Official Panasonic PX75U / PX77U Owners Thread *NO PRICE TALK* - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bball View Post

quick question: how long does it take your unit to come on after hitting power on the remote? On mine, there's a good ~7-10 seconds between the red power light coming on and the screen showing the picture. Is this normal?

thanks in advance.

That is normal.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansere View Post

Hi, just picked up the Costco version of the TH-50PX77U today. Ran the Cox Motorola DVR in via HDMI 1 and audio out to my older Bose surround sound using the audio out jacks. When I turn off the plasma's internal speakers, I can no longer use the volume control on the remote, I get a "speaker off" dialogue box. There has got to be a way to use the remote to control volume when you use external sound, isn't there?

I also tried changing the EZ Sync speaker setting to "Theater" but that doesn't do anything as I think it is only for Panasonic components.

BTW, the Bose has a RF control, so I can't "program" it as an "Aux" device.

What have others done?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am using a cheap Logitech Harmony 676. It works great and will operate your Bose as well. I have a Bose Lifestyle system. Their support is great too if you have any questions. I got rid of 5 remotes by using it.

Keith
post #3003 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

How much overscan does your TV have? If it's 2% I wouldn't worry about it.

The test pattern has bars on the side number from 14 down to ???? (can't see the last number). The test says you should be able to see the number 4 which is an acceptable amount of overscan. I can only see the 6.

On the vertical it says you should be able to see the 3. I see 2 on top and 6 on the bottom.
post #3004 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2004 View Post

I'm curious. Did any of you owners of this Panny plasma consider power consumption when deciding on your purchase?>

The specs on this 50 inch Panny tell me it draws a bulging stupendous tremendous 695 whopping watts. In comparson to some 50 inch LCD displays, which draw half that amount, it makes me pause as to which technology is the most affordable in the long run. I'd say I like the picture quality of the Panny plasma more than any LCD I saw at the store, but the watts, the watts, the watts.....

thanks

mike

I am assuming we are all aware that this is a peak power consumption number on plasmas vs. LCD.
A plasma does not sit there drawing 700 watts all day or every moment it is on.

Plasma does not use a backlight like LCD does. LCD's backlight is always on and drawing the big watts all day long.

Perhaps someone else has some per year ratings that compare the actual apples to apples wattage averaged out over a year of typical viewing. My "guess" is they are closer than one might think to the point that power consumption is not even an issue. Certainly less of an issue compared to the price of LCD, the motion blur and the poor black levels and lack of contrast and depth on LCD.

Be sure to unplug your cell phone charger when its idle as well if your concerned with power. etc. etc. etc.

Maybe this thread should read "did anyone consider the gas scam going on before they bought thier Yukon or Hummer".

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
post #3005 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM

I'm about to break down tomorrow and buy the Panasonic TH-42PC77U from Costco. I've ready many reviews and went and watched several tv's, and it seems like at $1,099, this is one of the best plasmas I can get. My only concern is the footprint. I'd prefer not to buy a new tv stand, so before I buy, I'd like to find the dimensions of the stand.

This Costco model has the same stand shown in post #2484.

Does anyone know what the width is of this stand?
post #3006 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward00 View Post

I'm about to break down tomorrow and buy the Panasonic TH-42PC77U from Costco. I've ready many reviews and went and watched several tv's, and it seems like at $1,099, this is one of the best plasmas I can get. My only concern is the footprint. I'd prefer not to buy a new tv stand, so before I buy, I'd like to find the dimensions of the stand.

This Costco model has the same stand shown in post #2484.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but just as an FYI...the 42" and 50" models use different stands, so make sure the dimensions you get are for the 42". I have the 50" PC77u and I just looked in the manual (which is shared for both models) and there are 2 part numbers listed (one for 42" and one for 50") I tried googling the part number for you, but no results were found.

You could always go measure the stand at Costco.

Why not get the 50" for $1549 @ Costco? I just picked one up last week after selling my 42" and it is a MUCH better fit for my 10' viewing distance!
post #3007 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 10:20 PM

I second the confusion on the prominence of the SD buttons. Seems like a marketing gimmick.
post #3008 of 5981 Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Set up my new 50PC77U yesterday night and watched Transformers. Played some Wii, then suddenly the left half of the screen is black. Fiddled with the remote to see if a button was accidentally hit to no success. Powered unit off and screen is fine. Tonight while watching TV, 3-1/2 inch vertical strips that are 3-1/2 inches apart suddenly appear! I called Costco support and we went through the reset process but the stripes are still there. Unfortunately, Panasonic is closed so we were not able to speak with any of the techs. Just curious if anyone has run into this problem. Needless to say, I'm taking this unit back.
post #3009 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 06:16 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward00 View Post

I'm about to break down tomorrow and buy the Panasonic TH-42PC77U from Costco. I've ready many reviews and went and watched several tv's, and it seems like at $(not allowed), this is one of the best plasmas I can get. My only concern is the footprint. I'd prefer not to buy a new tv stand, so before I buy, I'd like to find the dimensions of the stand.

According to the Owners Manual that i downloaded from Panasonic dot com, the duckfoot stand is 31.9" wide by 12.7" deep. That's the same size as the stand on my old TH-42PX50U.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #3010 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

According to the Owners Manual that i downloaded from Panasonic dot com, the duckfoot stand is 31.9" wide by 12.7" deep. That's the same size as the stand on my old TH-42PX50U.

I must not be looking in the right place. Could you also tell me the dimensions of the stand on the TH-50PX77U?

I know we're not supposed to have any price talk, but this will be borderline. For the same amount I'd be paying for the 42PC77U at Costco (with a 2-year warranty) I can buy an open box 50PX77U brand new open box unit from another company. The one from Costco has a 2-year warranty and the open box unit will only have about 7-8 months of warranty. That's it for price talk, no my question. I know Panasonic has a good track record so I'm not too concerned about the warranty; however, there's always a chance you may need it. Given Panasonic's quality on these specific units, would you opt for the smaller tv and better warranty, or larger tv and lesser warranty?
post #3011 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but just as an FYI...the 42" and 50" models use different stands, so make sure the dimensions you get are for the 42". I have the 50" PC77u and I just looked in the manual (which is shared for both models) and there are 2 part numbers listed (one for 42" and one for 50") I tried googling the part number for you, but no results were found.

You could always go measure the stand at Costco.

Why not get the 50" for $1549 @ Costco? I just picked one up last week after selling my 42" and it is a MUCH better fit for my 10' viewing distance!

Ya, the 50" is a better deal. I'm actually debating between the 42" (42pc77u) from Costco and a brand new open box (50px77u) from another company. They are both $1150. The Costco unit has a 2-year warranty since it's new and the open box unit only has 7-8 months of warranty left. I don't really want to spend $1600 right now so that's why I'm not realy considering the new 50" from Costco. Opt for the 50" even with the lesser warranty?

Also, I was noticing at Costco that both the 42pc and the 50pc have the same duckfoot stand. So, the PX units must have the pedestal stand the the PC units must use the duckfoot stand.
post #3012 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 08:42 AM

post #3013 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 08:43 AM

post #3014 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91bball View Post

quick question: how long does it take your unit to come on after hitting power on the remote? On mine, there's a good ~7-10 seconds between the red power light coming on and the screen showing the picture. Is this normal?

thanks in advance.

And if you are HDMI, part of the delay is probably due to the handshake, i know it takes me a few seconds when switching from HDMI 1 to 2 as well.
post #3015 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Hi, I just helped a buddy of mine set the Panasonic 50pc77u from BJ's Wholesale and I was wondering if someone could help me with any particular Break-in Settings, along with long term settings.

Question, what are the short and long term effects from IR?
Is there any potential for permanent burn-in?

Thx,

Thanks, Dave
post #3016 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 AM

I recently got an HDMI cable (thanks Monoprice!) and hooked my cable box to my TV. Next I moved the optical audio cable that used to go out from the cable box and into my receiver to now go out of the TV instead. The thought was that the audio going in the TV's HDMI port should pass through the TV and out the opticial audio-out port unaffected. Unfortunately, the Dolby-Digital audio going into the TV via HDMI goes out of the TV as Pro-Logic II. Now I don't know for sure that Dolby Digital is coming out of the cable-box's HDMI port, there are no settings that I can find on the cable box, but the audio coming out of the cable box's optical port is Dolby Digital. I know this may be confusing, but any thoughts?

Thanks!
Bob
post #3017 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobretro View Post

I recently got an HDMI cable (thanks Monoprice!) and hooked my cable box to my TV. Next I moved the optical audio cable that used to go out from the cable box and into my receiver to now go out of the TV instead. The thought was that the audio going in the TV's HDMI port should pass through the TV and out the opticial audio-out port unaffected. Unfortunately, the Dolby-Digital audio going into the TV via HDMI goes out of the TV as Pro-Logic II. Now I don't know for sure that Dolby Digital is coming out of the cable-box's HDMI port, there are no settings that I can find on the cable box, but the audio coming out of the cable box's optical port is Dolby Digital. I know this may be confusing, but any thoughts?

Thanks!
Bob

First - Try searching this thread for audio pass thru or optical out tv. There quite a few people that have posted the same question.

Second- So i don't seem too snotty, all audio passed via HDMI will be changed to 2 channel on the televisions optical out. this should be true for all TV's via HDMI. Only OTA DD is sent unchanged by optical out. You must go from your cable box to your receiver to get DD 5.1.

Peter
post #3018 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM

This may be a stupid question, but if you have an A/V receiver, why would you run your audio through the tv? I only ask because I was planning on running my audio directly from the cable box to the AV reciever via an optical wire.
post #3019 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagwell View Post

This may be a stupid question, but if you have an A/V receiver, why would you run your audio through the tv?

You wouldn't.
post #3020 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave98 View Post

HELP!

Ok so the 2 bozo's come from the offical Panisonic authorized repair place to install the felt kit on my tv for the clicking. First I have to provide a blanket so they can lay the tv down on it's face (like the owners manual says not to do). Then they proceed in taking the tv apart and I have to be the 3rd man and help lift the plasma display out and hold it while the other "tech" guy installs the felt kit. They put it back together and the picture is terrible and there is a red line running from the top to the bottom. They take the back cover off and determine they have scratched a wire and will thus have to replace the whole plasma unit! They basicly throw it in the truck I ask don't you have to secure it and they say na you are getting new guts!

I'm ready to call panisonic and ask for an entire new tv!

Advice!!!!

It's like buying a new car, takeing it in for an oil change and they have to replace the engine and tranny!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I haven't called to have the felt kit installed yet. I'm more worried about what they will do to the TV while fixing it, vs this problem. I will say that the clicking is much less than when the TV was new. It's about 4 months old now, and clicks much less.
post #3021 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG_NH View Post

This is exactly why I haven't called to have the felt kit installed yet. I'm more worried about what they will do to the TV while fixing it, vs this problem. I will say that the clicking is much less than when the TV was new. It's about 4 months old now, and clicks much less.

Someone else on this thread indicated the clicking noise goes away over time. For me, it definitely isn't worth the risk to have someone tear my tv apart and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.
post #3022 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyTalk View Post

Didn't see this answered in any of the posts here. I have a 42PX77U. Is there any way to adjust the centering and overscan on this display? Played the HDNet display test pattern and it shows the centering is off and there is bit more overscan then I'd like to have. TIA!

I finally called Panasonic on this. They said you have to call a service center to come out to make these adjustments and it would not be covered under warranty. I am kind of dissappointed that these common adjustments are not able to be done by the end user and that this obvious factory defect is not a warranty item.
post #3023 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM

I have a question regarding calibrating my 50PX75U - how did you go about calibrating yours? I have the Avia DVD, but it seems geared toward CRT's (not surprising since it was released in 1999) and likely as a result, I've always found using it to be confusing (just my opinion, of course, because plenty swear by it).

Currently, I'm using settings that were posted in this thread, and they don't look bad, but I realize that each TV should be individually set given the unique lighting conditions in the room. I'm aware of the benefits of calibrating a TV, but I certainly don't want to pay the several hundred dollars I've seen quoted for a professional to do it. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks in advance.
post #3024 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

and I will be putting this in my room, my roommates are too cheap to chip in for a tv for our living room

fine with me!

post #3025 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Greetings

please no price talk (see title of thread)

posts deleted

Thanks
post #3026 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 06:41 PM

new to the plasmas but i just bought the panny TH-42PZ77U, do i need to break it in or calibrate it? How do i go about doing that? The best connections i currently have are component, from the xbox if that helps any.
post #3027 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907 View Post

new to the plasmas but i just bought the panny TH-42PZ77U, do i need to break it in or calibrate it? How do i go about doing that? The best connections i currently have are component, from the xbox if that helps any.

Yes to both - do a search here for break in dvd.

Use caution not to leave anything sitting on the screen like logos or desktops.

I had some image retention issues using Beyond TV - even sparingly.

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
post #3028 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

Greetings

please no price talk (see title of thread)

posts deleted

Thanks

sorry about that

can I ask why not though?
post #3029 of 5981 Old 10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I will be picking up my 42" Panny plasma tomorrow!

I am stoked...can't wait to play around with it
post #3030 of 5981 Old 10-23-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagwell View Post

This may be a stupid question, but if you have an A/V receiver, why would you run your audio through the tv? I only ask because I was planning on running my audio directly from the cable box to the AV reciever via an optical wire.

Well, there are reasons. I get stations over standard cable that I don't get through my cable box. I only have 2 optical inputs on my receiver, but 3 devices that have optical outputs (DVD, Cable, TV). So the thought was that if I could run the HDMI from my cable box to the TV, then whether I'm watching something via my TV tuner or something from the cable box, my receiver would be on the TV input.

Bob
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 50px75u 50 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Th 42px77u 42 Inch 720p Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 50px75u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page