Need to raise TV height but can't mount plasma to wall, any ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

This is my current setup. I'm pretty happy with it. Obviously, i'd love to go 60" at 1080P and maybe get Paradigm studio 100's instead of my 20's but overall quite happy with it. My only issue (or rather my wife's issue which then becomes my problem) is the center channel speaker is literally level with the bottom of the panny's image plus the tv stand seems busy.

As we rent, we cannot mount the plasma to the wall. I would love to keep my current credenza (from ethan allen) but need a way to lift the plasma up. Does anybody have any ideas of how to raise the TV? I see that salamander designs and BDI have some solutions for their stands but ethan allen does not. Are there any 3rd part solutions? Anything? Thanks for the helps guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM

You can't use a wall mount??? The holes won't be that big. Just patch them w/ some drywall mud.

Always smell it first.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 07:34 PM

How long do you plan on staying there? It is pretty easy to repair wall after you leave. It basically amounts to filling 4 small homes and patching two small squares. If you keep the sheet rock you cut out it would be very easy.

Nice setup, that TV would look awesome mounted there.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get the Premier PSD-VHSA - Adjustable-Height Table Top Stand.

NOTE: The Plasma Mount ( PSM or CTM series) needs to be purchased separately

For more info:
http://www.premiermounts.com/adapter...ID=0&partID=45

or

racksandstands.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=PM1300&refid=DT1-PM1300#ProdDetails
post #5 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, i don't think i can mount it. There is a room on the other side, not sure if that makes a difference. Plus then I'd have to run wires through the wall...not sure how long i'll even live there.

So this plasma mount that you posted on here, i put this on my table or does this go on the floor? Do i need to drill this into the ground? stabilit is obviously an issue...have you tried this stand or have you seen any real life implementations?
post #6 of 31 Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

It's just a tabletop stand.

http://www.premiermounts.com/PartData/Docs/PSD-VHSA.pdf

Never tried that so I cannot comment.

BTW, love your setup specially the Studio 20's - I have a pair myself.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So that premier mount will raise the plasma higher than the stand that my plasma comes with? Also it says i need a piece that can support 5x the weight of the plasma...i don't even think ethan allen says that sorta stuff on their pieces...should i be ok? i mean the TV stands on my furniture with the cc-470...is the stand that heavy?
post #8 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

So that premier mount will raise the plasma higher than the stand that my plasma comes with?

Yup but I don't know by how much.

Quote:

Also it says i need a piece that can support 5x the weight of the plasma...i don't even think ethan allen says that sorta stuff on their pieces...should i be ok? i mean the TV stands on my furniture with the cc-470...is the stand that heavy?

They're just being cautious. The stand weights 44Lbs. Unfortunately as I mentioned, I don't have any experience with this stand so I can't help you further. Your best bet is to call Premier Mounts as they should be able to answer your questions better than me.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that.

Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

ft
post #10 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that. Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

This is an excellent idea, and i'd go one step further and have a local custom furniture maker build it and have him design it to mimick the design of the EA piece so it looks like it came from EA.

Another idea would be to modify the back EA Credenza and build/attach a solid secure upright structure or sturdy pole then attach a basic wall bracket to it, then "wall hang" the display on it. You could even make it swivel a little to face it more toward the left couch to even out the viewing angles a bit

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Go to your Ethan Allen, and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to match up something nice that you could add to raise your plasma. Don't forget to plan for that upgrade.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #12 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftaok View Post

Do you have the ability (or a friend with the ability) to build a little box/stand out of wood? You could build it to house the center channel speaker and the TV would sit on top of that.

Stain it to match the TV stand and you're in business.

ft

MY Pops did this, worked out out Great...making me think I might do it just so I can put my Center there... He had a local cabinet maker do it..whipped it out, fair price looks/works awesome.

Good Luck...

Long Live The Gorn!
post #13 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmmm, maybe I will try that. I'm also just considering moving the stand into another room and maybe getting something like the BDI 8540 which has the mounting stand. Anybody have this? Is it worth it? I read through the whole furniture thread and could not find a lot of info, wish I could find some reviews.
http://www.bdiusa.com/avfurniture/avion_noir_8540.shtml

post #14 of 31 Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Jason,

I was in somewhat in the same situation as you when I bought my 1140HD. After months of painstaking research I settled on a combination of Bello Stand and mount. Here's a link. I absolutely love it....plus it could cost you have the price of the BDI or Salamander. IMO, having looked at all of them, this set up give you the most bang for your money. Hope this helps....a newbie on the site and I was just hoping to contribute and put my 2 cents in
http://www.bello.com/images/products/WAVS-330_Room.jpg
post #15 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 06:35 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

This is similar to what i did to my bedroom dresser. I bolted a sturdy square tube steel pole to the backside of the dresser and mounted my 26" LCD TV to it with a small articulating mount bolted to the steel pole.

I think i saw a kit somewhere that bolts to the backside of a standard credenza or dresser so you can mount the flat panel to it so you might want to check into that.

Quote:

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

At the risk of being flamed I will ask if you have actually given any serious consideration to a physically smaller center speaker. After all yours looks like a buick on that gorgeous credenza.

By serious consideration I mean actually bringing something home and trying it out.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lewlew:

Unfortunately, all the paradigms get even larger than this one. So either I have to get rid of my setup (to maintain the same timbre upon panning sounds) or a new piece of furniture. As my speaker setup is more expensive than a BDI avion, then it still seems like the more sensible choice is to get new furniture or figure out some way to mount the plasma. Plus my paradigm studio 20's sound so good....and if i were to upgrade my speaker setup, i may go even more expensive.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Richie:

Bello looks nice but wouldn't meet my component needs. Nice piece though.

Randy:
Any idea of what that mount is called? That may be the cheapest solution to this.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

How about moving the center channel above the TV and aiming it downward toward the seating area? I think that nice credenzza would look nicer without it on it.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #20 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Jason,
Based on the picture you posted above it looks like you need about 6 drawers like the BDI. Did you take a look at this Bello?
http://www.bello.com/images/products..._Undressed.jpg
You are able to use this stand along with it:
http://www.bello.com/images/products/PP-59B_Angle.jpg
This set set up still much less than the BDI. Just trying to help
post #21 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Marky-mark - talked to the a/v store that I bought it from and they said they would not recommend hanging that speaker. It weights about 40lbs i thnk and I don't think there are mounts available for it. Its big but I love that speaker.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

How about a good strong shelf you could mount to some studs? All you'd need when you move is some spackling to cover the bolt holes, and a quart of paint.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #23 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Richie rich,

that one looks ok. I may have to see if there are any bello dealers around. Is there solid wood underneath the veneer? Do the veneers come off easily (biggest pet peeve of cheaper furniture).
post #24 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Jason,
That particular .piece is actually pretty solid. It ships assembled. The only thing you have to do is put on the feet/legs. The are solid and heavy. The one I got had to be assembled and let me tell you the damn thing is heavy. Pretty solid construction.

BTW: Since you are looking at the BDI, may I recommend that you also look at Salamander. You are able to customize it your wants and needs and would run in similar price as the BDI. I think that the Salamander is a nicer product IMO.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Marky-mark: Mounting the speaker may end up creating just as many headaches as mounting my TV. ALthough it seems like it could work, i don't know how my landlord would feel about it nor would I feel comfortable knowing that my shoddy skills could lead towards it crushing my plasma. Thanks for the advice though. It was appreciated.

Richie Rich: I looked a lot into salamander before i bought my ethan allen piece. Why do you like Salamander better? I thought it was nice although the veneer was obviously fake. Also I didn't like how I could see the screws on the top of the piece and it didn't have hidden wheels. I'm interested to know why you preferred it over BDI as I will also be willing to take a look again.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Jason: The ability to customize the salamander really appealed to me. The finish that I saw with the BDI's weren''t that impressive (maybe the presentation/lighting) I wasn't really impressed with the way the plasma stand on either of them. They just didn't seem solid enough for me. I felt that the Bello stand/mount was the best in regards to the sturdiness/stability factor IMO since I was mounting a 50 inch.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-26-2007, 06:37 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

Any idea of what that mount is called? That may be the cheapest solution to this.

Sorry no, i just remember seeing this kit online probably over a year ago and considered using it on my existing and already modified TV table to do away with the pedestal base and lower my TV a few inches, but i abandoned that idea. I've looked through my bookmarks but i apparently did not save the link.

It was basically an upright structure with special brackets that you bolt to the backside of a credenza or dresser, and it either had a bracket to hang the plasma on, or was designed to accept a standard wall mount (can't remember which). It even had cable management inside the uprights to hide the wires. It's what gave me the idea to mount a pole on the back of my bedroom dresser.

But if you're handy with steel or wood, and not afraid to modify and/or reinforce the backside of your credenza, you should be able to solidly bolt a couple of square tube steel uprights or square U-shaped channel (like Powerstrut PS-200 series like i used) to the back of your credenza and bolt a simple wall mount bracket to them and make it real solid and square. You could paint the steel uprights satin black and hide the cables inside them.

Link to Powerstrut PS200 Steel Channel

Link to Powerstrut Brackets

Randy
post #28 of 31 Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Liked: 13
that unit is beautifuL!
post #29 of 31 Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM

I have the Paradigm 100's with the CC570 Center channel speaker. Yep it's huge and I looked everywhere for the right base which had enough clearance because I also couldn't wall mount my panel. I finally settled on the Sanus Java Lowboy with mounting poles at the back - similar to the BDI stand shown above. works like a charm
post #30 of 31 Old 12-01-2008, 01:13 AM

Just go buy some Bed Risers with non skid bases. They can raise your set up anywhere from 3 to 6 inches and some risers can be stacked
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page