLD all the remotes start working again on this tv - unfreaking' believable - THANK YOU!!!!
post #99 of 117 Old 07-04-2013, 10:13 AM

All I did, I remove the back cover, went very easy, removed the remote board an soldered three contacts of ir sensor, it solved my problem with the remote.
post #100 of 117 Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to the person who posted the fix-it to the remote sensor problem. This was amazing I was gonna buy a new set tomorrow after this quit working about a week ago !! I thought the repair costs would justify a new tv purchase !! What a remarkable fix !! Thanks Thanks Thanks
post #101 of 117 Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Great solution! Worked like a charm on my LG 42" lcd. Thanks a lot!
post #102 of 117 Old 07-27-2013, 06:07 PM

OmG. I just fixed my tv remote situation with a q-tip and wd-40. It's been not working of 4 months. I was gonna buy another tv....
post #103 of 117 Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Stupid question alert.... I can't find a 'remote in' hole in the back of the telly. I have an LG 47LD450 and the remote has stopped working (again). I am trying to apply that magic solution that seems to be working for everyone. The TV is screwed to the wall so its hard to see the back clearly however the manual available here http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-47LD450 doesn't mention a remote in jack. Could it be named something else on my telly? Thanks!
post #104 of 117 Old 08-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks, vp123ca! Worked on a Zenith Z50PX2D smile.gif Wired remote input is on the back, next to the AC input.
post #105 of 117 Old 09-01-2013, 06:47 PM

This post is a lifesaver. I went to visit my 87 year old Grandfather and he was having issues with the volume control on his LG 32LG30 TV. He assumed it was the new Time Warner cable box and / or the universal remote causing the issue. The nice person from Time Warner who set it up originally could not get the universal remote to work with his TV for any code for LG at all.

I tried my hand at it and came up with nothing. No code would work to control the TV. I grabbed the LG remote that came with his TV and got a big clue when it wouldn't even turn the TV off or on. So I knew it has noting to do with Time Warner's equipment or universal remote. I did a Google search on the model of TV with "remote not working" and it brought me to this thread.

After reading through a few of the posts I started to think "oh no, he's going to have an expensive repair on his TV"... Then I came to this post and went "hmm..."

Looking at the back of the TV, I saw the jack for the wired remote and had a big "ah-ha" moment... Grabbed my 50 cent pair of cheap earbud headphones, pushed the connector into the jack a few times, and boom. Remote and volume control all working great! Universal remote works great! Native remote works great!

Saved a mountain of frustration for an 87 year old senior citizen who really doesn't have the ability to haul his TV back and forth to a repair shop for such a simple fix.

Bravo!
post #106 of 117 Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 PM

On mine it was labeled "Wired Remote". It was on the back of the TV on the left hand side if you are looking at the front of the set, or to the right if you're looking at the back.

It sits in a recessed area where all the other jacks are located so if you have your TV mounted on your wall, I think you'll have to unmount it to clearly see the correct input jack. I doubt you'll have much luck locating it if the TV is flush or close to the wall.

Good luck!
post #107 of 117 Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Just tried the WD40 and the air dust in the "Remote Control In" (is that correct?)confused.gif and still cannot get the remote to work. The "Input List" will not go away and I cannot get the TV to turn off. Please HELP...confused.gif
post #108 of 117 Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Maybe you need cleaning of the contacts inside that remote input. Do not ever use WD40 on the electronic parts as you can do more damage with that. Just use bare 3.5mm mini jack (from headphones) a couple of times in and out and you are well done. Also alcohol is ok.
best, d.
post #109 of 117 Old 11-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Thank you so much.  I see your post was three years ago and LG is still having the same problem.  My remote stoped working last week and I had no idea what to do.  I dreaded calling a repair man as the TV is out of warranty.  I just stuck a pair of headphones in the remote in jack and "voila" the remotes are working again.

post #110 of 117 Old 11-16-2013, 06:02 AM

OMG---it worked.  Got out the WD-40 & headphones and just never thought it would work, but much to my surprise, it took care of my remote working again.  Thanks a bunch!!  Hope it continues.:)

post #111 of 117 Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM

Finally tried it and yup, a few in and outs with the earphone jack, presto, working. Thanks.
post #112 of 117 Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 PM

I have a LG Plasma 42PC3D and my remote operated my Dish Box and not my TV. I tried the recommended procedure and it worked like charm. Sprayed a little WD40  in the exterior remote jack on the back of the TV, worked the headphone jack in and out, and then I sprayed a little canned air just for grins. Fired that baby up and presto - all systems go! Great job! Thanks for posting.

post #113 of 117 Old 01-02-2014, 04:21 PM

Thank you so much for the advice you gave about the "remote in" malfunction. I didn't have any WD40 so I used coconut oil, and it worked like a charm!

post #114 of 117 Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG, vp123ca, I had the problem and that fixed it!!! you rock. saved me a load.
post #115 of 117 Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM

OH, MY Goodness…. getting up for a month or more to turn the tv off or on , volume up or down… well you know…. You guys made my day, month, year!!! this worked immediately! 

post #116 of 117 Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 PM

VP mate you are a genius the WD40 into the remote jack hole at rear worked a treat....Thankyou so much.
post #117 of 117 Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM

I joined just to say I read the article on the fix for my LG 42PC3D hand remote which was not working. I ran around to LG here in Toronto's head office to my cable supplier and various other sources and no one was sure what the problem was. They said the remote was working and it must me the remote sensor in the T.V. I was getting crazy with it especially not being able to turn the set off at night without getting out of bed.  I decided to check on line and read the article about squirting a little WD40 in the back of the T.V. set in the remote input plug as suggested.

Unbelievable how it worked perfectly right away. I was even able to program my cable suppliers remote now.

Bravo Bravo to this fix!!!!!!!

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page