Samsung Plasma, Showing red on white screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I feel like the color red has burned into my samsung s4253 , when i hit the show all white button, it shows me the white screen, i can see liek a faded red strip of color in spots of the screen, and it is noticable when watching tv too. What should i do. I have the pizel protector dvd, would the color wash feature get rid of that, or did i completely ruin my plasma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-06-2007, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 40 Old 05-06-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I had the same problem on my 50 inch set. At first I thought that it was red push but it became more noticable during soccer and hockey games. I suspect that in my case it was due to the wipe burn in protection setting. Have you used this feature for a prolonged period of time?
post #4 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

yes i have used that feature before...
post #5 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 AM

The white screen(or scrolling white to grey screen if you have it)will need to be run for HOURS at a time to have any significant effect at removing IR or burn in. If you want to remove the red strip you see your going to need to run that screen overnight most likely. Maybe even 2 or 3 nights. But it needs to run a long time.
post #6 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

What I was getting at is that I did run that wipe screen overnight to remove some IR but I think that instead it burned into the screen. I had noticed a red push on whites but what I saw was definitely burn in so again I think it could have been caused by the scrolling wipe screen.
post #7 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

What I was getting at is that I did run that wipe screen overnight to remove some IR but I think that instead it burned into the screen. I had noticed a red push on whites but what I saw was definitely burn in so again I think it could have been caused by the scrolling wipe screen.

No, its not. The scrolling white screen REMOVES those artifacts. Doesn't induce them. You cant burn something into the screen that constantly moves across in a uniform pattern from white to black. It does that to remove all artifacts and to help even out the phospher aging process.

Burn-in will leave after images of text or static patterns. Patterns that contantly move/change won't burn it.

The wipe/scrolling screen is designed to be used for MANY hours at a time. In fact the Samsung instructions tell you that you need to at the very least run it for an hour to get any useful benefit from it.
post #8 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

so i will run the singal pattern... but what wouldve caused the red cloud to come in...? i just have no idea what it would be from... i do play some video games but it just deosnt seem like normal burn in
post #9 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimiluca View Post

so i will run the singal pattern... but what wouldve caused the red cloud to come in...? i just have no idea what it would be from... i do play some video games but it just deosnt seem like normal burn in

Could be a defect? I would need to see a screen shot with the issue to be of any help.
post #10 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 05:36 PM

I have the same problem with my hps4253. The service tech came out and noticed it right away- I'm just waiting to hear back about my replacement. It's being exchanged under Best Buy's 4 year service plan. The problem was driving me crazy, it was especially noticeable during gaming and shows like Planet Earth with snowy scenes.
post #11 of 40 Old 05-15-2007, 10:58 PM

It'd be interesting to see who else suffers from this same problem. Mine seems to get worse every day, or maybe I am just looking at it. Either way, I can't stand it
post #12 of 40 Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

A friend of mine has a Samsung with a smiliar problem, mostly purples and greens showing up on black and white images. I'm guessing it's a flaw in the video processor, I told him he should get it looked at under warranty but I'm not sure if he has contacted them yet.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

i guess i will just have to call samsung and have one of their reps check it out
post #14 of 40 Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimiluca View Post

i guess i will just have to call samsung and have one of their reps check it out

good luck. I called Samsung April 9th and have had two different service techs come out and look. The first called it in to Samsung and they said it was burn-in and wrote me off. The second just barely came out the other day and I have yet to hear back anything. It's been almost two months and the problem is getting worse.
post #15 of 40 Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

A friend of mine has a Samsung with a smiliar problem, mostly purples and greens showing up on black and white images. I'm guessing it's a flaw in the video processor, I told him he should get it looked at under warranty but I'm not sure if he has contacted them yet.

I get this problem to, especially with greens but other people say they don't see it. Sort of like the rainbow effect. Ugh
post #16 of 40 Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Well some good news in the last few days. Samsung has approved an exchange through BB were I bought the set. The second service tech recognized the problem right away and must have got approval from the manufacturer. Now, the question of whether I get another Samsung or not...
post #17 of 40 Old 06-07-2007, 12:12 PM

Let me contribute what I saw on my new 4264 delivered to me on 5/15.

When showing all white screen, there are 4-5 magenta and greenish vertical stripes alternating across the screen. I noticed this the very first day. I posted this weeks ago but no one responded.

Called the support and a local tech showed up the next day. As soon as he looked it, he told me that has nothing to do with the electronics at all. The panel was bad. Immediately he ordered a new TV for me. The whole visit lasted 5 minutes. I am still waiting to receive the replacement TV. I hope this is not the same banding issues I read a while ago in the LCD forum.
post #18 of 40 Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM

Any updates? I have the same problem on my HP-S4273 that I got from that buy deal. It's most noticeable in dark scenes and it seems like as if the brightness is too high but it's not.

Edit:

Sometimes the problem is there and sometimes its not. The best way to tell is whenever I turn on the set I run the THX optimizer from my 1 of my Star Wars DVDs and I skip to the part where it says the shades around the letters "THX" are supposed to be dark or barely noticeable. Well, when the problem is there it's so bright that I can turn the brightness all the way down and it will barely have any effect on the shades. Other times when I run the optimizer it looks just like its supposed to.
post #19 of 40 Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Liked: 44
For those of you with this RED issue on your Samsung PDP, can you please just do a quick repost and tell me the following settings that you are using:

Contrast
Brightness
Color Temp. (warm, cool, etc)
Color Saturation
Sharpness

I have been able to help many Samsung users, maybe I can help you.

Please also include your model # in your post.

Regards,

Lee
post #20 of 40 Old 06-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Hi Lee,

Here are my settings:

HP-S4273

Contrast - 54
Brightness - 61
Color Temp. (warm, cool, etc) - cool1
Color Saturation - 27
Sharpness - 10
post #21 of 40 Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonkeeMan View Post

Hi Lee,

Here are my settings:

HP-S4273

Contrast - 54
Brightness - 61
Color Temp. (warm, cool, etc) - cool1
Color Saturation - 27
Sharpness - 10

Quote:

Any updates? I have the same problem on my HP-S4273 that I got from that buy deal. It's most noticeable in dark scenes and it seems like as if the brightness is too high but it's not.

Sometimes the problem is there and sometimes its not. The best way to tell is whenever I turn on the set I run the THX optimizer from my 1 of my Star Wars DVDs and I skip to the part where it says the shades around the letters "THX" are supposed to be dark or barely noticeable. Well, when the problem is there it's so bright that I can turn the brightness all the way down and it will barely have any effect on the shades. Other times when I run the optimizer it looks just like its supposed to.

Hi and welcome to AVS

I combined your posts so that I can refer to your issue and settings at the same time.

Before I start, I will need to ask you a few more questions because your issue seems to come and go - not constant.

Does this issue appear on all sources? What sources are you using (SAT, DVD, etc) and are any HD capable?

Are you running your sources through a receiver /switcher and what make and model?

Have you checked the video connections and wiring from the source to your display? What video connection are you using? (HDMI, Component, S-Video, etc)

Are the DNie, Digital NR and Film Mode all in the off position?

EDIT:

RED - can you be more descriptive about this? You say you have a "red push " issue but you are using the brightness control to try to control it? Is that right?
Are colors "blooming" - getting brighter than they should be?

END OF EDIT

From what I see from your setting:

Contrast - 54 - seems a little low
Brightness - 61 - seems a little high
Color Temp. (warm, cool, etc) - cool1 - have you tried NORMAL?
Color Saturation - 27 - seems a little low
Sharpness - 10 - good

Are you using the COOL1 setting to try to offset the "red push" issue as it introduces more blue tint than the NORMAL?

The more you can tell me, as far as the answers to my question, the less we have to play "post office."

Lee

EDIT:

First thing to try will be to turn the Color Sat. adjustment to ZERO (0) and see if the issue continues. Switch Color Temp to NORMAL while doing this.

Is the image that you see a true B & W or does it have a tint to it and if tinted, is it uniform all over the image?
post #22 of 40 Old 06-18-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebisme View Post

My 3 month old 1140HD Elite just started having the same issue.

The picture has either a green or purple overtone to it, depending on the channel or program. It was perfectly fine up till now. And no amount of adjusting can get it out.

I was watching it one night last week when the colors changed literally right before my eyes. I haven't touched any of the color or contrast controls since the first month I had it.

It's also showing more of that "creeping moss" effect and more blocking on all sources. And you can hardly see any detail in the blacks now and the picture is less clean and sharp (mostly in the SD satellite signals). The normally great processing dealt with all those issues very effectively before, so something's amiss there, too.

The lowest quality signals look the worst, but you can see the colors are all off and sort of faded, too, even on OTA HD. Same goes for the splotchy "moss" and general "noise".

Tweeter is picking it up tomorrow to bring it in where they can do side-by-side comparisons. When the tech looked at it here, after giving it a good once-over, he said, "Well, it doesn't look that bad to my eyes, but I have nothing to compare it to".

But he kept going back to the HD signals, and kept trying to tell me that "the lower quality signals are never gonna look any good", when every source and program had consistently rich and accurate colors, and looked absolutely great before.

I'm a month past the exchange point, so I don't know what's gonna happen. Apparently, Tweeter just filed for bankruptcy, and the local store where I bought it has already closed down.

If they can't rectify the problems, then I'll probably end up having to ship it to Pioneer - which is going to be a REAL chore in itself (it's 50").

So this can happen even on an expensive, supposedly superior grade Pio Elite.
post #23 of 40 Old 06-19-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

My 3 month old 1140HD Elite just started having the same issue.

The picture has either a green or purple overtone to it, depending on the channel or program. It was perfectly fine up till now. And no amount of adjusting can get it out.

I was watching it one night last week when the colors changed literally right before my eyes. I haven't touched any of the color or contrast controls since the first month I had it.

It's also showing more of that "creeping moss" effect and more blocking on all sources. And you can hardly see any detail in the blacks now and the picture is less clean and sharp (mostly in the SD satellite signals). The normally great processing dealt with all those issues very effectively before, so something's amiss there, too.

The lowest quality signals look the worst, but you can see the colors are all off and sort of faded, too, even on OTA HD. Same goes for the splotchy "moss" and general "noise".

Tweeter is picking it up tomorrow to bring it in where they can do side-by-side comparisons. When the tech looked at it here, after giving it a good once-over, he said, "Well, it doesn't look that bad to my eyes, but I have nothing to compare it to".

But he kept going back to the HD signals, and kept trying to tell me that "the lower quality signals are never gonna look any good", when every source and program had consistently rich and accurate colors, and looked absolutely great before.

I'm a month past the exchange point, so I don't know what's gonna happen. Apparently, Tweeter just filed for bankruptcy, and the local store where I bought it has already closed down.

If they can't rectify the problems, then I'll probably end up having to ship it to Pioneer - which is going to be a REAL chore in itself (it's 50").

So this can happen even on an expensive, supposedly superior grade Pio Elite.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Would you please stay in touch with this thread as you have two issues here:

1. The set itself and it's problems
2. Dealing with Tweeter

Regards,

Lee
post #24 of 40 Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Would you please stay in touch with this thread as you have two issues here:

1. The set itself and it's problems
2. Dealing with Tweeter

Regards,

Lee

Sure.

They just came and took away the set this morning, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks.
post #25 of 40 Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM

As my subject line reads, my philips 9431 plasma also suffered from the same vertical banding...and yes, looking though the vent slots, it used a Samsung panel.

After my 3rd return (thanks Costco) I just called it quits and got an HP 4260N....no vertical banding there and, to me, it's a nice tv.

Anyway, in my opnion, it's a definate Samsung panel design flaw...I have no doubt. I even went to the local B&M stores before my HP purchase, and sure enough, the Philips and Samsung displays all exhibited the pink vertical bands (either subtle or severe).

At least I now know I wasn't crazy...or not alone in being crazy
post #26 of 40 Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Hi!
I see the thread is a bit old, but it's title is exactly my problem!
I'm using Samsung PS63C7000 plasma TV. Few months I bought it some strange white noise started showing when screen was white or showed large bright areas. It's getting worse and worse.
I also noticed that it's even more visible when tv menu or satellite box menu is activated.
I don't what's causing all this... does it qualify for exchange or is it my fault?
The TV isn't used for long hours, and I tried not to leave it paused on bright screens. Please help...
post #27 of 40 Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM

I noticed this on my tv last night as well. On an all white screen, I have 2 vertical bands around 4 inches wide. Its pretty faint to where I can't take a good picture of it, but its there enough to stand out and be noticable on a white screen only. They are visible on a number of different picture settings that I've tried.

The band on the right is closer to the edge than the band on the left, however they are roughly the same width. I have no idea where the speakers are located in this set, but I was wondering if these red bands (at least mine) could be caused by speaker interference? Longshot, but possible?
post #28 of 40 Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 AM

mine is a bit different... it's horizontal, but faints towards left side of the screen. It's strongest in upper right corner.
I don't think speakers have anything to do with it, as I'm using external home cinema set. You should try if your noise show even when the speakers are disabled?
In my case im pretty sure it has something to do with bright images. however when displaying light grey or such (close to white) there is no noise. And if only parts of the image are white there is no noise as well. It only shows when displaying logos on white background for example. But when it does show, its pretty strong and very noticable...
post #29 of 40 Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM

I have the same problem with mine. Still under warranty, called Samsung and they sent a local tech to look at it. He took a picture of the red on white. Then he took the back off the set, made an adjustment and it is 99% fixed. He sent the picture to Samsung and I got a call the other day that they will now replace my 58 inch plasma. BB said I'll get a refund then I can buy a new TV. Now I need to decide on a new plasma.
post #30 of 40 Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page