Newbie advice on purchase..please be gentle.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,I have read the various threads and have zeroed in on purchasing the EU versions of either the Pioneer PDP-427HX Plasma or the Samsung LN-S4096D LCD.
My viewing habits are-
75% sd via cable dital feed
10% denon dvd/hdmi
15% Xbox360 incl.HDDVD add-on and streaming Hidef movies from my MCE PC
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 432
That's like choosing between a BMW and a Hyundai.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's like choosing between a BMW and a Hyundai.

...can you elaborate?
is the pioneer screen,with less pixel count(the Sammy is a 1080p lcd),going to be sooo much better with sd material and hidef gaming+streaming????
...and will i get the same reply in the LCD forum??
post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca68 View Post

...can you elaborate?
is the pioneer screen,with less pixel count(the Sammy is a 1080p lcd),going to be sooo much better with sd material and hidef gaming+streaming????
...and will i get the same reply in the LCD forum??

Nope, you wont get the same reply on the LCD forum. IMO though, the pioneer looked a lot better than the sammy in stores. The LCD might benefit you if you have a really bright room where you can not control lighting. If that is not the case, the pioneer is going to give you a far superior picture with more vibrant colors and better blacks, (once again this is only my opinion). The extra resolution in the 1080p is only going to be needed if you are sitting extremely close to the set, otherwise your eyes will not be able to detect the benefits.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlconner View Post

Nope, you wont get the same reply on the LCD forum. IMO though, the pioneer looked a lot better than the sammy in stores. The LCD might benefit you if you have a really bright room where you can not control lighting. If that is not the case, the pioneer is going to give you a far superior picture with more vibrant colors and better blacks, (once again this is only my opinion). The extra resolution in the 1080p is only going to be needed if you are sitting extremely close to the set, otherwise your eyes will not be able to detect the benefits.

Thanks Dlconner.I was edging towards the Pio anyway since my wife and i mainly use the tv for sd viewing.Appreciated,thx again!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by macca68 View Post

...can you elaborate? is the pioneer screen,with less pixel count(the Sammy is a 1080p lcd),going to be sooo much better with sd material and hidef gaming+streaming???? ...and will i get the same reply in the LCD forum??

Resolution numbers don't really seem to mean much in the real world at normal viewing distances. I've been shopping for a 46" LCD TV (first for a friend who's placing it across from extremely bright windows) and also for myself and they all happen to be 1080p output, but i have yet to find one that looks as good as a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma so i ended up just keeping my plasma.

I don't know about the gaming thing, but i do feel that SD cable looks better on a good plasma based on how it looks on my own plasma and friends' plasmas, and how the same channels don't look as good on my other friend's 1080p LCD TVs.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Gaming that little on the TV will should cause no issues at all. I would still take the time to break it in properly, but only 10-15% for gaming is really not much to be concerned with. Also, one great thing about a plasma for gaming is no motion blurring or ghosting, which is commonly plaguing LCD's.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page