Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 480 Old 04-01-2007, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwave View Post

I sit about 9ft from my current 50" vizio, will it be overkill to get this TV for my living room? It looks so sweet but the extra weight would require a new support mount and question if the metal studs behind the wall have enough to support the monster.

your living room will be fine , in fact it will be better with this tv. i would suggest a new mount. i bought a sanus from amazon that spans 3 studs you may want to consider this since you have metal studs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Costco sells a new mount to hold the Vizio, $99, one finger tilt, and comes with two brackets, one to mount straight to wall, and one with the finger tilt, your choice.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #183 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 AM

Will the new mount still fit the holes in the wall from the old mount (also bought at costco early this year before the larger one replaced it)? I'm not ready to go through hassle of making new holes and getting anchor bolts in new places.
post #184 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Anyone using a Harmony Remote with these? I'm having trouble changing the input from DTV to HDMI 1. It cycles through the (corrected) listed inputs, but it still doesn't get it right. Any success stories? Thanx,
Joel
post #185 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 PM

You can not mount this TV to metal studs, whether it's two or three studs. This TV weighs over 160 lbs, plus the weight of the mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydriver View Post

your living room will be fine , in fact it will be better with this tv. i would suggest a new mount. i bought a sanus from amazon that spans 3 studs you may want to consider this since you have metal studs

post #186 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Anyone have over a 100 hours on this tv yet? Ive got over 50 and get temporary IR from having the on screen menu up for just a few seconds.
post #187 of 480 Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM

I have had mine for about a week, guessing around 80 hrs of use, and still have some temporary IR. I can really see it when the room is completely dark and the screen went from an image to black. It quickly goes away. I am to chicken to play my xbox 360 just yet. I had the Vizio HD50 for 1 1/2 years and had no problems at all with IR. I always feel if you take care of your electronics they will take care of you, so I think I will wait another week or so until I let a static image stay for longer than 30 seconds. I am afraid if this continues it will have to go back. I want be able to use my media center and xbox360 without any worry. I dont mean being able to have static images all day long, just being able to pause a show when needed.
My 2 cents on this set - great set for the money. HD-DVD's look amazing (REALLY amazing), and I am using the xbox360 HD-DVD player via component. SD tv looks ok on some channels, and absolutely crappy on others. I would not spend 20-30% more just to get "deeper" blacks and better SD broadcasts. If that is a concern to you and you have a budget, buy a 42" to hold you over for a few years.
post #188 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM

Just bought this TV. I used the custom settings from the CNET review, with some good results, but the picture looks dark. The Game setting seems best with the pre installed. Anyone have custom settings they would like to share that pulls this picture out? I love this TV so far, and with the extended warranty from Costco....you just can't beat the price.

Thanks EB
post #189 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrusher View Post

Just bought this TV. I used the custom settings from the CNET review, with some good results, but the picture looks dark. The Game setting seems best with the pre installed. Anyone have custom settings they would like to share that pulls this picture out? I love this TV so far, and with the extended warranty from Costco....you just can't beat the price.

Thanks EB

try these

Pic Mode: Custom
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 45
Saturation: 44
Hue: 4
Sharpness: 12
Advanced: all off (dynamic cont. to 0)
Color Temp:
Red: 47
Green: 41
Blue: 48
post #190 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbustanut View Post

Anyone have over a 100 hours on this tv yet? Ive got over 50 and get temporary IR from having the on screen menu up for just a few seconds.

i have some, but no big deal, there is an optiion to clear that in the menu options.
personally, i don't think it is a problem.
post #191 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post

try these

Pic Mode: Custom
Brightness: 51
Contrast: 45
Saturation: 44
Hue: 4
Sharpness: 12
Advanced: all off (dynamic cont. to 0)
Color Temp:
Red: 47
Green: 41
Blue: 48

These worked very well, Thanks!!

Really brightened the pic from the CNET settings. Did you use anything to get these numbers?

Again, thanks....made a big difference.

EB
post #192 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM

can you set all hd channels to display fullscren
post #193 of 480 Old 04-03-2007, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has any considered adding lighting to the back of their Vizio? You can add a similiar idea to the Phillips Ambilight to any T.V. now. It's called "bias backlighting".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=18&pp=30

This is something I definitely am going to do. You can spend $10 from home depot and do it yourself, or you can by the official lights for about $40 from http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm - which is much more pure white, instead of yellow.

hard to see here, but you can see it.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #194 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 AM

Costco set a new price today $2799 plus a $200 instant rebate for $2599 total plus tax out the door good thru April 10th - and no coupon needed.

I picked one up tonite, having it delivered tomorrow eve. I have an original 50" vizio (no tuner) hooked up to DirecTV-HD DVR HDMI and Xbox-360 (component), and Samsung HD941 upscaling DVD HDMI - all going thru an OnkyoTXSR674 Switching and Upscaling HDMI receiver.

I currently have the 50" adjusted very nicely. Pretty much out performs any Circuit City or BestBuy "in-store" display I've ever compared to. Only complaint posterization in the bottom end grey levels ie Fog, clouds, or subtle white and offwhite gradients. Tested the 60" with similar content at CostCo and low end grey levels were absolutely perfect, no posterization at all... The Phillips 63" absolutely looked better overall, but hoping the Vizio 60" just needs to be adjusted. If I can't get it as good as the 50" or near the Phillips I may end up exchanging and paying the extra $1k for the Phillips, but I'm hoping the Vizio work out nicely. I really prefer the casing and hidden speakers, and don't mind the price either.

I'll let you know how the comparison goes.
post #195 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysoft View Post

can you set all hd channels to display fullscren

There are only two "mode" options for HD signals: 16:9 and zoom. You can use the remote to zoom the pic into full screen , but lose picture margin and clarity.

For non-HD signals, mode supports: 16:9, 4:3, pana, and zoom.

Had to reset my setbox to allow non HD signals to pass through the HDMI connection to enable the additional mode options. Let the TV upscale the signals, seems to work better. Not really bothered by the croped HD signals that are not broadcast in 16:9.

Picture is good since I adjusted the set. No problems so far.

Great TV for the price.

EB
post #196 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895 View Post

Anyone using a Harmony Remote with these? I'm having trouble changing the input from DTV to HDMI 1. It cycles through the (corrected) listed inputs, but it still doesn't get it right. Any success stories? Thanx,
Joel

I have the 880 and it is working with no problems. Had to use the "learn function" for a couple of buttons that were not loaded from the web page. I only have (TV: HDMI1) and (DVD: S video) connected.

Switches without a problem, works better with this TV than the one it just replaced.

EB
post #197 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 AM

Jasonn B, nice setup. Did you mount it on the wall yourself or did you hire someone? I've been eyeing the Visio 60 since its press release but the weight for wall mounting concerns me. My listening room has an inch of Celotex foam board under the sheetrock, which means that any screws/bolts must penetrate 1-5/8" before hitting the wood studs.

Besides, I don't think that I could lift it up myself. Correction: I know that I couldn't lift it up myself.

As an aside, your room seems that it might be sonically reflective (lots of solid flat surfaces and corners.) Foam in the corners might control it if it's a problem.
post #198 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

I took a bunch this morning to show the various angles on the UCL-X.
The file is too large from iphoto on my Apple laptop. Any suggestions.

Pictures, where are they?!? As Jasonn B said, use yousendit or photobucket.
post #199 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 08:34 AM

I'm interested in the VM60, but could someone tell me, whether I can input PAL and whether the Vizio will be able to display it?
post #200 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrusher View Post

There are only two "mode" options for HD signals: 16:9 and zoom. You can use the remote to zoom the pic into full screen , but lose picture margin and clarity.

For non-HD signals, mode supports: 16:9, 4:3, pana, and zoom.

Had to reset my setbox to allow non HD signals to pass through the HDMI connection to enable the additional mode options. Let the TV upscale the signals, seems to work better. Not really bothered by the croped HD signals that are not broadcast in 16:9.

Picture is good since I adjusted the set. No problems so far.

Great TV for the price.

EB

How did you do this? I've been watching the non-wide HD channels/shows in the standard format. Although the "zoom" works, it only zooms on the 4:3 ratio and does not expand it to the full screen.
post #201 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM

I'm interested in the VM60, but could someone tell me, whether I can input PAL and whether the Vizio will be able to display it?
post #202 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 09:52 AM

I have a few of them. Here's one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodequin View Post

Pictures, where are they?!? As Jasonn B said, use yousendit or photobucket.

LL
post #203 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Here's another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

I have a few of them. Here's one.

LL
post #204 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM

Will the 60" Vizio allow for 1:1 pixel mapping to hook-up an external video processor?
post #205 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardkey View Post

How did you do this? I've been watching the non-wide HD channels/shows in the standard format. Although the "zoom" works, it only zooms on the 4:3 ratio and does not expand it to the full screen.

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. You turn the set box off, and then push the guide and info button simultaneously (I think they were the correct buttons), that executes the HDTV setup mode. Go to advanced (quick sets everything to upscale to 1080i)....select all available formats, then exit. The setbox now recognizes all signal types. Then, I went into setup using the remote and selected "By HDMI/AVI auto"....or something like that for format type.

The TV does the rest, it will upscale the signals passed by the set top.

Hope that helps,

EB
post #206 of 480 Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Has any considered adding lighting to the back of their Vizio? You can add a similiar idea to the Phillips Ambilight to any T.V. now. It's called "bias backlighting".

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=18&pp=30

This is something I definitely am going to do. You can spend $10 from home depot and do it yourself, or you can by the official lights for about $40 from http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm - which is much more pure white, instead of yellow.

Yeah Ive done it with my Vizio 50" I started out just wrapping some clear rope light around the wall mount in the back of the TV (called ambigettolight). This gave off a yellowish glow from behind the Tv. Ok but not too good. My next step was to buy a $4.95 florescent light fixture 36" I thing at wal-mart and replace the bulb with a $5.00 daylight bulb from Home depot. The result was a natural white light coming from back of set. I placed the florescent light horizontally on top of the wal mount shooting up behind the TV. Now with both lights on I get a white glow at the top while getting a yellowish glow near the bottom. Surprisingly this tends to look very natural with 70% of the scenes on TV. Seems that the white at top goes nicely with blue sky while the yellow glow at bottom goes nicely with earth tones at the bottom of screen. Things like desert scenes look like I have ambilight since they are so matched. I'm happy with the result and its the only light in room I need on during movie night.
See pictures attached. The Aquarium was not a good example of the dual light action but it still looks cool.
LL
LL
post #207 of 480 Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM

PAL anybody?
post #208 of 480 Old 04-05-2007, 01:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

PAL anybody?

Just email Vizo and ask them.

techsupport@vizio.com
post #209 of 480 Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 AM

Vizio does not know.
Hence I'm asking here as someone surely uses a HTPC or has some PAL DVDs.
post #210 of 480 Old 04-05-2007, 02:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well you've asked the same question here 3 time now, and with barely a hours wait between the 1st and 2nd time.
And no one has answered, so I'd say no one here knows.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page