I am considering purchasing the panasonic 42px60U, what do I need to know? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have read a lot of good reviews of the unit. I am intending to go to frys where I purchased an olevia 337h previously which I intend to return tommorrow. What are the drawbacks of this unit which sites like CNET are not talking about? Any suggestions on negotiating a price at fry's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

actually I am sitting 10 feet away from where it should be, should I consider getting the 37 inch version and save a bill?
post #3 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morter Forker View Post

I have read a lot of good reviews of the unit. I am intending to go to frys where I purchased an olevia 337h previously which I intend to return tommorrow. What are the drawbacks of this unit which sites like CNET are not talking about? Any suggestions on negotiating a price at fry's?

It doesnt have any real major issues, its a good set and lots of people have them and are happy with them. Mine has been terrific this far.

If anything, you may notice some slight false-contouring on certain types of lighting and some fade-in / fade-outs. That will appear as "stepped" color transitions instead of smooth gradations. Certainly not the end of the world. The built in tuner is NOT the best around either. Some people hate the silver frame/bezel but thats totally subjective. Otherwise, I havent seen anything bad. It has great blacks, accurate color, and really has a nice natural overall picture. There may be other TVs that are better overall but they cost a crapload more money. For the cost its hard to beat it.

My 2 cents....
post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

It doesnt have any real major issues, its a good set and lots of people have them and are happy with them. Mine has been terrific this far.

If anything, you may notice some slight false-contouring on certain types of lighting and some fade-in / fade-outs. That will appear as "stepped" color transitions instead of smooth gradations. Certainly not the end of the world. The built in tuner is NOT the best around either. Some people hate the silver frame/bezel but thats totally subjective. Otherwise, I havent seen anything bad. It has great blacks, accurate color, and really has a nice natural overall picture. There may be other TVs that are better overall but they cost a crapload more money. For the cost its hard to beat it.

My 2 cents....

Do you happen to have an xbox 360 and know of any issues it may have with it?
post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM

get a 50 inch plasma from 10 feet-maybe even a bigger set-pioneer 5070
post #6 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 50 inch version and at 10feet away you should consider the 50" size. It depends on your taste but 42" for a 10 foot range seems small imo. Heck, i am thinking of getting a larger set at 55-60"
post #7 of 17 Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Priestley View Post

I have the 50 inch version and at 10feet away you should consider the 50" size. It depends on your taste but 42" for a 10 foot range seems small imo. Heck, i am thinking of getting a larger set at 55-60"

I can not afford larger.

I may move my room back to the 9 foot viewing distance I had before, when I am closer though I get more eye strain.

Any of yall have it and notice any motion blur, particularly with high definition games?
post #8 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

If you're going to be doing a lot of gaming, all plasmas (60u) included are susceptible to image retention/burn in. I suggest that you limit your gaming for the first couple hundred hours and also that you turn down the settings (your tv may have a game mode) when gaming.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
This is my opinion so nobody kill me but I had the 42px60u and the blacks were pretty good but everything else was lacking. It had poor scaling and my local CBS and PBS HD stations looked like claymation, eveything also had tons of grain in the image. I returned the set and ordered a Pioneer 425-cmx with the pda-5004 card and have a perfect picture on anything I feed it and it has a lot more tweaking options in the menus, another thing the 42px60u was deficient in.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Droid:

Did you you calibrate your TV? The default settings are horrible but after calibrating it, i think the image is very pleasing to the eye. To each his own though.

As for the original poster's comment on gaming, motion blur is not an issue with gaming. I own the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii and they all look wonderful on my 50" panny 60U. My only recommendation, is that you really really limit your gaming during the first 100 hours of usage (as well as lower the brightness and contrast ratio to sub-optimal levels). After those 100 hours, do whatever you want. I occasionally get image retention with the unit if I leave an image on pause for a while (one time left a dvd menu screen on the entire night) but it went away after 30 minutes. Also, i think all the next-gen systems have a setting that you can enable that dims the image if you leave your system unattended to.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

You should not have any issues with motion blurring on a plasma. Your tradeoff is you get to worry about Image Retention/Burnin. However, with a little care, and a decent breakin period, you will not have to worry about those too much.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

well I intend to get a burn in cd or dvd somehow and run that constantly the first week I get my tv, with the settings down.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well I intend to get a burn in cd or dvd somehow and run that constantly the first week I get my tv, with the settings down.

Turning the settings down will just prolong the amount of time it takes to age the phosphors. I would just recommend taking it out of VIVID mode, and adjust the settings until you are happy with the picture. Then use the breakin DVD, if you desire, and avoid logos/static images for the first 100-300hrs. After that, just vary your content and aspect ratios and you will never have a worry. Good luck and welcome to a better picture!
post #14 of 17 Old 02-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
The gradient rendering problems are evident on stuff like the playstation 3 default background which makes it looks like there's significant noise.

Currently looking for 4kTV owners to do some device testing for an animated series I'm creating. PM me if you're available.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So is the 50" panny series better as in a better tuner, less clay faces, less false contouring, less grain?

It would be great to have some pics of the two sizes playing the same content...
post #16 of 17 Old 02-20-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you happen to have an xbox 360 and know of any issues it may have with it?

Nope, no video games. I dont see why it would have issues though....
post #17 of 17 Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You may want to check out this thread about the screen's resolution:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=808297

Dasetup
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page