Samsung xx34, xx44, xx54, xx64 Series Plasma Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My HDMI is always grayed out too. I also don't get any sound on them.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125 View Post

My HDMI is always grayed out too. I also don't get any sound on them.

Just my HDMI black adjust is grayed out. I get sound on my HDMI but it just sometimes drops but is fixed when the channel is changed or I turn off the TV and back on. This doesn't happen so often.
post #273 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG1914 View Post

L_Bo, I like that stand, what company makes it?

Not sure, I picked it up at Wal-Mart! Thanks, I was looking for something temporary while my dad, a woodworking hobbyist, is making me a stand. I came across this and really liked the black finish and dark glass to match the set. Most idiot proof assembly instructions ever as well, not bad for $130.
post #274 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller23217 View Post

How can I adjust the HDMI black level setting? It's always grayed out on my set and I can't change it from "normal."

Mine's greyed out when I watch DirecTV through HDMI1, but if I play a DVD through HDMI2, it is active and can be adjusted. Its only active when the external input connects to HDMI signals.

If you put a DVD on and then adjust it, It will carry over and stay that way watching from other sources like cable/satellite. If you ever want to adjust it, you'll just have to do it while watching a DVD through HDMI...
post #275 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres1 View Post

If you go to Picture > Detailed Settings > Black Adjust, you can set it to Off, Low, Medium or High through HDMI. Not sure why it's greyed out under Setup...

I know...but I was talking about the HDMI black adjust (I don't know the difference) because the settings posted by zippybonghits indicated that he had set his to low. The manual says something about the output HDMI, but I don't understand it.
post #276 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I know...but I was talking about the HDMI black adjust (I don't know the difference) because the settings posted by zippybonghits indicated that he had set his to low. The manual says something about the output HDMI, but I don't understand it.

Hi...just figured it out. See my edited post above...
post #277 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSeattleGuY View Post

Quick question for 4254 owners.

Do you have small black bars (about 4-6 pixels) remaining after using the wide mode to view 4:3 content?

I find that on some content, there is still a small amount of black left after stretching it. It's usually on the left side. I went to the store I bought it at and the display model did it too. It's not a huge deal, but I don't want burn in/IR even on the far left 4 pixels. It's not always there. I wondered about the pixel shift function, but turned that off and it's still there.

I only get this using JustScan with 4:3 content. It doesn't happen on mine using 16:9 to view 4:3.
post #278 of 8389 Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Mine's greyed out when I watch DirecTV through HDMI1, but if I play a DVD through HDMI2, it is active and can be adjusted. Its only active when the external input connects to HDMI signals.

If you put a DVD on and then adjust it, It will carry over and stay that way watching from other sources like cable/satellite. If you ever want to adjust it, you'll just have to do it while watching a DVD through HDMI...

I don't have another HDMI source device except for my cable box. Am I out of luck?
post #279 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Hi all...1st post. Thanks for the help while I was lurking. Just got my 4254 last weekend. I'm running the DirecTV HD DVR through HDMI to the set, and optical to the HTIB. The SD quality I get is great, same as I get on my Sony HD CRT.

Of course, HD and upconverted DVD's are unbelievable!

No buzz, no pink...this set is great.

And I still have it on the break in settings...

Because of you, I think I may try directTV to get better SD results and more HD content than Charter (cable) can provide - my SD is lousy. Do you know if DirectTV has a better picture than dish network? How about the number of HD channels comming online this year?
post #280 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM

I'll let you know what I think of Dish on my 5054 later. the installer is due at my house this afteroon.

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
post #281 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im1fan2nv View Post

Is my TV messed up? I get this when I first turn the tv on. If I turn the TV back off, then on again, it goes away. I have the 4254.
Thanks for any input!

Well, I called sammy and they told me something must be wrong with my set. So, they said I could either return it or they would have someone come fix it. So, I called and There is still stock, so I'm just going to return it.
post #282 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpat View Post

I'll let you know what I think of Dish on my 5054 later. the installer is due at my house this afteroon.

Awesome. I'm very interested in what you think as I will probably following what you do. I was curious as to why you thought Dish is a better choice over directTV? I heard DirectTV is supposed to have like a 100 HD channels within the year. Perhaps Dish is going to as well? Maybe Dish is just better price wise. Anyhow, any insite is appreciated. Maybe one has better picture quality? Thanks in advance.
post #283 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolGPS View Post

Awesome. I'm very interested in what you think as I will probably following what you do. I was curious as to why you thought Dish is a better choice over directTV? I heard DirectTV is supposed to have like a 100 HD channels within the year. Perhaps Dish is going to as well? Maybe Dish is just better price wise. Anyhow, any insite is appreciated. Maybe one has better picture quality? Thanks in advance.

Got everything installed. PQ on non HD channels is dramatical better over analog cable. HD is very good, but not quite as good as the cable's HD. If I didn't know better, it'd be completely awesome. still a dramatic improvement over SD channels though. can't wait to see Planet Earth in HD. Dish has more HD content than my cable provider does.

To make this post somewhat relevant, here's my current settings.

mode: standard
contrast: 70
brightness: 50
sharpness: 40
color: 50
tint: default
color tone: normal
black adjust: low
dynamic contrast: low
gamma:0
color space: wide
white balance
r-offset: 15
g-offset: 10
b-offset: 10
r-gain: 15
b-gain: 10
g-gain: 14
D NR: auto
DNIe: on

I haven't gotten a calibration disc yet, so this is me just eyeballing it. looks pretty good to me so far.

post #284 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Bo View Post

Not sure, I picked it up at Wal-Mart! Thanks, I was looking for something temporary while my dad, a woodworking hobbyist, is making me a stand. I came across this and really liked the black finish and dark glass to match the set. Most idiot proof assembly instructions ever as well, not bad for $130.

L_Bo
I also like your tv stand. I tried searching online at Walmart and at my local store and didnt see it. Can you post the manufacturer and item number? I would greatly appreciate it.
post #285 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E View Post

L_Bo
I also like your tv stand. I tried searching online at Walmart and at my local store and didnt see it. Can you post the manufacturer and item number? I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't know I threw the instructions away after I was done and there are no labels on the stand. Looking at Walmarts website I remember it is made by BUSH. I searched and couldn't find it though even on bushfurniture.com, closest thing similar has an additional shelf and runs more than $100 more.

I must have lucked out, here is the two shelf version for bigger sets and rated for more weight;

http://www.bushfurniturecollection.c...Collection.htm
post #286 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 PM

For what it's worth here are the settings I am running with. Adjusted to my eyeballs;

Mode: Movie
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 55
Sharpness: 35
Color: 55
Tint: 50/50

Color Tone: Warm 2
Digital NR: Auto
Active Color: eyed out to off
DNIe: greyed out to off

Detailed Settings
Black Adjust: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Gamma: 0
Color Space: Auto
Edge Enhancement: Off

White Balance
G-Offset and G-Gain 13, all others 15. I noticed a slight greenish hue with factory settings.

I wish I could change the DNIe to on. I remember on one of my settings I could change it to on and, to me at least, it made a noticeable improvement.
post #287 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Because of you, I think I may try directTV to get better SD results and more HD content than Charter (cable) can provide - my SD is lousy. Do you know if DirectTV has a better picture than dish network? How about the number of HD channels comming online this year?

I would imagine that the pictures would be similar, but I've never had dish so I can't compare. I've had DirecTV for a number of years now and have been happy with it. I absolutely must have the NFL Sunday Ticket, and since they're the only provider, they could probably come $@&* on my couch and I'd keep them.

I do know that DTV is all digital, and my understanding it that some SD is broadcast analog over digital cable. I sit about 10 feet away from the 4254, and the SD is more that acceptable to me (that was a big requirement for me as I watch a lot of sports and not all is in HD).

DTV offers local HD throught the box in my area, and the ability to record HD on the DVR is something I'd never give back. So if you're deciding between Dish and DTV, I'd check that.

Also, DTV has launched another satellite and is due to have another 100 HD channels soon. They're also due to have the first 1080p channel later this year (I heard ESPN). Not sure where Dish stands there.

Hope that helps.
post #288 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I don't have another HDMI source device except for my cable box. Am I out of luck?

You may be...what are you using for DVD/Home Theater?

I got the Samsung HT-Q70 system a while back, even before I decided on Sammy for the plasma. It's 5.1 surround with an upconverting 5 disc DVD/CD player. It can be had for just over 3 bills these days, and is money very well spent IMHO.

The sound is great...makes the TV's speakers sound like a transistor radio by comparison. I'm sure audiophiles would shun it, but in order to stay married, I ain't coming home with a $2,500 subwoofer...
post #289 of 8389 Old 04-23-2007, 07:35 PM

[/quote] ...I wish I could change the DNIe to on. I remember on one of my settings I could change it to on and, to me at least, it made a noticeable improvement.[/quote]

Hi...the problem is that DNIe can't be used in "Movie" mode.
post #290 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 12:07 AM

I experimented more with the HDMI and uncovered a similar bug with the 5054 that others are getting. I connected an Onkyo upconverting DVD player via HDMI and about 1:50 into the movie when the audio quit working. What frustration! If you turn the TV off and then back on, the Tv volume starts working again. This must be a design bug that shows up once things warm up. I will call the support line and maybe try a different HDMI cable, but if that fails, the set goes back to the store. It is a bummer because this set looks nice with the HDMI upconverting DVD. Be on the lookout if you connect up to HDMI, because I think this is a design flaw.
post #291 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Agreed. The HDMI ports do have problems. I also can't adjust the black level on mine. I hope a firmware is in the works to fix it. Will keep this set though. There is too much to like to go through the hassle of getting another one.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #292 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I experimented more with the HDMI and uncovered a similar bug with the 5054 that others are getting. I connected an Onkyo upconverting DVD player via HDMI and about 1:50 into the movie when the audio quit working. What frustration! If you turn the TV off and then back on, the Tv volume starts working again. This must be a design bug that shows up once things warm up. I will call the support line and maybe try a different HDMI cable, but if that fails, the set goes back to the store. It is a bummer because this set looks nice with the HDMI upconverting DVD. Be on the lookout if you connect up to HDMI, because I think this is a design flaw.

I made it through a 2 hour DVD now with a new HDMI cable (this cable has a ferrite Core). I will keep trying a few more DVD's and let you know if the HDMI volume drop is gone for good. I'm suspecting it is poor HDMI cable quality that may be contributing to this issue.
post #293 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't even tried attaching the ferrite cores that came with the TV. What exactly are they for? Is there a big benefit to go to my attic and unpack them and put them on?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #294 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 AM

HDMI audio is working fine for me off the Dish receiver. Don't really use the TV for audio though since I'm feeding the audio to my HK receiver.

post #295 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I haven't even tried attaching the ferrite cores that came with the TV. What exactly are they for? Is there a big benefit to go to my attic and unpack them and put them on?

I have not installed the ferrite that came with my set either. My HDMI cable has a ferrite lining in it. Ferrite reduces signal noise in electronics. If you are not having trouble I would not bother installing it (but perhaps someone else on this board knows more reasons for it). If you are having HDMI audio dropouts, I'm thinking this is due to a poor HDMI cable.
post #296 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerpat View Post

HDMI audio is working fine for me off the Dish receiver. Don't really use the TV for audio though since I'm feeding the audio to my HK receiver.

Huskerpat,

Now that you have entered the Satellite realm, on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate Dish from what you have seen so far?

Should I make the leap from my cable to Dish or would you still look into Direct TV?

Thanks.
post #297 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

I have no sound at all from my dvd player to tv with HDMI. I run the sound through my a/v receiver. I was thinking of returning the HDMI cable and just running Component cables. They are cheaper in price and from what I have seen the quality is about the same. What are your thoughts on the Component cables?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #298 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 AM

Are there zoom modes which allow viewing 4:3 or 2.35:1 material which eliminate the black bars but do not distort the image?
post #299 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Huskerpat,

Now that you have entered the Satellite realm, on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate Dish from what you have seen so far?

Should I make the leap from my cable to Dish or would you still look into Direct TV?

Thanks.

This is my personal opinion, so please don't make a decision based on my 1 day of experience with Dish. So far, I'd give it an 7.5. the only thing that knocks it down is that I'm having trouble with one of satellites... happens to be the one that much of the HD stuff is on. probably just a setup issue.

Here were my reasons for Dish. Most of my friends have Dish and are very happy with it (yes, i'd jump off the bridge too if they did). DirectTV has an exclusive on the NFL package, so if you are an NFL junkie i think it wins hands down. That's not a huge issue for me. I get enough games on the networks to keep me happy. Dish also had more HD content at the moment. DTV says they are adding a bunch more this year, but I have to think that Dish and cable will add more as stations are required to broadcast in HD. Best thing to do is to compare programming packages and see which one has what you want to watch. Service is probably pretty compatible between the two.

Your mileage may vary, but it has definitely improved the PQ of what we watch on all the channels.

post #300 of 8389 Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I have no sound at all from my dvd player to tv with HDMI. I run the sound through my a/v receiver. I was thinking of returning the HDMI cable and just running Component cables. They are cheaper in price and from what I have seen the quality is about the same. What are your thoughts on the Component cables?

You need to find the setting in your dvd player and make sure it is outputing audio on your HDMI output and may need to toggle you pcm setting (I think I put it off but can't remember the exact setting) of the DVD player. I had the exact same issue with mine until I told my DVD player to output audio correctly on HDMI. Once I did, the sound comes through fine. I do notice a slight improvement in picture quality on mine using HDMI. Some DVD players will not output HD 720p on component outputs (something to check). But yours might. If I can verifiy my audio problem is related to a bad HDMI cable, I am staying with HDMI. I also like the fact that it is one cable going to my set for audio and video.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page