Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishingdad View Post

Worried about power? Replace your incandescent bulbs with compact florescent bulbs (you can find some with a very natural looking full spectrum light) and that will offset any extra power consumption from your TV, probably give you a net gain in power saving.

I think I mentioned in my post that I pay the highest rates in the country...I would be an idiot if I wasn't already doing this.

Quote:

Also, Plasma screens power ratings are peak, they put out more or less power depending on brightness of the screen. I haven't noticed any spike in my power bill since switching to my plasma from my old JVC 32 inch. Oh, and that JVC still gets used as well, in the family room for the kids shows and video games...it replaced our 15 year old 25" GE.

I realize the figure is max, that is why I asked if anyone had the wherewithal to track usage for a half-day or so, to get an average.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How well does the 4254 upscale?

My dvr just died so I am shopping for a replacement.

I am looking at the Panny EZ17 and EZ27. Only difference is the EZ27 will upconvert....for $50 more.

Should I spend the extra for the upconversion or let the 4254 do it?

tia

Samsung Plasma TV FAQ - read it, learn it, live it.
post #633 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 09:09 AM

The Samsung upscales well for a TV. It does very well with SD signals. As to which is better, the Samsung or the DVR, I wouldn't know.
post #634 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottatl View Post

For those of you that purchased on Amazon, the price dropped again today, time for more credit.

On which set? I bought the 64 for $1862.15 and that's the price I still see them selling it for. The 54 hasn't changed price either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeln2672 View Post

Just placed my order for the 64 on Amazon!!! Sucks to have to wait 10 or 11 days to get it, but it's probably worth the couple hundred bucks I saved. This'll give me a while to read up on settings and prepare my place anyways. Thanks to everyone here...this decision was NOT an easy one, and it's the patience and willingness to share of the posters here on AVS that helped me finally pull the trigger!

Is everyones shipping from Dallas? Mine shipped on May 2nd and it's STILL in Dallas.. WTF? It's only going to Austin.
post #635 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by trousermouse View Post

On which set? I bought the 64 for $1862.15 and that's the price I still see them selling it for. The 54 hasn't changed price either.

I think he's talking about the 4264...price went down again by like $15 or something.
post #636 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM

Hi guys.
I have a couple questions.
I bought a Sony DVPNC85H/B upconverting DVD player yesterday and hooked it up to my 4254 via HDMI last night.

When I watch 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen movies I have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

1) Shouldnt I be able to use "Just Scan" to remove the bars and fill the screen? I see no difference between 16:9 and "Just Scan". I tried "Wide Fit" but it doesnt fill the screen completely. The black bars are still 1.5 icnes wide. Maybe I am reading the manual wrong, but I thought the purpose of just scan was to fill the sreen when using a HDMI connection.

2) Will I have screen burn in if I watch a 2 hour movie with the black bars on the top and bottom?

3) Did I make a mistake by buying widescreen movies instead of fullscreen?

One last note, to get rid of the black bars, I can zoom the DVD player and fill the screen, but unfortunately it constantly displays a X2 icon on the screen.
post #637 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E View Post

Hi guys.
I have a couple questions.
I bought a Sony DVPNC85H/B upconverting DVD player yesterday and hooked it up to my 4254 via HDMI last night.

When I watch 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen movies I have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen.

1) Shouldnt I be able to use "Just Scan" to remove the bars and fill the screen? I see no difference between 16:9 and "Just Scan". I tried "Wide Fit" but it doesnt fill the screen completely. The black bars are still 1.5 icnes wide. Maybe I am reading the manual wrong, but I thought the purpose of just scan was to fill the sreen when using a HDMI connection.

2) Will I have screen burn in if I watch a 2 hour movie with the black bars on the top and bottom?

3) Did I make a mistake by buying widescreen movies instead of fullscreen?

One last note, to get rid of the black bars, I can zoom the DVD player and fill the screen, but unfortunately it constantly displays a X2 icon on the screen.

2.40:1 and 2.35:1 widescreen movies will have letterbox bars at the top still. Your TV is 1.78:1.

BUrn in is not going to be an issue. Just keep pixel shift on, and use the scrolling maintenance screen at the end of the evening when you done with the TV. Keeps the screen perfect. Widescreen movies are the correct format for your TV too.
post #638 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
s4b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyBongHits View Post

2.40:1 and 2.35:1 widescreen movies will have letterbox bars at the top still. Your TV is 1.78:1.

BUrn in is not going to be an issue. Just keep pixel shift on, and use the scrolling maintenance screen at the end of the evening when you done with the TV. Keeps the screen perfect. Widescreen movies are the correct format for your TV too.

Man, I keep forgetting about the pixel shift feature. I have it set to zippy's recommended 4:4:1. This seems like an awesome feature. I'm getting less and less paranoid about burn in...at least with the 5054. Do other brands have this feature? Just wondering.
post #639 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zip, you said earlier that you can replace grey bars for the black ones on movies and 4:3 right? Do these lighter bars leave IR like the black ones do?

twitter.com/Cynnthetic
I own X360 - Wii - PS3
I see @ 1080p
I'm BROKE!
post #640 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E View Post

Hi guys.

Just scan means no over scan. All TV's over scan, most 2-5% (some more) they do this so you can not see the "junk" that can be at the sides of the image.

When you use just scan the image is scaled to the exact size of the screen so you see the complete image but you may see some lines and or distortion at the edges.
post #641 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 05:55 PM

I have a 4254 connected through HDMI to both my HD DVR and DVD. I'm around 60 hours of break-in DVD usage and a couple of High Definition viewing using Zippy's settings. So here is my question:

Is it me or this TV tends to have a greenish picture?
post #642 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo232 View Post

I noticed this as well on the one at the store, I just assumed that they didn't calibrate it correctly.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #643 of 8389 Old 05-05-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Colo232, now that you have had the 4254 for a while now how does it stack up to the old LCD?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #644 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:

I have a 4254 connected through HDMI to both my HD DVR and DVD. I'm around 60 hours of break-in DVD usage and a couple of High Definition viewing using Zippy's settings. So here is my question:

drop the green down in the greyscale adjustments if you want color closer to 5500k. My settings are for D65. Blue and green are emphasised at that temp in this set.
post #645 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Colo232, now that you have had the 4254 for a while now how does it stack up to the old LCD?

So far the only difference I see is the lack of motion blur compared to LCDs. The blacks have a little edge over LCDs, but just very little. I still have 23 days to keep playing with it. I'm still a little preoccupied for the greenish picture and would like to know if someone else is experiencing this.
post #646 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 11:59 AM

You will find the blacks are a tad deeper, but the detail is significantly better. LCD's tend to crush blacks more, and thats due to the technology limitations.
post #647 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 PM

How long is everyone running there anti-burn features?

Are you using both white and scrolling or just scrolling? For how long?
post #648 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 01:18 PM

scrolling. Minimum I'd recommend is about an hour at a time on the scrolling for it to be useful.
post #649 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:

So far the only difference I see is the lack of motion blur compared to LCDs. The blacks have a little edge over LCDs, but just very little. I still have 23 days to keep playing with it. I'm still a little preoccupied for the greenish picture and would like to know if someone else is experiencing this.

Well... this is what I found on last year's model (HP-S4253) review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HP_S...pdtl-list&ar=o

The symptoms are very much alike to my 4254. Any thoughts? I will keep my researching.
post #650 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

Well... this is what I found on last year's model (HP-S4253) review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HP_S...pdtl-list&ar=o

The symptoms are very much alike to my 4254. Any thoughts? I will keep my researching.

This is the actual review on this years set: http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/pla...ps42q97hdx.htm

The review you posted was of last years model. This year features an entirely new phospher panel and 18 bit color processing controls. Completely different animal. Colors and grayscale are now accurate, no false contouring.

If you see a "greenish" tinge in the picture its due to the GRAY SCALE being out of adjustment. Do you know how to adjust the gay scale correctly?
post #651 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshuaalpha View Post

I had a 42" panny px75u and it had an awesome feature of when I put it to 4:3 it made the bars on the side go to gray. that was when I was watching hd channels and the channel wasn't broadcasting in hd. so basically the grey bars just replaced the black ones. I thought ok cool. I took that tv back cuz I thought it was too small and after reading these forums I decided to get the Sammy 5054. When I tried to use the 4:3 mode however, instead of just replacing the black bars and leaving the image the same it squished the whole image in so the grey bars were on the outside but the black bars were still there beside them squished in between the grey bars and the image.

So basically I am forced to watch the non hd with the black bars in 16:9 mode. Is this a mistake on Samsungs part becasue it seems retarded. I use a pvr hdtv cable box and sometimes watch non hd channels and am worried that the black bars will burn in. Same thing, I switch to 4:3 and it just horizontally squishes everything in and makes the image unwatchable. I have played around with the settings to no avail and am thinking about taking it back and getting the panny 50".

If your watching 4:3 content(1.33:1 full screen). Then set the Samsung to 16:9, it will stretch the picture properly. If your watching 2.40:1 widescreen content and don't want the black bars at top or bottom set the TV to "Zoom 1".
post #652 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM

So my TV arrives this week and I have a few questions on calibrating it. Which video calibration DVD is the best? Also, doesn't this just calibrate the TV for the DVD player since each signal source is different?
post #653 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Bo View Post

I tried Zippy's settings but with all do respect to Zippy they didn't appear well on my set, neither did others posted. Maybe it's because I am using component cables? I don't know, they are pretty close to factory settings with some minor tweaking here and there (don't remember exactly what I changed). Once it's been on for a while, broken in and I can take off the pixel shift I will try to really fine tune it.

If your set looks "vivid" you probably have it set too high.

Did my settings look a bit "dull" to you? Let your eyes get used to a more subdued picture over a few days. My component settings are pretty darn accurate.
post #654 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:

This year features an entirely new phospher panel and 18 bit color processing controls. Completely different animal. Colors and grayscale are now accurate, no false contouring.

Which one was the phosphor panel used last year and which one this year?

Quote:

If you see a "greenish" tinge in the picture its due to the GRAY SCALE being out of adjustment. Do you know how to adjust the gay scale correctly?

No, I don't know. I'm using your settings.
post #655 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Which one was the phosphor panel used last year and which one this year?

No, I don't know. I'm using your settings.

My settings may be different from yours. You cable provider or DVD player could output a very different signal than mine. Adjust accordingly. Find a good grey scale pattern and determine this.

53 series is last year, 54/64 series is this year. The review in the link I gave is the European version of the 4254.
post #656 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM

Hello all. I hope this is the proper place for such an inquiry.

I'm researching 42" plasmas for my Dad and have the sets narrowed between the Samsung HP-T4254 and Panasonic TH-42PX75U. We would just be playing SD DVDs for the time being, but will eventually invest in one of the high-def formats. My question was how (I'm fairly new to this) a 1080p signal is handled by a 1024x768 resolution. I certainly realize quality will be lost, but was curious as to how the 1.33:1 rectangular pixels of such a display will look. Does this cause any goofy scaling issues? Does anyone have a BD/HD-DVD paired with a 42" plasma? Thanks in advance.
post #657 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbuck View Post

Hello all. I hope this is the proper place for such an inquiry.

I'm researching 42" plasmas for my Dad and have the sets narrowed between the Samsung HP-T4254 and Panasonic TH-42PX75U. We would just be playing SD DVDs for the time being, but will eventually invest in one of the high-def formats. My question was how (I'm fairly new to this) a 1080p signal is handled by a 1024x768 resolution. I certainly realize quality will be lost, but was curious as to how the 1.33:1 rectangular pixels of such a display will look. Does this cause any goofy scaling issues? Does anyone have a BD/HD-DVD paired with a 42" plasma? Thanks in advance.

The 4254 is a 1.78:1 display(16:9), not 1.33:1(4:3)as you think. No goofy scaling issues at all. I run HD-DVD off my 42". Looks spectacular. Better than any current 42" 1080p LCD on the market currently if set up correctly.
post #658 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:

The 4254 is a 1.78:1 display(16:9), not 1.33:1(4:3)as you think. No goofy scaling issues at all. I run HD-DVD off my 42". Looks spectacular. Better than any current 42" 1080p LCD on the market currently if set up correctly.

Thanks so much for responding, Zippy. Sorry for the confusion -- I meant the PIXELS themselves were 1.33:1 (due to 1024x768 versus 1.78:1 pixels of 1280x720 or 1920x1080). I understand it's a widescreen display. I'm glad to hear this has little/no adverse effect on the picture. I have to admit, some of the new 1080p LCDs look very nice, but I figure once out of the fluorescent light-bathed showrooms they'd start to show deficiencies. Our family would be viewing from 8-10' down a basement (i.e. little to no light) so I'm sure they'd value deep, inky blacks more than 1080p. Looks like the 4254 may be in order.

Also, depending on how this format war razzmatazz unfolds, I'd consider either an HD-DVD player or PS3. I had heard whisperings of the PS3 only outputting BD movies on 1080p or 480p. Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have a PS3 on a 1024x768 display? Sorry to keep hammering away with these questions. I just want to be certain high-def movies won't be wasted on a 42" 768p plasma.
post #659 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

PS3 will output in 1080p 1080i 480p 480i but not 720p for BD (Sony messed this up but "promised" to fix this with a firmware update)

They fixed it with the 1.8 update.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #660 of 8389 Old 05-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Eh, I hope Sony gets in gear and makes that update. I'd like to output something closer to the native resolution. Is there a sizable difference between 1080i and 720p on a 768p display? If I'm unlikely to discern the difference at 8-10' then I won't give any more thought.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page