AM3 Articulating Arm Mount by Premier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any of you guys have experience with this mount. I have a TH-50PX500U that I am going to mount and I'm leaning towards this particular model. Looks to be extremely sturdy (holds 160lbs) but I am wondering what the profile is and how far the tv will be off the wall when the mount is stowed.

Anyone have an AM3 that would like to share your thoughts?

Thanks

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-15-2007, 12:21 PM

I just got mine mounted, ahem, and then remounted this week.

Here's two photos I posted in that thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10267741

It is not exactly a flush mount.

I managed to drill the two lower holes in the wrong position, then managed to still miss my mark so dremeled out the slots a bit. BUT then found that centering the bracket did not allow the TV to flatten into that corner so had to shift the mount to the right about 1.5 inches. Therefore, the mount and REmount aspect.

It is a WEIGHTY device. I actually managed it alone but it took some ingenuity.

The template is handy but I wanted the TV at a certain height and was not sure that their CENTERING feature would work vis a vis the bezels and my limited stud locations, etc. My wall is a pocket door slot and so the studs are not in the normal direction to create the adequate void for the sliding door.

But so far it is up. I did loosen the bolts to allow it to move a bit easier.

Hope this helps. More ????'s
post #3 of 14 Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I read somewhere else where a tv as heavy as my 50" plasma causes the mount to bind. How difficult was the bolt loosening that you had to do? Someone said that they had to pry the endcaps off.

Kurt
post #4 of 14 Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 PM

I used a kitchen butter knife to pry them off - they are plastic (two different sizes, actually). They do fit quite tightly.

Then I used a ratchet wrench on the BOTTOM bolts (nuts??) I just wrenched, fiddled and tightened a bit again. I don't think the top ones are designed to loosen. I did email them (after the fact) and the reply was that they can be loosened. I don't want it so loose that if (when) and earthquake happens, it will articulate too much on its own. I don't always "retract" it but an earthquake could even happen while watching.

My tv weights about 45 (40 inch sony) pounds. I liked the design but it may have been overkill for my size tv. I just thought it looked more "finished" then some of those cut, sheet steel ones. I also liked it being able to fully articulate whereas a few others I looked at were more limited in motion.

Oh, I got it from Nerds.net and it arrived pretty fast - heavy mother!!!! Tons of screws/bolts.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2 View Post

I used a kitchen butter knife to pry them off - they are plastic (two different sizes, actually). They do fit quite tightly.

Then I used a ratchet wrench on the BOTTOM bolts (nuts??) I just wrenched, fiddled and tightened a bit again. I don't think the top ones are designed to loosen. I did email them (after the fact) and the reply was that they can be loosened. I don't want it so loose that if (when) and earthquake happens, it will articulate too much on its own. I don't always "retract" it but an earthquake could even happen while watching.

My tv weights about 45 (40 inch sony) pounds. I liked the design but it may have been overkill for my size tv. I just thought it looked more "finished" then some of those cut, sheet steel ones. I also liked it being able to fully articulate whereas a few others I looked at were more limited in motion.

Oh, I got it from Nerds.net and it arrived pretty fast - heavy mother!!!! Tons of screws/bolts.

Thanks a lot for all of the info. I am planning on buying mine from nerds.net as well.

Sorry for inundating you with questions but I have one more. So your tv weighs about half of what mine does. Do you believe that it is the right mount for 110 lbs? I like the sturdy look as well over the sheet metal brackets. I think you have sold me on this thing.

Thanks

Kurt
post #6 of 14 Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM

Just make sure you can find the STUDS!!!! As I eluded to above, the studs I had available run 90 degrees from normal (pocket door structure) so I was working with less depth for the lag bolts to bite into. I did not hang from the arms but did my share of tugging and a friend who has done construction said that the 2x4 in the narrow profile (4x2???) should hold quite effectively.

There is some additional discussion in another older thread which I cannot find at the moment. Some guy went to Fry's and the salesperson did hang from it supposedly!

The thing is machined well in my opinion - cast and welded and the HINGES are heavy bolts from what I can tell.

If I have any skepticism - its the FOUR (4) bolts that hold the tv to the mounting brackets. I have to presume that they are engineered so that Sony and Premier believe that they will hold the weight. Are they spec'ed for only static movement or can they withstand violent shaking????

And no problems asking questions - it is hard to scope it out. I considered this unit and read about it on various websites. But I was kind of surprised when I saw it "live and in person" at Frys - it was HUGE! Then I tried lifting the box - HEAVY. (by the way, Fry's would NOT match any web prices). It really is intended for a hefty TV, I believe.

A piece of nice furniture might be nice but my location did not work.

Have fun.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have no problem finding the studs. Thanks for the info. I'm sold. Just bought mine through nerds.

Thanks

Kurt
post #8 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 09:41 AM

Wonder if you ever installed and and how it is performing with a heavier TV?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Wonder if you ever installed and and how it is performing with a heavier TV?

+1

Just ordered my TH-50PX77U today!

I have mounted a 32 on an Omni-mount articulating before. Finding studs is no problem with the electronic stud and wires scanners!
post #10 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Liked: 11
I've recieved my AM3, but no screen for it yet

Quote:

I actually managed it alone but it took some ingenuity.

It is beefy, not sure how you mounted it yourself!?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM

No hernia (close) but the pinched nerve in the neck did not appreciate it and my lower back may have suffered a bit more.

I should have video taped it (but don't have a video).

I used one of those sectional ladders (bend and/or extend) and used climbing webbing and hung the AM3 from a rung. Carefully, angled and raised ladder. Moved it to the wall slowly and then leaned the ladder toward the wall adjusting to the right height and location. Care was needed because, frankly, the AM3 was like a wrecking ball as it swung from the webbing and I was trying to keep my 100 year old lath and plaster intact and not drop it on to the similarly aged oak floor. It was like Laurel and Hardy hang a tv mount except in this case it was just ME. I did manage to catch the webbing between the wall and mount and had to cut it to free it.

The TV hanging was also just as tricky, particularly, liberating the Sony's pedestal.

Only to find I was too close to the corner wall - I did mention Laurel and Hardy and they were joined by Abbot and Costello!!!! I managed to fix it by reversing parts of the operation but not entirely removing it from the wall. I angled a 2x4 under it and wedged it against the floor and AM3 and shifted the entire thing right two inches or so.

I needed a challenge and could not find a friend when I wanted it done.

Last week was dedicated to pulling the wiring through the pocket door wall (without interferring with the sliding door) and down into the basement and then back up to components. More fun trying to respect "this old house" while accomplishing what I wanted.

So what SCREEN are you aiming for - something BIG, I hope, to amortize the cost, size and weight of the AM3 (G)

And while the self-mount was a challenge - try getting some help. Really, the issue is getting the screen where you want it since the template is not necessarily geared (sized) to where your screen's mounting screw holes, bezels, etc might be.

Also, on my Sony (somthing I forgot to mention above), the HDMI and component plugs are sandwiched up behind the AM3's horizontal member and bracket making it hard to get the cables into place.

But it has impressed friends. With slightly loosened bolts, it moves reasonably well.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-26-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:

It was like Laurel and Hardy hang a tv mount

I have to wait a couple more weeks until my new house is done, then will put up the mount with a Pioneer 5070 attached.

I definitely plan on getting help from a friend or neighbor! I figured it would be a solid mount, but had no idea it would weigh so much...
post #13 of 14 Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 AM

Just put mine up - was much easier than I thought (with help from wife & 5 yr old son)! It seemed so solid I decided to test it out. I weigh close to 200lbs & did a pull up on it - no hint of trouble!!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-05-2007, 07:00 AM

Hey, I was hoping that you'd post back.

Congratulations on successful mounting. I'm sure it went better with the help of the 5 yr old son! (G) Oh, yes, and the wife.

I did some tugging on mine and thought about the pullup but figured it would lever somewhat against my 90 year old plaster/lath and possibly fracture it.

Also, as I probably posted, my lag bolts are the studs in the short dimension so I don't have quite as much screw-thread into solid wood. As a matter of fact when pushing through the wiring, I was able to wedge the pocket door a bit and peer into the hollow and see about 3/4 of an inch of lag sticking out the rear end of the stud. I think it is secure enough but I will just hope for the best.

I really do appreciate its swing distance from the wall and in my case, particularly out of the corner. Nice mount.

Enjoy your setup.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page