Would you tilt? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So this is my setup:

Panasonic TH-50PH9UK (50" plasma) is going to be mounted over the fireplace. I bought a monoprice wall mount that can tilt up to 15 degrees. I plan on having the center of the TV at around 48-49" above floor level.

Why I'm asking is because the brick is about an inch and a half thick, I can mount the tv straight to the wall and the mount would be hidden by the brick, but I would lose the ability to tilt. If I wanted to have the ability to tilt, I'd put a 1.5" spacer behind the mount, but then the TV would be farther away from the wall.

So, at this height, and at a ~12' viewing distance, would I see any benifit from tilting the display down? I am definitely leaning towards a flush mount with no tilt.

My setup: (still a bit to finish yet)

Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I use a tilt in my bedroom system. I like it a lot

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #3 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Liked: 44
Well i just measure my set (50" Samsung) and I sit almost exactly 12' (eyes to screen) from the display. The ECP (Exact Center Point) of mine is 43" from the floor and mine has a 5 degree tilt forward.

So yours would be 5" to 6" higher. Is it the "built in" look thatyou want? as opposed to seeing the panel "sticking out and tilting forward?"

I do know one thing, if you are lifting your head up to watch TV it will become uncomfortable after a while.

Your call. lets see what others say
post #4 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Well i just measure my set (50" Samsung) and I sit almost exactly 12' (eyes to screen) from the display. The ECP (Exact Center Point) of mine is 43" from the floor and mine has a 5 degree tilt forward.

So yours would be 5" to 6" higher. Is it the "built in" look thatyou want? as opposed to seeing the panel "sticking out and tilting forward?"

I do know one thing, if you are lifting your head up to watch TV it will become uncomfortable after a while.

Your call. lets see what others say

Yeah, I sure would like to have the built in look, but not at the expense of an uncomfortable or improper viewing experience.

A few more opinions would definitely be appreciated but I am thinking about making the tilt fully functional after reading the last two replies. I have never seen a tilt mount in use, how are they when you are not facing them directly from the front, say 25 degrees to the left or right? Would a straight mount be better for angle viewing?
post #5 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

Yeah, I sure would like to have the built in look, but not at the expense of an uncomfortable or improper viewing experience.

A few more opinions would definitely be appreciated but I am thinking about making the tilt fully functional after reading the last two replies. I have never seen a tilt mount in use, how are they when you are not facing them directly from the front, say 25 degrees to the left or right? Would a straight mount be better for angle viewing?

Plasma displays keep their PQ at an angle, whether horrizontal or vertical, unlike LCDs. From this perspective, therefore, I do not believe at 12' you need to tilt the screen.

However, from another perspective you may well want or need to tilt the screen.

BTW your fireplace looks great and I can see where a built in look would be really cool.

The perspective I mentioned above is one of reflection. In your case, I would consider the tilt if and only if I needed to do so to avoid distracting reflections. The picture you provided did not indicate whether such reflections might be present in your room.

50" can at times be a bit small from 12'. If my seating was not movable and if I occasionally, like for some movies, wanted to sit closer, then if I also wanted tilt I might also get an articulating arm mount. This way not only could I tilt (and swivel) the display but I could also move it forward about 3' bringing the display up to about 9' from the viesing position. Just an additional thought.

Cheers,

Gary
post #6 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 PM

I have my 55" Hitachi on a tilt mount about 9' from the couch over my gas fireplace. For the 1st few days I left the TV straight out and definitely noticed some neck fatigue. After getting all the cables squared away, I tilted it down about 10 degrees so the screen would be perpendicular to my line of sight. It helped with PQ, reflections, and neck strain. I think if viewing comfort is important, I would mount it tilt. If a clean looking install is key, then go with the flush mount.
post #7 of 35 Old 03-08-2007, 10:37 PM

Are the air vents for the set, all around the display, or only on the top of the display?

I am not familiar with you display.
post #8 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 12:32 AM

The only benefit I can see is a better ability to minimize reflections...if your room has many windows that is. Tilting the screen will point the set towards your viewing height, but you still have to look up at it if it's higher, tilt or not. I have our 55" at eye level in the living room, and the 42"bedroom set is up probably as high as what you are doing on a straight mount. I like watching both sets equally well. My vote goes for the straight mount IF reflections aren't bad in that room.
post #9 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 AM

A simple experiment can solve the neck strain issue fast enough. Mount a picture in the space where the PDP will sit . . . hang it flush .. .then put your chair where you would be normally sitting and stare at the picture for 30 minutes. See if your neck feels at all uncomfortable.
post #10 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

tilt

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #11 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motovet View Post

Tilting the screen will point the set towards your viewing height, but you still have to look up at it if it's higher, tilt or not.

I have to totaly agree. I can't see how tilting the screen affects the neck strain. Regardless of a tilt you have to look up at the same angle.

Cheers,

Gary
post #12 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itigap View Post

I have to totaly agree. I can't see how tilting the screen affects the neck strain. Regardless of a tilt you have to look up at the same angle.

Cheers,

Gary

How do you figure. The purpose of the tilt is to reduce the look up angle of the head. The distance is 12 ' and the height is 4' which is "off eye center.' Approx. 43" becomes "on eye center." That 6" does mean something at that viewing distance.

If no tilt then he could never move closer to the screen as the look up angle will increase proportionately.

Keep in mind that the eye/brain's worst vision angle is looking forward (about 60 degrees) as opposed to side to side (about 160 degrees)

That 15 degree tilt may mean the difference between, I am really enjoying my HDTV with all the HD . . . or my HDTV looks really cool . . .when it is turned off.
post #13 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

How do you figure. The purpose of the tilt is to reduce the look up angle of the head. The distance is 12 ' and the height is 4' which is "off eye center.' Approx. 43" becomes "on eye center." That 6" does mean something at that viewing distance.

If no tilt then he could never move closer to the screen as the look up angle will increase proportionately.

Keep in mind that the eye/brain's worst vision angle is looking forward (about 60 degrees) as opposed to side to side (about 160 degrees)

That 15 degree tilt may mean the difference between, I am really enjoying my HDTV with all the HD . . . or my HDTV looks really cool . . .when it is turned off.

IMO, tilted or not, you're still looking up at an uncomfortable angle for the neck.
See crude illustrations below (clickable)
Tilted:

Not tilted
post #14 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Tilting has NOTHING to do with neck strain. The TV will still be at the same height tilted or not. Tilting is used to reduce reflections and viewing angle.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #15 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies - was more than I was expecting. I think what I am going to do is attempt to mount it as flush and as clean as I can initially. If I find that the viewing experience is less than ideal, I will look into tilting. Changing is not difficult, is basically putting a piece of lumber (1 by or 2 by) behind the mount to act as a spacer.

If anyone's interested, I'll be posting pictures in my thread when complete.
Thanks again.
post #16 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 10:27 AM

My recommendation would be not to get a tilt mount. My Dad and I each have 50" Pio 5070s mounted above our fireplaces. His is not a tilt mount, mine is. Mine is slightly better to watch, no doubt, but man his sits so much closer to the wall. (I have a Mustang mount, not sure what his is). Seeing his has almost made me want to switch mine. Neither one of them are "built in." If I had gone to all the work you have to make it look built in, I would definitely go with the flat mount. I'm sure it will look fantastic -- I'm envious.

Ours look to be similar heighth to yours. I sit about 11 or 12 feet away primarily; he sits about 14 feet away primarily. The viewing angle is fantastic on these tvs, so you should not have a problem.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishin32 View Post

IMO, tilted or not, you're still looking up at an uncomfortable angle for the neck.
See crude illustrations below (clickable)
Tilted:

Not tilted

I like that drawing...explains it all....
post #18 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMullet View Post

Wow, thanks a lot for the replies - was more than I was expecting. I think what I am going to do is attempt to mount it as flush and as clean as I can initially. If I find that the viewing experience is less than ideal, I will look into tilting. Changing is not difficult, is basically putting a piece of lumber (1 by or 2 by) behind the mount to act as a spacer.

IMHO, tilting does nothing to improve the picture quality or neck comfort and i much prefer the look of a flat mounted TV (no tilt), but if you have recessed lighting in the ceiling then tilting it down may be necessary to prevent the recessed lights from reflecting in the screen, and even then the small amount of tilt may not be enough to eliminate the reflections so if you do have recessed lighting you should get a few helpers and have them hold a similar sized mirror or glass picture in the plasma nook while you sit in your seating position and check to see if it reflects the lights or not.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #19 of 35 Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a different vote: Tilting bracket, but DON'T TILT.

Keeping the panel flat with the wall looks more "art" like.

I'll second, third, fourth. etc that tilting does not alter the angle you'll have to bend your neck. I have my Pio 1540 mounted with the bottom of the set about 6.5' from the floor. I sit 13-14' away and usually recline so my head is back anyways, plus at the distance I sit I don't have to bend my neck much, if any.

I went with a tilting bracket NOT so I can tilt it for viewing, but only so I can tilt it UP so I can make my connections easier. Will that Monoprice mount tilt up? It helps especially with the heavier sets. Of course now that I'm all connected I don't have to access the back all that much anymore, but when I've added equipment later it would have been more difficult to make those connections had the panel been right up against the wall. The Sanus VMPL3 I bought came with a non-tilt bracket too which would have put it even closer to the wall and made it even more difficult for connections.

Will the placement of your outlets get in the way of the bolts for the mount, or is the width of the mount enough to allow you to bolt it down outside of the recess for your outlets?

post #20 of 35 Old 03-10-2007, 12:56 AM

Personally for me, I did notice less strain after I tilted my TV down. For me, the tilt improved the angle of view. When my TV was flat, I felt like I had to focus a bit higher to see the center of the image. With my set tilted down angle, to me, I feel like I'm looking dead on towards the TV. I agree with the diagram that tilting doesn't change the height of where the TV is, but for me, having the screen perpendicular to my line of sight did lower my neck discomfort. I don't know if my seating distance has anything to do with it. I'm at about 9' versus the 11-12' the others seem to be sitting at.

I do have to agree that I think flat mounting is more aesthetically pleasing. In addition, my tilt mount made attaching cables MUCH easier by tilting the monitor up. The best option sounds like to mount yours flat and see how you like it.
post #21 of 35 Old 03-10-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

I went with a tilting bracket NOT so I can tilt it for viewing, but only so I can tilt it UP so I can make my connections easier. Will that Monoprice mount tilt up?

No, it won't tilt up, I have a minimum of connections that I can make and I will make them before I mount the TV. I could see how a up tilt would be handy for connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Will the placement of your outlets get in the way of the bolts for the mount, or is the width of the mount enough to allow you to bolt it down outside of the recess for your outlets?

The recess for the outlets is built between 16" OC studs, I will have just enough room to mount the mount. I am a bit concerned that I did not build the recess deep enough, as it is only 1.5" deep, this may cause the connections at the wall plates to bend unnecessarily, in this case I will have to go with the spacer behind the mount.

I didn't realize that this monoprice mount stuck out so far opposed to the other options out there, I may have been better off with another mount.
post #22 of 35 Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

It looks like the mounting plate has holes in it that you could run the cables through? Maybe running them through there would eliminate or reduce the severity of bends in the cables?

If that won't work, I wonder if that mount could be cut? You'd have to have a good saw blade, maybe even a hacksaw could cut it. If so, depending on where the arms need to be attached to the back of the set (at least 16" apart), you could just cut out the center of the mount plate. Of course this could reduce the integrity of the mount, but if you had enough room to put 2-4 bolts through each piece it should be sturdy enough.
post #23 of 35 Old 03-10-2007, 05:57 PM

"I will have just enough room to mount the mount."

My concern with that sentence is that if you will have enough space to set the actual plasma in place since it slips in from the top. Being that you have a tilt mount it will help but make sure you got a total of three people trying to set your screen in.

"I didn't realize that this monoprice mount stuck out so far opposed to the other options out there, I may have been better off with another mount. "[/quote]

If you change to another mount at some point don't get a fixed mount cause it would be almost impossible to make connections and to set the screen in.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-10-2007, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

To use a fixed mount you'd need 2 people to hold it up while you make the connections, then lift it up and in. May be tough but it can be done.
post #25 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would install the tilt mount. That way, you have the option to tilt or not tilt. If you install the flush/fixed mount, you're stuck. Of course you say it's easy enough to put the spacer in but why not just do it the first time.

Also, if you like the flush mount for presentation, you can tilt the screen back to flush (if it's adjustable without tools) when company is over and when you're watching TV, tilt it down.

I prefer the tilt. I'm not partial to the TV over the fireplace anyways, but if i had to do it, i'd tilt. I think the flush mount at that height looks silly and unnatural.

Good luck!
post #26 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM

I chose tilt mount. The new plasmas are excellent for reducing reflections, but I angled mine down just enough so if a light comes on there is no reflection at all.
post #27 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I suggest remove those ugly stones and put some nice tiles around the fireplace with a nice mantle. Will lower your viewing angle a lot. Ps you can get a tilt mount and you don't have to tilt it.

Pioneer 5080 & Elite 111
Ps3 Blu Ray
XboX 360 Elite
Pioneer BD51fD
post #28 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I must say..above fireplace mounting looks good, but I'm glad my wife wouldn't allow it in favor of a large antique mirror. Why? Well, when I go to my buddies house to watch something (he has a 46" Sony XBR lcd above fireplace mounted) my neck is sore only after a couple of hours. He has his mounted a little higher than most, but even tilted down it is very strange to look up that high for long periods of time. The bottom of the bezel on my plasma is exactly 32" from the floor and we find this is a perfect height for comfotable viewing.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #29 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 04:32 PM

No offense but...
What I don't understand is why do builders/people put spaces/mount their tv's above the fireplace in the first place?

If you want to watch tv and have a fire going, it's competition for your eyes.
It also causes dilemmas such as what the concern is here.
Plus if you did any sort of HT, what about about a center channel?
post #30 of 35 Old 01-11-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post

No offense but...
What I don't understand is why do builders/people put spaces/mount their tv's above the fireplace in the first place?

There are many room geometries where the most sensible location is over the fireplace.

For instance, I have a fairly long, fairly narrow room with the fireplace on one of the narrow walls. If I put the TV on the wall opposite the fireplace, I have to put the back of my couch smack dab in front of the fireplace - a lot of the utility of the fireplace goes out the door and I can't enjoy the fireplace and the TV at the same time. Plus it's just a waste of real estate.

On the other hand, if I put the TV on one of the "side" walls with the couch on the opposite side from the TV, I am (at least I consider myself to be) uncomfortably close to the TV.

To be sure, there are some potential alternate arrangements (e.g., put the TV opposite the fireplace and lay the couch out along the side wall so I'm watching from an off-center angle, or do some diagonalizing), but none that I don't consider unnatural and inferior.

(That said, I do have my TV opposite the fireplace and largely watch from the off-center angle, moving the couch around sometimes when appropriate. But I'm not really happy with that solution.)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50ph9uk 50 Plasma Display
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page