LG 42PC3D - broken remote or tv remote sensor??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 117 Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
out of nowhere today, the remote stopped working. i turned the tv on with the remote and flipped through the channels to get to the football game. during halftime, i pick up the remote to change the channel, and it doesnt work. put new batteries in, still nothing. i programmed the LG remote to control my dvd player, and it worked fine.

could the remote have just gotten wacked out and needs to be "reset", if possible... or did the remote sensor on the tv just stop working for no reason?

ive only have this tv for a few months and im extremely annoyed.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 117 Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 PM

Please forgive the insulting / stupid question:
You checked the remote was in TV mode, right?
(little TV button light flashes every time you press something?)

Mike
post #3 of 117 Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
if the LG remote still works w/ your other components, it seems like the problem is with the IR receiver on the TV.

Do you have any other remote control w/ LG remote codes? You could activate the LG codes and see if that other remote will work w/ your TV. If it still doesn't, then it would almost be certain that it's the TV, not the remote.
post #4 of 117 Old 01-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strodda View Post

out of nowhere today, the remote stopped working. i turned the tv on with the remote and flipped through the channels to get to the football game. during halftime, i pick up the remote to change the channel, and it doesnt work. put new batteries in, still nothing. i programmed the LG remote to control my dvd player, and it worked fine.

could the remote have just gotten wacked out and needs to be "reset", if possible... or did the remote sensor on the tv just stop working for no reason?

ive only have this tv for a few months and im extremely annoyed.

thanks.

good luck, i had the same problem i just got my set (42PC3D) back yesterday and the set had been at the repair shop since December 28th. they replaced the IR sensor then had to replace the main board. now when i hooked the tv to my comcast cable box(motorola 6412 III) using HDMI it freaked the cable box out and now i'm waiting comcast to come out. LG people were nice enough (the service center isn't far from where i live) but i never got anywhere quickly with them. we had actually stared the replacement process, which they say taked 15-20 days to get approval, when they "found" the main board they say they needed and shipped to the repair shop.

on another note, do think the tv is overly sensitive to burn in? i use the screen wipe a lot and i've only had the set, working at least, about a month. even the grey bars on the side in 4:3 mode burn in.

Thanks
Ed
post #5 of 117 Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
There is nothing wrong with your remote control. The problem is with the LG TV. I'm getting mine fixed. The service person said it is a common problem. They need to order the part and will call me when the part is in.

I opened up the TV and checked the signal from the IR receiver module and got a nice 1.8V signal, BUT, apparently that's not high enough. After fooling around inside for an hour, tracing signals on the board and trying to find out which chip the signal goes to, I put it back together and the remote worked again. I checked the signal with a scope again and it was 2.3V. After 24 hours the TV is no longer responding to the remote again. Luckily the TV is still under factory warranty (2 years).

In the mean time I'm working on a work around. I'm going to build a box that receives the IR signal and injects it into the REMOTE IN jack on the back of the TV. p9019 AT yahoo.com

UPDATE: I made a external IR receiver box and plugged it into the REMOTE IN jack and it works. I have IR remote capability again. The service guy should be here in a week or so to fix it for good...I hope.
post #6 of 117 Old 12-07-2009, 08:23 AM

I think remote sensor is bad. Is it part # 31419SF276A? Pix of parts vary on parts search. Where is the location of the sensor and is access easy ? i.e. what is best way to access and replace defective IR sensor? any pictorials out there? Since old thread - may post new topic. Thanks
post #7 of 117 Old 01-17-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelengthman View Post

I think remote sensor is bad. Is it part # 31419SF276A? Pix of parts vary on parts search. Where is the location of the sensor and is access easy ? i.e. what is best way to access and replace defective IR sensor? any pictorials out there? Since old thread - may post new topic. Thanks

I seem to have the same issue. Is the part something I can order and replace myself?
Any other options?
post #8 of 117 Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 AM

The service guy came out and replaced the big logic board. It's been a year and it still works. I do not know what the part cost, but, it looked expensive (replaced under warranty)

While the TV was bad I made a small IR receiver module which I plugged into the remote in jack on the back of the TV and was able to use the remote just fine until the repair guy came.
post #9 of 117 Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelengthman View Post

I think remote sensor is bad. Is it part # 31419SF276A? Pix of parts vary on parts search. Where is the location of the sensor and is access easy ? i.e. what is best way to access and replace defective IR sensor? any pictorials out there?

I'm kind of an expert on IR remote sensors (I make a product using this things revoxremotes.com & nakremotes.com) and it does look like a problem with the remote sensor itself. I but the remote sensor output on an oscilloscope and the waveform was weird. Not what I would expect. You seen the voltage kind of wandered around between about 1.2 and 2.8 volts when it's flakey and sometimes it was at 3.3V and rock solid. That's when it work solid. Anyway. The output of the IR sensor is open collector so it doesn't actually output a voltage. It only pulls down whatever voltage is on the line to ground. What I'm saying is that the IR sensor looks good. It looks like something else is pulling the signal down.
RNZO likes this.
post #10 of 117 Old 07-11-2010, 02:49 PM

What is the part number of the IR sensor board? The IR receiver
is not working permanently now. It did, over past several months, operate intermittently but definitely bad now. Is there a free service manual anywhere? If not, who has the best buy and accurate? Thanks
post #11 of 117 Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Liked: 12
I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.
Heather Webster and mar1234 like this.
post #12 of 117 Old 08-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Great solution vp123ca. I modified your solution slightly and sprayed electronics contact cleaner on a 3.5mm jack and plugged and unplugged just a couple of times. A great fix
, turns out very simple solution to a very expensive repair via LG mis-diagnosis. Thanks my friend.
post #13 of 117 Old 08-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Super Thanks to the remote jack solution! It just never occurred to me. Those type jacks have dinky back contacts. I just fixed the set - it has been working remote solid so far. Thanks again for the great advice. Good price!!!!!
post #14 of 117 Old 08-26-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post

I'm kind of an expert on IR remote sensors (I make a product using this things [url]revoxremotes.com] & [url]nakremotes.com]) and it does look like a problem with the remote sensor itself. I but the remote sensor output on an oscilloscope and the waveform was weird. Not what I would expect. You seen the voltage kind of wandered around between about 1.2 and 2.8 volts when it's flakey and sometimes it was at 3.3V and rock solid. That's when it work solid. Anyway. The output of the IR sensor is open collector so it doesn't actually output a voltage. It only pulls down whatever voltage is on the line to ground. What I'm saying is that the IR sensor looks good. It looks like something else is pulling the signal down.

DUDE! Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. My remote stopped working yesterday. I got to searching online and the only thing I found was like the above (replace the board) stuff. This was my last site I was going to check out. For a second I thought this just sounds too easy. I took my MP3 headset and spared a little WD40 on it and did the nasty with the remote input. I have a can of compressed air and blew it out. Plugged in the tv and BAM! It worked! I'm posting this on F@#@ B^&*.
post #15 of 117 Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Great tip in here! I am not a regular on these forums, or even much of an electronic buff. I found this thread on a google search.

Anyhow, I did not even put oil or anything on the headphone jack. I simply worked it in and out a few times and it worked.

Thanks to everyone. This saved me time, money, and frustration.
post #16 of 117 Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 AM

I've had my tv for almost 4 years and this problem just started last night. I just sprayed the air duster in the 'remote in' jack and now it works. Thanks for posting this tip!
post #17 of 117 Old 09-14-2010, 11:14 PM

This solution was life saving. I actually took my remote in to a large TV chain store and told the guy, who realized that my remote was working on other LG TVs in his store, but of course no longer worked on mine. He told me with total confidence that the problem is the sensor and that I would need to have it repaired. ($$$$$$$$$$$$) So, I must say, I am so grateful for having read this, we did exactly what is posted and it worked flawlessly. Thank you so much for sharing!
post #18 of 117 Old 09-20-2010, 07:19 PM

wow!!! Thanks saved me $$$$$ plus tons of time
post #19 of 117 Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp123ca View Post

I had the same problem with my LG 42PC3. I have a few remotes that were programmed to operate the television. It was highly unlikely that all 3 of the remotes were defective or with bad batteries since the other components like stereo and the cable box would work with the same remotes. I assumed the problem lied with the receiver on the TV. It turned out to be the TV but not the receiver itself. Let me explain, there is a "REMOTE IN" jack on the back of the TV to connect an external wired remote. When you plug in an external wired remote, it deactives the IR sensor. But the problem was that I didn't have an external remote plugged in there. What happens is that some corrosion builds up in the connector behind the TV which causes the circuit to close and deactives the IR receiver, all that is required is to unplug the TV from power source, squirt some WD-40 (only a little) into the connector hole behind the TV and use any 3.5mm plug like a headphone jack and plug-unplug a dozen times to loosen any build-up in the plug which I did and now the TV receives the signals from the IR remote. It worked like a charm for me....the entire fix took less than a minute. I hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem.

wow!!! thanks saved be time and $$$$$$$$
post #20 of 117 Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Hi vp123ca,
I'm having the same problem with my Philips LCD. This sounds like an amazing fix, although I can't find a 'Remote Input' on the panel. There is a 'Service UART' input about the same size as 3.5 jack, would this be used as a remote input too? or do some TV's just not have a remote input at all?
Thanks
post #21 of 117 Old 09-30-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFyfe View Post

Hi vp123ca,
I'm having the same problem with my Philips LCD. This sounds like an amazing fix, although I can't find a 'Remote Input' on the panel. There is a 'Service UART' input about the same size as 3.5 jack, would this be used as a remote input too? or do some TV's just not have a remote input at all?
Thanks

You don't have one on your TV. This is an LG post
post #22 of 117 Old 10-02-2010, 12:01 PM

I have an 47LG60 "scarlet" and the remote will change channels as well as volume but won't power-up the TV or change the input...trying to figure out if the TV sensor is bad or is the Remote shot.
post #23 of 117 Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy71 View Post

I have an 47LG60 "scarlet" and the remote will change channels as well as volume but won't power-up the TV or change the input...trying to figure out if the TV sensor is bad or is the Remote shot.

Almost positively the remote is shot because that is one of the ways a remote breaks, certain buttons just stop working.

LG remotes are pretty cross compatible btw and replacements can often be found on Ebay dirt cheap, i'm seeing a bunch right now for under $20 shipped NEW.
post #24 of 117 Old 10-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks Guys My 37LG30 had same problem this morn. I however did not have any contact cleaner or wd40 handy but I used a pair of headphones to plug in and out a few times and it seemed to work for now . If it happens again ill get myself some contact cleaner from work.
post #25 of 117 Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you ! My remote suddenly stopped working. I installed new batteries and that was not the problem. I was getting ready to call for service and my wife suggested that maybe a solution was available on the internet.

I disconnected the power, sprayed a little WD40 in the remote control jack, plugged in (and out, several times) a jack for my headphones - and it worked ! The entire process took just a few minutes, and cost nothing. Thanks, guys...
post #26 of 117 Old 10-17-2010, 01:05 PM

the solution to fixing the remote did not take 1 minute as posted, more like 10 seconds.
post #27 of 117 Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM

vp123ca,

Thank you for your response. Not only did you have the solution, you clearly explained the problem. I did the same thing as Questmbl and it worked like a charm. I'm currently unemployed so this was very helpful on our budget.
post #28 of 117 Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Just wanted to say thank you to the person who posted the fix-it to the remote sensor problem. LG suggested I bring the TV to a service tech to have it repaired. The remote would not power off/on, change channels or volume. Thanks to the very wise person who posted the fix on this site, I checked the back of the tv, found the "remote in" hole, used a plug from the Wii and pushed the plug in and out of the remote in hole a few times and the REMOTE WORKS! Thanks for saving me a lot of time and money! You ROCK!
post #29 of 117 Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM

I was amazed that the WD40 on a headphone jack and inserted in the remote jack on the back of the TV a couple of times fixed the problem of the remote not working. Kudos to who posted the info. I am fabergasted..
post #30 of 117 Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Had one the other day and power supply caps were bulged. The TV worked fine other than no remote, but changing the caps fixed the remote problem.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page