Panasonic 42pz700, 50pz700u, 50pz750u, 58pz700u and 58pz750u Owners Thread! - Page 314 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9391 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1409 Post(s)
Liked: 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKRUZx View Post

Ive searched within this thread and cannot find how one accesses the service menu.

Can you say "brick"? As some other posters have learned much to their dismay, that's what you can turn your brand new 58" Panny into if you're not careful. Although the procedure has been mentioned numerous times on this thread, which can be found by using the Search This Thread feature, it's not recommended unless you are really, really careful and fully understand what you're doing.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9392 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my 50PZ700U set up last night and it looks great! However, when I change the HD Size to Size 2 under the Other Adjust Menu, there is this white fuzzy line of distortion at the top of the screen. When I change it back to Size 1, it goes away and it's fine. Is there something wrong with the TV or could it be my cable provider?
post #9393 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post

I just got my 50PZ700U set up last night and it looks great! However, when I change the HD Size to Size 2 under the Other Adjust Menu, there is this white fuzzy line of distortion at the top of the screen. When I change it back to Size 1, it goes away and it's fine. Is there something wrong with the TV or could it be my cable provider?

There's nothing wrong with your set or your cable provider. Size 2 is 0 overscan and what you're seeing is normal. Size 1 makes your image slightly larger than the screen size which is why you don't see it there.
post #9394 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I love the Size 2 settings. Yes, you do occaisionally see some weirdness on the edges, but I think the set looks sharper (I assume because it is 1:1 pixel mapping rather than expanding ) and I like seeing all the picture. I had my previous CRT RPTV adjsuted to about 3.5% which is all I could get out of it without massive distortion on one side.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #9395 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

I love the Size 2 settings. Yes, you do occaisionally see some weirdness on the edges, but I think the set looks sharper (I assume because it is 1:1 pixel mapping rather than expanding ) and I like seeing all the picture. I had my previous CRT RPTV adjsuted to about 3.5% which is all I could get out of it without massive distortion on one side.

Agree...Size 2 is true 1:1 pixel ratio...Size 1 zooms image (~95%)...even in Size 2, most content is free of edge noise...if it's there, I ignore it since the Size 2 picture is "cleanest" and sharpest by definition (true 1:1), with no loss of intended picture content...or if you prefer, switch from Size 2 to Size 1 when you see edge noise.
post #9396 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN1212 View Post

Size 2 is true 1:1 pixel ratio

I'm afraid not that often. The SA 8300HD cable box, for example, gets about 1300 lines max resolution.
post #9397 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony T View Post

Others have already answered your question about Mode 2. The "noise" at the top is things like closed captioning data that is put there in analog broadcast TV (a "system" that assumes all TVs overscan and so the "distortion" isn't visible). So most likely that source either is broadcast, or was derived from a broadcast stream (possibly even upconverted).
post #9398 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemenewd View Post

Others have already answered your question about Mode 2. The "noise" at the top is things like closed captioning data that is put there in analog broadcast TV (a "system" that assumes all TVs overscan and so the "distortion" isn't visible). So most likely that source either is broadcast, or was derived from a broadcast stream (possibly even upconverted).

Ok, thank you.
post #9399 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just exchanged for my third and final 50pe700u. The first had stuck/bad pixels 6 to be exact, the second had two, and (drum roll) the third has 3. They are really visible on a blue or white screen.

I have also noticed a big difference, which I didn't realize until last night, in the number OTA channels I receive between each set. All of which leads me to believe they may have some QC issues with this model.

I finally contacted Panasonic and I'm going have a tech come out since they said this was not normal. I'm giving them a shot to see what they say since I still have approx 45 days to return it and say goodbye to Panasonic which would be difficult and I absolutely love the tv otherwise and not sure what else I'd buy. I did tons of research and and everything pointed me here. I didn' even think it was possible to have bad/stuck pixels on plasma.

I also must say I am impressed but Costco. I actually joined to buy/order this tv on sale and they have been terrific, Will defiantley buy again form them. If they will sell to me

Just in case in anybody is interested the first tv came from California with a build date of Nov., the second I got here in Orlando with a build date in Oct. and the third I got last night here in Orlando with build date in Dec.

Its been about 15 years since had stats in college but I believe that is pretty good sampling and what tells me what I could expect if was actually motivated to exchange it again. If I could find it, I think Costco is almost out of these.

Kagolu
post #9400 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Are you sure it's not the source that is causing the stuck pixles? Are they visible from normal viewing distance? I haven't heard many people complain about stuck pixels and it does seem odd that you have 3 bad sets in a row. I'm not pointing fingers or blaming you in anyway, but maybe there is something in your house that is causing the problems.

For the OTA reception, my set can vary on a daily basis based off of weather!
post #9401 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

The first had stuck/bad pixels 6 to be exact, the second had two, and (drum roll) the third has 3. They are really visible on a blue or white screen.

How far away from the set can you see them? Just curious.

As to Costco, we've been using them "forever" and they are a magnificent company both to customers and to their employees (and why they've a very high retention compared to competitors -- even though there are stockholders who want them to go to the dark side and maximize profits in the short term (minimizing in the long term)).

They used to take TV's back a couple years after you bought it -- but some people started buying a TV, taking it back in a couple of years where they just bought a new bigger/better one with just a portion of the cash they got back. People taking advantage of them made them trim back quite a bit -- but they're still the best around. We signed up for the executive membership where you get a percentage refund once a year -- and that refund more than pays for the membership every year so far. :-)
post #9402 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

Are you sure it's not the source that is causing the stuck pixles? Are they visible from normal viewing distance? I haven't heard many people complain about stuck pixels and it does seem odd that you have 3 bad sets in a row. I'm not pointing fingers or blaming you in anyway, but maybe there is something in your house that is causing the problems.

For the OTA reception, my set can vary on a daily basis based off of weather!

They are on both hdmi inputs and ota. The tv is hooked up to a Newpoint 204200 surge/noise filter. And the the hot, common and ground to the outlet are wired properly and there nothing else on the line except a ps3 and a dvd player.

As far as the ota i was only a few hours between the two, and the weather was fine. (75 & Sunny here in Fl-Sorry guys couldn't help my self

The pixels are viewable to me from about 6 feet. My couch is at 10 feet so no you can't see them form normal viewing distance, but I don't want spend the next decade looking for them either. Panasonic is sending someone out on Monday so they think is is problem as well.

I appreciate your help I'm just pretty disappointed.

Kagolu
post #9403 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems the 800us and the 850s are right around the corner. Just found this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-32896587.html

Maybe I will look there if I can't get it fixed by a minor repair.

Kagolu
post #9404 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Just exchanged for my third and final 50pe700u. The first had stuck/bad pixels 6 to be exact, the second had two, and (drum roll) the third has 3. They are really visible on a blue or white screen.

Stay with Panasonic and with Costco. The sets you're returning are most likely being sold at reduced prices to folks who want one of the top rated plasmas on the market and couldn't care less about a few dead pixels.

Did you ever think of using dead pixel repair software? Fairly inexpensive.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #9405 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 PM

I vaguely remember one of the forum sponsors claiming that several of his customers had success in unsticking pixels by playing Pixar Movies. I believe the theory was that the saturated colors got the pixels working.

I can't personally vouch for the method, but it can't hurt to try.
post #9406 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Stay with Panasonic and with Costco. The sets you're returning are most likely being sold at reduced prices to folks who want one of the top rated plasmas on the market and couldn't care less about a few dead pixils.

Thats pretty bad if Panasonic created and is selling a PE model just to get rid of there defective screens. The reduced cost is supposed to be because of the "cheap" stand and different bezel.

Kagolu
post #9407 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty17 View Post

I vaguely remember one of the forum sponsors claiming that several of his customers had success in unsticking pixels by playing Pixar Movies. I believe the theory was that the saturated colors got the pixels working.

I can't personally vouch for the method, but it can't hurt to try.

I did download a pixel repair program and burn it to DVD( a Pain) I tried for a few hours on the other set with no success and it's been running since last night on this tv. As of about 11:00am it hadn't worked.

The program is jscreen fix I think. Maybe I'll rent a Pixar movie tonight and give it a shot. Thanks

Kagolu
post #9408 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Costco is not selling defective sets. You are correct in that it is only a bezel and stand change. It wouldn't make much sense for them to retool more than that to sell the sets at a slightly lower price to Costco.

Are you sure that these are really dead pixels? Does the pixel ever change colors? I have had 4 plamas and I have never witnessed a dead pixel (I have experienced every other problem a set can have though).
post #9409 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Costco is not selling defective sets. You are correct in that it is only a bezel and stand change. It wouldn't make much sense for them to retool more than that to sell the sets at a slightly lower price to Costco.

Are you sure that these are really dead pixels? Does the pixel ever change colors? I have had 4 plamas and I have never witnessed a dead pixel (I have experienced every other problem a set can have though).

The dead ones look like there is nothing there and the stuck ones look like they flutter (only word I can think of) on white and blue screens. Like you I didn't think it could happen to a plasma.

Kagolu
post #9410 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:

The dead ones look like there is nothing there and the stuck ones look like they flutter (only word I can think of) on white and blue screens. Like you I didn't think it could happen to a plasma.

Bizarro...this forum is witness to some of the great complainers of all-time...yet almost no one has ever complained of stuck pixels on a 700U...not that I doubt you...but how is it possible that next to no one has ever had a stuck pixel issue with the 700U yet you seem to own the rights to such occurrences.

Again, I do not doubt you...but, you must admit, it is bizarre...surely, there would be a poll addressing the issue (think Kuro Buzz) or even a healthy and lively Panasonic thread, had this been an even remotely common issue.

Either you have incredibly bad luck...or there is a "hitch in your plasma giddyup."

Good Luck!
post #9411 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And you had this problem on three sets? That is so weird! Have you tried using a different HDMI cord? Where are the pixels, in the center or off to the side? Do you see them on both DVD and HDTV sources? I have never heard of this issue before, especially since you got three sets in a row with the problem!!
post #9412 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Ericthemidget, I'll to post a pic tonight when I get home form work. May be later though wife is a writer/translator and behind on a deadline. Darn work always get in the way.

Kagolu
post #9413 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thats pretty bad if Panasonic created and is selling a PE model just to get rid of there defective screens. The reduced cost is supposed to be because of the "cheap" stand and different bezel.

I wasn't implying the PE model was any less of a quality plasma then the PZ, simply that if you're returning a "brand new" set, then I would imagine it cannot be sold as "brand new" again, rather it must be sold as "open box" at a discount from their regular price. I stand by Panasonic and Costco, especially on their return policy.

post #9414 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN1212 View Post

Bizarro...this forum is witness to some of the great complainers of all-time...yet almost no one has ever complained of stuck pixels on a 700U...not that I doubt you...but how is it possible that next to no one has ever had a stuck pixel issue with the 700U yet you seem to own the rights to such occurrences.

Again, I do not doubt you...but, you must admit, it is bizarre...surely, there would be a poll addressing the issue (think Kuro Buzz) or even a healthy and lively Panasonic thread, had this been an even remotely common issue.

Either you have incredibly bad luck...or there is a "hitch in your plasma giddyup."

Good Luck!

Yeah like I kind of suggested earlier. It is pretty much statistically impossible for these to have 2% failure/defect rate and I get 3 of them from different build dates. The only way it is possible is if the rate is higher or nobody ever seems to notice. I may have never noticed on my first one if I didn't try to do the right thing and run the Breakin DVD.

Look around a few other people have had this with Pioneer as well and I did post a poll (13-4 Defective)

Kagolu
post #9415 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't implying the PE model was any less of a quality plasma then the PZ, simply that if you're returning a "brand new" set, then I would imagine it cannot be sold as "brand new" again, rather it must be sold as "open box" at a discount from their regular price. I stand by Panasonic and Costco, especially on their return policy.

I feel pretty comfortable with Costco they do have refurb sets according the Costco Concierge but they are clearly labeled and I think only on line. I took these from right under their "New" display and there was nothing about refurbished anywhere.

Kagolu
post #9416 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Even if the defect rate is 5%, you seem to have some bad luck my man! I do think it may be something on your end though, because you did get 3 bad sets in a row.

On these boards there were be a huge thread if this was a rampant problem. We are the biggest bunch of bitches when it comes to display perfection!
post #9417 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:47 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

I feel pretty comfortable with Costco they do have refurb sets according the Costco Concierge but they are clearly labeled and I think only on line. I took these from right under their "New" display and there was nothing about refurbished anywhere.

Okay, let's try this one more time .... You bought a "brand new" set (3 actually), however, you are dissatisfied in that you can see a few dead pixels, which is your perogative. The majority of folks wouldn't even know they were there, so when you return your "brand new" set, they will gladly pay a few hundred less than the original price because it is "open box" when they put it back on the shelf or sell it on line.

I would also agree with Eric. statistically speaking, the problem most likely stems from your end.

post #9418 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Even if the defect rate is 5%, you seem to have some bad luck my man! I do think it may be something on your end though, because you did get 3 bad sets in a row.

On these boards there were be a huge thread if this was a rampant problem. We are the biggest bunch of bitches when it comes to display perfection!

Hey to call us all bitches is offensive to bitches But with that said I have no idea what I could doing wrong. The house is wired properly and I didn't turn on the power till everything was hooked up.

Kagolu
post #9419 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, let's try this one more time .... You bought a "brand new" set (3 actually), however, you are dissatisfied in that you can see a few dead pixels, which is your perogative. The majority of folks wouldn't even know they were there, so when you return your "brand new" set, they will gladly pay a few hundred less than the original price because it is "open box" when they put it back on the shelf or sell it on line.

I would also agree with Eric. statistically speaking, the problem most likely stems from your end.

Whatever. Would you keep a similar problem when you bought an old CRT ( I know, different technology)?? I wouldn't, so why would I keep it something that costs 10 times as much. I'm looking for suggestions on what I'm doing wrong and what I could do to cause this.

Kagolu
post #9420 of 10939 Old 03-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

And in any case I think Panasonic's Plasma rate is 1%.

:-)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Plasma Lcd Tv Remote Control N2qayb000100 N2qayb000102 Supplied With Models Pt 50lcz7 Pt 5 , Panasonic
Gear in this thread - N2qayb000100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page