Samsung xx34, xx44, xx54, xx64 Series Plasma Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Samsung xx34, xx44, xx54, xx64 Series Plasma Thread
c.h.r.i.s's Avatar c.h.r.i.s 12:06 PM 04-30-2007
What good are some setting for, if the PQ looks better with them off? Just wondering..

Sharpness 0
DNIe Off
PC Theatre Mode OFF
Energy Saver mode OFF
Dynamic contrast OFF
Digital NR OFF
Active color OFF
Black adjust OFF
Edge enhancement OFF

ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 12:11 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post

What good are some setting for, if the PQ looks better with them off? Just wondering..

Sharpness 0
DNIe Off
PC Theatre Mode OFF
Energy Saver mode OFF
Dynamic contrast OFF
Digital NR OFF
Active color OFF
Black adjust OFF
Edge enhancement OFF

All these things here are just designed to clean up a SD TV signal. OTA stuff,cable,satalitte.

When your running from a quality source like a HD-DVD,DVD player, game system etc, they should all be off. They are uncessary for uncompressed direct feed signals.
jraneses's Avatar jraneses 12:15 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyBongHits View Post

And did you set it to "analogue"? Did it solve any problems? Have those ferrite cores installed as well?

I haven't tried changing any settings yet on either the HD DVR or the Apple TV. Audio works fine 99% of the time coming from either as it is, so if I do change any settings (assuming they're available), it seems kind of pointless, as I can't easily force the problem to be reproduced.

My real question is this: Should the 4254 be able to accept digital audio through a HDMI input?

I'm trying to determine whether or not Samsung is asking 4254/64 owners to intentionally disable features in connected devices to work around a problem with the set, or if analog audio is all we should be expecting over HDMI.

Zippy, what exactly are ferrite cores?

Thanks,

Jason
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 12:23 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraneses View Post

I haven't tried changing any settings yet on either the HD DVR or the Apple TV. Audio works fine 99% of the time coming from either as it is, so if I do change any settings (assuming they're available), it seems kind of pointless, as I can't easily force the problem to be reproduced.

My real question is this: Should the 4254 be able to accept digital audio through a HDMI input?

I'm trying to determine whether or not Samsung is asking 4254/64 owners to intentionally disable features in connected devices to work around a problem with the set, or if analog audio is all we should be expecting over HDMI.

Zippy, what exactly are ferrite cores?

Thanks,

Jason

Jason the ferrite cores are those little grey magnets your TV came with. Your supposed to put em on the power and signal cords. Some people here have already stated that solved their issue.
TW, I don't doubt that MAYBE Samsung needs to update the firmware to the TV's(and thankfully its done by the USB port on the side which ANYBODY can do),but at least its a fixable solution if it is even a problem. If switching to analogue on the sound fixes the problem, then why not until a firmware fix come about. The TV set is brand new you know, takes a bit of time to work out small bugs if they exist.
jraneses's Avatar jraneses 12:30 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:

Jason the ferrite cores are those little grey magnets your TV came with. Your supposed to put em on the power and signal cords. Some people here have already stated that solved their issue.
TW, I don't doubt that MAYBE Samsung needs to update the firmware to the TV's(and thankfully its done by the USB port on the side which ANYBODY can do),but at least its a fixable solution if it is even a problem. If switching to analogue on the sound fixes the problem, then why not until a firmware fix come about. The TV set is brand new you know, takes a bit of time to work out small bugs if they exist.

Thanks for the input, I didn't know about those. I'll try placing the magnets and see if it helps. All I've done thus far is tweak the a/v settings according to your specs and others on this thread, and I didn't take too close a look at the product manual yet. Would HDMI cables with a ferrite core serve the same purpose?
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 12:33 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraneses View Post

Thanks for the input, I didn't know about those. I'll try placing the magnets and see if it helps. All I've done thus far is tweak the a/v settings according to your specs and others on this thread, and I didn't take too close a look at the product manual yet. Would HDMI cables with a ferrite core serve the same purpose?

People here said it did(concerning ferrite core wrapped HDMI cables). I just wrapped my HDMI cable with an included ferrite core. I still have yet to have a single audio issue.
jraneses's Avatar jraneses 12:37 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:

People here said it did(concerning ferrite core wrapped HDMI cables). I just wrapped my HDMI cable with an included ferrite core. I still have yet to have a single audio issue.

That's good news...I hope it works for me, as I really want to keep the set. I love it, and more importantly, so does the wife.
HT-Naimee's Avatar HT-Naimee 12:52 PM 04-30-2007
Hey guys.
Finally found out the the European models called Q96 and Q97 in the UK and Q91 and Q92 in the rest of Europe are the same as your 64 model

Given that they have only become available recently and there is little user feedback, how would you guys rate the non-HD performance?

I have lots of DVDs in both PAL and NTSC and two satellite receivers for UK and German TV. Hardly any HD offerings in Europe yet.

So what are your observations thus far? Would you still recommend the Samsung over the new Panasonic and PioneerS?

And in the tweaks thread there are settings for the different inputs. Is it possible to apply these settings and link them to the different inputs or will one have to cvhange the settings everytime you change inputs? I would be using two or three of the inputs.

And I read that the Samsung has a "D65" setting. Now somehow I cannot imagine this actually being D65 for all colours, so what's up with that?

And how high is the power consumption during normal movies?

Lots of questions, but need to know before I take the plunge.
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 01:18 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee
Hey guys.
Finally found out the the European models called Q96 and Q97 in the UK and Q91 and Q92 in the rest of Europe are the same as your 64 model

Given that they have only become available recently and there is little user feedback, how would you guys rate the non-HD performance?

I have lots of DVDs in both PAL and NTSC and two satellite receivers for UK and German TV. Hardly any HD offerings in Europe yet.

So what are your observations thus far? Would you still recommend the Samsung over the new Panasonic and PioneerS?

And in the tweaks thread there are settings for the different inputs. Is it possible to apply these settings and link them to the different inputs or will one have to cvhange the settings everytime you change inputs? I would be using two or three of the inputs.

And I read that the Samsung has a "D65" setting. Now somehow I cannot imagine this actually being D65 for all colours, so what's up with that?

And how high is the power consumption during normal movies?

Lots of questions, but need to know before I take the plunge.
D65 is "warm2" in movie mode on the set. And its pretty darn close out of the box with a basic user level calibration:

Document2.pdf 220.1767578125k . file
HT-Naimee's Avatar HT-Naimee 01:25 PM 04-30-2007
Wow! Are those the results before your calibration?
If so, what are they afterwards?
Flyfishingdad's Avatar Flyfishingdad 01:41 PM 04-30-2007
On the HDMI audio drop out issue, some have reported that there is a firmware update available that fixes this issue. Firmware updates are as easy as having it emailed to you, then you put it on a usb flash drive and plug it in, go to the menu tell it to update. Of course you can also have a tech come out and do it for you.
jraneses's Avatar jraneses 01:45 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishingdad View Post

On the HDMI audio drop out issue, some have reported that there is a firmware update available that fixes this issue. Firmware updates are as easy as having it emailed to you, then you put it on a usb flash drive and plug it in, go to the menu tell it to update. Of course you can also have a tech come out and do it for you.

Having read that on the forums as well, I thought when calling Samsung they'd be able to provide the update, but the tech said there's not currently any firmware updates available for the HP-T4254. I repeated the question, and he said they were looking into providing one, so it seemed that they were at least aware of the issue. Then he told me to change the settings on everything coming in over HDMI to use analog audio, which seemed suspect to me.
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 01:57 PM 04-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Naimee View Post

Wow! Are those the results before your calibration?
If so, what are they afterwards?

This is after a quick user level calibration. Only settings in the user menu were made.

This came from a gentleman in the calibration section. 2 other calibrators local to me got similiar results. The early word is that calibrators love this set and its picture quality.
Superstorm's Avatar Superstorm 03:44 PM 04-30-2007
Sound:

I have not had any sound problems with my 5054 with hdmi. This is with both a HD-860 upconverter DVD player and a Toshiba HD-A2. My cable box currently only has DVI and component.

PQ with DVD:

By the way, the PQ of the Toshiba HD-A2 and the Sammy 5054 look beautiful. I am currently running "A Night at the Museum" (DVD) and it looks beautiful. I am not really watching it, but it is a good DVD to get some run time on the TV. I wish I could have rented the HD version, but blockbuster (BM) only offers DVDs. No Blue-ray or HD DVD.
Flyfishingdad's Avatar Flyfishingdad 03:55 PM 04-30-2007
You can rent Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's from BLockbuster online.
trousermouse's Avatar trousermouse 09:16 PM 04-30-2007
OK, so I'm back on the fence... Today at lunch I went to Fry's to decide on either the 54 or the 64. The both looked identical in PQ but I did notice a little bit of red push compared to the other plasmas. No big deal. About 2 TV's over was the new Panny 75U and I noticed the black detail was much better than the Sam's. At one point there was a person on the TV who had on a dark navy pinstripe suit. On the Samsung's the suit looked almost black with very little detail but the Panasonic you could actually see the stripes. I played with the settings on the 64, turning off Dynamic, adjusting the contrast, brightness etc but I couldn't get any more detail out of the blacks.

From reading the forums, I believe it is called black crush. Has anyone noticed a problem with this on the 54/64's?
f1restarter's Avatar f1restarter 09:39 PM 04-30-2007
damn. i thought the black crush was only limited to the HP-S4253!
Chilli_Dog's Avatar Chilli_Dog 09:41 PM 04-30-2007
With the proper adjustments, you should have little or no black crush with this TV. I used AVIA to dial in my settings and, after some minor tweaks, I haven't had any black crush problems at all.
emp3r0r's Avatar emp3r0r 11:52 PM 04-30-2007
I've been using the 5054 as a HTPC front-end for about 10 days and I really like this TV as it works well as a PC monitor. The size/resolution allows you to easily read text in menu's and websites from 10 feet away. If it were @ 1080p it'd be much harder to read at this distance. I've only tested this TV briefly with VGA as I've been mostly using a DVI to HDMI cable from the HTPC.

There seems to be some sort of voltage leak/limit on each row of pixels that causes horizontal lines to show up based on the brightness or darkness of the adjacent pixels in a row. So if I have a bright area and a dark area and a neutral area to the side, the colors on the side are skewed a bit. It is easy to see this effect on a desktop with a couple windows open.

Close up

It is easier to see at a distance and especially when you drag the windows around.

On what I think is a related note, when I run the screen wash, which fades from white to black, I'll notice some flickers in the mid to dark gray area as it moves leftward. It only happens once or twice per iteration. Is this normal?

I've also noticed a bit of a noise problem on the HDMI connection. It's really odd because about the top 4 and left 5 rows of pixels have no noise. I think it is due to a cheap HDMI cable so I plan to try a better one soon.

One last thing, the reflection on this TV isn't too bad. I have a mirror in the back of the room and I can see the reflection of the TV in the TV. It isn't too distracting but I plan to remove the mirror soon. An extreme example

Finally, I'm really sensitive to high pitched noises and sometimes I can hear a slight buzz when I have a few windows open on the desktop or there is just an abundance of white on the screen. I hope it becomes less noticeable once it is wall mounted.
CHFels's Avatar CHFels 02:47 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trousermouse View Post

OK, so I'm back on the fence... Today at lunch I went to Fry's to decide on either the 54 or the 64. The both looked identical in PQ but I did notice a little bit of red push compared to the other plasmas. No big deal. About 2 TV's over was the new Panny 75U and I noticed the black detail was much better than the Sam's. At one point there was a person on the TV who had on a dark navy pinstripe suit. On the Samsung's the suit looked almost black with very little detail but the Panasonic you could actually see the stripes. I played with the settings on the 64, turning off Dynamic, adjusting the contrast, brightness etc but I couldn't get any more detail out of the blacks.

From reading the forums, I believe it is called black crush. Has anyone noticed a problem with this on the 54/64's?

Was one of the things you turned off "DNIe"?? If not, that is your culprit. It is the great mother of all black-crushers. Not the same thing as "digital noise reduction" by the way.

If you DID turn off DNIe, then your experience is very surprising . ..

CHFels
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 06:13 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trousermouse View Post

A. First off, there is no "red push" at all with this set. The color decoding is probably the biggest strength on the set. Its been verified with test equipment. If you want accurate color decoding you need to set the controls to movie on "warm2" with color reduced to around 48 with the tint control set to G 54/46 R .

B. There is an overabundance of red though in the grey scale. This can be adjusted via the White balance controls in the set through offset and gain controls.

C. DNIe and edge enhancement needs to be shut off as well. There are settings on both "Picture" and "Settings" control areas.

D. As for black crush. If you had the TV set to "Dynamic" or "Standard" blacks will be crushed. You need again to be on "movie" mode.
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 06:16 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1restarter View Post

damn. i thought the black crush was only limited to the HP-S4253!

It is, there is no black crush on the 54 when set up correctly.
Tag66's Avatar Tag66 06:20 AM 05-01-2007
In case anyone is about to buy, Amazon just dropped the prices on the 5054 and 5064. EIther can be had for less than 1.9k shipped and the 5064 is actually cheaper than the 5054.
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 06:21 AM 05-01-2007
Emp3rOr: If your getting a bit of "noise" did you go into settings, under "PC" then to the "Image lock". There are coarse and fine tune adjustments there to get rid of "noise".
HoustonPerson's Avatar HoustonPerson 06:25 AM 05-01-2007
emp3r0r,

Is it possible that those lines you see is caused by your video card? In the pictures above?

I have seen video cards do strange things when connected to certain monitors? I saw this exact same effect on a large screen Mit's DLP. It would do that when showing either "windows" or "jpeg" pictures direct from the card reader?
brentsg's Avatar brentsg 09:30 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonPerson View Post

emp3r0r,

Is it possible that those lines you see is caused by your video card? In the pictures above?

I have seen video cards do strange things when connected to certain monitors? I saw this exact same effect on a large screen Mit's DLP. It would do that when showing either "windows" or "jpeg" pictures direct from the card reader?

I can confirm that my 5054 also has the horizontal lines on menu items and such. It looks exactly like emp3r0r's screenshots. This is true of the Xbox menu, PS3 menu, etc.

I just figured all plasmas did it, am I wrong?
oxfdblue's Avatar oxfdblue 09:52 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag66 View Post

In case anyone is about to buy, Amazon just dropped the prices on the 5054 and 5064. EIther can be had for less than 1.9k shipped and the 5064 is actually cheaper than the 5054.

Awesome post-- I ordered my 4264 from Amazon 29 days ago... They have a 30 post-order price match policy. Just got a 128.54 refund from them!!

Thanks for the heads up!
davidos's Avatar davidos 10:13 AM 05-01-2007
What is the difference between the 5054 and the 5064? I want to get in on the Amazon deal... Why is the 64 cheaper? Is it inferior?
Thanks!
llama34's Avatar llama34 10:23 AM 05-01-2007
Skippy - do you know why my DNIe option is "On" and greyed out so I can't turn it off? This is via my HDMI input
ZippyBongHits's Avatar ZippyBongHits 10:26 AM 05-01-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post

I can confirm that my 5054 also has the horizontal lines on menu items and such. It looks exactly like emp3r0r's screenshots. This is true of the Xbox menu, PS3 menu, etc.

I just figured all plasmas did it, am I wrong?

I gave the answer to eliminating this noise. Read my last response.
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop