Samsung xx34, xx44, xx54, xx64 Series Plasma Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 8389 Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Its either "Just scan" or "16x9". Whichever it is, yes does 1:1 pixel mapping. This is confirmed by both an overscan video test pattern and the fact that at 1360x768 the plasma panel leaves 5 pixels without video information(2 on one side, 3 on the other), and the 5 pixel lines can be "blacked out" so as to blend in with the side trim. A nice little feature added by Samsung that comes in very handy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 8389 Old 04-26-2007, 08:50 PM

I am having a problem with the sound from the TV, there is none. Most of my audio comes from my Samsung HTiB and never use the TV speakers. I got the Harmony 880 recently and was going through the settings when I realized this.

The Set top/cable box isn't set to mute, so that's not it. The volume controls on the set top/cable box will go up and down but still no sound even at full and the TV at full.

Connections;
Optical cable connecting cable box to HTiB (shouldn't matter). Component cables from the TV into the cable box, and HDMI 1 connecting to the HTiB for DVD's. Sound is fine coming through the HTiB, but no sound from the TV set itself. I thought maybe the HDMI cable is interfering somehow but it's the same even when I disconnect it from the TV.

In the set up menu under sound everything appears to be normal, internal mute is off, mode is set to movie, SRS Trusurround is On.

At a loss, any ideas?
post #363 of 8389 Old 04-26-2007, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any reviews of the FP-T6374?
post #364 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I went out and got a good HDMI cable last night and it works fine. The picture on HD channels seems to be somewhat better. However, SD channels are a touch less clear.

The bigger disappointment is that with the HDMI cable the Wide Fit option on the SD channels is gone. The two zoom options are horrible as they totally distort the SD picture. Considering that I still watch more SD then HD (an easy thing to do with the few HD channels on Time Warner), I think that HDMI cable is headed back to the store and the component cables are headed back into the tv.
post #365 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I still am not able to adjust my settings with control for HDMI black Level. Mine is greyed out on every option i choose. I have used three different DVD players and still can not change from the default of normal. I am using the Philips 6 foot HDMI cable. My newest DVD player that I tried is a Samsung DVD/VCR Combo player. It is the first one of the three to show a black level adjust in the DVD setup, but it also is greyed out on every setting.

Any suggestions?

I am outputing 720p on the DVD to the TV directly with HDMI.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #366 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eghill1125 View Post

I still am not able to adjust my settings with control for HDMI black Level. Mine is greyed out on every option i choose. I have used three different DVD players and still can not change from the default of normal. I am using the Philips 6 foot HDMI cable. My newest DVD player that I tried is a Samsung DVD/VCR Combo player. It is the first one of the three to show a black level adjust in the DVD setup, but it also is greyed out on every setting.

Any suggestions?

I can't remember buy you may be able to do it while the player is playing or before you hit play, or maybe even before you put the disc in(player on only). It does black out on certain circumstances. Ill look into it tonight for you.
post #367 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Zippy.

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #368 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Any suggestions?

Change the color space on your player to RGB. It is grayed out when the incoming signal is YCbCr.
post #369 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM

can I play a movie with flash drive or external hard drive thru usb tia
post #370 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolGPS View Post

Just made it through another 2 hour DVD no audio drop problem so far on HDMI. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So has the issue been permanently solved with ferrite core cables? I've ordered some in hope that it is...calling Samusung to see how many folks experience this issue, will let all know what they say.
post #371 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Just got off phone with Samsung. After about a 5 minute wait, as 'research was done' the rep told me the sound drop is most likely due to HDMI version imcompatability...the 54 series HDMI ports are v1.3, while the cable boxes, and possibly DVD players expereincing this are v1.2...so prolly screwed by DRM?

Their solution is to get upgraded firmware or cable box with v1.3, or use Component cables...

This make sense to anyone?
post #372 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdad907 View Post

Just got off phone with Samsung. After about a 5 minute wait, as 'research was done' the rep told me the sound drop is most likely due to HDMI version imcompatability...the 54 series HDMI ports are v1.3, while the cable boxes, and possibly DVD players expereincing this are v1.2...so prolly screwed by DRM?

Their solution is to get upgraded firmware or cable box with v1.3, or use Component cables...

This make sense to anyone?

No, the 1.3 implementation should be backward compatible with the 1.2 devices. When a device is developed with a newer version of a standard, the burden is on them to ensure that it works with the gear that is out there.
post #373 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Interesting, I just saw a 5054 plasma and I must say WOW. It blew away every other HDTV in the store. The 1080p Sharp next to it looked awful, the 1080p Samsung looked even worse (4061) and even more to my surprise, the 5054 was on zoom1 and I didn't notice a loss of PQ. Looks like I'll be getting a 4254 instead of a 4042. (I don't need a 50 inch so a 42 inch should be fine) and the extra $800 that the 50 inch costs isn't worth it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #374 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Zippy please educate me!!!

Why should I switch my brand new Sammy LCD LN-T4042H for the HP-T4254?

I don't game and this TV is for our master bedroom (only night time viewing in a dark environment).

Would the plasma be much better than an LCD?

I know you know your stuff and that's why I'm asking you.

Thanks

PS: Let me add that sometime we watch foreign SD channels that display their logos (in blue, red or white) in the upper right corner. If we watch them for periods of 2 or 3 hours will these images burn-in?
post #375 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo232 View Post

Zippy please educate me!!!

Why should I switch my brand new Sammy LCD LN-T4042H for the HP-T4254?

I don't game and this TV is for our master bedroom (only night time viewing in a dark environment).

I know you know your stuff and that's why I'm asking you.

Thanks

PS: Let me add that sometime we watch foreign SD channels that display their logos (in blue, red or white) in the upper right corner. If we watch them for periods of 2 or 3 hours will these images burn-in?

Do you have a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player or a QUALITY upconverting DVD player? How about HD channels? If you do, then you would see benefits by going plasma.

How about I make it simple for you. Switch that 4042H out for the 4254(make sure to use my settings)and tell me why you didn't get it in the first place.

And Im sure you enjoy the slightly larger 42" screen as well.

As for burn-in, after breaking in your plasma burn-in and image retention will not be an issue as long as you use the white maintenance cycle screen on a regular basis(which is basically once a week for an hour or 2).
post #376 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyBongHits View Post

Do you have a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player or a QUALITY upconverting DVD player?

Yes, Philips DVP5960

Quote:

How about HD channels?

Directv HR20-100 HD DVR

Quote:

As for burn-in, after breaking in your plasma burn-in and image retention will not be an issue as long as you use the white maintenance cycle screen on a regular basis(which is basically once a week for an hour or 2).

Do you have a link or recomendation for this break-in period? What did you do for yours?

Thanks mate!!!
post #377 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Yes, Philips DVP5960

Directv HR20-100 HD DVR

Do you have a link or recomendation for this break-in period? What did you do for yours?

Thanks mate!!!

Run full screen material for the first 250 hours roughly with no static images. At the end of each evening of viewing run the white cycle screen for an hour. After about 250 hours burn-in will not be an issue.
post #378 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Looks like the 720p LCD owners are converting to the plasma. I was going to get a LCD, but the Plasma just stood out (I tried to focus on the Sharp to watch for ghosting but I just couldn't pay attention , the Plasma was that good (even on zoom 1) And the price isn't that different from the 42 series so in a few weeks I'll be a 4254 owner!

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #379 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Just wait a few years when 1080p plasmas become affordable and have had a few generations under their belt. My guess is that my next TVs will be 1080p 50" 120hz plasma displays. I'm guessing 2-3 years from now.
post #380 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Zippy,

I noticed that you have been tweaking pretty hard on your set for a few days. when you watch HD over cable/sat, have you now brought down your settings from what is on page 4 of this post. I thought I had read that you have different settings now that are not close to what you had originally had with contrast of 75 and so on.

Just curious?

Ed

PSN - eghill1125
post #381 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Hey Zippy,

I noticed that you have been tweaking pretty hard on your set for a few days. when you watch HD over cable/sat, have you now brought down your settings from what is on page 4 of this post. I thought I had read that you have different settings now that are not close to what you had originally had with contrast of 75 and so on.

Just curious?

RIght now Im at 57 contrast, 37 brightness, 48 color(this seems to be a dead permanent LOCK)through VGA. This is for DVD/HD-DVD and games.

I should be getting my new HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo player this weekend, then Ill be updating HDMI settings.

SD and HD cable I'll be posting settings tonight. I use Time Warner Cable btw.
post #382 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I just switched to plasma after trying 2 quality LCD panels. There isn't a comparison. I'm not sure exactly why everyone is scrambling to get LCDs (myself briefly included). I guess since they're the latest, greatest.

Even getting a middle of the road plasma like the 4254 I have is a HUGE jump in PQ. Don't go by the showroom floor. I like LCDs in bright conditions. Get them home and they fall flat on their face in even moderately light controlled rooms. A well calibrated plasma shines in the typical home environment.
post #383 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 06:31 PM

In comparing the Samsung HP-T4264 to the HP-T4254, the only differences appear to be that the 4264 has the FilterBright anti-glare screen and a usable USB port. Seeing as how I always want the better model, I just bought a 4264, yet on returning home, I found the 4254 at CC for about $300 less. Originally, the price difference between the two was about $100, so it seemed to be worth tracking down the 4264 at another retailer.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether having FilterBright and the USB port is worth the extra cash? I won't be using the USB port much, I'm mainly concerned about picture quality. The room the TV will sit in has a fair amount of light during the day, but I don't watch much TV until the early afternoon and into the evening, so glare isn't too much of an issue really. If FilterBright enhances overall picture quality regardless of glare, then I think it's worth the extra money, otherwise, probably not.

Any feedback would be surely appreciated...hopefully sooner rather than later, before the wife gets home and gives me grief for wanting to return something I purchased 30 minutes ago.
post #384 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraneses View Post

In comparing the Samsung HP-T4264 to the HP-T4254, the only differences appear to be that the 4264 has the FilterBright anti-glare screen and a usable USB port. Seeing as how I always want the better model, I just bought a 4264, yet on returning home, I found the 4254 at CC for about $300 less. Originally, the price difference between the two was about $100, so it seemed to be worth tracking down the 4264 at another retailer.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether having FilterBright and the USB port is worth the extra cash? I won't be using the USB port much, I'm mainly concerned about picture quality. The room the TV will sit in has a fair amount of light during the day, but I don't watch much TV until the early afternoon and into the evening, so glare isn't too much of an issue really. If FilterBright enhances overall picture quality regardless of glare, then I think it's worth the extra money, otherwise, probably not.

Any feedback would be surely appreciated...hopefully sooner rather than later, before the wife gets home and gives me grief for wanting to return something I purchased 30 minutes ago.

Both the 4254 and 4264 have a Filterbright film. The 64 has a heavier version called "Ultra" or "Pro" cant remember which one. I recommend only getting the 64 if you have a light issue in your room or you need a working usb port. Otherwise they are identical. PQ is identical between the 2. So you tell me is a USB port is essentially worth $300 extra.
post #385 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Both the 4254 and 4264 have a Filterbright film. The 64 has a heavier version called "Ultra" or "Pro" cant remember which one. I recommend only getting the 64 if you have a light issue in your room or you need a working usb port. Otherwise they are identical. PQ is identical between the 2. So you tell me is a USB port is essentially worth $300 extra.

Yeah, I just parsed some words in the product specs and noticed the "Ultra" on the 4264, vs. the standard on the 4254. Thanks for the input. That extra money will be just enough to get an AppleTV on the way back from CC.
post #386 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 PM

I received my 5054 yesterday.

Today, I have been playing with the settings. I must say, so far, I am happy I made the jump from LCD to plasma. The picture is just brilliant
post #387 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 PM

Huh????

I think Gizmodo needs to put the crack pipe down. Would be bad a$$ if it was true...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-ente...ess-217937.php
post #388 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung Electronics America

HP-T5064 50" Plasma HDTV with Multi Media Center (MMC)
Design by: Samsung Electronics America
www.samsung.com

Samsung's HP-T5064 50" Plasma HDTV with Multi Media Center(MMC) is a glorious HD home theater solution, connecting PC-downloaded content to a superior display while saving broadcast content on the HDD.

Location(s): Central/11033, North Hall Mtg. Rooms/N212, North Hall Mtg. Rooms/N216, North Hall Mtg. Rooms/N219, North Hall Mtg. Rooms/N221, North Hall Mtg. Rooms/N223

LINK

Looks like Samsung demoed it but did not include the MMC in the production model

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #389 of 8389 Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:

I'm looking at these two options too, and here in Spain the price dif is 160, a bit over $200 but nowhere near $300. Don't care about USB, but ability to play in a fairly bright room AND fewer reflections would be very valuable to me. Can someone explain just what Filterbright is supposed to help with, and what UltraFilterbright is supposed to do even better? Is it avoiding reflections, or avoiding wash-out when daylight is coming into the room . . .??

Thanks

CHFels
post #390 of 8389 Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFels View Post

I'm looking at these two options too, and here in Spain the price dif is 160, a bit over $200 but nowhere near $300. Don't care about USB, but ability to play in a fairly bright room AND fewer reflections would be very valuable to me. Can someone explain just what Filterbright is supposed to help with, and what UltraFilterbright is supposed to do even better? Is it avoiding reflections, or avoiding wash-out when daylight is coming into the room . . .??

Thanks

CHFels

It was about $300 in my case, as Circuit City had the 4254 on sale and I could only find the 4264 at a smaller retailer in my area at a higher price point. Both CC and Best Buy don't carry the 4264, at least yet, but it seems like it's widely available at smaller stores for some reason. At any regard, I returned the 4264 and went with the 4254 to save some money. If the picture had been better on the 4264, $300 would be worth it in my opinion, but from what everyone is saying, the specs are identitical, minus the "Ultra" FilterBright and the active USB port, which I'd probably never use.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page