Glass Reflection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 02-16-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
New poster here, trying to decide which type of flatscreen television to purchase. I thought I had decided on plasma, but after looking at them at BB, CC, and Costco, I really noticed the lights at the store reflecting on the glass.
Our room is not overly bright, but during the day, the windows reflecting on the tube TV we have is distracting. When I close the blinds, I can still see the window.
So, does this mean I should purchase an LCD? I have been reading threads about the problems the LCD TVs have (clouding and something called banding), so I'm not sure if LCD has all of the problems worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-16-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My fix for reflections on my plasma was to give it a slight tilt upward. It's similar your reaview mirror when you flip it to njght mode. The Sanus wall mount I have allows me to tilt the display and it solved the problem 90% of the time.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAdds1 View Post

Hello, New poster here, trying to decide which type of flatscreen television to purchase. I thought I had decided on plasma, but after looking at them at BB, CC, and Costco, I really noticed the lights at the store reflecting on the glass.

Our room is not overly bright, but during the day, the windows reflecting on the tube TV we have is distracting. When I close the blinds, I can still see the window.

So, does this mean I should purchase an LCD? I have been reading threads about the problems the LCD TVs have (clouding and something called banding), so I'm not sure if LCD has all of the problems worked out.

While Plasma TVs are reflective, they're not quite as reflective as a Tube TV due to the Plasama's anti-reflective coating on the front glass so a Plasma can actually be better than the Tube in this regard, but the screen area of a Plasma is larger than that of the Tube TV so you'll probably see more of the room reflected in the glass, abeit it won't be mirror-like like the Tube TV is. With the Plasma, you'll still see the window reflected in the screen but it will be somewhat "muted" and softer, and i'd think that it would be an improvement over your current Tube TV.

But of course an LCD would practically not reflect the window at all; maybe at most the screen will glow if the light is shining on it. My friend had a similar situation - he always wanted to buy a Plasma TV for his living room but he has large windows behind the couch and they reflected brightly in the shiny glass screen of his RPTV, and even with the blinds closed. So i explained the problem and talked him into getting a 46" LCD TV instead and it works out great for his environment, but we both like the image on my Plasma better. But in his case, Plasma was not the best choice, and he's happy enough with the LCD.

This thread should shed some light on the issue:
Plasma/CRT Reflection and Glare Thread

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 27 Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I have the exact same scenario as you. My plasma is on the west wall, with huge windows on the east wall. During the morning when the sun is shining in, I do get some nice glare, (even when the blinds are closed some reflection is present on the plasma). It isn't as bad as my old CRT's though, and the vast majority of my viewing is not early morning, so I am not bothered by it.

Dustin
post #5 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul View Post

My fix for reflections on my plasma was to give it a slight tilt upward. It's similar your reaview mirror when you flip it to njght mode. The Sanus wall mount I have allows me to tilt the display and it solved the problem 90% of the time.

Intresting solution & one I would have never thought of.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello,
New poster here, trying to decide which type of flatscreen television to purchase. I thought I had decided on plasma, but after looking at them at BB, CC, and Costco, I really noticed the lights at the store reflecting on the glass.

LCDs perform much better during the daylight hours than PDPs do. PDPs are superior for the evening/night home-theater-like experience. The vast majority of my television viewing is during the evening so I bought a PDP. Unfortunately, no one HT display technology does everything the best and it becomes a matter of priorities and the trade-offs you are willing to accept (e.g. gaming/burn in resistance: LCD versus black levels/gradation steps: Plasma) that will determine your purchase decision.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi I've own both a PANNY Plasma and an LCD. I think I was the first person to post how disappointed I was with the screen reflection in my plasma. I should point out that I have the worse case scenario for screen reflections. We have a sun room with french doors and also sky lights. When I purchased my plasma 2 and half years ago the LCD were not up to the task in the contrast ratio area. They were always washed out in day light. Fast forwards to todays LCDs. The top tier LCD Sony,Sharps have contrast ratio that come close to matching plasma. Judge the LCD's for yourself cheaper Sets built on old designs still stuffer from the gray black haze of contrast ratio. Watch which LCD you buy but if daytime viewing is important I would choose an LCD. Note with just a little work for light control and also a 15 Degree tilt mount will go a long way in reducing screen reflections. I Love my 50 Panny don't get me wrong. and perfer the picture to my 32" vizio LCD 800 contrast ratio is as low as you should go for for an acceptable picture IMHO.

HDTV is clear get the picture
post #8 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Like others have said it all comes down to when you watch TV the most.
I too dislike the reflection of a plasma but the trade off of an awesome picture is well well worth it. Besides most of my TV times is at night and when I watch during the day I just close the blinds.

I also have a 23 inch Samsung HDTV LCD in the kitchen and it doesn't even come close to the plasma.
There is something about LCD displays I just do not like.
If you are going to shoot for LCD at least get a real good one. Sony?
post #9 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 PM

The new 2007 Panasonic 77U will have an anti-glare coating. How effective can we expect this to be at eliminating or greatly reducing glare, and will it have any negative effect on viewing from side angles?
post #10 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

I tilted my Sammy slightly downward, maybe 5 degrees off it's vertical axis. We have one of those old-styled double hunge windows directly across from the TV - no glare at all from it.

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #11 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will stick with my original decision of the plasma.
Now, what size. The viewing distance from most of the seating is 9-10 feet. My husband thinks a 42 inch is plenty large, but I am wondering if a 50 inch would be better. Would a 50 inch be too large for the distance at which we will be sitting. If we have people over, they may be sitting about 8 feet from the screen.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will stick with my original decision of the plasma.
Now, what size. The viewing distance from most of the seating is 9-10 feet. My husband thinks a 42 inch is plenty large, but I am wondering if a 50 inch would be better. Would a 50 inch be too large for the distance at which we will be sitting. If we have people over, they may be sitting about 8 feet from the screen.

I commonly sit 8-12 feet from my 50 inch set, and love it. A 42 inch would be nice, but you may find yourself wishing you went for the 50" a few months down the road.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Exactly my answer, too. 50" all the way - I went 42" and am now wishing I'd gone the 50" size - and our viewing distances are about the same!

Ottawa Ontario Canada
post #14 of 27 Old 02-18-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

My husband and I went to BB and CC today. He thinks the 50 inch plasma is too large. He feels he cannot see all of the content on the 50 inch screen. I personally want to get the 50 inch, but will probably purchase a 42 inch Panasonic.
I think I might cut out the size of the screen in paper and put it up to show him. It's probably a waste of time as I think his mind is set. I hope that once we get it in the room, I won't notice that it's a smaller size.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-18-2007, 06:35 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:

My husband and I went to BB and CC today. He thinks the 50 inch plasma is too large. He feels he cannot see all of the content on the 50 inch screen. I personally want to get the 50 inch, but will probably purchase a 42 inch Panasonic.
I think I might cut out the size of the screen in paper and put it up to show him. It's probably a waste of time as I think his mind is set. I hope that once we get it in the room, I won't notice that it's a smaller size.

What about splitting the difference and getting a 46" LCD TV instead?

If you've settled on a Plasma, i would also say to get the 50 incher for your viewing distance, and this is from a guy who prefers his bigscreen to be on the smaller side as i don't want such a big screen experience. To prove you point about the 42" being too small - the actual screen on my 42" Panasonic is 36.2" wide X 20.5" high so cut the cardboard out at that size and conveniently forget to include the extra inch all around for the bezel

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #16 of 27 Old 02-18-2007, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Randy makes a good suggestion on looking at the exact screen size dimensions for your cardboard cut out. The Panasonic consumer models have heavy bezels which make them seem larger but the screen size is smaller (we have a 42" panny consumer). Some other manufacturers, like Pioneer and the commerial panny models and some other companies, have less noticeable bezels which translate into less bulky units in bigger sizes like the 50". The 50" Pioneer is a good example of this. Each person has their own criteria for what size works best for their situation and only you can make that decision. I must admit, however, now having a 50" Pioneer I am very glad I did not go smaller as I once thought about doing.

Good luck.
post #17 of 27 Old 02-19-2007, 06:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

From a viewing distance of 8 feet I'd recommend going with a 50" PDP. After you set your display up inside your home you will quickly become accustomed to the size of the screen. Most individuals who have owned a 50" PDP for a period of time, generally find themselves upgrading to the 60" category the next time they buy.
post #18 of 27 Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

See, I was in the reverse role. My wife wanted a small TV and I wanted a large one. The key to it is starting with a really BIG size, like 60", and then "compromising" at 50". As for the cut out, hopefully he will see that it is not as big as he thinks it is at the viewing distance.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-20-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:

I wish I went with the 50. (got my eye on the 58 or the Pioneer 60 now)
Do what others have said. Cut out cardboard cutouts of the 50 and see what it looks like.
Either way you will be pleased with your plasma.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post

The new 2007 Panasonic 77U will have an anti-glare coating. How effective can we expect this to be at eliminating or greatly reducing glare, and will it have any negative effect on viewing from side angles?

Does anyone know the answer to Jungle Jim's question? Is this anti-glare coating - or are any of the newer PDP anti-glare coatings - any good? Does anti-glare also mean anti-reflection?
post #21 of 27 Old 02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcduncan View Post

Does anyone know the answer to Jungle Jim's question? Is this anti-glare coating - or are any of the newer PDP anti-glare coatings - any good? Does anti-glare also mean anti-reflection?

I don't think enough people have seen or tested this anti-glare coating to determine its effectiveness.
post #22 of 27 Old 02-20-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish I had your husband's problem . I wish my wife was the one arguing for a larger TV. Your husband probably doesn't want a bassboat, a beer refrigerator, and a dedicated room for guitars either does he? Maybe I should have married someone like you instead.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #23 of 27 Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What about splitting the difference and getting a 46" LCD TV instead?

If you've settled on a Plasma, i would also say to get the 50 incher for your viewing distance, and this is from a guy who prefers his bigscreen to be on the smaller side as i don't want such a big screen experience. To prove you point about the 42" being too small - the actual screen on my 42" Panasonic is 36.2" wide X 20.5" high so cut the cardboard out at that size and conveniently forget to include the extra inch all around for the bezel

OK, I am going to cut out the size of the 42 inch. Can someone post the size of the actual screen of a 50 inch plasma, please?
CC dropped their online price $100 for a 42 inch, so I'm wondering if it really is worth the extra $600 to go for the 50 inch size.

Go Gators
post #24 of 27 Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark896 View Post

I wish I had your husband's problem . I wish my wife was the one arguing for a larger TV. Your husband probably doesn't want a bassboat, a beer refrigerator, and a dedicated room for guitars either does he? Maybe I should have married someone like you instead.

Nahhh.......I'm too old for you.
Plus, I don't want a bassboat or a dedicated room for guitars. I already have the beer refrigerator out on the lanai.

Go Gators
post #25 of 27 Old 02-21-2007, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The dimensions for the 50" panasonic, bezel included, are as follows:
Dimensions (H x W x D) 32.2'' x 47.6'' x 3.7''
post #26 of 27 Old 02-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcduncan View Post

The anti-glare coating on my pioneer is effective, somewhat. It is significantly less glaring/reflective than a photo framed with glass in the same location.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

CC dropped their online price $100 for a 42 inch, so I'm wondering if it really is worth the extra $600 to go for the 50 inch size.

Go Gators

Only you can decide that question but I'll say that it is well worth it given these items are usually a mid to long term investment. The size benefit gained by the 50" is substantial. A year or two ago the price difference between a 42 and 50 was a lot more than 600 dollars (my very rough guess is it was probably closer to 1500 to 2000 price difference) -- from that perspective, it is a great deal for the added size.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page