Official Vizio VM60 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official Vizio VM60 Owners Thread Okay, so I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger. I purchased the VM60 this past weekend.(and got the manager to okay the coupon rebate at the end of the month). I had no idea about the Costco policy change, so I'm hoping that I'm gonna be "grandfathered".

Here are my initial thoughts....
It is BIG. I upgraded from a 62" Sony RP and expected the screen to be relatively similar. Its not. The overall TV is much larger in my house than I anticipated (which is okay), and the image size is also much larger than I expected. I'm sure this is a result of becoming accostomed to the view of the large sets during my shopping period.

It is heavy. Very heavy. I purchased a stand on which I could mount it like a typical wall mount. The stand is rated for 250lbs and I'm already having some bending of the metal (not happy about this, but thats a different story).

There is no mention in Vizios information about conditioning the TV or any type of break in period. However, I have heeded the advice of others and have been viewing mostly HD channels and have not yet tweaked any of the settings.

I've scrolled through the picture modes (movie, standard, game, etc.) to see the results, and have been a bit disappointed. I'm hoping that my Avia calibration stuff will really help....(keeping my fingers crossed).

Without a better TV to compare it to in my house, the PQ on the HD channels and on DVD's is absolutely AMAZING. Vibrant, sharp, detailed, and "deep". I sit approximately 14 feet away from the screen, and I can see every detail.

Until I log a few more hours and run the Avia, I won't comment on the PQ details. I have noticed many of the issues discussed here regarding black levels, sharpness, etc, but I think I'll be able to improve these somewhat with tweaking.

Right out of the box, the PQ is good. Not great or excellent, but pretty darn good.

The sound quality is also very good, and it has two nice features....an auto audio leveler and a surround simulator. I'm still teaking this to figure out which is best for each type of program, so I'll post more on this too as I get deeper into it.

The quality of the regular channels (Comcast cable) pretty much sucks, but that is unavoidable.

Also, I discovered something interesting, which I assume would happen with any plasma. I wear glasses to see distance, but with my old TV I could comfortably watch without needing to wear them. The impurities in the signal just seemed to meld with my eye deficiencies. With the new plasma I seem to need my glasses much more. I guess the sharper detail at that distance compounds my vision problem. Not a big deal, but it was definately a noticable annoyance....something I'll just need to get used to.

Overall, I am satisfied. It looks great in my house, the PQ is good and it has been completely glitch free (again with the fingers crossed).

We aren't ready to plop down another grand for the Panny, so unless something goes horribly wrong, we'll stick with this and enjoy our HD bliss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yesterday I ran through the Avia calibration dvd, and boy did it make a difference.
There colors balanced out nicely and the overall picture seemed to sync.
I may be a bit delusional, but I'd swear the overall PQ has gotten better (even before the tweaks).

I plan on running the calibration a few more times over the next few weeks, and will post my findings upon discovery.

Stupid but annoying--- I use a Harmony 880 remote and have discovered that the input control for the TV is very odd (maybe even ancient). There seems to be no way of deleting the labels for the non-used inputs, nor from the functionality of the remote. The regular input button cycles through all listed inputs, and the actual labled input buttons on the remote cycle through their respective lables (i.e. pushing the "component" button cycles through both component inputs; pushing the HDMI cycles through all 4 HDMI inputs.) So my problem is getting the remote to choose the correct input without cycling to the other similar input, and thereby choosing the wrong input. Once I figure this out, I'll post a fix, as I'm sure other universals will discover this too.

Other than that...I'm becoming increasingly happier with my Vizio.
post #3 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I use a Harmony 880 remote and have discovered that the input control for the TV is very odd (maybe even ancient). There seems to be no way of deleting the labels for the non-used inputs, nor from the functionality of the remote. The regular input button cycles through all listed inputs, and the actual labled input buttons on the remote cycle through their respective lables (i.e. pushing the "component" button cycles through both component inputs; pushing the HDMI cycles through all 4 HDMI inputs.) So my problem is getting the remote to choose the correct input without cycling to the other similar input, and thereby choosing the wrong input. Once I figure this out, I'll post a fix, as I'm sure other universals will discover this too.

Call Harmony and ask for a level two technician. He will help with the "toggling" of inputs.

I had the the same problem with my Vizio 50". What he will do is make the tv switch to an unused input then switch directly to the correct input. He will also mess with the timing of the remote.

It took about 45 minutes of testing over the phone to dial it in. He will do all the testing on his end (you give him your user name and password) then you update on your end.

I was very impressed with Logitech's customer support.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 01:58 PM

I, too, am ready to make the leap. I have two GV47L's and they work flawlessly.

I purchased the $650 articulating Omnimount UCL-X. It is rated at 200 lbs. I have it holding a GV47L at 70 lbs and it works great, but I'm still not 100% confident.

Do you think I'm pushing it with the 160 lbs. 60 plasma? I won't get it if I can't mount it properly. And going from 1080P LCD to 720P Plasma has me concerned, too.

Please help me feel better about my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardkey View Post

Official Vizio VM60 Owners Thread Okay, so I decided to just go ahead and pull the trigger. I purchased the VM60 this past weekend.(and got the manager to okay the coupon rebate at the end of the month). I had no idea about the Costco policy change, so I'm hoping that I'm gonna be "grandfathered".

Here are my initial thoughts....
It is BIG. I upgraded from a 62" Sony RP and expected the screen to be relatively similar. Its not. The overall TV is much larger in my house than I anticipated (which is okay), and the image size is also much larger than I expected. I'm sure this is a result of becoming accostomed to the view of the large sets during my shopping period.

It is heavy. Very heavy. I purchased a stand on which I could mount it like a typical wall mount. The stand is rated for 250lbs and I'm already having some bending of the metal (not happy about this, but thats a different story).

There is no mention in Vizios information about conditioning the TV or any type of break in period. However, I have heeded the advice of others and have been viewing mostly HD channels and have not yet tweaked any of the settings.

I've scrolled through the picture modes (movie, standard, game, etc.) to see the results, and have been a bit disappointed. I'm hoping that my Avia calibration stuff will really help....(keeping my fingers crossed).

Without a better TV to compare it to in my house, the PQ on the HD channels and on DVD's is absolutely AMAZING. Vibrant, sharp, detailed, and "deep". I sit approximately 14 feet away from the screen, and I can see every detail.

Until I log a few more hours and run the Avia, I won't comment on the PQ details. I have noticed many of the issues discussed here regarding black levels, sharpness, etc, but I think I'll be able to improve these somewhat with tweaking.

Right out of the box, the PQ is good. Not great or excellent, but pretty darn good.

The sound quality is also very good, and it has two nice features....an auto audio leveler and a surround simulator. I'm still teaking this to figure out which is best for each type of program, so I'll post more on this too as I get deeper into it.

The quality of the regular channels (Comcast cable) pretty much sucks, but that is unavoidable.

Also, I discovered something interesting, which I assume would happen with any plasma. I wear glasses to see distance, but with my old TV I could comfortably watch without needing to wear them. The impurities in the signal just seemed to meld with my eye deficiencies. With the new plasma I seem to need my glasses much more. I guess the sharper detail at that distance compounds my vision problem. Not a big deal, but it was definately a noticable annoyance....something I'll just need to get used to.

Overall, I am satisfied. It looks great in my house, the PQ is good and it has been completely glitch free (again with the fingers crossed).

We aren't ready to plop down another grand for the Panny, so unless something goes horribly wrong, we'll stick with this and enjoy our HD bliss.

post #5 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I wouldn't worry at all about the resolution at normal viewing distances. To me the importance of resolution falls behind, contrast ratio/dynamic range, color saturation, and color temp or gray scale.
post #6 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the Harmony. I'll get on the phone with them tomorrow.

As for the stand, I can't really comment. We purchased one from CC. We listened to the salesman who said not to worry, It'd work for the tv. So, long and short, we discover the stand is actually sized for a 50". We had the CC guys install it, and so far its doing okay. The stand has an articulated arm, and as I posted earlier, is rated for 250lbs.

Well, within a few minutes, the tv (suspended on the arms) pitched about 10 degrees forward, from vertical. Within the next day or so, it seemed to creep a bit further. I ended up reattaching the Vizio stand to the tv, so now the tv is supported by both the arms, and the top rack. I'll give this about another week and see how it goes.

Bottom line here is that this TV is a Monster. I'm taking comfort in the fact that any idiot who breaks in to steal it will pop his goodies trying to move it.

I too, was worried about not getting the 1080. But there is a ton of great advice and information about this topic, and now from my own experience, I gotta say...I can't imagine it being better.

I spent the evening watching Discovery HD. I couldn't believe the clarity and detail. The last time I was so stunned by PQ was when I first saw a DVD.
post #7 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Congrats guardkey, just curious does the vizio light-emblem on the tv stay on all the time or can you turn it off.
post #8 of 480 Old 03-01-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Yes the Vizio logo stays lit all the time. When the set is on, the logo is white, and when the set is off, the logo glows orange.

Not a biggie...I hardly notice it anymore.
post #9 of 480 Old 03-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

I saw this set in COSTCO, LA,CA also. They had around 10 in stock. This was besides panasonic 58", and i did not see much difference in terms of Picture Quality.
This things weighs 180 pounds!! Manager said they will return the difference if i bring the 300 off coupon anytime in that week only!!
Very tempting, should pull the trigger in 10 days, thinking of applying the amex blue card and purchase with no interest no payments for 15months.
post #10 of 480 Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 AM

Just corious, where did you get the rebate from??
post #11 of 480 Old 03-03-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

The rebate is in the form of a coupon which arrived in a coupon book from Costco.
post #12 of 480 Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

I called Vizio today to help with an issue I was having, which turned out to be a cable box issue. While on the phone, I asked the tech support guy whether the VM60 needs to be conditioned or broken-in, in any way.

He flat out told me no. It did not require any type of break in, whatsoever. I explained why I asked, and that the overwhelming majority seems to believe this is necessary. He again said that no, their TVs do not need it.

...we'll see!

T+ seven days, 3 hours...and still in love.

I expect to have about 105 hours logged by the end of tonight.
post #13 of 480 Old 03-04-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Stupid but annoying--- I use a Harmony 880 remote and have discovered that the input control for the TV is very odd (maybe even ancient). There seems to be no way of deleting the labels for the non-used inputs, nor from the functionality of the remote. The regular input button cycles through all listed inputs, and the actual labled input buttons on the remote cycle through their respective lables (i.e. pushing the "component" button cycles through both component inputs; pushing the HDMI cycles through all 4 HDMI inputs.) So my problem is getting the remote to choose the correct input without cycling to the other similar input, and thereby choosing the wrong input. Once I figure this out, I'll post a fix, as I'm sure other universals will discover this too.

Other than that...I'm becoming increasingly happier with my Vizio.

I still can't believe Vizio hasn't made discreet codes for each input. I have the P50, and this is my one and only gripe. I mean come on, how hard can it be? Looks like they enjoy using the same remote over and over though!
post #14 of 480 Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 PM

I bought the Vizio 60 inch Plasma 7 days ago and quite happy with the big screen. The HD channels from my cable company look great. The sound from the speakers are also decent. One thing I noticed was a ticking sound when tv is turned on initially and lasts for about 30 minutes or so, then goes away. Anyone encountered this?
post #15 of 480 Old 03-05-2007, 05:23 AM

Hey from those who have one, how is the fan noise?
post #16 of 480 Old 03-05-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

I notice the fan when I turn on the tv in a quite room, but that's it. If I listen for it, I can hear it, but it certainly isn't an issue.
My fridge fan (which is in the other room) is more noticeable than the tv.

Not a problem for me at all.
post #17 of 480 Old 03-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Hey guardkey would you be able to post some pics of your set up
post #18 of 480 Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Do you mean physical setup or picture settings? I'm happy to do either, but I'm a bit curious as to why.
post #19 of 480 Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 PM

Was looking for a physical setup pic. I have the a stand where you can mount the tv as you would on the wall. I noticed you were saying that there was some bending in the metal want to see how bad it was I'm about to pull the trigger on this tv and wanted to see if I should grab a mount or stay with the stand I have now.
post #20 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try to post some pictures today, however I don't know how to do this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

To your question... I have a z-line phantom 50 stand. It has 3 shelves and an articulated mounting rack. The tv is mounted to the rack, but since the rack was bending, I reinstalled the original vizio stand.

The distance from the underneath of the stand to the top of the shelf is about 3/4 of an inch, so at this time only the front edge is in contact with the top shelf. This has corrected most of the forward tip, but not all. It is now tipped forward about 2-4 degrees.

I will be adding a thin board to the top shelf to eliminate the gap which will allow the tv to sit perfectly verticle. So, when all is done, the tv will be held in place by the wall mount and be sitting on the top shelf of the rack.

While I do feel comfortable that the tv is secure, I realize that my setup is a bit overkill. Since the tv is so heavy and the rack is already in place, I will continue to use this. My suggestion would be to shop for the "top shelf" type rack and not to use the rack I have.

If however, there is a rack system (with wall mount) that could comfortably support the weight of the tv, than i'd suggest that. Having the ability to easily turn left or right, as well as in and out would be really nice. The mount on my current stand, while rated for 250lbs, taxed the joints to the point where any movement required alot of effort.

I do like my rack...don't get me wrong. It looks good, and is the perfect size for my room.

Okay, I'll try with the pictures, but any suggestions would be nice.

Thanks
post #21 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Just read the in-store review (Costco) of the Vizio 60" right here at the AVS Forum. Compared to the Panasonic and Phillips they thought the Vizio sucked. Calibrated or un calibrated the Vizio fared poorly. I was hoping to get one of these but not now.
post #22 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM

I just purchased this TV and have it set up at home. The picture was a little off at first but I swear that after a few days it has dramatically improved and this is without my having done any calibration.

I guess it needs a bit of a break in period.

I am very pleased with this purchase.
post #23 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Guardkey, a tip on the pictures is to turn the flash off on your camera.

Might have to resize pictures if using the manage attachments right below submit reply.
post #24 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Zues, for the tip....however (I'm embarrassed to say), I don't even know how to upload them to this site.
post #25 of 480 Old 03-06-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on the purchase, orbeyonde. I too, think the picture has gotten better.
I think I'm at about 165 hours (11days @ 15 per day), and the pic has definately improved. I am very paranoid about breakin and burn in, so I've been cycling through HD channels, 4:3 ratio, regular channels, movies, dvds, etc. So far, nothing but improved picture to report.

Other than the excruciating pain in my wallet, I'm thrilled. I'm still watching the HD channels with wide-eyes and my jaw dropped....I hope that never goes away.

Good Luck, andy sullivan! Let us know how your P or P works for you!
post #26 of 480 Old 03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Zues, for the tip....however (I'm embarrassed to say), I don't even know how to upload them to this site.

It's cool. When you hit submit reply like responding to a question on this thread scroll down a little more and you will see manage attachments,click that, then hit browse-if your pictures are in your desktop click that, then just select picture-then upload. Might have to resize pictures as it will tell you the maximum size allowed. It can be alot of frustration
post #27 of 480 Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Forgive me if this has been asked in this thread or the other but to those that have the set:

How do you adjust the overscan. Is there a series of remote and display buttons that must be depressed to enter some sort of service menu?
post #28 of 480 Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, sorry for the delay. Here are the pictures of my TV and rack. The 3rd picture shows the degree of forward tilt from the base relative to the top rack. The 2nd picture shows the wall-mount piece of the rack, but its hard to see the stress on the joints.

On another note, you'll notice that I have the TV in a very bright room. Still, the PQ is great.

joeyjoeyjoey, I'm not familiar with this issue, nor how to address any adjustments. Any info or help would be great.

Thanks
LL
LL
LL
post #29 of 480 Old 03-08-2007, 01:52 PM

I'm going to buy this TV in a few weeks...where are all of the inputs and jacks? I need to plan ahead of time for my installation. I will be mounting on the wall above our fireplace. Any recommendations on articulating wall mounts for this set?
Thanks.
post #30 of 480 Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

All of the jacks are in the rear of the set....about 1/3 up from the bottom.

As for a wall mount...I cannot comment...sorry
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page