Would you tilt? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You seem a really handy person. Great pictures on your other thread.

In your post on 1/10/07 you showed the framing behind the fireplace.

In view of everything else you have done, it doesn't seem like a big deal (easy for me to say) to rebuild your recess. Can you not cut out the existing recess using a reciprocating saw and bi-metal blades. Then rebuild it using two by sixes? That would give you enough depth to do what you like regarding tilting. It looks like there is enough room to do that without hitting the fireplace vent. Insulation would probably be required - if not there already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Here's a different vote: Tilting bracket, but DON'T TILT.

Keeping the panel flat with the wall looks more "art" like.

I'll second, third, fourth. etc that tilting does not alter the angle you'll have to bend your neck. I have my Pio 1540 mounted with the bottom of the set about 6.5' from the floor. I sit 13-14' away and usually recline so my head is back anyways, plus at the distance I sit I don't have to bend my neck much, if any.

I went with a tilting bracket NOT so I can tilt it for viewing, but only so I can tilt it UP so I can make my connections easier. Will that Monoprice mount tilt up? It helps especially with the heavier sets. Of course now that I'm all connected I don't have to access the back all that much anymore, but when I've added equipment later it would have been more difficult to make those connections had the panel been right up against the wall. The Sanus VMPL3 I bought came with a non-tilt bracket too which would have put it even closer to the wall and made it even more difficult for connections.

Will the placement of your outlets get in the way of the bolts for the mount, or is the width of the mount enough to allow you to bolt it down outside of the recess for your outlets?

My mount looks identical to the in your pics, and has a 15 degree tilt, but something is strange. The pic you show with yours tilted, is tilted much more than mine actually tilts. When i tilt it up, I get a TON more tilt, then when tilting down...

my mount. http://simplicity.sanus.com/index.php/us/en/products/tilting-mount/SXDP3

4173f4e0_image.jpeg

39b050e2_image.jpeg

I need to get more "tilt". When seated in the couch the 3D is a little blurry and has slight doubling. If I start to sit up it gets perfectly clear. I know this is an issue with passive 3d if you are more than 20 degrees below the TV. I have to figure out a way to get more tilt. It's already on a tilt mount, but not enough tilt. Any ideas?

2d viewing is perfect and no complaints.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Stupid question, but are you sure the mounting brackets are installed correctly? I.e. they aren't mounted upside down are they? Only other thing I can think to do is to put shims between the mounting bracket and the wall on the top only. This would push the top out more and thus put the mount at an angle facing downward.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Stupid question, but are you sure the mounting brackets are installed correctly? I.e. they aren't mounted upside down are they? Only other thing I can think to do is to put shims between the mounting bracket and the wall on the top only. This would push the top out more and thus put the mount at an angle facing downward.

Good idea on the shims. I don't think anything is on backwards but see these pics. It's seems like the opposite of your pics. I seem to have much more "up" tilt?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep I see what you mean. If it's not the cables behind it getting i the way, it does look like it doesn't tilt down as much. I had a friend who once installed his mount upside down (which I didn't even think was possible but he made it happen) and it threw the angles off. If that's not the case with yours, you could use shims. Just make sure the lag bolts are still long enough to get some good bite into the studs or anchors.

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display