Panasonic 42PX600U or 42PH9UK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to decide. Any advice?

My main criteria is picture quality. The limited input choices on the 9UK is irrelevant, since I'll have an external switcher, anyway. I'm not sure about the lack of HD aspect scaling on the 9UK; I imagine it won't be a problem.

Gaming is a top priority. I haven't been able to test the gaming lag on the 9UK (or the switcher). I've done limited testing of a 42" 60U (which should be the same as the 600U) with an an S-Video input, and determined the lag to be less than a frame, which is great.

The 600U would be an easy choice. It has everything I want (except for true independent input memory) in one shot. The 9UK is a hassle and a bit pricier configured, but has better image quality, a nicer cabinet, independent input memories, and a free 5-year warranty.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I dunno about better image quality on the 9UK... the 600U should perform just as well picture-quality wise.

It sounds like the 9UK has the features you need or want and that 5 year warranty is really nice to have just in case.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mikey. I'm basing my picture quality asessment off Cnet's reviews, though I wonder if I'd be able to tell the difference between the two sets.

It occurrs to me that the independent input memories on the 9UK won't do me much good. It only has one component and one HDMI input, when configured, so I can only have 2 input settings at most. Since I'd be connecting most stuff to a switcher anyway, I'm stuck with with the settings assigned to one (or two) inputs for all those devices. At least the 600U will give me three input memories.

IF picture quality is a wash and the 600U actually has better input memory, then the only advantage of the 9UK is a sleeker cabinet and longer warranty. Is that worth an extra $700 to me? I'm not sure.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-04-2007, 01:33 PM

The 600u looks much better than it's sibling 60u & 6u. I was not a fan of the silver so I bought the 600u and think the cabinet looks nice. I was in the same dilemma as you, I was deciding whether the pioneer looks were worth the $$$ since I thought the picture between the 600u and 4270 were comparable. I can say I'm not disappointed and have not looked back. The combination of the silver and black on the 600u ads a nice bit of contrast to my setup which I think enhances the overall look.

I believe the picture difference between the 2 will be negligible. I think you will find the extra inputs, picture modes, and other extras invaluable and will add additional flexibility for you. I would not worry too much about the warranty since the first year seems to be the make or break time frame. You can always use some of the $700 savings for an extended warranty if you like.

Good luck.

Xbox Live Tag....Number39
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page